PDA

View Full Version : Miami player killed!

ClintonSooner
11/7/2006, 09:09 PM
DE Bryan Pata killed.

Sr. DE shot and killed at an appartment complex

This is bad for Miami

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/callmecoco/ncf_u_pata_65.jpg
::

U. of Miami player Pata killed, officials say
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This
TIM REYNOLDS / Associated Press
Posted: 2 minutes ago

University of Miami defensive end Bryan Pata was shot and killed Tuesday night, shortly after leaving the practice field, school officials said.

The circumstances around Pata's death were not immediately clear, and Miami-Dade police have not released specific information about what happened. A formal announcement was expected from the university later Tuesday.
"Right now, we're just gathering ourselves and just trying to pull ourselves together," Miami athletic director Paul Dee said.

Pata, a graduate of Miami Central, was in his fourth year with the Hurricanes. He appeared in 41 games, making 23 starts, and was expected to be selected in next spring's NFL draft.

It was the second incident involving guns this season for the Hurricanes.

In July, reserve safety Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks when confronted in his yard before an early morning workout. Cooper was not seriously injured.

Brandon Meriweather, one of Cooper's teammates and roommates, returned fire at Cooper's assailant, taking three shots that apparently missed, police said.

Several Miami players, including Pata, said that incident was a robbery attempt, and cautioned other teammates to always be aware of their surroundings.

"We're targets because we play for the University of Miami. ... These guys, they know who we are," Miami linebacker Jon Beason said shortly after the Cooper shooting.

That incident prompted Miami coach Larry Coker to say that he did not want his players to have guns, even if they were possessing them legally.

8:53 update
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/callmecoco/10268271_240X180.jpg
MIAMI -- Police are investigating a shooting that left a University of Miami football player dead.

Police confirmed that Bryan Pata was shot and killed at 9365 S.W. 77th Ave. early Tuesday evening shortly after leaving the practice field. The circumstances of the shooting were not immediately known.

According to the UM Web site, Pata was a third-year junior who took over the starting role at left defensive end over the latter part of the 2004 season.

IndySooner
11/7/2006, 09:14 PM
DE Bryan Pata killed.

Sr. DE shot and killed at an appartment complex

This is bad for Miami
Damn it!:mad::mad::(

They are my 3rd Fav team. (not really Favorite like OU and PUR, just a liked team.;)

BUT JUST WHEN THINGS COULDNT GET WORSE:mad::mad::mad::(

birddog
11/7/2006, 09:17 PM
:( yeah, i just saw that.

prayers to his family.

TripleOption14
11/7/2006, 09:17 PM
Things in Miami have gotten down right scary!! Coker has lost this team completely. I don't see how he or any of his staff are salvaged after this season is over. I think the writing is on the wall that Miami needs a clean and fresh start.

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2006, 09:18 PM
what a sad deal

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 09:19 PM
:( yeah, i just saw that.

prayers to his family.

DITTO Bro
**** the teams or anything else
A young man has lost his life :mad:

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 09:21 PM
Things in Miami have gotten down right scary!! Coker has lost this team completely. I don't see how he or any of his staff are salvaged after this season is over. I think the writing is on the wall that Miami needs a clean and fresh start.
The young man was at an apartment complex !
what in hell does that have to with the "team " or Coker ?:confused:

TripleOption14
11/7/2006, 09:22 PM

Easy boss. You can have your say and I can have mine.

Sooner_Bob
11/7/2006, 09:24 PM

That's true . . . but to lay this at the feet of Larry Coker is taking it just a step or two too far IMO.

birddog
11/7/2006, 09:27 PM
update.

he was shot shortly after leaving practice.

they will release more details, so how about we wait to find out the specifics.

TripleOption14
11/7/2006, 09:28 PM
That's true . . . but to lay this at the feet of Larry Coker is taking it just a step or two too far IMO.

I didn't blame Coker for anything.

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 09:31 PM
The young man was murdered :mad: :mad: :mad:
Lets wait till all the facts are in before condemning the whole state of Fla .
The team or Coker
Oh and I didnt neg ya ;)

Sooner_Bob
11/7/2006, 09:33 PM

Might kinda seem that way with that comment in this thread . . . but if you say you don't I won't say you did.

SoonerJason
11/7/2006, 09:34 PM
and you thought we had a bad year..... best of luck to his family

TripleOption14
11/7/2006, 09:34 PM
The young man was murdered :mad: :mad: :mad:
Lets wait till all the facts are in before condemning the whole state of Fla .
The team or Coker
Oh and I didnt neg ya ;)

Someone please show me in my thread where i said " i blame Coker for this." or "The state of Florida is Uzi-alley." You guys are the ones putting words in my mouth. I never said either one of those things.

ClintonSooner
11/7/2006, 09:35 PM
updated^^

TripleOption14
11/7/2006, 09:36 PM
Might kinda seem that way with that comment in this thread . . . but if you say you don't I won't say you did.

Saying Coker has lost control of his team and blaming him for a kid getting murdered are two TOTALLY different things!

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 09:37 PM
Someone please show me in my thread where i said " i blame Coker for this." or "The state of Florida is Uzi-alley." You guys are the ones putting words in my mouth. I never said either one of those things.
When you find yourself in a hole
Wisdom says to quit digging
justsayin :pop:

mrowl
11/7/2006, 09:38 PM
Holy crap. Horrible.

birddog
11/7/2006, 09:40 PM
Saying Coker has lost control of his team and blaming him for a kid getting murdered are two TOTALLY different things!

then why even mention coker in a thread about a player getting killed.

whatever, i don't care either way. as long as coker didn't kill him.;)

i hate that this crap happens to anybody, player or no player.:(

ClintonSooner
11/7/2006, 09:41 PM
update

birddog
11/7/2006, 09:42 PM
update

i'm not following.:confused:

Sooner_Bob
11/7/2006, 09:43 PM

I said I won't say you did if you didn't mean it that way . . . all I ment was it doesn't make things better to seemingly lay this at his feet.

snp
11/7/2006, 09:43 PM
Imagine if this had something to do with the FIU brawl. Could get really ugly around the area.

I agree that you never directly implied Coker had something to do with this, but honestly, his name doesn't even need to come up in this thread. A young man, was shot and killed for an unknown reason. We can lay on the hate to Coker in another thread, but for now, condolences to Miami fans. Been a rough year :(

Tulsa_Fireman
11/7/2006, 09:46 PM
It ain't a Coker issue. Obviously enough.

But until we find out whether the apartment was on campus or not, we can't step back and say it is not a U of Miami issue. Namely, the administration and a failure, given the previous incident, of the university police to address a problem and prevent its escalation.

But that's dependent on a LOT of things...

How's it go? Location, location, location?

ClintonSooner
i'm not following.:confused:

sorry bud, check my first post, I'm just gonna edit.:O

TripleOption14
then why even mention coker in a thread about a player getting killed.

Because i was thinking big picture for Coker. Even though he had nothing to do with this its still gonna look bad in the eyes of admin. i would think. Players carrying guns, players firing guns, players involved in fights, and now a player murdered.

He didn't have anything to do with a lot of this but somehow i don't think that is gonna matter.

By the way.... this is a terrible thing for anyone to have to deal with.

GrapevineSooner
11/7/2006, 09:47 PM
Rest in Peace, Bryan.

Sad news.

mrowl
11/7/2006, 09:47 PM
That incident prompted Miami coach Larry Coker to say that he did not want his players to have guns, even if they were possessing them legally.

wow! smart guy!

birddog
11/7/2006, 10:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2653361

full story, so far.

sooneron
11/7/2006, 10:05 PM
Sad news. Too many young people are getting killed in this country.

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 10:33 PM
people
A young man Is DEAD :mad: :mad: :mad:
This has nothing to do with the progam or the State or anything else Except Violence in general
The ****ing media is trying to spin this way out of control :rolleyes:

TUSooner
11/7/2006, 10:37 PM
I dont know anything about what really happened, but I admit my first thought was "thug culture" - too many guys with guns and attitudes. Actually, that's still my thought, though what I think is immaterial. A young guy is dead for no good reason, in any case. It's sad no matter how or why.

ClintonSooner
11/7/2006, 10:38 PM
I dont know anything about what really happened, but I admit my first thought was "thug culture" - too many guys with guns and attitudes. Actually, that's still my thought, though what I think is immaterial. A young guy is dead for no good reason, in any case. It's sad no matter how or why.

Exactly!

some "university" needs to clean up!

Blues1
11/7/2006, 10:47 PM
Let our prayers go out to this young mans family....

Think of nothing else at this time....

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 10:51 PM
Let our prayers go out to this young mans family....

Think of nothing else at this time....
YMSSRA befor givin blues1 the stuff again ;)

ClintonSooner
11/7/2006, 10:53 PM
according to triple "o", Coker needs all the prayers now...just sayin'

but seriously, Prayers for the family!

Collier11
11/7/2006, 11:42 PM
I just wish that these idiots would stop having their heads filled with the idea that having a gun, pointing it at someone, and shooting them does not make you strong or respected or powerful, it makes you a weak coward...My prayers are with his family, this is sad

OU Adonis
11/7/2006, 11:42 PM

I guess you don't remember 88.

mightysooner
11/8/2006, 12:06 AM
Times are hard for "the U". Kinda got a weird karma thing going on down there and it appears it's time for Miami to pay the piper.

StoopTroup
11/8/2006, 12:08 AM
Rest in peace young man...

Condolences to his family and his teammates

Sad that this happens.

Crucifax Autumn
11/8/2006, 12:27 AM
All the nice things said about the family come double from me...

However....

The simple fact is that weird crap like this seems to haunt this program and it has forever. The thug mentality of Miami the city and Miami the school practically beg for this kind of thing to happen.

While it may not directly be Coker's fault, he and the school are entrusted with the reponsiblity of offering guidance and discipline to these young men and they obviously don't get it.

Besides...I can't stand Miami or Coker or any of their former coaches or players, so any chance I get to pile on I'm gonna take. I've hated these guys since the early 80s and it's not gonna stop just because I suddenly begin to feel sympathy for some poor kid who may have inadvertantly found himself victim of some thuggish behavior in vice city.

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 12:35 AM

However....

The simple fact is that weird crap like this seems to haunt this program and it has forever. The thug mentality of Miami the city and Miami the school practically beg for this kind of thing to happen.

While it may not directly be Coker's fault, he and the school are entrusted with the reponsiblity of offering guidance and discipline to these young men and they obviously don't get it.

Besides...I can't stand Miami or Coker or any of their former coaches or players, so any chance I get to pile on I'm gonna take. I've hated these guys since the early 80s and it's not gonna stop just because I suddenly begin to feel sympathy for some poor kid who may have inadvertantly found himself victim of some thuggish behavior in vice city.
One nice, but hardly believable sentence followed by unrestrained bitterness.

Why don't you go root for someone else?

Nobody asked you to quit hating Miami, but you can put it on hold for a thread about the death of an athlete.

snp
11/8/2006, 12:52 AM
Times are hard for "the U". Kinda got a weird karma thing going on down there and it appears it's time for Miami to pay the piper.

However....

You two are morons and probably need to quit posting. Taking some guilty pleasure because a kid is dead for a school you don't have in very high regard?

Crucifax Autumn
11/8/2006, 12:59 AM
No...Not gonna quit posting, nor will I apologize. I feel sympathy for the kid, but still feel that the environment in which it happened just MAY have had something to do with it.

As for it being a thread about the death of a kid, why not go slam the people who wrote the article about it? They seemed to bring up the history this year of fighting, toting guns, shooting, and so on, not me. Perhaps the thread starter should have found an article that didn't mention these things and I'd have either ignored it or left it with a nice little condolence post.

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 01:04 AM
It's cool man.

It's probably just your crappy environment that makes you post stuff like that anyway.

Sooner_Havok
11/8/2006, 01:14 AM

However....

Man, I hate Miami, but come on man, a kid lost his life. No matter what anyone may think about Miami, it's coaches, or it's players, a life has been lost here. Right now we all need to keep that kids family, and his teammates in our thoughts and prayers.

TripleOption14
11/8/2006, 01:30 AM
Man some of you guys need to realize that people are gonna have different opinions from what you believe and that there is nothing wrong with that. The word is called TOLERANCE. Please learn it. NO ONE should be nor deserves to attacked for having an opinion. These places are called "message boards" for a reason. Everyone gets a say whether it be a bad say or a good say.

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 01:32 AM
Man some of you guys need to realize that people are gonna have different opinions from what you believe and that there is nothing wrong with that. The word is called TOLERANCE. Please learn it. NO ONE should be nor deserves to attacked for having an opinion. These places are called "message boards" for a reason. Everyone gets a say whether it be a bad say or a good say.
Nobody said you couldn't still be an a-hole.

Just skip a few threads now and then when some class might be really neato.

SoonerTerry
11/8/2006, 05:34 AM

However....

Holy crap man, this is a bad time to be spillin your hate. It makes your first statement look a little thin....

SoonerTerry
11/8/2006, 05:38 AM

Your absolutely right, we all have the right to our opinion, and my opinion is his post was out of place.

MamaMia
11/8/2006, 10:00 AM
My heart aches for his family. This world is out of control. :(

fadada1
11/8/2006, 10:15 AM
i haven't read all the post, so forgive me for ranting:

yes, this is tragic. no doubt about it. absolutely positively tragic. BUT, what's tragic about this is that it was over something stupid (no doubt) - drugs, a girl, somebody called somebody stupid, etc... espn et al. will spend the next 3 days talking about this ad naseum. "he was a great kid. an on and off the field leader. he deserved better. he was getting his life turned around." maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. that's not the point!!!! the point is, we have brave men and women fighting against a cause... fascism, communism, whatever "ism" you want to call it, and all we get is a 10 second spot about it on nancy grace 2 weeks after the fact. simple fact is, THEY ARE FIGHTING FOR A REASON/CAUSE (like it or not, they are fighting for a cause). they are doing something that is beyond what most of us can comprehend. the young man that was killed was a football player and a student. seems as though our priorities are ****ED UP BEYOND ALL RECOGNITION!!!!!

this whole thing, as if we're suprised something like this happened, is over NOTHING. NOTHING!!!!! we've got people killing each other over the DUMBEST ****ING THINGS YOU COULD EVER THINK OF!!!!!

THIS IS ABSOLUTE BULL**** AND I'M ****ING SICK OF IT!!!! it's tragic because this young man died for no damn reason.

JiuJitsuSooner
11/8/2006, 10:28 AM
RIP #95

soonerlaw
11/8/2006, 10:38 AM
This was not only shocking but very humbling. As football fans we go out and support our team and spew hate at the opposing teams, and sometimes we lose sight of the fact that these are just college kids. Things like this show just how meaningless football is when compared to the life of a young man. Such a sad and tragic story.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/8/2006, 10:51 AM
Why, I'll be glad to dig a little and I'll make no apologies:

While not the state of Florida, Miami IS Uzi-alley, and that football team has long been stocked with wanna-be and actual (see Willie Williams) THUGS. Outside of the tourist spots and entertainment districts the city is an un-redeemable cess-pool. And it's very sad that it has spilled over into what should be a secure and up-beat learning environment.

Don't get me wrong, I feel very, very bad for this kid's family that he was gunned down. It's absolutely horrifying.

But "the U" has been flirting with this sort of thing happening for YEARS. Some would say (again, see Willie Williams) they've even been fostering it.

Color me sad, but not surprised.

BIG_IKE
11/8/2006, 11:55 AM
My views on this are mixed. And I do not blame the University of Miami for it.
The fact that this young man was FROM MIAMI and went to school IN MIAMI has more to do with this than anything else.

It is extremely hard for an individual to come from a rough neighborhood and make it to college only to remain in the same environment. I guarantee you a high percentage of the players in Miami come from Miami. Affiliations and negative people are hard to shake off when you don't LEAVE THAT ENVIRONMENT. Alienating the same negative people becuase your trying to do right can be a problem also...especially if you still have to live in the same city as them. Many of you will never understand what I am saying, but I am sure some will.

Miami and Houston , Texas are home to more NFL players than any other cities (over 25 players from each in the NFL right now). Could you imagine the kind of trouble Vince Young would have gotten into if UT was in Houston?
And you ask why dont schools like Rice or SMU have these types of problems despite being in large cities?

1) They don't have high profile athletes
2) If your grades are not sky high you won't get in and they won't care.

So the way I see it, Coker would be a fool to ignore the talent in Miami, the only downside is it will always be impossible to keep kids from Miami out of trouble IN MIAMI..especially if their parents couldnt. It's a risk he took, and I think if any big time school was in Miami and had access to those athletes, it would be our school dealing with this tragedy.

*jumps off soapbox*

soonerboy_odanorth
11/8/2006, 11:57 AM
Note to Donna Shalala and the entire Miami athletic administration:

You lured these kids to your campus. You do have an obligation to monitor them, discipline them if they're getting into trouble, but also do your best to protect them. Get your athletes into dorms on campus, post haste. No more apartments off-campus. For one player's family it will be too little, too late. But you can take steps to minimize the risk of it happening again.

(Edit: I went back and read the entire ESPN piece in detail. This is positively SICKENING. This is the third shooting, and second MURDER, involving a Miami player in the last several years. All three have ocurred at their off-campus residences. Are "the U" administrators positively brain-dead!?!? Disgusting!)

SoonerJLB
11/8/2006, 01:30 PM
Damn! Prayers to his family. I hate to hear about that kind of thing...way to early to go.

blackbeauty02
11/8/2006, 04:01 PM

Lay off TripleOption...he was making a statement that was in no sense out of place. I thought the same thing when I heard about this shooting. It is extremely sad when anyone is shot and killed. But I have to say that look at how Miami University is becoming. After the two fights in less than 6 games and shootings are becoming a trend they need to do something there to control this. Do you think Stoops would stand for this behavior? Nobody goes and shoots anybody for no reason. He definately did not deserve it but after seeing how the players act I have a hard time ruling out that he had some part in an altercation, did something to someone, etc. that made someone want to shoot him.

All I'm saying is that now a days I will not fight anyone when I'm out drinking, at a game, with my girlfriend (who guys always harrass), etc. Because I always have this thought in the back of my head that maybe one of these guys is going to be crazy to pull a gun or knife on me or after I beat his *** he'll want to get revenge on me. It's just not worth it.

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 04:11 PM
Start another thread on the connection between violence and a university out of control if you want.

This thread is about the death of a football player.

21 posts isn't enough to be giving advice around here.

snp
11/8/2006, 04:37 PM
Espically since the first murder of a Miami student was a jealous pyscho ex boyfriend. And this second looks to be totally disconnected from the football team as well.

Harp on Miami being a dangerous city and maybe Miami officals should allocate funds for on-campus housing for all students, but come on. These players WERE NOT KILLED BECAUSE THEY PLAYED FOOTBALL FOR MIAMI

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 12:29 AM
Yeah SAS, this thread is about the death of a football player...

A football player who did a tv interview from his apartment in which he proudly showed off his gun collection and a football player who prior to that had spoken of the new perspective he'd gained after a teammate was shot in July.

The nation as a whole is far too gun and violence obsessed, and Miami ranks among the worst offenders. This guy got shot there and also plays football for that particular school, so a thread about that very shooting of that very player pretty well begs for a balanced discussion of all these issues, not matter how we feel about the school or how much sympathy we may have for the family or the kid.

sanantoniosooner
11/9/2006, 12:36 AM
Amazingly, this board has the capability to start another thread for those that want to get philosophical about the reasons this happened and whose fault it is.

I HATE the University of Miami and generally wish bad things on them. But this isn't the thread for that crap.

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 12:43 AM
I always wish bad things on em
But this aint it

snp
11/9/2006, 12:44 AM
A football player who did a tv interview from his apartment in which he proudly showed off his gun collection and a football player who prior to that had spoken of the new perspective he'd gained after a teammate was shot in July.

Bull****. Where did you hear this from? Everyone has remarked about what a great guy this kid was, and how he wasn't a stereotypical football thug.

http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&lr=&q=Bryan+Pata+%2B+%22gun+collection%22&btnG=Search

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 12:45 AM
In my defense I didn't WISH anyone dead...

As for the starting a different thread with a slightly different take on things that are already being discussed, I'll leave that for all you guys that started 500 different Oregon threads and 5000 different "when will AD be back?" threads.

birddog
11/9/2006, 12:50 AM
you know, we talk alot around here about getting screwed by refs, player injuries etc. i can't imagine what it would feel like to have something tragic like that happen. northwestern's coach (randy walker) died just before the season started. terry hoeppner is slowly recovering from brain cancer. many athletes have been killed in car wrecks.there are many more examples of truly heartbreaking incidents that happen all the time at universities. luckily, we've managed to avoid the real pain that many fans feel around the country.

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 12:50 AM
In my defense I didn't WISH anyone dead...

As for the starting a different thread with a slightly different take on things that are already being discussed, I'll leave that for all you guys that started 500 different Oregon threads and 5000 different "when will AD be back?" threads.
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Stick around we will make a decent poster out of you yet :pop:

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 12:53 AM
second page of the Washington Post Story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/08/AR2006110802149_2.html

"Pata showed off several guns he kept in a closet in his apartment during a recent interview, the Miami Herald reported, saying he liked to take them to local shooting ranges and hoped one day to join the FBI and become a sharpshooter. He majored in criminology."

birddog
11/9/2006, 12:55 AM
I can't stand Miami or Coker or any of their former coaches or players, so any chance I get to pile on I'm gonna take.

i could be wrong, but it might be a tad inappropriate to "pile on" over the death of a kid. maybe you should save that for when they lose football games?

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 12:55 AM
And as for everyone saying he's a good kid and all, maybe so and maybe not, but either way they'd say it since they aren't nearly the callous *** I am!

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 12:59 AM
And as for everyone saying he's a good kid and all, maybe so and maybe not, but either way they'd say it since they aren't nearly the callous *** I am!
Dude Ive said it once or twice
when you find yourself in a hole QUIT diggin:(
Your other post said he Hoped to join the FBI . Dont sound like a bad kid to me :P

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah you
You have just won the
"Aszhole of the year award "
enjoy your ****ty trophy !:mad:

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 01:02 AM
Every criminology student I knew in college was a thug, so that means little. The guy may have been fully innocent and good and we'll see that as the investigation pans out and we find out why the cops were searching his apartment and all.

Besides, I like being deep in the hole.

blackbeauty02
11/9/2006, 01:07 AM
Start another thread on the connection between violence and a university out of control if you want.

This thread is about the death of a football player.

21 posts isn't enough to be giving advice around here.

I'm so sorry. So just because I started getting on this site and only have 21 posts means I can't post on subjects? Sorry I don't get on here enough to have over 7,000 posts. I have a life. I'll wait until I get at least 1,000 posts to start giving advice (which I wasn't even giving) b/c I'm guessing that is when one becomes wise enough to give advice on a forum.

I sympathize for the family as I just lost my dad just 2 years ago. All I was trying to say was that I agree with the other guy that this doesn't look good for the University of Miami with all the other stuff that has happened with them. Again i said know one deserves to be shot and killed for anything they did.

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 01:07 AM
Every criminology student I knew in college was a thug, so that means little. The guy may have been fully innocent and good and we'll see that as the investigation pans out and we find out why the cops were searching his apartment and all.

Besides, I like being deep in the bung hole.
:P
Weirdo dude it dont matter .
can you wrap your lil brain around the fact , that a young man has lost his life ?
Plus the FACT that "WE " represent OU ,and we should do that with class and dignity ?

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 01:09 AM
I'm so sorry. So just because I started getting on this site and only have 21 posts means I can't post on subjects? Sorry I don't get on here enough to have over 7,000 posts. I have a life. I'll wait until I get at least 1,000 posts to start giving advice (which I wasn't even giving) b/c I'm guessing that is when one becomes wise enough to give advice on a forum.

I sympathize for the family as I just lost my dad just 2 years ago. All I was trying to say was that I agree with the other guy that this doesn't look good for the University of Miami with all the other stuff that has happened with them. Again i said know one deserves to be shot and killed for anything they did.
Yes they do !
see the Cah jacker thread in the SO :eek:

snp
11/9/2006, 01:12 AM
second page of the Washington Post Story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/08/AR2006110802149_2.html

"Pata showed off several guns he kept in a closet in his apartment during a recent interview, the Miami Herald reported, saying he liked to take them to local shooting ranges and hoped one day to join the FBI and become a sharpshooter. He majored in criminology."

Oh ffs. A person who likes to shoot their rifles at a shooting range != a thug. Get real.

Typical. Point not appreciated by others, revert to calling prevelant posters dorks. Obviously we have no lives because we enjoy posting. Yup, we're totally dorks. :rolleyes:

I'm done with this thread.

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 01:15 AM
If it turns out to be unrelated to gangs, drugs, or other Miami-like behavior I'll apologize and take it all back.

I doubt any Miami fans were holding back when several of our players were getting into assorted BS they shouldn't have been involved in while they were TRULY representing our school.

And honestly, I'm being pretty nice in this thread...I'm much worse in person.

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 01:18 AM
And as for that last attack on BB02, I just saw him pointing out his views on the matter then getting attacked for not having posted enough times to satisfy people's requirements for him to be allowed to have a thought and when he fired back, he's accused of "reverting" to namecalling...cute double standard.

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 01:21 AM
If it turns out to be unrelated to gangs, drugs, or other Miami-like behavior I'll apologize and take it all back.

I doubt any Miami fans were holding back when several of our players were getting into assorted BS they shouldn't have been involved in while they were TRULY representing our school.

And honestly, I'm being pretty nice in this thread...I'm much worse in person.
See my post above ?
We as OU fans HAVE more class :cool:
If you are a bigger dick than this in person :eek: I feel sorry for all who know you

Octavian
11/9/2006, 01:24 AM
Unbelievable.

A young man...a human being...with a family, with friends, with a bright future....just lost his life in a violent manner...an event which will haunt his loved ones for the rest of their lives.

And some people can't feel sadness b/c of a few football games we lost 20 years ago.

Pathetic.

Absolutely pathetic.

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 01:24 AM
And as for that last attack on BB02, I just saw him pointing out his views on the matter then getting attacked for not having posted enough times to satisfy people's requirements for him to be allowed to have a thought and when he fired back, he's accused of "reverting" to namecalling...cute double standard.
Who in the **** is BB02 ? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
No wonder your ****ed up

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 01:26 AM
blackbeauty02

But then, I know how to read.

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 01:28 AM
blackbeauty02

But then, I know how to read.
Ya think ? :twinkies:

Octavian
11/9/2006, 01:30 AM
In an incomprehensibly sad scene observed by the Miami Herald, the player’s mother, Ronette Pata, wearing her son’s No. 95 jersey, jumped out of a Lexus that had arrived outside the police line about 9:30 p.m. last night and screamed, ''My baby! My baby!'' before collapsing into the arms of a Miami-Dade detective.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/football/ncaa/2006/11/miami-in-mourning.html

I wonder if some of you would say the same things to his mother in person as you have while sitting behind the comfortable confines of your anonymous internet screen names...

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 01:37 AM
Probably not, because despite the discussion HERE where she isn't, I have the class to know not to act that way to a grieving mother. It's a matter of who I'm talking to...This is a thread that started with a story that referenced the problems Miami has had in the context of the death of a player. Had the story originally posted been about the death only with no mention of the other issues I'd have had nothing to say. Had this been an editorial argument in a newspaper she subscribes to I'd have laid low. But neither of these is the case, so we have the conversation we're having now.

Octavian
11/9/2006, 01:45 AM
Probably not, because despite the discussion HERE where she isn't, I have the class to know not to act that way to a grieving mother. It's a matter of who I'm talking to...This is a thread that started with a story that referenced the problems Miami has had in the context of the death of a player. Had the story originally posted been about the death only with no mention of the other issues I'd have had nothing to say. Had this been an editorial argument in a newspaper she subscribes to I'd have laid low. But neither of these is the case, so we have the conversation we're having now.

sometimes a simple "Yeah I was wrong...sorry for a being such a ******rocket" goes a long ways.

keep digging.

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 01:49 AM
I already said a few posts back that if it turns out I'm wrong about it I'll apologize, but at least I had this fine opportunity to be called a ******rocket.

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 02:03 AM
I already said a few posts back that if it turns out I'm wrong about it I'll apologize, but at least I had this fine opportunity to be called a ******rocket.
Plus now you get to be called a " dickwheel"
Go back and read the 1st post on how this thread started and then come back and let us know how much "class " you have .

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 02:14 AM
It started with a story about another gun incident at Miami, this one leading to a death:

It was the second incident involving guns this season for the Hurricanes.

In July, reserve safety Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks when confronted in his yard before an early morning workout. Cooper was not seriously injured.

Brandon Meriweather, one of Cooper's teammates and roommates, returned fire at Cooper's assailant, taking three shots that apparently missed, police said.

Several Miami players, including Pata, said that incident was a robbery attempt, and cautioned other teammates to always be aware of their surroundings.

"We're targets because we play for the University of Miami. ... These guys, they know who we are," Miami linebacker Jon Beason said shortly after the Cooper shooting.

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 02:28 AM
You said( LOOK up ) This thread started . I see No reference to Miamis probs on or off the field :rolleyes:
There was NO other mention OF any issues . Just that a young man died
you lose, thanks for playing ;)
If you dont remember or believe me go to 1st post
it will set you str8 :twinkies:

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 02:29 AM
It started with a story about another gun incident at Miami, this one leading to a death:
One of us needs to hit the remedial reading class :(
The media said shat about another incident . not the thread starter

BIG_IKE
11/9/2006, 06:31 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/jackass/jackass.gif:pop:

sanantoniosooner
11/9/2006, 09:00 AM
You try to noobproof a thread and they build a better noob.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/9/2006, 09:42 AM
Because i was thinking big picture for Coker. Even though he had nothing to do with this its still gonna look bad in the eyes of admin. i would think. Players carrying guns, players firing guns, players involved in fights, and now a player murdered.

He didn't have anything to do with a lot of this but somehow i don't think that is gonna matter.

By the way.... this is a terrible thing for anyone to have to deal with.

I got your back on this one. The players are running the show there. Coker's got to put the fear in them and make them respect their school, their team, and him. They don't care about respect or responsibility. They are a gang, not a team. Major fights, gun play, murder, drugs... smacks of gang activitaaayy.

It's not Coker's fault, but he ain't the right guy to lead these yahoos either. That's a fact.

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 11:53 AM
Again I say..the thread starter posted the AP story which pointed out that this is the second gun incident this year...and the first one had resulted in return fire. I'd say walking around armed and ready for a shootout is an indication of the mindset.

The thread starter also commented that "this is bad for Miami", so quit referring me to the first post in the misconception that I didn't read the post.

If you want me to reply to a post without making reference to guns and thuggy behavior, perhaps you should post some recipes or perhaps read my replies to posts about OU or about topics that aren't related to violence.

blackbeauty02
11/9/2006, 05:52 PM
Typical. Point not appreciated by others, revert to calling prevelant posters dorks. Obviously we have no lives because we enjoy posting. Yup, we're totally dorks. :rolleyes:

I'm done with this thread.

i said that in reply b/c someone stated i can't post advice, whatnot b/c I only have 21 posts on here. So I was apologizing that I don't have the omnipotent posting power that most guys do. I get on here every once in awhile and post here and there. I have only been a member for a month so of course I'm not going to have racked up legendary post status. But I highly doubt I'll ever have that many posts b/c I mainly read the posts that are going on. For future reference this "newb" will no long post b/c it seems it is forbidden in the forum culture.

EDIT: Hey I'm up to 27 posts...do I get a cookie now?!?!

blackbeauty02
11/9/2006, 05:57 PM
I got your back on this one. The players are running the show there. Coker's got to put the fear in them and make them respect their school, their team, and him. They don't care about respect or responsibility. They are a gang, not a team. Major fights, gun play, murder, drugs... smacks of gang activitaaayy.

It's not Coker's fault, but he ain't the right guy to lead these yahoos either. That's a fact.

This was exactly what I was trying to say Third Knee but I got attacked and you'll prob get attacked too. Coker needs to leave and they need to clean up Miami's act before it gets worse.

sanantoniosooner
11/9/2006, 06:00 PM
For future reference this "newb" will no long post b/c it seems it is forbidden in the forum culture.
cya

blackbeauty02
11/9/2006, 06:01 PM
cya

The God's have spoken...

sanantoniosooner
11/9/2006, 06:02 PM
The God's have spoken...
Back already.

Missed ya.

blackbeauty02
11/9/2006, 06:05 PM
yea, I'm just trying to build my posts up now. thanks for the help...

sanantoniosooner
11/9/2006, 06:13 PM
blackbeauty01 wasn't nearly as needy.

blackbeauty02
11/9/2006, 09:29 PM
yea but he was a texas fan. so i had to kill him.

soonerkaufmanII
11/10/2006, 07:42 AM
Did any one of you people actually care about this kid before he was killed? I doubt it. And why when somebody dies do they automatically become a "scholar athelete" or a "model citizen"? Just a month ago everyone was bashing Miami for a brawl that most likely this kid was part of. There are murders that happen everyday, day you pray for the families of all those people? If you're religious, then maybe you should pray for something to change so that these unfortunate events don't happen again. Does it do any good to pray for a kid and his family after he's dead, seems to me his fate is sealed? How about praying for the teammates that lost a friend and have to continue their lives without him.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/10/2006, 09:31 AM
This was exactly what I was trying to say Third Knee but I got attacked and you'll prob get attacked too. Coker needs to leave and they need to clean up Miami's act before it gets worse.

Yeah, but i have a high post count, so it just bounces off me.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/10/2006, 09:40 AM
Did any one of you people actually care about this kid before he was killed? I doubt it. And why when somebody dies do they automatically become a "scholar athelete" or a "model citizen"? Just a month ago everyone was bashing Miami for a brawl that most likely this kid was part of. There are murders that happen everyday, day you pray for the families of all those people? If you're religious, then maybe you should pray for something to change so that these unfortunate events don't happen again. Does it do any good to pray for a kid and his family after he's dead, seems to me his fate is sealed? How about praying for the teammates that lost a friend and have to continue their lives without him.

That's pretty philisophical for a football message board, but here goes:
Attempts to understand death and its ramifications have generated much controversy. In what follows we examine six topics.
First, what constitutes a person's death? It is clear enough that people die when their lives end, but less clear what constitutes the ending of a person's life.
Second, what are the challenges to the harm thesis, the claim that death can harm the individual who dies, and to the posthumous harm thesis, according to which events that occur after an individual dies can still harm that individual? These challenges include the following:

On the symmetry argument, it is irrational to think death is bad for us, because we do not think the nonexistence preceding our births is bad for us, and when we compare this period of nonexistence to death, we see the two are mirror images, alike in all respects.
The timing puzzle is a three-part challenge. Death or posthumous events may harm those who die only if there is a subject who is harmed, a harm that subject incurs, and a time at which harm is incurred by that subject. So when is the harm incurred? Presumably either before we die, or afterwards, but neither option seems satisfactory. On the first, there is a clear subject who is harmed, but it is hard to see what harm is done to that subject. Moreover, it is difficult to see how an event may affect us before it even occurs. As to the second option: it is hard to see what the subject of posthumous harm would be, given that we do not exist (as persons) after death. It is also difficult to see what harm may be incurred by a nonexistent person.
Finally, the immunity argument suggests that the posthumous harm thesis is false precisely because death leaves us immune to further harm. One version of the argument is associated with Derek Parfit's view that satisfying our past desires — desires we no longer have — no longer affects our well-being. Given Parfit's claim, it seems reasonable to conclude that posthumous events cannot harm us, since death leaves us with only past desires. Third, how might we rebut the challenges to the harm theses? Doing so will require, among other things, solving the timing puzzle. One might argue that at least part of the harm for which death is responsible is incurred precisely when death occurs. But it is implausible to say that the harm of posthumous events is incurred when those events occur. A more promising strategy is to say it is accrued while its victim is alive.
Assuming that the harm theses are correct, a fourth controversy arises, concerning the specific nature of the threat death and various post-mortem events pose, and whether such harms constitute misfortune. Presumably, these events harm us, at least in part, by precluding our having certain goods, but we are not always harmed by states of affairs that block our access to goods. My not having Superman's powers blocks me from leaping over tall buildings in a single bound, but it would be silly to say that I am harmed by my lack of super powers. As an approximation, we might say that an event or state of affairs harms me if it ensures that I will lack some good that, otherwise, I would have had, but this criterion is open to objections.
A fifth controversy concerns whether all deaths are misfortunes or only some. Of particular interest here is a dispute between Thomas Nagel, who says that death is always an evil, since continued life always makes good things accessible, and Bernard Williams, who argues that, while premature death is a misfortune, it is a good thing that we are not immortal, since we cannot continue to be who we are now and remain meaningfully attached to life forever.
A final controversy concerns whether or not the harmfulness of death can be reduced. It may be that, by adjusting our conception of our well-being, and by altering our attitudes, we can reduce or eliminate the threat death poses us. But there is a case to be made that such efforts backfire if taken to extremes.

If you want me to expound upon this, I can...

birddog
11/10/2006, 10:34 AM
Does it do any good to pray for a kid and his family after he's dead, seems to me his fate is sealed? How about praying for the teammates that lost a friend and have to continue their lives without him.

his family is still alive.

blackbeauty02
11/10/2006, 01:17 PM
That's pretty philisophical for a football message board, but here goes:
Attempts to understand death and its ramifications have generated much controversy. In what follows we examine six topics.
First, what constitutes a person's death? It is clear enough that people die when their lives end, but less clear what constitutes the ending of a person's life.
Second, what are the challenges to the harm thesis, the claim that death can harm the individual who dies, and to the posthumous harm thesis, according to which events that occur after an individual dies can still harm that individual? These challenges include the following:

On the symmetry argument, it is irrational to think death is bad for us, because we do not think the nonexistence preceding our births is bad for us, and when we compare this period of nonexistence to death, we see the two are mirror images, alike in all respects.
The timing puzzle is a three-part challenge. Death or posthumous events may harm those who die only if there is a subject who is harmed, a harm that subject incurs, and a time at which harm is incurred by that subject. So when is the harm incurred? Presumably either before we die, or afterwards, but neither option seems satisfactory. On the first, there is a clear subject who is harmed, but it is hard to see what harm is done to that subject. Moreover, it is difficult to see how an event may affect us before it even occurs. As to the second option: it is hard to see what the subject of posthumous harm would be, given that we do not exist (as persons) after death. It is also difficult to see what harm may be incurred by a nonexistent person.
Finally, the immunity argument suggests that the posthumous harm thesis is false precisely because death leaves us immune to further harm. One version of the argument is associated with Derek Parfit's view that satisfying our past desires — desires we no longer have — no longer affects our well-being. Given Parfit's claim, it seems reasonable to conclude that posthumous events cannot harm us, since death leaves us with only past desires. Third, how might we rebut the challenges to the harm theses? Doing so will require, among other things, solving the timing puzzle. One might argue that at least part of the harm for which death is responsible is incurred precisely when death occurs. But it is implausible to say that the harm of posthumous events is incurred when those events occur. A more promising strategy is to say it is accrued while its victim is alive.
Assuming that the harm theses are correct, a fourth controversy arises, concerning the specific nature of the threat death and various post-mortem events pose, and whether such harms constitute misfortune. Presumably, these events harm us, at least in part, by precluding our having certain goods, but we are not always harmed by states of affairs that block our access to goods. My not having Superman's powers blocks me from leaping over tall buildings in a single bound, but it would be silly to say that I am harmed by my lack of super powers. As an approximation, we might say that an event or state of affairs harms me if it ensures that I will lack some good that, otherwise, I would have had, but this criterion is open to objections.
A fifth controversy concerns whether all deaths are misfortunes or only some. Of particular interest here is a dispute between Thomas Nagel, who says that death is always an evil, since continued life always makes good things accessible, and Bernard Williams, who argues that, while premature death is a misfortune, it is a good thing that we are not immortal, since we cannot continue to be who we are now and remain meaningfully attached to life forever.
A final controversy concerns whether or not the harmfulness of death can be reduced. It may be that, by adjusting our conception of our well-being, and by altering our attitudes, we can reduce or eliminate the threat death poses us. But there is a case to be made that such efforts backfire if taken to extremes.

If you want me to expound upon this, I can...

wow. if i could fit that into my quote i would. well said mr. third knee. well said.

soonerkaufmanII
11/10/2006, 01:47 PM
Life is not about trying to understanding death, it is about accepting that it exists. That being said, the questions I posed in my previous post had nothing to do with how or why this kid died, but why people on this board feel the need to pray for this kid and/or his family after his death when a month ago they could've cared less.

SoonerTerry
11/10/2006, 02:16 PM
That being said, the questions I posed in my previous post had nothing to do with how or why this kid died, but why people on this board feel the need to pray for this kid and/or his family after his death when a month ago they could've cared less.

Because descent people reach out to others in times of dispair. Damn, thats one of the redeming qualities of our entire species.
If you dont understand that, then you are one jaded @$$, or 12 years old and have never lost anything more important than your favorite Hotwheel.

Anyway, what is the cost of prayer? Faith?

sanantoniosooner
11/10/2006, 02:21 PM
Life is not about trying to understanding death, it is about accepting that it exists. That being said, the questions I posed in my previous post had nothing to do with how or why this kid died, but why people on this board feel the need to pray for this kid and/or his family after his death when a month ago they could've cared less.
Because we weren't touched with the need a month ago.

Why do you need an explanation for showing compassion to someone who has had their life turned upside down?

Stoop Dawg
11/10/2006, 03:36 PM

Jason White's Third Knee
11/10/2006, 05:38 PM

OH! That's what it's about. My bad. You should teach a class.

birddog
11/10/2006, 09:39 PM

so i guess we shouldn't have cared when randy walker, coach of n'western, died.

i didn't know the guy but i was upset when he passed away.

Crucifax Autumn
11/11/2006, 04:46 AM
Police search apartment of slain Pata
Press-Telegram wire services
Article Launched:11/10/2006 11:04:30 PM PST

While the Miami Hurricanes continue to try to cope with the loss of slain football player Bryan Pata, police remain tight-lipped about the investigation, following a search of Pata's apartment.

A search warrant for Pata's apartment was released Thursday by the state attorney's office. According to the warrant, police were looking for firearms, bullets, narcotics, phone records, financial records, hairs, fibers, DNA evidence, latent fingerprints, photos and clothing, among other types of evidence. Police did not disclose what they found.

Pata, a starting defensive tackle, suffered multiple gunshot wounds, at least one to the back of the head at close range, at approximately 7:30 p.m. Tuesday near the entry way of his Kendall apartment's outside hallway, according to multiple sources.

Pata, a senior majoring in criminology who had envisioned working for the FBI once his football career was over, was known among his teammates as a gun collector, according to a team source.

He obtained a concealed weapons license in February, but investigators would not specify if any weapons were found in the apartment, which he shared with a teammate, and his girlfriend, Jada Brody.

On Pata's Myspace Web site page is a photo of a semiautomatic weapon placed between the words "Defend Haiti." Pata is of Haitian descent.
An official statement from the Miami-Dade Police Department said it has received numerous calls about Pata's homicide and is working "around the clock" with the investigation.

"We understand that there are many rumors going around; one of them being that there has been an arrest on this case. This is not true," Miami-Dade spokesperson Nelda Fonticiella wrote in a statement. "At this time, we have no suspects in custody."

Crucifax Autumn
11/11/2006, 04:50 AM
To be fair, here's another article that kinda shows both sides of the discussion that's been taking place, albeit with a key point highlighted:

Time for a new direction at Miami
By Mike Bianchi

The Orlando Sentinel

(MCT)

ORLANDO, Fla. - It is time for the University of Miami to go to the blackboard and erase Coach Larry Coker's name.

And Athletic Director Paul Dee's name.

And President Donna Shalala's name.

Wipe the slate clean and start anew. Erase every remnant from this disappointing, depressing, miserable and, now, mournful season.

The administration might have survived the disciplinary problems; the recruiting of a player who had been arrested 11 times in five years; the riotous, bench-clearing brawl; even the 5-4 record.

But now a player has been killed, and there's no other choice for the university: It must make massive changes to show the nation it is serious about scrubbing the image of a woebegone, scandal-scarred program.

First of all, let's state this right up front: It's absolutely unfair and inappropriate for anyone to blame the shooting death of UM defensive tackle Bryan Pata on the UM football program. It wasn't the UM football program that shot Pata; it was a ruthless killer.

This could have happened anywhere. It could have happened at Florida, where players have been found with assault rifles in their possession in recent months. It could have happened at Florida State, where former player Pablo Lopez was shot to death on campus 20 years ago.

But it didn't happen at Florida or Florida State or Michigan or Ohio State. It happened at Miami - a school that has the unsavory national moniker of "Thug U."

Doesn't matter that Pata has been described by The Miami Herald as a Christian who never drank or partied. Doesn't matter that he was a team leader who switched positions before the season and played where coaches needed him most.

No, what matters in the court of public opinion is that Pata played at UM, which means the school's renegade reputation will be forever linked to his death.

That's why Miami must make sweeping changes in its administration. It is the only way to overcome this tragedy and start rebuilding the school's dilapidated image. Lefty Driesell had nothing to do with Len Bias dying of a cocaine overdose 20 years ago, but he was fired as Maryland's basketball coach nonetheless. Why? Because the school needed a scapegoat for the many academic and disciplinary problems uncovered during an investigation after Bias' death.

Likewise, Coker, Dee and Shalala should go, too. For the good of the program. So the university can move past this dark time and distance itself from the tragedies and scandals of the past two years.

Pata's death will have a devastating effect not only on this year's UM team but on future teams as well. Recruiting at UM will be impossible for Coker. Fair or unfair, do you think parents of high-school stars will feel comfortable sending their sons to play for Miami in the wake of a player being killed?

It would be one thing if Miami's reputation were improving under the current administration, but the notoriety is as negative as it's ever been.

Can current school administrators claim to be cleaning up the program's image when they enrolled standout high-school linebacker Willie Williams, who'd been arrested 11 times? Can they really be taken seriously about discipline when defensive back Brandon Meriweather was suspended for just one game for repeatedly kicking and stomping on a fallen player during the melee with FIU?

What does any of this have to do with Pata's senseless death?

Nothing, really.

It's just time for a new direction.

A young athlete has died a horrible death.

His old school needs to be born again.

SoonerTerry
11/11/2006, 10:40 AM
link?