PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the election results...

Okla-homey
11/8/2006, 07:52 AM
Only thing I figure that is virtually assured is higher federal taxes. The People have spoken and the new Congress (as keepers of the federal purse strings) clearly have a mandate to give away even more money than they do now.

Other than that, don't look for much else to change over the next two years.

That is all.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/8/2006, 07:54 AM
They aren't going to raise taxes...They have to get Hilary elected in '08 so don't expect much for two years and then they will play the help us accomplish our goals by electing Hilary angle

Okla-homey
11/8/2006, 07:59 AM
They aren't going to raise taxes...They have to get Hilary elected in '08 so don't expect much for two years and then they will play the help us accomplish our goals by electing Hilary angle

I hope you are correct.

Chuck Bao
11/8/2006, 08:20 AM
I don't know about raising taxes, but spending needs to be brought under control. I would expect investigations into all of those Halliburton contracts and suck.

On CNN International, they're talking about these investigations hastening the demise of Tony Blair.

Indeed.

85Sooner
11/8/2006, 08:40 AM

They will fail to extend the tax cuts. that is the same thing. I hope every dem gets what they deserve.

crawfish
11/8/2006, 08:43 AM
The Republicans needed this slap in the face. If they can't change their tactics and recover, then they don't deserve to.

OklahomaTuba
11/8/2006, 09:07 AM
Agreed, the GOP needed to get back to being conservative. Luckily, most of these new dims appear to be pretty conservative (for donks anyways), which is good news IMO. This is still far from a victory for the far left.

If anything won tonight, it was conservatism.

I hope a little more competition will help Bush now these last two years. Also hope it will start moving things in Iraq faster now. If anything, this is a great opportunity for the GOP to get back to the basics of Saint Ronnie.

Now if the dims start trying to impeach Bush over TWOT, and Rangel delivers on his promise to just cut off funding for our troops, things will change really quick.

Hopefully they won't be that stupid.

Preservation Parcels
11/8/2006, 09:39 AM
Only thing I figure that is virtually assured is higher federal taxes. The People have spoken and the new Congress (as keepers of the federal purse strings) clearly have a mandate to give away even more money than they do now.

Other than that, don't look for much else to change over the next two years.

That is all.

I'm afraid you're right, Homey. I asked my husband to stop on his way to work this morning, empty the bank account into a trash bag, and set it at the curb for pick-up.

Although the attribution is murky, Lord Woodhouselee, Alexander Fraser Tytler has been credited with writing about "The Fall of The Athenian Republic" around the year 1787. Our new country was trying to decide on a form of government for ourselves, and he cautioned,

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From Bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage."

Although technically we are a republic, not a democracy, this election reflects that we as a nation are gravitating more and more toward the politicians and judges who promise the most benefits and instant gratification.

For those of us who work, it has been estimated that we should expect a $2000 tax increase for anyone earning $50,000/year.

Xstnlsooner
11/8/2006, 09:44 AM
I think the elections are always a great indicator of the temperment
and fickleness of the average ignorant American voter. We are spoon
fed propaganda from each side and those who govern REALLY are
only concerned about keeping themselves in power!! The days of
greatness for America are long past...

C&CDean
11/8/2006, 09:46 AM
My life, and the way I live it, will not change one iota. Never has. Doesn't matter what person/group of cylindrical female pleasuring devices is in power.

King Crimson
11/8/2006, 09:52 AM
"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From Bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage." [/INDENT]

Although technically we are a republic, not a democracy, this election reflects that we as a nation are gravitating more and more toward the politicians and judges who promise the most benefits and instant gratification.

while a poetic sentiment and not without some appeal.....i think it would be hard to schematize the birth and rise of parliamentary structures (the nascence of western constitutional democracies) as one of "great faith". it's through the secularization of power and the belief in human reason (not Divine Right) that provides the philosophical impetus for the so-called Enlightenment in 17th and 18th Centuries. in which, it's commonly understood that our concept of an exchange economy based on standards of equivilence and self-determination largely arise.....as do moral claims about the equality of all men (later, women) guranteed in law and constitutional structures.....and further the consequent ability of the human thinking animal to practice reason in both private and public affairs.

now, had Rousseau or one of his contemporaries watched about 5 minutes of today's television (let alone a political advertisement)....he would have scrapped the idea of human reason all together. :P

StoopTroup
11/8/2006, 09:52 AM
Agreed, the GOP needed to get back to being conservative. Luckily, most of these new dims appear to be pretty conservative (for donks anyways), which is good news IMO. This is still far from a victory for the far left.

If anything won tonight, it was conservatism.

It would do them well to pick up a dictionary and do a little light reading and some inner reflection IMO.

Maybe a retreat for them will do them some good.

Conservative

1. disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.
2. cautiously moderate or purposefully low: a conservative estimate.
3. traditional in style or manner; avoiding novelty or showiness: conservative suit.
4. (often initial capital letter) of or pertaining to the Conservative party.
5. (initial capital letter) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Conservative Jews or Conservative Judaism.
6. having the power or tendency to conserve; preservative.
7. Mathematics. (of a vector or vector function) having curl equal to zero; irrotational; lamellar.
–noun
8. a person who is conservative in principles, actions, habits, etc.
9. a supporter of conservative political policies.

Vaevictis
11/8/2006, 09:56 AM
Only thing I figure that is virtually assured is higher federal taxes.

Meh, it was virtually assured based on the way we've been spending money.

Since 2000, we've nearly doubled the national debt to the tune of something like $11,000 per person. That's basically the same as higher taxes, it's just that it's been put on the revolving home equity line to be paid at some later date with interest.

The issue that we should be sweating is not whether or not taxes go up -- that was happening sooner or later anyway -- the issue is whether or not we end up putting it towards balancing the budget and paying down the debt or if the Dems get flush with power like the Republicans did and **** it away on pork or some other redistribution plan.

bri
11/8/2006, 10:00 AM
I hope every dem gets what they deserve.

What, sweeping election victories? Waaaay ahead of you there, Chief. :D

OhU1
11/8/2006, 10:11 AM
In my opinion the "conservatives" have not been conservative where it matters to most people - providing competent government services and managing the budget with fiscal responsibility. The neo-con rhetoric and pious arrogance is a turn off to a lot of people who want to vote Republican.

sooneron
11/8/2006, 10:27 AM
In my opinion the "conservatives" have not been conservative where it matters to most people - providing competent government services and managing the budget with fiscal responsibility. The neo-con rhetoric and pious arrogance is a turn off to a lot of people who want to vote Republican.
Ding ding ding!

mdklatt
11/8/2006, 10:34 AM
At least now when the pubz play the 'oppressed minority' card it will be sincere.

OklahomaTuba
11/8/2006, 10:34 AM
The neo-con rhetoric and pious arrogance is a turn off to a lot of people who want to vote Republican.

Neo-con rhetoric? Heh, that's funny, in a John F. Kerry sort of way.

It wasn't the so called "rhetoric" or arrogance of the right that cost this election, it was simply the lack of being able to do anything that matters too most conservatives despite having a majority the last few years.

Too much weakness on the GOP side on issues like protecting the borders, winning the war, cutting the spending, etc.

jk the sooner fan
11/8/2006, 10:35 AM
mark it down here, hillary will win the democratic nomination, and her major campaign promise will be to bring ALL the troops home

Bush may actually get to finally use his veto pen

OklahomaTuba
11/8/2006, 10:39 AM
mark it down here, hillary will win the democratic nomination, and her major campaign promise will be to bring ALL the troops home

Bush may actually get to finally use his veto pen

Then she will be slaughtered in the general election by Rudy as a flip-flopper, as she was a HUGE supporter of the war in Iraq.

Maybe this election signals the dems coming back to the center, if so, she gets the nomination.

If the dems are still controlled by the far-left by then, there is no way she gets it, simply for being a hawk.

OklahomaTuba
11/8/2006, 10:43 AM
Yeah, our enemies in the GWOT are gonna love this...

TIME TO IMPEACH!!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x2633472

mdklatt
11/8/2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah, our enemies in the GWOT are gonna love this...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x2633472

Why do you hate our troops?

soonerscuba
11/8/2006, 11:30 AM
For those of us who work, it has been estimated that we should expect a $2000 tax increase for anyone earning $50,000/year.

If you don't have 4 kids, then you've been duped by this lie. For the record it doesn't matter if you make 50,000 or 35 billion, it is a child tax credit, that from what I have seen the Dems have no plans of getting rid of. Never believe anything you seen on TV regarding politics.

C&CDean
11/8/2006, 11:34 AM
If you don't have 4 kids, then you've been duped by this lie. For the record it doesn't matter if you make 50,000 or 35 billion, it is a child tax credit, that from what I have seen the Dems have no plans of getting rid of. Never believe anything you seen on TV regarding politics.

Says the poster boy for believing what the media spoon feeds us....

OhU1
11/8/2006, 11:38 AM

The child tax credit won't go down or away. The wisdom of our social policy is that those who use more government social services, i.e. have more kids, should pay less taxes and be partially subsidized by those of us with fewer or no children.

Preservation Parcels
11/8/2006, 04:58 PM

Actually, we have 4 sons, thankyouverymuch. Three of them are working and paying taxes, including the Social Security taxes that will support those retiring before them.

Harry Beanbag
11/8/2006, 05:06 PM

Do you think Czar Pelosi will allow them to vote moderate?

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 08:45 PM
http://www.nevosoft.com/screenshots/streaming-flag-screensaver_2.jpg

FaninAma
11/8/2006, 09:05 PM
The Dems will have to go a ways to outspend the GOP of recent years but if anyone can do it the jackasses can.

Some of you are forgetting your civics classes. The Congress has to have a 2/3 majorities in both houses to override a veto and for any legislation to get through the Senate over a filibuster the Dems will have to have 60 votes.

Ain't gonna happen.

As far as paying more taxes...I have a very good accountant and he's very good at finding the tax loopholes created by the Dems just as well as the loopholes he found that were created by the GOP.

I'm looking forward to the next 2 years.