PDA

View Full Version : Question about the future..

BIG_IKE
11/7/2006, 01:28 PM
:confused:

Is it because we don't have alot of seniors, or are we getting smoked in recruiting ????

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/conference?confId=4&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fconference%3fconfId%3d4

BIG_IKE
11/7/2006, 01:37 PM
I am still trying to figure out why we never recruit the Houston area much. Most of the Whorns are from Houston and the Central Texas area. It seems like OU prefers to recruit the Dallas area more. I know it's closer but man..there's a goldmine down her ein Houston we need to start tapping into.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/7/2006, 01:51 PM
Ike, we just don't have a lot of schollies to give this year because of the huge years we've had for the two years previous. I think we only have 'bout 15 to give.

But beyond that our trend in the Stoops years has been for the verbals to really start taking off around bowl season or just after. (Or during and after the Army All-Star game.) I wouldn't hit the panic button yet. We're in on some big names out there. And it's my opinion that those big names are going to hold off on announcing their commitments so they can continue to reap the full recruiting process "rewards" (... meaning simply the trips and having these big name coaches continue to fawn over them.) They are 17-18-19 year olds after all...

OUinFLA
11/7/2006, 01:52 PM
I thought you were gonna ask something important like: What will be the price of IBM in a year.
Assuming you were going to get the correct answer, I was planning on logging on to ETrade and getting rich.

Harry Beanbag
11/7/2006, 02:41 PM
I am still trying to figure out why we never recruit the Houston area much. Most of the Whorns are from Houston and the Central Texas area. It seems like OU prefers to recruit the Dallas area more. I know it's closer but man..there's a goldmine down her ein Houston we need to start tapping into.

Because we suck at recruiting Houston. There is a lot of OU influence in Dallas plus it's closer so that makes it home recruiting territory for us. The opposite is true for the Houston area. Houston is just about as difficult for OU to pull guys out of as Florida.

OSUAggie
11/7/2006, 03:04 PM
Because we suck at recruiting Houston. There is a lot of OU influence in Dallas plus it's closer so that makes it home recruiting territory for us. The opposite is true for the Houston area. Houston is just about as difficult for OU to pull guys out of as Florida.

What's the reason for the difficulties in Houston (other than the apparent lack of "OU influence")? OSU does pretty well in Houston, and usually pulls 1 or 2 decent to big names from there every year, so I would think OU would have an easier time than a program like OSU.

jwlynn64
11/7/2006, 03:23 PM
The way a football team is set up, they only have so many scholarships for freshmen, sophmores, juniors and seniors. If we had a big class of redshirts this year, it would reduce the amount we have to give next year. Since we only have 11 seniors on the team this year, we will only be going after positions that we are not deep.

Harry Beanbag
11/7/2006, 03:24 PM
What's the reason for the difficulties in Houston (other than the apparent lack of "OU influence")? OSU does pretty well in Houston, and usually pulls 1 or 2 decent to big names from there every year, so I would think OU would have an easier time than a program like OSU.

My guess would be OSU as a rule doesn't go after the same players that OU, UT, and A&M do. I think for the most part you tend to expend more effort in areas where you have a pretty good shot at being successful. Mack has Houston locked down. OSU can fight it out with Tech and Baylor for the leftovers. ;)

snp
11/7/2006, 03:27 PM
You did not post an ESPN link and say you're worried about recruiting...

The least credible of all the recruit websites, which is saying something.

caphorns
11/7/2006, 03:37 PM
Palestine is just outside of Houston. Not to mention Q and Tommy were from Houston. But the area where ya'll are weakest is in the Port Arthur/Beaumont Golden Triangle area. Kids would just as soon head to LSU or Florida if they are going out of state and live in that area. But some serious talent has been coming out of there.

I think Bob's recruited well in the state - except for this year. He still has a chance at guys like Dez Bryant (if he can qualify), Terrance Tolliver and Richetti Jones. And consider that he's at a huge disadvantage trying to recruit Texas kids away from a Texas team that just won a NC. It may take a few seasons for that tide to turn.

jwlynn64
11/7/2006, 03:44 PM
Palestine is much closer to Dallas than Houston (only about 1 1/2 east and a little south). Just saying... ;)

snp
11/7/2006, 03:48 PM
Palestine is just outside of Houston. Not to mention Q and Tommy were from Houston. But the area where ya'll are weakest is in the Port Arthur/Beaumont Golden Triangle area. Kids would just as soon head to LSU or Florida if they are going out of state and live in that area. But some serious talent has been coming out of there.

No, Palestein is just outside of Dallas.

Q was from Houston, but far from highly touted which is the case in point.

Tommie was from Killeen, which isn't near Houston as well.

jwlynn64
11/7/2006, 03:52 PM
Was Tommie's dad ex military? Sorry, this info is so old, I feel ashamed I've never really thought about it.

BIG_IKE
11/7/2006, 04:04 PM

I think Bob's recruited well in the state - except for this year. He still has a chance at guys like Dez Bryant (if he can qualify), Terrance Tolliver and Richetti Jones. And consider that he's at a huge disadvantage trying to recruit Texas kids away from a Texas team that just won a NC. It may take a few seasons for that tide to turn.

Whopah there buddy...

Palestine is NOT just outside of Houston. My grandmother lives there and it's 3+ hours from Houston. P-Town is much closer to Dallas.

BIG_IKE
11/7/2006, 04:06 PM
Tommie Harris played for Killeen Ellison. I know him and his dad.

FYI...Killeen is less than 2 hours from A&M, Baylor, and UT.
And again...Killeen is closer to Dallas than Houston.

CobraKai
11/7/2006, 04:37 PM
Switzer used to say you could win a national title with nothing but guys from Houston.

Harry Beanbag
11/7/2006, 04:44 PM
Switzer used to say you could win a national title with nothing but guys from Houston.

I remember that. That's why I've always wondered why Rice has never been a powerhouse.

;)

fwsooner22
11/7/2006, 04:51 PM

Did that just happen..........I guy who holds himself out as a horn......thinks Palestine is "just outside of Houston"........It's not anywhere near Houston.....in fact there are probably people in Palestine who have never heard of Houston.................Geez dude........I used to have some respect for ya...................that's really not good....................

Recruiting is something you worry about if you are a coach.....we will always get ours and they will always get theirs.........the difference is they will always think that ours should have been theirs and once theirs is theirs we couldn't care less...........therein lies the difference between sooners and horns.......

daMentor
11/7/2006, 04:53 PM
Ok... please tell me how okie lite, nebraska, and k-state all have more Texas recruits than we do?

Harry Beanbag
11/7/2006, 05:01 PM
Ok... please tell me how okie lite, nebraska, and k-state all have more Texas recruits than we do?

Other than Richetti Jones, none of those guys were recruited by OU, i.e. Bob Stoops didn't think they were good enough to play in Norman. And I wouldn't bet the house on Jones ending up in Stoolwater either.

OUfan7
11/7/2006, 07:47 PM

Quality over quanity!!!

Pepper
11/7/2006, 11:45 PM
Hasn't Texas already gotten 23 commits or so? By this point it seems like they are done recruiting. Any prospects still out there should be available if OU wants them.