PDA

View Full Version : Gun Question

royalfan5
11/7/2006, 08:33 PM
Do newer shotguns have more kick than older ones? My cousin just got a new .20 gauge, and when they took him out shooting for the first time, they ended up switching him to my .20 gauge which is fairly old because it had less kick.(My Grandpa bought it new at some point 20-40 years ago)

Jerk
11/7/2006, 08:40 PM
Is the older shotgun heavier than the newer one? The heavier one will have less felt recoil.

What kind of recoil pads does each have?

In general, with everything else being equal, automatics will kick less than pumps or over/unders, because with autos much of the gas is used to operate the action.

OUAndy1807
11/7/2006, 08:42 PM
your "shotgun" is really a bb gun.

royalfan5
11/7/2006, 08:43 PM
Is the older shotgun heavier than the newer one?

In general, with everything else being equal, automatics will kick less than pumps or over/unders, because with autos much of the gas is used to operate the action.
I haven't seen his gun, but mine is a semi-automatic, and doesn't have recoil pads at all.

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 08:46 PM
Is the older shotgun heavier than the newer one? The heavier one will have less felt recoil.

There ya go
that was my ? pump ,single shot versus/ auto loader big difference
same type weapon, same butt plate, same size loads = same recoil
And in my best DEAN voice , jesuscristonacrutch , who in hell feels recoil from a 20 Ga. ?

BeetDigger
11/7/2006, 08:47 PM
I haven't seen his gun, but mine is a semi-automatic, and doesn't have recoil pads at all.

That's the key. Semi-auto uses the recoil to eject and load the next shell. It also has a design that minimizes recoil. A pump, sxs, ou and ss all have full recoil because it is being transfered directly to the shooter without the benefit of the action taking some of it.

Newer guns would be more likely to have designs that minimize recoil vs. older guns, all things being equal (if the manufacturer thought that was an important feature).

royalfan5
11/7/2006, 08:48 PM
There ya go
that was my ? pump ,single shot versus/ auto loader big difference
same type weapon, same butt plate, same size loads = same recoil
And in my best DEAN voice , jesuscristonacrutch , who in hell feels recoil from a 20 Ga. ?
He is a 4th Grader.

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 08:48 PM
there ya go . a 20 ga auto loader has no recoil
hell Id shoot that sombitch 1 handed
Get a real gun

Jerk
11/7/2006, 08:50 PM

Yes, "auto" shotguns are semi. Just like the .45 automatic pistol. It's not a machine gun.

"auto" meaning that the gun loads itself "automatically," not that it is fully auto by holding the trigger.

royalfan5
there ya go . a 20 ga auto loader has no recoil
hell Id shoot that sombitch 1 handed
Get a real gun
I really don't have a use for anything heavier than a .20 gauge. I use the 4/10 more because I usually am only blowing up small varminents. If neither of my Grandfathers didn't need anything bigger thant .20 gauge or 25/20 I don't either.

olevetonahill
He is a 4th Grader.
Then hes a 10 yr old or thereabouts
some one needs to teach him to Lean into the shot.
Not dissin him but my 7 yr old Grandson shoots my 12 ga often

royalfan5
11/7/2006, 08:52 PM
Then hes a 10 yr old or thereabouts
some one needs to teach him to Lean into the shot.
Not dissin him but my 7 yr old Grandson shoots my 12 ga often
I'm sure he'll get the hang of it, since he just got to shoot for the first time. His Dad didn't learn to shoot until he was much older because his Dad(my cousin's Grandpa, not mine) didn't allow him to have guns, only a bow and arrow because of his dad's wounds in Vietnam made him very anti-gun.

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 08:55 PM
I fired my 1st shot gun when I was 6
an old 12 ga double barrel ( if its still around its really freaking old now )
The dayum thing knocked me on my asz :eek:
I stood up rubbed my shoulder and My asz
then fired the other barrel :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Didnt fire a 12 again till I was 10

Jerk
11/7/2006, 08:58 PM
Some dipsh** had my wife shoot a 12 guage loaded with a slug and it knocked her on her butt....(this was years ago)

Now I can't even get her to shoot a .22

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 08:58 PM
I'm sure he'll get the hang of it, since he just got to shoot for the first time. His Dad didn't learn to shoot until he was much older because his Dad(my cousin's Grandpa, not mine) didn't allow him to have guns, only a bow and arrow because of his dad's wounds in Vietnam made him very anti-gun.
Hmm Mine made me Pro gun go figure ;)
I really suggest that they take the young man to a range and let a Pro teach him how to shoot
And I hope we have answered your ?
;)

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 08:59 PM
Some dipsh** had my wife shoot a 12 guage loaded with a slug and it knocked her on her butt....(this was years ago)

Now I can't even get her to shoot a .22
hehe *****
Oh wait :D

royalfan5
11/7/2006, 09:01 PM
Hmm Mine made me Pro gun go figure ;)
I really suggest that they take the young man to a range and let a Pro teach him how to shoot
And I hope we have answered your ?
;)
My Stepdad will get him get him set eventually. He is probably the Gun equal of anyone on the board. And yes, my gun question has been answered.

olevetonahill
11/7/2006, 09:08 PM
My Stepdad will get him get him set eventually. He is probably the Gun equal of anyone on the board. And yes, my gun question has been answered.
Cool
But there do be a few folk on here thats pretty handy with a weapon ;)
But like Jerk said if an idiot trys to teach a novice the young one gets skeered and wont ever learn to love the shooting sports . just sayin

royalfan5
11/7/2006, 09:10 PM
Cool
But there do be a few folk on here thats pretty handy with a weapon ;)
But like Jerk said if an idiot trys to teach a novice the young one gets skeered and wont ever learn to love the shooting sports . just sayin
I know, but he is about as handy with every type of gun as you can get, and has been teaching Hunter Safety for a long time to share that knowledge.