PDA

View Full Version : Independent films in OK....

OUAndy1807
11/7/2006, 06:18 PM
are there any local movie houses (hopefully in OKC) other than the OKC Museum of Art that play smaller run films?

OklahomaTuba
11/7/2006, 06:21 PM
There's that one in downtown Tulsa.

OUAndy1807
11/7/2006, 06:22 PM
I hate Tulsa.

sooneron
11/7/2006, 09:59 PM
Oklahoma is wasteland for independent film.

SoonerTitan
11/7/2006, 10:03 PM
Oklahoma is wasteland for independent film.
and that's sad there should be a place to show these movies because it's almost art in some cases.

sooneron
11/7/2006, 10:13 PM
I can remember going to Edmond to see Blue Velvet.

King Crimson
11/7/2006, 10:20 PM
the University really drops the ball on that front in my opinion (much like the student radio station issue). many many universities have indy/foreign film series. the one at Colorado has 4 different screeings a week Spring and Fall semesters and usually 2 screenings a night--but it's also been endowed since forever. the one at OU is irregular and basically non-existant.

http://www.internationalfilmseries.com/

Mongo
11/7/2006, 10:22 PM
Independant films are all the same. They always end up with two gay cowboys eating chocolate puddin.

OUAndy1807
11/7/2006, 10:30 PM
OU film club seems to be obsessed with Fight Club for some reason.

King Crimson
11/7/2006, 10:33 PM
it wouldn't be that hard to setup a low budget one......with today's "technology" classrooms. you get a DVD from Netflix and show it in a lecture hall. sure, it's not the same as running a projector. but you have to start somewhere. charge 2 bucks to get in. startup costs: Netflix subscription, photocopy budget for fliers, an advertising budget in teh OU DAily, ciphon off some student volunteers from the J-School or English dept. how much is that total?

OUAndy1807
11/7/2006, 10:35 PM
yeah, except for all those FBI regulations. plus, I just want to watch some of the indie films.

Has anyone heard about this new one called "The Bridge"?

sooneron
11/7/2006, 10:42 PM
I've heard it's pretty damn moving.

sooneron
11/7/2006, 10:43 PM
And King, I agree, OU really drops the ball on this. I seem to remember the Other film club when I was in school- the only problem was it was a lot of re-treads. I think Mooneyham had a lot to do with it.

OUAndy1807
11/7/2006, 10:44 PM
yeah, supposed to be pretty eerie.

I can't believe that OKC couldn't support a theater that played those kind of movies, maybe Thursday through Sunday. Or that one of the big boys couldn't show Spiderman 3 on 7 screens instead of 8 and put something good up.

sooneron
11/7/2006, 10:47 PM
yeah, supposed to be pretty eerie.

I can't believe that OKC couldn't support a theater that played those kind of movies, maybe Thursday through Sunday. Or that one of the big boys couldn't show Spiderman 3 on 7 screens instead of 8 and put something good up.
Actually, if they were smart, they would screen Mon-Thurs. Those are the less family oriented nights.

yermom
11/8/2006, 01:26 AM
yeah, it sucks driving to Dallas or Tulsa for stuff like that... i'd probably be a lot more into indie flicks if there was a local theater or something on campus showing them

i've always been a little disappointed in the OU radio station thing too

LoyalFan
11/8/2006, 01:45 PM
Ummmmm...Would the "film" my second spouse and I made in Room --- at the Stratford in Norman (1984) count as an OkieIndy? We were so pumped after watching Barry's boys beat up on East Popcorn M&M that we sorta, well, celebrated our love avec the miracle of video.
Note: No animals were harmed in the making of this movie! (Well, the mouse in the corner was sorta shocked.)

Best line in movie: "Hi Mom!"
Best performance by a leading lady: Mary Ellen
Best performance by a leading man: No nominees
Best performance by a giggling desk clerkette: "Y'all come back soon, OK?"
Best performance by a neighboring quest: "Wow, sir, and you're how much older?" (See: "Thin walls; curse or blessing?" Reader's Digest, October 1984)
Best performance by a neighboring guest's wife: "Ask if they give lessons."

Well, I was just wondering. Where do I send the trailer?

LF

sooneron
11/8/2006, 01:47 PM
I call bunk, I don't believe the Stratford Inn was open as of yet in 84!!!!

LoyalFan
11/8/2006, 01:54 PM
I call bunk, I don't believe the Stratford Inn was open as of yet in 84!!!!

May have been the '85 Homecoming...but it WAS there then, fer sher.
It's all a happy blur. But you might be right 'cause the year before we stayed at some place else, arranged by our hosts, that featured an entire wall of mirrors. Can't recall the name. No vids of that...sniff.

Honest Inj...er, Native American.

LF

Petro-Sooner
11/8/2006, 01:58 PM
We had the Nowata Possums. Was that independant? :D :rolleyes:

LoyalFan
11/8/2006, 02:02 PM
We had the Nowata Possums. Was that independant? :D :rolleyes:

I may be sorry I asked, but what is a Nowata Possum? (Are you in the right thread?LOL!)

LF

Petro-Sooner
11/8/2006, 02:08 PM
It was a lame *** family movie that was filmed in Nowata in 95 I think. I had already left for college so I thankfully didnt see it all happen. Its about a crappy HS football team named the Possums. Well its just crap. Had Switzer in it.

LoyalFan
11/8/2006, 02:11 PM
It was a lame *** family movie that was filmed in Nowata in 95 I think. I had already left for college so I thankfully didnt see it all happen. Its about a crappy HS football team named the Possums. Well its just crap. Had Switzer in it.

So, the opposing team ran through a banner that said "Eat More Possum!"?

LF

PeeYess: Did Barry happen to stay at the Nowata Stratford?

Petro-Sooner
11/8/2006, 02:14 PM
Not sure. Wasnt around when it was filmed. Surely not though. No one should have to stay in that town.

OUAndy1807
11/8/2006, 03:26 PM
I think it was 97, because the Pride recorded the fight song for it the year I was in.

sooneron
11/8/2006, 03:44 PM
I thought there were some good aspects to the film. I thought Mac was a little miscast. I knew the main dude - Greg K. He must have been 28 when it was filmed tho! Good idea, and not too bad for Max B's (knew him in school) first effort out of the gate. I also like the fact that it made it to premium pay cable. Nice to see little films at least do that.