PDA

View Full Version : So How Many Others Exercised Their Right To Vote By Not Voting?

FaninAma
11/8/2006, 01:24 PM
I've never stayed away from the ballots since I gained the privilige to vote. But I could not in good conscience keep voting for the GOP who have turned a deaf ear to the principles of their party. And I damned sure as hell wasn't going to vote for the Democrats, especially that knucklehead Henry.

Hopefully a lot of staunch GOP supporters took this opportunity to send a message to the party. Hopefully the GOP faithful and their party will be reenergized in the next election.

The biggest risk in this tactic was that the Dems could have swept to larger gains than they did but their own ineptitude made certain this did not happen.

Now they have a thin majority in the HoR and basically no majority in the Senate although they will be the party in control. And in the next election they can't run on their best plaatforn plank which is "Vote for me because I'm not a Republican or a member of George Bush's party."

achiro
11/8/2006, 01:27 PM
My thoughts on this whole election is that a bunch of folks did exactly what you did. You screwed us all!:D

mdklatt
11/8/2006, 01:29 PM
And I damned sure as hell wasn't going to vote for the Democrats, especially that knucklehead Henry.

You're not inAma anymore?

MamaMia
11/8/2006, 01:30 PM
I voted, but I left the Lieutenant Governor portion blank.

Tear Down This Wall
11/8/2006, 01:32 PM
Ama,
I'll exercise the right to not vote in 2008 if McCain or any other G.O.P. Senator who screwed up the legislation that the House passed from 2001 to 2006 is the nominee. Texas won't have another governor's race until 2010. I can easily sit it out until then.

fadada1
11/8/2006, 01:36 PM
i've done it once or twice. as soon as we get a candidate i feel is worthy of getting my vote... then i will do my american duty.

i'm no fan of W. and i surely wasn't a fan of kerry. "lesser of two evils" you say???? i say "i won't settle".

FaninAma
11/8/2006, 01:42 PM
Ama,
I'll exercise the right to not vote in 2008 if McCain or any other G.O.P. Senator who screwed up the legislation that the House passed from 2001 to 2006 is the nominee. Texas won't have another governor's race until 2010. I can easily sit it out until then.

A lot of those guys kind of got their arses handed to them in this election. But I do agree with you. I think the primaries will take care of the rest.

FaninAma
11/8/2006, 01:44 PM
You're not inAma anymore?

Nope. Change the middle letter of Ama to a d.

crawfish
11/8/2006, 01:47 PM
I voted Libertarian, mostly.

1stTimeCaller
11/8/2006, 01:49 PM
I didn't because I forgot to vote early or do absentee. I wouldn't have voted anyways because I'm registered in TX and am kinda moving from there. I just didn't care this election.

Petro-Sooner
11/8/2006, 01:52 PM
Straight ticket GOP! The only way to vote. :texan:

TUSooner
11/8/2006, 01:54 PM
Don't "not vote"; at least vote for a third party!!

GrapevineSooner
11/8/2006, 01:57 PM
Well, I voted for Kinky and other Liberterians when I had the chance. Only voted for Repubs when they were unopposed or opposed only be Dems.

Pricetag
11/8/2006, 02:00 PM
Yep. Only when they see those numbers jumping up will the two main parties take notice.

FaninAma
11/8/2006, 02:05 PM
I would have voted 3rd party but I didn't know enough about the party platforms or the candidates.

Pricetag
11/8/2006, 02:10 PM
I would have voted 3rd party but I didn't know enough about the party platforms or the candidates.
That's a responsible thing to do, but when these guys are getting three to five percent of the vote, it's pretty safe to assume that they won't win, and that all you're doing is making a statement (which you also did by not voting, but it could still allow both sides to assume it was apathy, rather than outright disapproval). I'd think both parties would react long before these people actually start winning elections.

Scott D
11/8/2006, 02:16 PM
That's a responsible thing to do, but when these guys are getting three to five percent of the vote, it's pretty safe to assume that they won't win, and that all you're doing is making a statement (which you also did by not voting, but it could still allow both sides to assume it was apathy, rather than outright disapproval). I'd think both parties would react long before these people actually start winning elections.

In some states they have been winning elections. The two most obvious examples are probably the two most polar opposite examples of Joe Lieberman and Jesse Ventura. There is more of a problem of people pressuring their states to allow more 3rd party candidates to be on election ballots, along with fully recognizing that people should be allowed to register to vote as something other than Democrat or Republican.

leavingthezoo
11/8/2006, 02:22 PM
i voted every incumbent out. in two years, if i'm still ****ed off, i'll vote every incumbent out again. :mad:

OSUAggie
11/8/2006, 02:34 PM

Why? The only reason to vote (for people that are disgusted with the way things have become) would be for/against bonds and the like, not for people. These people have done nothing to show any sort of resemblence to the principles of the American political system, and in reality have turned the system into a complete joke. If the Democrats have the ability to fix it, they haven't really communicated that ability too well, as they tend to get stuck on non-issues (that are extremely divisive) like boys kissing, which plays into the hands of the Republicans and their faithful flock of absolute nutjobs.

They forget that for the most part people want to have the ability to grow up in a safe place, attend school without getting shot in the head, and either continue their education or start working. They don't want to have to worry about Ahmed blowing up their plane in a never-ending retaliatory action, Whitey blowing up their building b/c black people and/or Catholics and Jews are allowed to live freely, or DeAndrefarious bussin' a cap in their *** for $216.52 at the beer store. Instead, they treat people, both domestic and foreign, with disdain and their policies have created a global f'ing mess. The Republicans buy into the Crazy Christian ideology and and Democrats say a lot of good things but do absolutely nothing. Even though most Republican policy is laughably stupid, at least they do something. Every bit of it is sickening.

tbl
11/8/2006, 02:45 PM
I voted Libertarian, mostly.
Ditto. If you REALLY want to send a signal to the republicans, that's the way to go.

Scott D
11/8/2006, 02:53 PM
perhaps, but Libertarians are out there on some issues.....I'm starting to get serious in considering forming the American Party.

IB4OU2
11/8/2006, 02:59 PM
I bet the terrorists love this thread....

Hey Scotty is the American Party any kind of spinoff from the old Black Panther movement? ;)

FaninAma
11/8/2006, 03:01 PM
perhaps, but Libertarians are out there on some issues.....I'm starting to get serious in considering forming the American Party.

How about 2 entirely new parties: The Man Law party and the Woman Law Party.

Of course the Woman Law party members would be too busy talking about everything they dislike about members of the Man Law party to ever get organized. :D

No fruiting the beer....Man law!

Scott D
11/8/2006, 03:03 PM
Nah..we are gonna have a quality platform...

1. Charging Canada for 250+ years of back rent.
2. Charging Mexico for all bills associated with legal and illegal immigrants
3. Letting goods from countries who try to shaft us in trade rot on the docks when they arrive until said countries change their trade laws in reference to American goods
4. Limiting the amount of defense lawyers, prosecution lawyers, and lawyers within a radius.
5. Making it illegal for anyone with a law degree to be a representative in the Federal government
6. Reforming immigration laws
7. Reducing the deficit by sending reconstruction bills to Germany, Italy, France, Japan, and China

How can you not love that platform ;)

FaninAma
11/8/2006, 03:04 PM
I bet the terrorists love this thread....

;)

Actually now that the Dems actually "share" power they won't be as free to constantly criticize the way the war is being conducted. And they don't have the ballz to push for pulling out of Iraq....well most of them don't excpet for Murtha and in his case I think it's more a case of lacking any sense more than having ballz.

soonersweetie
11/8/2006, 03:45 PM

3. Letting goods from countries who try to shaft us in trade rot on the docks when they arrive until said countries change their trade laws in reference to American goods
4. Limiting the amount of defense lawyers, prosecution lawyers, and lawyers within a radius.
5. Making it illegal for anyone with a law degree to be a representative in the Federal government
7. Reducing the deficit by sending reconstruction bills to Germany, Italy, France, Japan, and China

This idea is Brilliant!!! :D I would have voted for you ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/8/2006, 03:53 PM
Ama,

What exactly did McCain do again that "screwed up legislation"

Tear Down This Wall
11/8/2006, 03:58 PM

Now, that's a damn good platform! I can get behind something like that - 4 and 5 in particular.

NormanPride
11/8/2006, 04:16 PM

You had me at "Charging Canada..." :D

Scott D
11/8/2006, 06:15 PM
you guys be careful, you might destroy willie favor...er rush clone's view of me as a 'dim' ;)

TopDawg
11/8/2006, 06:32 PM
Although not voting is one way to get your displeasure across, it's a pretty indirect way and is open to many different interpretations (didn't have time to vote, was out of town, etc).

Taking it up one notch would be going in to vote, signing in, and then not voting for anybody. That's a more active way of voicing your displeasure. Even more direct with less of a chance of misinterpretation is going in and writing "I HATE THEM ALL" on your ballot.

I encourage you to take a more active roll in your inactivity next time.

Blue
11/8/2006, 11:18 PM
Why? The only reason to vote (for people that are disgusted with the way things have become) would be for/against bonds and the like, not for people. These people have done nothing to show any sort of resemblence to the principles of the American political system, and in reality have turned the system into a complete joke. If the Democrats have the ability to fix it, they haven't really communicated that ability too well, as they tend to get stuck on non-issues (that are extremely divisive) like boys kissing, which plays into the hands of the Republicans and their faithful flock of absolute nutjobs.

They forget that for the most part people want to have the ability to grow up in a safe place, attend school without getting shot in the head, and either continue their education or start working. They don't want to have to worry about Ahmed blowing up their plane in a never-ending retaliatory action, Whitey blowing up their building b/c black people and/or Catholics and Jews are allowed to live freely, or DeAndrefarious bussin' a cap in their *** for $216.52 at the beer store. Instead, they treat people, both domestic and foreign, with disdain and their policies have created a global f'ing mess. The Republicans buy into the Crazy Christian ideology and and Democrats say a lot of good things but do absolutely nothing. Even though most Republican policy is laughably stupid, at least they do something. Every bit of it is sickening.

This ideology is laughably stupid. And on top of that you're an aggie.

DeAndreferious? Bussin' a cap? Crazy Christians?

You're a model of level-headed thinking.

Jimminy Crimson
11/9/2006, 12:22 AM
An aside: by not voting, there is a better chance that you might be left off of some robocall and mailing lists. ;)

leavingthezoo
11/9/2006, 12:25 AM
An aside: by not voting, there is a better chance that you might be left off of some robocall and mailing lists. ;)

and you won't be summoned for jury duty 3 freakin' times in the last four years.