PDA

View Full Version : Leach comments (heh)

picasso
11/7/2006, 07:27 PM
Leach tells his critics to get over it
By DAVE SITTLER Tulsa World Sports Columnist
11/7/2006

If you're offended by a coach who would run up the score on his mother, then you probably are not a real big fan of Texas Tech coach Mike Leach.

Leach, Oklahoma's former offensive coordinator, will return to Norman for Saturday's 6 p.m. contest against the Sooners. As usual, some controversy will accompany Leach on the trip.

The latest Leach flap occurred in Tech's 55-21 win last Saturday over Baylor. Some Bears fans were offended when Leach challenged a ruling on the field with two minutes, 5 seconds left, which resulted in the call being overturned and the Red Raiders awarded a fumble recovery.

After the game, Baylor coach Guy Morriss said he had no problem with the challenge, but then he added: "If the day ever comes, we're going to try to hang 75 (points) on their a--. I guarantee you that."

Tech's unpredictable and often eccentric coach was low-key on Monday's teleconference when asked about Morriss' goal to score 75 points on a Leach-coached team.

"I would just hope that we'd be lucky enough to score 76," Leach said.

Leach's high-powered, wide-open passing attack certainly is capable of hanging 76 points on an opponent. And some have taken offense to "Mad Mike's" thirst for wringing every point possible

out of every game.

To which Leach has replied: Get over it, or deal with it.

"This country in general has gotten to where everybody is a master at finding offense at anything," Leach said. "When I get older, I'm going to try to be very artful at being offended by everything.

"I don't have time now. But there's got to be something enjoyable about finding offense to everything, and hopefully some time in my life I'll have time to dwell on it long enough to enjoy it."

Leach, who has a law degree, is normally found defending his team's offense after another high-scoring contest. But he was also up to the task Monday when called on to explain why he stood up for his defense against the Bears.

While his critics felt Leach should have let the clock run out and get the blowout of the Bears over with, the Tech coach said his challenge on the fumble recovery shouldn't have created any controversy.

"If there is a controversy, it's really a stupid controversy," he said. "If there's a controversy on that (call), there's a starvation for controversy.

"Our defense worked real hard to get turnovers all week (in practice). Whoever caused the turnover, whoever got the turnover . . . they deserve credit for the turnover. They should be awarded accordingly for their efforts. Ain't nothing controversial about it."

Leach became only the second Big 12 coach to have a challenge overturned this season. And after he won it, he had his offense back on the move to score more points, but the clock ran out before the Raiders could put up another touchdown.

"People ask me all the time about when Mike puts a ton of points on people and other coaches start fussing," said Morriss. "I don't have a problem with that."

Perhaps Morriss is more tolerant with Leach because they worked together as assistants on staffs at Valdosta State and Kentucky.

"My job is to keep (opponents) out of the end zone," Morriss said. "That's what I need to be worrying about

"He (Leach) is just doing what he asks his kids to do. What are you going to do, send them out there and say, 'Hey guys, we don't want to score this time?' That's crazy."

Leach also said he understood Morriss' heated comments immediately after the game when he added, "Football's frustrating, and all teams want to play well."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Sittler 581-8312
[email protected]

usmc-sooner
11/7/2006, 07:34 PM
I really like Leach

mightysooner
11/7/2006, 07:41 PM
I love Mike Leach. It's interesting that we live in a world where we consider people who tell it like it is "eccentric". I'm with Leach and the notion that if you don't want to get blown out, get better. So he doesn't call off the dogs. If you don't like it, learn how to handle dogs.

soonersweetie
11/7/2006, 08:05 PM
I love his comment about how people get so offended nowadays. He is so not politically correct. It's very refreshing.

sanantoniosooner
11/7/2006, 08:12 PM
I wonder what Leach would have to say about classless opponents, media bias and ref conspiracies.

bri
11/7/2006, 08:20 PM
Sometimes, a pirate can write a poorly-punctuated, spelling-error-filled email to a national columnist that dared to criticize that pirate's favorite team...

OUAndy1807
11/7/2006, 08:33 PM
I love the guy

BIG_IKE
11/7/2006, 08:50 PM
My coach always told me the goal of the offense is to score points. The goal of the defense is to prevent points. If you dont like people scoring on you then STOP THEM!

If your job is to score and you try NOT to score...you are not being tacky, your cheating for not trying to do your job to the best of your ability.

Flying Scotsman
11/7/2006, 08:56 PM
Hopefully, our defense can keep Crazy Mike to less than 17....

royalfan5
11/7/2006, 08:59 PM
Mike Leach should run for President. Imagine the possibilities.

bluedogok
11/7/2006, 09:16 PM
Billy Tubbs basically said the same thing back when OU was scoring over 100 (and sometimes well over) all the time. They seem to be a lot alike.

StoopTroup
11/7/2006, 09:25 PM
I don't like it when we play him.

I guess I should get used to it...

Doesn't seem like he's gonna leave the Big XII anytime soon.

birddog
11/7/2006, 09:28 PM
lucklily i can separate my appreciation for leach from my extreme dislike for the tech fans.

44-20.

umberto
11/7/2006, 11:31 PM
Leach is a lot more fun to listen to than most coaches. He definitely avoids the "coach-speak" at all costs!

OU Adonis
11/7/2006, 11:38 PM
Billy had a team score 97 in the first half of a game and was up by like 50.

bluedogok
11/7/2006, 11:41 PM
I was at a few of those type of games in Wayman's freshman year, the same as mine (82-83).

william_brasky
11/7/2006, 11:43 PM
The latest Leach flap occurred in Tech's 55-21 win last Saturday over Baylor. Some Bears fans were offended when Leach challenged a ruling on the field with two minutes, 5 seconds left, which resulted in the call being overturned and the Red Raiders awarded a fumble recovery.

Leach became only the second Big 12 coach to have a challenge overturned this season. And after he won it, he had his offense back on the move to score more points, but the clock ran out before the Raiders could put up another touchdown.

I like Leach, but if you're leading 55-21 with 2 minutes left in the game, and you're trying to score, you're being a mega-*********.

picasso
11/8/2006, 12:02 AM
I like Leach, but if you're leading 55-21 with 2 minutes left in the game, and you're trying to score, you're being a mega-*********.
I'm told he was running draw plays. I didn't get to see it myself.

william_brasky
11/8/2006, 12:05 AM
I would hope they were running draw plays.

1) see previoius mega-********* comment.
2) they need the work on their run game.

Stoop Dawg
11/8/2006, 12:17 AM
I'd like to add my appreciation for Leach's comments to this thread. He seems to be very matter-of-fact without coming off as cocky.

sooneron
11/8/2006, 12:25 AM
I would party with that guy, Mike Leach.

crawfish
11/8/2006, 09:39 AM
He reminds me of Billy Tubbs. "If you don't want us running up the score, then stop us."

Beef
11/8/2006, 09:54 AM
I don't see it as running up the score. Looks to me like he was holding referees accountable for their job, which needs to happen no matter what the score is.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/8/2006, 10:21 AM

So if those 2nd and 3rd stringers are trying to score they're mega-*********s?

Sorry, but if a coach is calling pure vanilla from the sideline with no intention of running up the score, but the talent (and effort) is lopsided enough that his team punches it into the endzone anyway, then I say tough noogies.

Tough.

Noogies.

To the "offended" opponent: Get better.

And let's remember that Mike's offense doesn't have a lot of "non-scoring" plays because or YAC. What? Should the receivers fall down as soon as they've caught it, or the running back fall down as soon as he's received the handoff? No way. Especially when, IMO, every coach has the need and obligation to continue to develop his young talent whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Please see 77-0.

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 10:22 AM
There are no "tough noogies" in football.

Maybe baseball, but not football.