PDA

View Full Version : So, the City of Dallas passed the bond...

TexasLidig8r
11/8/2006, 10:14 AM
package approving funding for renovations at the Cotton Bowl.

Supposedly, work is to proceed in three phases with the first phase to begin after the Cotton Bowl game this January.

Money is also to go to renovating other buildings at Fair Park and.. a DART train station is supposed to open at Fair Park in 2009.

Could it be?

Does this signify the likelihood of the Texas - OU game remaining at Fair Park for the long term future? With the Sea Hag not running for re-election and Jim Jordan, a staunch supporter of the Cotton Bowl one of the favs to replace her.. there is increased hope that the greatest tradition in college football may stay as it is supposed to.

humblesooner
11/8/2006, 10:19 AM
package approving funding for renovations at the Cotton Bowl.

Supposedly, work is to proceed in three phases with the first phase to begin after the Cotton Bowl game this January.

Money is also to go to renovating other buildings at Fair Park and.. a DART train station is supposed to open at Fair Park in 2009.

Could it be?

Does this signify the likelihood of the Texas - OU game remaining at Fair Park for the long term future? With the Sea Hag not running for re-election and Jim Jordan, a staunch supporter of the Cotton Bowl one of the favs to replace her.. there is increased hope that the greatest tradition in college football may stay as it is supposed to.

Lid - Seriously not doubting you, but I would be interested in reading a full article. Link?

tru2ou
11/8/2006, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=TexasLidig8r]

Does this signify the likelihood of the Texas - OU game remaining at Fair Park for the long term future? QUOTE]

Its OU - Texas. When you get it straight, we will respond.

- TRU

TexasLidig8r
11/8/2006, 10:24 AM
Lid - Seriously not doubting you, but I would be interested in reading a full article. Link?

Here's the first one...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/elections/2006/stories/110806dnmetdallasprop.3a4586c.html

fadada1
11/8/2006, 10:27 AM
they should renovate the area surrounding the stadium first. that place is scary.

colleyvillesooner
11/8/2006, 10:32 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/110806dnmetcottonbowl.31bc373.html#

Cotton Bowl revamp to include dome study

Dallas: Stadium needs covering to keep big games, officials say

11:08 PM CST on Tuesday, November 7, 2006
By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

Deep within a multimillion-dollar contract to renovate Dallas' Cotton Bowl is an easily overlooked item that may resurrect an otherwise defunct idea from last decade – doming the stadium.

The $30,000 study would investigate options for covering the Cotton Bowl with a permanent roof or something semi-permanent, such as an inflatable, retractable or removable dome.

The Dallas City Council is scheduled to vote today on the contract, which taps Atlanta-based Heery International Inc. to coordinate the estimated $45.5 million in Cotton Bowl design and construction work. The vote was scheduled to come the day after Dallasites were expected to approve $30 million in Cotton Bowl renovation bond funding to augment millions of dollars that the city and State Fair of Texas already have fronted.

These funds will provide a bevy of new amenities for the 76-year-old facility – seats, scoreboard, bathrooms, concession areas and locker rooms, among others – and increase its capacity to more than 92,000 fans. It does not, however, allocate funds for doming the stadium.

City leaders fear that without some way to keep out wind and cold, the Cotton Bowl will lose its namesake AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic college football game to the Dallas Cowboys' domed stadium in Arlington, which is scheduled to open in three years. For the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic to ever join college football's top-flight Bowl Championship Series, some game advocates believe the game must be played indoors.

"We have to make the stadium competitive. We need to move on this doming idea as fast as possible," said Dallas City Council member Leo Chaney, whose District 7 includes the Cotton Bowl.

If approved, the study would take six to eight weeks and also investigate the feasibility of constructing private suites, said Paul Dyer, director of Dallas' Park and Recreation Department. He and his staff would brief the council on the study's findings early next year, Mr. Dyer said.

A group of Dallas politicians and business leaders began seriously advocating a Cotton Dome as early as 15 years ago. But after nearly a decade of dreams, debate and decisions unmade, the concept fizzled.

What's different now?

For one thing, technology, Mr. Dyer said. Modern domes are cheaper and more versatile than those available last decade, and it behooves Dallas to at least consider the roofing options now available to the Cotton Bowl, he said, noting that costs for retrofitted domes vary considerably depending on size, materials and function.

"Ideally, we want to do something, if feasible, that we could put up and take down," Mr. Dyer said.

In other words, the annual University of Texas-University of Oklahoma game could be played under a warm October sun, while the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic could be staged out of reach of January ice storms.

"I really thought this was a dead issue. But at this juncture, it's probably a good idea to look at all options," said John Crawford, chairman of the business advocacy organization DowntownDallas and a member of the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic Board.

Rick Baker, president of the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic, says he "appreciates the fact that the city is making the study available to us."

But the decision to keep the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic where it is involves a number of factors, of which a dome is but one, Mr. Baker said. The game's organizers are surveying boosters, sponsors and other interested parties to gauge their feelings on whether to stay or go.

"We're not in any big hurry. We're being very deliberate. We're making sure we ask all the right questions to all the right people," said Mr. Baker, who said game organizers could decide a course of action by next year.

For Darrell Jordan, who led private efforts last decade to dome the Cotton Bowl, the city's renewed interest in the issue is "a most pleasant surprise."

"It's a very good use of $30,000," said Mr. Jordan, a lawyer who is campaigning to become mayor of Dallas. "My guess is that the Cotton Bowl Classic folks will be influenced in large part by what they think they'll need to do to be a part of the BCS. So Dallas needs to do something that is breakout. It could be a great investment in a great asset."

State Fair of Texas president Errol McKoy concurred.

"A dome would make the Cotton Bowl a very viable alternative for a BCS game. With all the other renovations, you'd have a very high-quality, first-class stadium that's climate-controlled," Mr. McKoy said. "We are so optimistic about how well it would do that we would be amenable around the holidays to open the fairgrounds and support it however we can – possibly, a winter festival."

mrowl
11/8/2006, 10:41 AM
you have got to be F'ing kidding me.

A DOME?!?!?@$#!?#@$RE#@?R!$#@F???????????????

YOU SAID NO TO THE COWBOYS DOME, TO STILL BUILD A DOME?!?#@!@?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Boomer.....
11/8/2006, 10:41 AM
and increase its capacity to more than 92,000 fans

Wow. What would that do to the atmosphere and ticket prices? Would it make it that more crazy, or would it not be a sellout?

mrowl
11/8/2006, 10:42 AM
Wow. What would that do to the atmosphere and ticket prices? Would it make it that more crazy, or would it not be a sellout?

more donors and season ticket holders would get seats.

Widescreen
11/8/2006, 10:43 AM
This is great. I live in the burbs so I don't have to pay the additional property tax and yet I'll still get the benefits. Yay for me! Having the DART stop there will be the awesome (assuming you can make the last leg of the trip in one piece).

TexasLidig8r
11/8/2006, 10:43 AM

It may simply reduce tickets being scalped to $750.00 a piece for 50 yard line seats.. instead of $1,000.00.

mrowl
11/8/2006, 10:44 AM
This is great. I live in the burbs so I don't have to pay the additional property tax and yet I'll still get the benefits. Yay for me! Having the DART stop there will be the awesome (assuming you can make the last leg of the trip in one piece).

the station is at the front door to the main entrance. gonna be really cool.

One day I will be able to get on the train north of DFW and ride all the way to the Fair.

caphorns
11/8/2006, 10:45 AM
I hope we don't see a dome or retractable roof. Because you know they will use it if it's available. I'd rather the game be played in the elements, so that we can preserve some Texcuses if we need them. Like the old days of yesteryore.

Otherwise, this is certainly good news Lid. Thanks for the update.

sooner518
11/8/2006, 10:45 AM
a dome?! please no. but other than that, thats great news!!

sooneron
11/8/2006, 10:46 AM
OU- texas would most certainly be a sellout! The Cotton Bowl in Jan? No.

sooneron
11/8/2006, 10:48 AM
they should renovate the area surrounding the stadium first. that place is scary.
I think that will eventually happen. It's too close to downtown and gentrification is going on everywhere.

MamaMia
11/8/2006, 10:54 AM
While in Dallas last year, I saw a news broadcast. The reporter said that the Cotton Bowl renovation will include the removal of the chair back seats so that can try to squeeze more people in.

BIG_IKE
11/8/2006, 11:27 AM
Do you know how LOUD a full dome would be? yeesh..

Tuloma
11/8/2006, 11:59 AM
The Cotton Bowl is in a bad area and nothing can change that. Also, the Cotton Bowl gamre very rarely sells out its 70,000 seats, it didn't during the old SWC days. So the 92,000 would be for one game a year? Ok by me but have to question that move.

With or without a dome the Cotton Bowl game will always be a second tier bowl becasue of the Dallas weather in January.

auto
11/8/2006, 12:05 PM
I sure as hell did not vote for it.:( A dome, have football fans become so pussified that they can't sit out in January.

fwsooner22
11/8/2006, 12:26 PM
I hope we don't see a dome or retractable roof. Because you know they will use it if it's available. I'd rather the game be played in the elements, so that we can preserve some Texcuses if we need them. Like the old days of yesteryore.

Otherwise, this is certainly good news Lid. Thanks for the update.

Just in case you needed to know Cap...........Dallas is just west of Fort Worth about 30 miles......and nowhere near Houston............

Widescreen
11/8/2006, 12:32 PM
Just in case you needed to know Cap...........Dallas is just west of Fort Worth about 30 miles......and nowhere near Houston............
When did they move Dallas? :mad: I'm going to have to come up with a new route to the American Airlines Center now.

badger
11/8/2006, 12:59 PM
it's not going to just be one game. I have heard from reliable sources that they are looking to bring in games for out-of-state teams, in additon to the possible neutral site for tech-a&m (just think, stunned! tech won't sour your sacred stadium, anymore!)

Whether such a plan will work with teams like LSU traveling to Dallas to watch a game during the regular season? Who knows. But at least they're thinking about plans for Dallas that do not completely revolve around one weekend.

BIG_IKE
11/8/2006, 01:11 PM
Spek :D

soonersweetie
11/8/2006, 03:04 PM
I think the idea of 92k seats is awesome, however NO DOME!!!

Football is not a tea party, it is rough, violent and angry and should be played in an outdoor setting in the environment. If that means, ice, snow, rain, etc., so be it...

I get tired of every year the Super Bowl being played in some artificial atmosphere of perfect weather and/or a dome. It should be played in the likes of Soldier Field in 6 inches of snow and 20 below windchill.

Just my opinion ;)

MamaMia
11/8/2006, 03:08 PM
I just hope that they dont take out the chair backs. I like to have my own space.

sooneron
11/8/2006, 03:32 PM
I just hope that they dont take out the chair backs. I like to have my own space.
I don't have a problem with the seats like some of the more rotund Sooners around here, my problem is foot/leg room. I sometimes feel like my knees serve as the headrest for the spectator in front of me!:mad: And you have to put your drink under your seat instead of in front of you next to your feet.

OK2LA
11/8/2006, 03:36 PM
The inside track on the REAL reason that they are talking about putting a dome on it, and expansion is for bringing in another NFL team.

OUinFLA
11/8/2006, 03:38 PM
I don't have a problem with the seats like some of the more rotund Sooners around here, my problem is foot/leg room. I sometimes feel like my knees serve as the headrest for the spectator in front of me!:mad: And you have to put your drink under your seat instead of in front of you next to your feet.

try keeping it in your hand for the 1 minute it takes to finish it.

don't you chug?

:D

MamaMia
11/8/2006, 03:43 PM
I don't have a problem with the seats like some of the more rotund Sooners around here, my problem is foot/leg room. I sometimes feel like my knees serve as the headrest for the spectator in front of me!:mad: And you have to put your drink under your seat instead of in front of you next to your feet.I do like a little leg room too. If I won the lottery, I would build a stadium with a barcalounger section. :P