PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach: Brain Dead or Delusional?

SoonerShark
11/8/2006, 12:00 AM
http://www.newsok.com/article/2968212/?template=sports/ou

Further review: OU still irked
OU football
Controversy will be on Sooners' minds this Saturday against TechBy John Helsley
Staff Writer

NORMAN — Oklahoma's C.J. Ah You unknowingly played a role in Texas Tech's major season ticket campaign.
The platform: billboards showing Tech's Taurean Henderson, stretching ball toward the goal line, Ah You on the ground watching in a scene from the most controversial moment in OU's 2005 season, accompanied by the slogan:

"He's In. Are You?"

How's that for insult added to injury?

"I don't know what to say to that," said a stunned Ah You.

Replay officials, of course, ruled that Henderson did indeed cross the goal line on the game's final play, giving the Red Raiders a 23-21 win in Lubbock. It was the last of three reviewed plays in Tech's game-winning drive.

And it's a play that still sticks in the craw of some Sooners, especially this week with the Red Raiders coming to Norman on Saturday.

For Sooner defensive back Nic Harris, it was as much about the way the Red Raiders responded as the call itself that irked him.

"After they got that (call), they were sitting there cussing us out, all up in our faces like they did something," Harris said.

"I'll keep that in the back of my mind when I'm playing out there on Saturday."

The play has been relived and recounted and rejoiced in Lubbock.

With four seconds remaining and Tech at the OU 2, linebacker Rufus Alexander blitzed and collided with Henderson near the line of scrimmage.

As he fell, Henderson reached the ball for the goal line, but appeared down well before.

Officials on the field and in the booth called it a touchdown.

Some who were in the locker room last November told of an upset Bob Stoops who was angrier than they'd ever seen him.

"Oh…," Stoops said Tuesday, "that's pretty fair."

Alexander, who said last year he didn't think Henderson got in, was mum on the topic Tuesday. But OU defensive end Larry Birdine, who watched the game at home due to injury, was more than happy to give his from-the-couch accounts.

"I was watching from the house, and I had front-row seats," Birdine said. "Definitely, we got screwed. Everybody knows we got screwed."

The call propelled the Red Raiders into the Cotton Bowl and sent the Sooners way out West to the Holiday Bowl.

"You work hard, all summer, all this time," said OU tight end Joe Jon Finley. "Whenever a game gets taken away from you, because of something you don't have control over, it hurts real bad."

Some of that hurt still hasn't subsided.

"No doubt about it," Finley said. "You've got that sour taste from last year."

Ironically, Tech visits Norman with the Cotton Bowl at issue again, with the Sooners in position to get to Dallas with a strong finish to the season.

More irony: The Red Raiders are 11 days removed from their own cries of controversy, after complaints that botched officials' calls contributed to a 35-31 loss to Texas — in Lubbock.

"Hmm," Finley said. "I hate to see that happen to anybody."

Tech coach Mike Leach didn't see what all the fuss was a year ago. He's been quoted on several occasions since as saying Henderson "still hasn't been tackled."

Monday, Leach dismissed controversy from the equation.

"There's nothing controversial about last year's game," Leach said. "There's some disappointment (for the Sooners), but there's nothing controversial about it."
Oh, but the Sooners know controversy, what with last year's Tech encounter and this year's setback at Oregon, where mistakes leading to the loss were subsequently confirmed by the Pac-10.

With replay not yet two years old, OU has been involved in two of the most controversial outcomes involving the process.

"It's like everybody is out for us," Birdine said. "I think we did it to ourselves, because we went to two national championships and we laid an egg in both of them. And just because we've been so dominant over the last couple of years.

"It's just like everybody don't like us."

Ah You said the Sooners must move on.

"What's done is done," he said.

Ah You is, however, interested in that billboard, which so far hasn't returned any royalties his way.

"No, not yet," Ah You said with a smile. "I've got to look into that."

SoonerShark
11/8/2006, 12:07 AM
Mike Leach today disclosed that he has a yard long "Johnson." Or is it a yard shorter than that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI0ec11sVvk&mode=related&search=

SoonerShark
11/8/2006, 12:12 AM
Does T-Tech get to use its 9 yard long first down chains in Norman?

StoopTroup
11/8/2006, 12:19 AM
That one was closer than the endzone one.

mrfootball
11/8/2006, 02:05 AM
Those were all correct calls. I think OU did get screwed vs. Oregon, and Tech got screwed vs. UT 2 weeks ago, but that game last year was called correctly.

SoonerTerry
11/8/2006, 02:38 AM
Those were all correct calls. I think OU did get screwed vs. Oregon, and Tech got screwed vs. UT 2 weeks ago, but that game last year was called correctly.

Are you drunk?

Doged
11/8/2006, 04:11 AM

Gordon Reise, is that you?

I personally really like Mike Leach. He brings a great deal of entertainment to the sport (not to mention running a great offensive scheme). I'm surprised he ever mentions last year's game.. he's not a dumbass, he knows it was a screw job. I wouldn't really expect him to say as much since he's got a program to run, though.

TTech seems to have a larger than usual share of dickhead fans, but even so the large majority of them that I've met are just football fans, no different than anywhere else and just was passionate about their team as we are about OUr's. If their team was talking smack after the bad calls I'd expect that will be addressed on the field Saturday, as it should be. :D

oKOIhoma fan
11/8/2006, 08:02 AM
I live all the way over here in S.C. and I could see from here that he was down.;) Why couldn't they? Oh and I even wear glasses!

zeke
11/8/2006, 08:14 AM

Are you on crack or just REALLY STUPID?

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 08:17 AM
Guys, take it easy on Mrgoofball.

He pulled a double shift as the slightly challenged condiment jockey at Whataburger and really isn't himself right now.

OUMonster
11/8/2006, 08:46 AM
Does Leach have video of the play from a camera angle that shows Henderson scoring without any doubt?

Perhaps he should share it with the public if there really isn't any controversy over it.

usmc-sooner
11/8/2006, 08:49 AM
Do you guys really think he's going to say it was a bad call?

BoonesFarmSooner
11/8/2006, 08:53 AM
Henderson scoring at the end isn't nearly as controversial as the tipped ball, where some tekkard and DWilliams come down with the ball on 4th down, a FULL YARD short of the first down markers.

It's like the Oregon game, if the officials make the correct call there, nothing else matters...

swardboy
11/8/2006, 08:56 AM
Fuel, meet fire.......

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 08:58 AM
Do you guys really think he's going to say it was a bad call?
Exactly. Teams get screwed and get the benefit of crappy calls all the time.

A coach has more responsibility to say things that are right for the team than worrying about what would please the opponents fans. Bad call or not, his team worked their butt off for that game and as a coach you don't take that away from them. As a coach you have to believe it all balances out in the end. We don't feel that way right now because we've had some nasties very recently.

crawfish
11/8/2006, 09:36 AM

I'm not sure there's anybody outside of Lubbock who agrees with you. Probably because they don't put their hands over their eyes when they watch it.

The replay they showed at the Holiday bowl - which, by some odd chance, wasn't available during the OU-Tech game - showed conclusively that Henderson extended the ball AFTER he was down for the TD.

jwlynn64
11/8/2006, 10:11 AM
The fact of the matter is, that play never happens if they call the forth down correctly. It's questionable that Tech even caught the pass (I believe that our linebacker intercepted the ball) but even if it was a Tech reception, it's at least a full yard short of the first down. How anyone, in review, could justify the spot is beyond me.

That bad spot was almost equal to the error on the UO non recovered onside kick. Both blown calls resulted in the opposing team getting an extra chance that they did not deserve.

mrfootball, the questionable calls in your loss to Texas were just that, questionable calls. They could have gone either way.

The blown spot in our game last year was exactly that, a blown call. There is no question that the spot was wrong and it should have been changed on review.

Landthief 1972
11/8/2006, 10:26 AM

Dude, it's toke, toke, pass... not toke, toke, toke, toke, toke, toke, toke, toke, toke, toke, toke, toke, toke, toke, toke, toke...

You got about a yard extra on the spot on that pass and Henderson's hip touches the ground long before he reaches out. Of course, anyone who watched the replay knows this... but apparently all the Tech fans have selective amnesia.

Nice billboard, BTW. Wonder why they didn't show the photo from the other angle showing his hip down before he even reached out? Hmmmm...

http://www.bevosports.com/2005/11/22/in-case-ou-fans-are-complaining/

Butt is down before he has fully extended. In the following frames, he extended nearly a football length. If you watch the video from along the goal line, opposite angle, the ball never gets beyond a half length during the entire play. So either he bent the fabric of time and space, or his butt was down before he crossed the goal line.

Not that he should have been running that play anyway.

humblesooner
11/8/2006, 10:33 AM
Exactly. Teams get screwed and get the benefit of crappy calls all the time.

A coach has more responsibility to say things that are right for the team than worrying about what would please the opponents fans. Bad call or not, his team worked their butt off for that game and as a coach you don't take that away from them. As a coach you have to believe it all balances out in the end. We don't feel that way right now because we've had some nasties very recently.

The problem I have with Leach is the comment that he made that Henderson still hasn't been tackled. I have liked Mike since he came here in 1999. I did not expect him to come out and say that OU got screwed on either of the bad calls that cost OU the game last year.
What I did not like was Mike acting like some some smartass juvenile punk, with the "Henderson still hasn't been tackled" comment.
Mike has always been very clever (the pirate comment, in regards to the Ag "soldiers"). But in my opinion, this one was classless. Mike knows that we were screwed on both calls and should have only commented that the officials made the calls, and Tech left with a win.

Very non-Leach type comments.

I hope that one was just a brain-fart on his part and not his true character coming out.

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 10:41 AM
Of course it's classless. It involved OU.

If it was about the aggies we'd be laughing.

Thin skin.

picasso
11/8/2006, 10:47 AM
the goal line play could go either way. the play we got hosed on was the 4th down spot on the Areola catch.:mad:

jwlynn64
11/8/2006, 11:32 AM
Isn't the Areola the circle surrounding the nipple? Just curious.

goingoneight
11/8/2006, 09:40 PM
Tech fans are ignoring the obvious.

We all suspected foul play with the firt down, but we knew we were in for the hosing when Filani dropped the pass in the endzone and it was still ruled a TD. It was like "DUH, you think BOB STOOPS isn't going to review that one???" Once it was reviewed and overturned, it was only a matter of seconds before the refs said "that one's close enough."

If you choose to ignore the blatantly obvious bad calls (COME ON, A DROPPED PASS ISN'T A COMPLETION, NOR IS IT A TOUCHDOWN!!! :mad:), that makes you aggy... like it or not. Only someone blinded by hatred could say that call was fair (cough, cough... OSU, TECH, UT).

sozo
11/8/2006, 10:13 PM
the goal line play could go either way. the play we got hosed on was the 4th down spot on the Areola catch.:mad:
That's what I've always said too!I was jumping up and down cause we had won the game and then to my horror........
I don't think he got in on the touchdown but can see how that could have been missed.It never should have gotten to that point though.I had never remembered OU getting BEAT by a bad call in 37 years of watching and listening to them and then 2 times in what,5 games?Actually 2 loses in a row!

stoopified
11/8/2006, 11:48 PM
that game last year was called correctly.Ain't that sweet?We got another handicapped poster now.Obviously this guy is stone blind.It appears he believes everything his dog tells him.

picasso
11/9/2006, 12:15 PM
Isn't the Areola the circle surrounding the nipple? Just curious.
I wouldn't know anything about that.

David Earl
11/9/2006, 12:23 PM
Leach is playing to his home crowd. He knows what happened.

noobalicious
11/9/2006, 02:30 PM
"After they got that (call), they were sitting there cussing us out, all up in our faces like they did something," Harris said.

"I'll keep that in the back of my mind when I'm playing out there on Saturday."

I like the sound of that.