PDA

View Full Version : **Offical Dallas Mavericks 06-07 Thread**

Pages : [1] 2

colleyvillesooner
11/7/2006, 12:16 PM
0-3 start, and now headed on the road with J-Ho out with a sprained ankle. :(

Scott D
11/7/2006, 12:26 PM
this just in....Avery Johnson just got another T for raising his arms when getting out of bed this morning while yawning....refs said it was too demonstrative.

mrowl
11/7/2006, 04:42 PM
0-5 is a real possibility.

hurricane'bone
11/7/2006, 11:13 PM
OH NO! wE SUCK AGAIN!

:(

BeetDigger
11/8/2006, 11:59 AM
this just in....Avery Johnson just got another T for raising his arms when getting out of bed this morning while yawning....refs said it was too demonstrative.

Spek.

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 12:01 PM
It's hard to ignore an angry midget.

Scott D
11/8/2006, 02:27 PM
This also just in, Dwayne Wade gets 2 free throws for tripping over the rug in his bathroom.....Johnson T'd up again for being in the country at the same time. Nowitski has now fouled out and is being deported to Germany.

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 02:43 PM
This just in, disgruntled Pistons fan seeking solace by buddying up with Mav fans. :D

Scott D
11/8/2006, 02:57 PM
Don't make me T you up like Timmy D for opening his eyes in the peripheral vision of a ref. :D

NormanPride
11/8/2006, 04:44 PM
The officiating in the NBA has jumped the shark.

GrapevineSooner
11/9/2006, 12:49 AM
This team sucks right now.

And I thought Shawn Bradley was stealing Mark Cuban's money.

Dampier has got to be the worst center in the league, bar none.

And irk Nowitzki doesn't look too terribly interested in playing any semblance of defense.

Bench all the starters for the Phoenix game, Avery. Bench em all until they f***ing figure out how to play smart but aggressive basketball.

:mad:

mrowl
11/9/2006, 10:02 AM
8 straight losses. Headed to 9.

sanantoniosooner
11/9/2006, 10:07 AM
Think Mark is happy he inked a deal with Avery?

colleyvillesooner
11/9/2006, 10:33 AM
Think Mark is happy he inked a deal with Avery?

Yes, dick. ;)

sanantoniosooner
11/9/2006, 10:37 AM
You guys will get it rolling.

You'll hit a win streak later that will balance it all out.

I root for Dallas and Avery most of the time.

NormanPride
11/9/2006, 11:09 AM
You guys will get it rolling.

You'll hit a win streak later that will balance it all out.

I root for Dallas and Avery most of the time.

Same here. As much as we consider you guys rivals, this is painful to watch. You guys are better than this; your players just need to stop being pansies and play with some freaking heart. It's like the Finals screwjob sucked all the want out of your guys. :(

GrapevineSooner
11/9/2006, 12:19 PM
Well, if that's the case, they should quit playing NBA ball right now.

They're professionals. They've encountered adversity before. And Avery's tried to build this team in a way to overcome adversity.

Either he's not doing a good enough job or the players aren't listening to Avery.

Scott D
11/9/2006, 06:00 PM
a team's record in the first two weeks of the season is overrated.

mrowl
11/9/2006, 07:18 PM
yes, but even the worst Mavs \ NBA \ Pro sports team ever, never went 0-4

sanantoniosooner
11/9/2006, 07:39 PM
It's called a hangover.

No Mavs team ever had to deal with it.;)

Scott D
11/9/2006, 07:54 PM

good thing they are playing a team that is probably as inept with a hangover as they are tonight.

colleyvillesooner
11/10/2006, 12:15 AM
Didn't the Mavericks start the season undefeated after 4 or 5 games back in the day with the 3 J's? How'd that turn out? We'll get this thing righted, i just hope it's tonight. :O

colleyvillesooner
11/10/2006, 01:24 AM
New whining rule is a joke.

Refs call Stoudamire for an offensive foul (screen) at the end of the game, the same one they've called against the Mavs tonight, and Stoudamire is complaining to the Ref and Dantoni is using every cuss word I know. No T.

Good win by the Mavs, especially WJH. (without Josh Howard. Dirk showed up big in this game.

Another thing about the Refs, I get so sick of the "star treatment". Dirk gets it alot. But late in the Game, Nash Drove hard and ran Harris over, no call. Harris gets back up and jumps for a missed shot, doesn't touch Marion, and gets called for the loose ball foul, and fouls out.

GrapevineSooner
11/10/2006, 02:08 AM
I think my stance on NBA officiating is well known around these parts.

So I'll just say, 'Nice win, Mavericks.' ;)

OK, I'll agree that the Whining Rule is becoming a joke. Especially when AJ got thrown out for much, much less complaining that D'Antoni was guilty of tonight.

Annnnnd, that before those two calls against Harris, Nash was whistled for a ridiculous offensive foul the other way.

colleyvillesooner
11/10/2006, 08:43 AM
Annnnnd, that before those two calls against Harris, Nash was whistled for a ridiculous offensive foul the other way.

Was that the one where he was ruled to have "moved into Terry's path" otherwise known as "cutting to the basket"? Have no fear though, they gave the worst make up call about 3 seconds after that headed the other way. So bad even the announcers called em out on it.

Fugue
11/10/2006, 10:58 AM
Was that the one where he was ruled to have "moved into Terry's path" otherwise known as "cutting to the basket"? Have no fear though, they gave the worst make up call about 3 seconds after that headed the other way. So bad even the announcers called em out on it.

The Mavs got so many calls last night it was like the refs had been paid off.

discuss

:pop:

NormanPride
11/10/2006, 11:18 AM
Officiating in the NBA is a bigger setup than Pro Wrestling.

discuss

:pop:

BeetDigger
11/10/2006, 11:32 AM
The whineing rule is a joke. They are harsh on some, leineint on others. I've watched games where players did the "what?" and nothing. I've seen other players get T'd over it. It's just another way to manipulate the games.

I've been saying that NBA = Pro Wrestling for years (starting when Ewing magically ended up in NY). Jordan never fouled anyone, got defensive player honors and all, but when guys did the same thing to him, it was whistled.

Look, there have been only seven teams (or eight, I can't remember) that have won championships in the NBA since Regan was elected President. The NFL has had like 16 or 17 different champions, MLB has had 14 or so. Just watch the movie Quiz Show if you want to know how the NBA is run.

sanantoniosooner
11/10/2006, 12:43 PM
Look, there have been only seven teams (or eight, I can't remember) that have won championships in the NBA since Regan was elected President. The NFL has had like 16 or 17 different champions, MLB has had 14 or so. Just watch the movie Quiz Show if you want to know how the NBA is run.
Are you suggesting that the Spurs have won championships because the NBA shows them favoritism?

mrowl
11/10/2006, 12:56 PM
Are you suggesting that the Spurs have won championships because the NBA shows them favoritism?

maybe because their owner plays golf with Stern? :texan:

sanantoniosooner
11/10/2006, 01:06 PM
maybe because their owner plays golf with Stern? :texan:
Give me a break. The Spurs are a horrible team for the NBA to have in the finals because of their less than flashy style and smaller market.

Stern buddies to a lot of coaches, players, owners. It's not anyone else's fault that Cuban is a drama queen and excludes himself from a decent working relationship with the head of the league.

BeetDigger
11/10/2006, 02:19 PM

I am not trying to imply that. I don't mean to go too far over the top with this vast conspiracy. However, I don't think that there is any doubt that there is favoritism shown certain players in terms of fouls (I used the Jordan example earlier - I have yet to meet anyone who disputes that Jordan got calls that other players didn't).

Furthermore, I think that there is a heavy hand in where players end up. It was sort of a miracle that Orlando won the lottery two times in a row, all at a time that they were building the NBA presence in Florida. Moreover, how fortunate that Shaq went to LA, after the NBA had lost showtime. And it was a stroke of great luck that LeBron ended up in Cleveland, after growing up in Cleveland.

Lastly, my comment on the disparity of teams that have won championships goes to the point that the NBA is the worst game in terms of parity. In my view, the NBA is more about entertainment than competition. How much are courtside tix? How much are the lower level tix? I feel that the NBA is priced for business owners, not for fans. Entertainment is not about winning the championship. Sports is about winning the championship. 8 winners in the past 26 years makes me think that it is more about entertainment.

sanantoniosooner
11/10/2006, 02:32 PM
my comment on the disparity of teams that have won championships goes to the point that the NBA is the worst game in terms of parity. In my view, the NBA is more about entertainment than competition. How much are courtside tix? How much are the lower level tix? I feel that the NBA is priced for business owners, not for fans. Entertainment is not about winning the championship. Sports is about winning the championship. 8 winners in the past 26 years makes me think that it is more about entertainment.
Winning Championships has more to do with the owner than the league. Sacramento sucked until they had owners that would spend money. Dallas sucked until they had an owner that would spend money. The Clippers have decided to open the purse a little and they are a playoff team now.

A lot of owners are content to have more money and less success. Any team with that type of owner will continue to get high draft picks and lose the player to free agency at the first opportunity.

BeetDigger
11/10/2006, 03:20 PM
Winning Championships has more to do with the owner than the league. Sacramento sucked until they had owners that would spend money. Dallas sucked until they had an owner that would spend money. The Clippers have decided to open the purse a little and they are a playoff team now.

A lot of owners are content to have more money and less success. Any team with that type of owner will continue to get high draft picks and lose the player to free agency at the first opportunity.

To some degree, that is true. But not throughout the league. Harrrrumpf - THE KNICKS - /harrrumpf

sanantoniosooner
11/10/2006, 03:22 PM
To some degree, that is true. But not throughout the league. Harrrrumpf - THE KNICKS - /harrrumpf
spending money does not cancel out poor management.

I don't care how much you spend, you can still play the stupidity card and flush it all.

mrowl
11/10/2006, 04:02 PM
Give me a break. The Spurs are a horrible team for the NBA to have in the finals because of their less than flashy style and smaller market.

Stern buddies to a lot of coaches, players, owners. It's not anyone else's fault that Cuban is a drama queen and excludes himself from a decent working relationship with the head of the league.

I think I was kidding...

sanantoniosooner
11/10/2006, 04:04 PM
I think I was kidding...
Well get back to me when you figure it out.

BeetDigger
11/10/2006, 04:33 PM
spending money does not cancel out poor management.

I don't care how much you spend, you can still play the stupidity card and flush it all.

But your examples of bad ownership all involved owners not spending money.

sanantoniosooner
11/10/2006, 04:40 PM
But your examples of bad ownership all involved owners not spending money.
You must spend money to get good.

Spending money doesn't guarantee that you will be good.

A horse has four 4 legs.

Just because you have 4 legs doesn't make you a horse.

A skank will have crotchless panties.

Just because you have crotchless panties doesn't make you a skank........I think.

BeetDigger
11/11/2006, 11:50 AM
You must spend money to get good.

Spending money doesn't guarantee that you will be good.

A horse has four 4 legs.

Just because you have 4 legs doesn't make you a horse.

A skank will have crotchless panties.

Just because you have crotchless panties doesn't make you a skank........I think.

No, I understand all that. It's just that in your example above, every bad team got better because their owner spent money.

But getting better and becoming championship worthy are two different things. The NBA has crowned only 8 teams as champions in 26 years. At worst that means that Stern is manipulating things for just a few teams. At best it means that the NBA is not a very good game compared to the other pro sports. I still stand by my assessment that the NBA is mostly about entertainment and very little about competition.

sanantoniosooner
11/11/2006, 12:47 PM
Holy crap. I just typed the longest reply I've ever made on this forum and accidentally wiped it out. Laptops = the debbil sometimes

Cliffs notes version

Organizations that create an atmosphere of winning from the top to the bottom determine who wins championships, not the NBA commish.

Most players and owners are about the $. Some teams get past this and they become the previously mentioned group.

NFL>>>NBA>>>MLB>>>NHL

MLB salaries out of control. No parity. Yankess should be ashamed.

NHL = Hockey

NFL = King

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 05:28 PM
There are a lot of NBA conspiracists out there with more time than I have. One area of study for them is the number of back to back games that teams have to play. There is stat on the second night of back to back games. Something like teams lose 60% of the time (not sure about the exact % but it is fairly high).

In looking at the western conference, here is the breakdown of the number of back to back games for some of the top teams:

Dallas - 15
LAL - 16
SA - 18
Minn - 18
Pho - 18
LAC -19
Den - 21

I don't know why there is a disparity of up to 6 games. It could be scheduling conflicts. It also can be a subtle form of influence in results. In a league where the obvious schedule factors are kept as neutral as possible, it is fairly odd that there is even a three game differential, much less a six game, differential when looking at one of the less obvious factors. Oh, and FWIW, Vegas factors all of this in. The odds all account for this.

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2006, 05:39 PM
I can guarantee you that a lot of those are due to conflicts.

The Spurs have the "Rodeo Roadtrip". When the rodeo is in town, the Spurs go on a long stretch of road games which calls for sever back to back games.

I would expect that it's true of other teams also.

Believe me. The Spurs talk about B2B games a lot. But nobody talks conspiracy about it.

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 06:25 PM
Road trips are not the same as back to back games. The NBA makes sure that each team gets 41 at home and 41 on the road.

The number of back to back games is not equitable. To me, that is wrong. Heck, why not just give some teams 43 home games while they are at it?

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2006, 06:28 PM
Road trips are not the same as back to back games. The NBA makes sure that each team gets 41 at home and 41 on the road.

The number of back to back games is not equitable. To me, that is wrong. Heck, why not just give some teams 43 home games while they are at it?
Road trips lend themselves to B2B games. That's the way it works. Either the Spurs are taking a swing up north and hit several teams in the area, or some other team hits an area like Texas and plays 2 of the 3 Texas teams.

In case you don't pay attention, the Texas Roadtrip is considered to be rough on visiting teams.

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 06:43 PM
Road trips lend themselves to B2B games. That's the way it works. Either the Spurs are taking a swing up north and hit several teams in the area, or some other team hits an area like Texas and plays 2 of the 3 Texas teams.

In case you don't pay attention, the Texas Roadtrip is considered to be rough on visiting teams.

Ok, I don't know why you are arguing. I posted factual numbers. There is a disparity. B2B games have a proven W/L %. Therefore, unfair advantage/disadvantage.

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2006, 06:48 PM
Ok, I don't know why you are arguing. I posted factual numbers. There is a disparity. B2B games have a proven W/L %. Therefore, unfair advantage/disadvantage.
yeah, but the existence of B2B games is a necessary evil and teams just have to cope with it. It hurts older teams more than younger teams.

Crap, it's already the longest season of any pro sport. If you eliminate B2B games, they'll have to play year around.

I buy frozen lottery balls more than I do a B2B scheduling conspiracy.

yeah, have fun with that last line.

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 07:22 PM
yeah, but the existence of B2B games is a necessary evil and teams just have to cope with it. It hurts older teams more than younger teams.

Crap, it's already the longest season of any pro sport. If you eliminate B2B games, they'll have to play year around.

I buy frozen lottery balls more than I do a B2B scheduling conspiracy.

yeah, have fun with that last line.

I am saying that make the number the same (or at least the differential no more than one or two), not eliminate them.

Scott D
11/13/2006, 07:24 PM
There are a lot of NBA conspiracists out there with more time than I have. One area of study for them is the number of back to back games that teams have to play. There is stat on the second night of back to back games. Something like teams lose 60% of the time (not sure about the exact % but it is fairly high).

In looking at the western conference, here is the breakdown of the number of back to back games for some of the top teams:

Dallas - 15
LAL - 16
SA - 18
Minn - 18
Pho - 18
LAC -19
Den - 21

I don't know why there is a disparity of up to 6 games. It could be scheduling conflicts. It also can be a subtle form of influence in results. In a league where the obvious schedule factors are kept as neutral as possible, it is fairly odd that there is even a three game differential, much less a six game, differential when looking at one of the less obvious factors. Oh, and FWIW, Vegas factors all of this in. The odds all account for this.

I think the league average for back to back games this year is roughly 20. I know for a fact that Detroit plays back to back 22 times this season. NBA has begun to jump the shark so badly that even Quint is laughing.

hurricane'bone
11/14/2006, 09:59 PM
Heh.

http://www.mavgear.com/images/products/PAAAAAOOLEBDMIEE.jpg

GrapevineSooner
11/14/2006, 10:45 PM
I have a feeling if some of the Mavs made their true feelings about the officiating in tonight's game public, they'd get fined.

hurricane'bone
11/14/2006, 10:54 PM
I really need to order NBA League Pass...

colleyvillesooner
11/15/2006, 10:32 AM
I have a feeling if some of the Mavs made their true feelings about the officiating in tonight's game public, they'd get fined.

The technical called on Dirk at the end of the game was the league saying, "Hey, we better start T'ing up some of the superstars too."

He never even looked at the ref, and expelled his emotions walking away with his back to the ref.

GrapevineSooner
11/15/2006, 12:34 PM
Unbelievable.

Dirk got hit in the face, twice, during the game.

First, towards the end of the first half when an inadvertent swipe hit him in the face right in front of a ref and it went uncalled.

Then Ben Wallace leans into Dirk while setting a screen (keep in mind, you can't initiate contact by leaning in, turning your body, etc.), there's no call.

Then Jerry Stackhouse drives to the bucket, a Bulls player grabs Stack's shoulders and pulls him down making absolutely no attempt to go for the ball. And it's only called a regular foul.

Oh well. Glad they got the win. I just fail to see how on three no-brainer situations like those above, the refs still botched the calls.

colleyvillesooner
12/4/2006, 08:34 PM
Well, this is one way to end a 12 game winning streak. Mav's down 31 in the 3rd quarter.

colleyvillesooner
12/4/2006, 09:09 PM
Mavs showing heart cutting it to 11 with 3:00 mins left. Probably too little too late.

colleyvillesooner
12/4/2006, 09:10 PM
Terry hits a 3 to make it an 8 point game with 2:30 left. HOLY CRAP!!!

**** you 60 second flood control.

colleyvillesooner
12/4/2006, 09:18 PM
104-97 with 43.5 left.

I loved the effort by this team. Glad they didn't roll over.

jk the sooner fan
12/4/2006, 10:23 PM
you had to know this game was coming.....they'll start a new streak tomorrow nite in jersey

GrapevineSooner
12/6/2006, 03:41 PM
Avery said last night that the bus ride from the Phone Booth to the hotel was quiet. Said it was a good sign because it shows they don't take losing that well.

colleyvillesooner
12/6/2006, 03:48 PM
Avery said last night that the bus ride from the Phone Booth to the hotel was quiet. Said it was a good sign because it shows they don't take losing that well.

Or they were all just listening to music on their headphones. ;)

Beef
12/6/2006, 03:55 PM
Or they were all just listening to music on their headphones. ;)
David Stern hasn't banned that yet?

GrapevineSooner
12/9/2006, 10:33 AM
Stern actually admitted 'hey, one of my dictatorial moves wasn't exactly a good idea. Perhaps we should have gotten the players opinion on this new ball before changing it.'

sanantoniosooner
12/9/2006, 10:39 AM
We'll wait until after football season for me to get on the mav fan nerves :D

BeetDigger
12/9/2006, 04:40 PM

In the mean time, you'll just be on everyone elses. :texan:

GrapevineSooner
12/10/2006, 02:32 AM

I won't let you this year. :D

sanantoniosooner
12/10/2006, 11:30 AM
I won't let you this year. :D
Good.

Maybe a little friendly teasing will be accepted the way it was intended this go around.

BeetDigger
12/10/2006, 12:19 PM
Good.

Maybe a little friendly whining will be accepted the way it was intended this go around.

Sincerely,

Tim Duncan

:D

sanantoniosooner
12/10/2006, 01:41 PM
He who is without glass Dirks, cast the first stone.

colleyvillesooner
12/11/2006, 09:39 AM
Dirk's got a long way to go to even hold a candle to his Whiny-ness. :D

sanantoniosooner
12/11/2006, 09:59 AM
Mark Cuban is the new bar.

colleyvillesooner
12/11/2006, 10:05 AM
Mark Cuban is the new bar.

I believe he has been quiet so far this year.

Just curious, how many other teams got warnings for standing in front of their bench? The Mavs do this and we told by the league not to.

sanantoniosooner
12/11/2006, 10:14 AM
I believe he has been quiet so far this year.

Just curious, how many other teams got warnings for standing in front of their bench? The Mavs do this and we told by the league not to.
I couldn't tell you. You've got to expect it though. It's no different than the Tim thing. Once it's a topic, it gets scrutinized far more than it normally would.

Cuban begs to get the Mavs special attention from the refs. Just like the Raiders lead the league in penalties:1, because they are undisciplined, and 2, because of their reputation which puts them at a disadvantage with the refs in the first place. I'm really only comparing the second part to the Mavs.

GrapevineSooner
12/12/2006, 11:26 AM
He's been quiet because he's taking a full load at David Stern University. ;)

Seriously, Dirk said during the offseason that Cuban ought to watch more games from his suite at the AAC. I don't think that's a bad idea, at all.

Not to suggest, refs would ever intentionally do this, but ff the Mavs have been the victims of bad calls late in games, I cannot deny that Cuban may be part of the reason.

BeetDigger
12/13/2006, 12:36 AM
He's been quiet because he's taking a full load from David Stern. ;)

That's disgusting.

:texan:

colleyvillesooner
12/27/2006, 12:15 PM
Mavs putting together another nice winning streak, now with the best record in the league. I think we'll get a new look at where this team is on Thursday when the Suns come to town. You have to win these games at home.

Howard is really developing into a star.

GrapevineSooner
12/28/2006, 10:25 AM
Right alongside Dirk Burgundy.

colleyvillesooner
12/28/2006, 10:26 AM
Where did that come from!

Edit: Found it. Greatness.

GrapevineSooner
12/28/2006, 11:34 AM
The greatness of Ben and Skin.

colleyvillesooner
12/29/2006, 08:56 AM
Awesome game. Dallas blew a lead, and then Pahonix blew the lead right back.

Can't remember the last time Dirk made a game winner like that, but it was a spectacular game.

NormanPride
1/3/2007, 12:06 PM
I hate that we're in the same division. Or at least make the playoff seeding not suck.

jk the sooner fan
1/3/2007, 12:08 PM
i love that we're 2 games up on san antonio, with a head to head game coming up! wooot

go Mavs, they are playing REALLY good right now

NormanPride
1/3/2007, 12:11 PM
heh, I love pre-all star game smack

jk the sooner fan
1/3/2007, 12:17 PM
hey, the rivalry between dallas and the spurs is getting bigger every year

NormanPride
1/3/2007, 12:59 PM
Oh no doubt, and I love it. You don't see pro sports rivalries like this very often. I just think getting all excited about a team before the all-star break is like getting all excited for a MLB team before the all-star break. Just MHO. :)

jk the sooner fan
1/3/2007, 01:01 PM
well, football season is over for me.....so i have to direct my angst somewhere

GrapevineSooner
1/5/2007, 10:35 PM
Dear NBA,

Would it be possible to cancel the rest of the season and just start the NBA Finals next week between the Mavericks and the Spurs?

And yes, I realize they're in the same conference and same division.

Still, everytime these two teams get together, they stage ultra-competitive games.

P.S. In all seriousness...

Huge win by the Mavs tonight. They really put the defensive clamps on and hammered the boards (especially Dirk) in the second half.

GrapevineSooner
1/5/2007, 10:39 PM
Also, I'm sure some Spurs fans will wonder why Oberto only got 20 minutes of play despite going 7 for 7 from the field in the first half. What with San Antonio's offensive woes in the second half, you'd figure Pop would have at least given him some substantial minutes to try and jumpstart the offense.

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2007, 10:41 PM
what a GREAT game

GO MAVS!

I really like the way Devean George is contributing this last month

RacerX
1/5/2007, 11:07 PM
That was a great game!

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2007, 12:33 AM
Awesome win for the Mavs. bring on Kobe!

sanantoniosooner
1/6/2007, 11:44 AM
Also, I'm sure some Spurs fans will wonder why Oberto only got 20 minutes of play despite going 7 for 7 from the field in the first half. What with San Antonio's offensive woes in the second half, you'd figure Pop would have at least given him some substantial minutes to try and jumpstart the offense.
The entire season is an experiment for Pop.

That was what was weird about last season. Usually he tinkers with all kinds of lineups throughout the season and finds what he likes for the playoffs. Last playoff he played lineups he hadn't played all season.

The Mavs series might be a little different, but I usually haven't made much out of the season series with teams where the Spurs are concerned. They've been on the short end of series with many teams they met in the playoffs and took care of business.

colleyvillesooner
1/8/2007, 12:28 AM
All good things come to an end. Too bad it was on a bull**** no call on Terry's potential game tying layup. He was fouled by two different guys and goes down hard. No call.

NBA officials are the worst.

Time to start another winning streak.

GrapevineSooner
1/8/2007, 01:02 AM
Well, they did surrender 33 points in the fourth tonight. I'm guessing they didn't give up that many points in the fourth period of any game during the winning streak.

Not to mention, the Lakers shot 55% from the field and one of their spares had a career night tonight.

colleyvillesooner
1/8/2007, 12:34 PM
Agreed, but a foul is a foul. Especially one that obvious.

GrapevineSooner
1/10/2007, 10:41 AM
Didn't see the game last night. But it's clear that Stack isn't a fan of Jerry Sloan's style of basketball.

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2007, 10:43 AM
i watched it, i thought for sure the refs were doing their damndest to make sure the Jazz won that game last nite.....it was a gritty win in spite of some of the calls

that second flagrant on Stack was pure BS

colleyvillesooner
1/10/2007, 10:57 AM
Great win.

GrapevineSooner
1/10/2007, 07:16 PM
Just saw the second flagrant foul call on Stack.

Let's just say that if Stu Jackson really has a set, he'll rescind that.

Not that he will because he's already proven he has no balls.

What an absolute joke of a call. As much of a joke of a call as the foul call that sent Wade to the line at the end of Game 5.

colleyvillesooner
1/10/2007, 07:36 PM
What an absolute joke of a call. As much of a joke of a call as the foul call that sent Wade to the line at the end of Game 5.

Whoa whoa whoa. That's just cray talk. :D

Scott D
1/10/2007, 10:02 PM
Just saw the second flagrant foul call on Stack.

Let's just say that if Stu Jackson really has a set, he'll rescind that.

Not that he will because he's already proven he has no balls.

oh come on now....Wade is untouchable, per the orders of David Stern.

hookem31
1/11/2007, 03:04 AM
oh come on now....Wade is untouchable, per the orders of David Stern.

Proof positive....

http://www.withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=1889

colleyvillesooner
1/11/2007, 08:40 AM
Proof positive....

http://www.withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=1889

I mean, sure, the refs called a foul. But that was ****ing flagrant. LaMarcus Aldridge should have gotten a T for that.

HEH

GrapevineSooner
1/11/2007, 10:00 AM
He should have been thrown out and suspended for the next 20 games.

How dare he foul Dwyane Wade THAT hard. ;)

NormanPride
1/12/2007, 11:50 AM
I've never seen a foul suck-fest as big as the one surrounding Wade. The finals last year was stolen from you guys because of him, and it just keeps going. There's no way to get any press on it, because nobody wants to tarnish his money-making image. Stern won't do **** because it makes him money. Fans will complain, the league will continue to spiral downward in favor of star-ball.

I watched a game between the Spurs and Nuggets, and Duncan got a foul call on a pretty clean block. He Chaimberlanned both freethrows and then Iverson got a foul call on the other end when nobody touched him. It traded back and forth like that for a couple possessions until Denver was back within 4 and the game resumed.

Sometimes I really hate the NBA.

Beef
1/12/2007, 10:09 PM
Speaking of fouls....nice win by the Mavs.

hookem31
1/12/2007, 10:45 PM
They're almost getting boring to watch.

"Oh, another win..." :rolleyes:

Playoffs can't get here fast enough.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 10:50 PM
if Dirk isnt getting serious consideration for the MVP this year, then i dont know how much more he can do for a team to win it

colleyvillesooner
1/14/2007, 12:10 AM
Speaking of Wade:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270113026

Wade made 21 of 23 free throws

GrapevineSooner
1/14/2007, 12:35 AM
During the run, the Heat got a scare with about 8 minutes left when Wade took a shoulder to the face from Harpring as he was going back to play defense. Wade dropped to the floor and stayed there for a few minutes as the Heat called time.

Harpring will probably get suspended 10 games for this trangression. ;)

Seriously, 23 free throws for Wade sounds like a lot.

But it was still 31 less than the Jazz shot as a team tonight.

GrapevineSooner
1/14/2007, 03:36 PM
Mavs only lead for about 15 seconds today.

But they lead the last 0.9 seconds of the game. Which means it's another close win on the road.

jk the sooner fan
1/14/2007, 03:39 PM
holee crap

you know, they never play well with the noon starts.....they got lucky today

colleyvillesooner
1/14/2007, 05:01 PM
I only watched 9 seconds of this game, and it was a beautiful 9 secs.

Mavs continue to tough it out on the road. This may be the most complete Mavs team ever. George is gonna pay dividends in the locker room and the court in the playoffs. And Dirk and Stack aren't even 100% yet.

And yes, JK, we NEVER look good with the 12:00 start.

jk the sooner fan
1/16/2007, 11:10 PM
another big win over the rockets.....that team scares me when its T-Mac and Yao together...

Dirk for MVP......he has elevated his game from last year

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2007, 12:00 AM
Dirk is playing great. Really knows when to take the game over.

This team is GOOD.

GrapevineSooner
1/17/2007, 12:29 AM
Can it be May or June, yet?

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2007, 12:19 PM
Can it be May or June, yet?

No kidding.

GrapevineSooner
1/17/2007, 01:01 PM
Damn, I was quite the knee-jerker earlier in the year. :D :O

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2007, 01:16 PM
Damn, I was quite the knee-jerker earlier in the year. :D :O

What?

This team sucks right now.

And I thought Shawn Bradley was stealing Mark Cuban's money.

Dampier has got to be the worst center in the league, bar none.

And irk Nowitzki doesn't look too terribly interested in playing any semblance of defense.

Bench all the starters for the Phoenix game, Avery. Bench em all until they f***ing figure out how to play smart but aggressive basketball.

:mad:

Nah.

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2007, 10:36 PM
go lakers, put those spurs down 5 games.....

hurricane'bone
1/18/2007, 01:43 AM
Just a little thought...if the playoffs were to begin today, The number one seed in the eastern conference would be the seventh seed in the west.

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2007, 07:56 AM
thats crazy......the team that wins the western conference is going to have to go thru a meatgrinder to do it

as good a team that Dallas is.....Phoenix is playing scary good right now

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2007, 09:12 AM
need we mention the thrashing of that the Glorious Mavericks laid on the late show last nite?

woot!

colleyvillesooner
1/19/2007, 10:09 AM
I will, now that I'm able to. ;)

It was awesome. We should've never pulled the startes. :D

jk the sooner fan
1/20/2007, 08:31 AM
oh great, a noon kickoff against the Heat in Miami tomorrow.......we dont do well playing that time of the day

GrapevineSooner
1/20/2007, 12:10 PM
We'll still beat them by 20.

They've had this game circled on their calendars since the schedule came out.

colleyvillesooner
1/21/2007, 11:42 PM
Glad to see we didn't **** away the lead and lose.

Stack was a beast in the 4th and was really took advantage of a hobbled Wade on D. Wade wasn't slowed on O though. dude gets some calls, but is pretty salty.

GrapevineSooner
1/21/2007, 11:48 PM
hobbled Wade on D.

I wish he'd quit this act of heroic superstar playing injured when he really isn't.

Dude, you were faking last June, and you were faking today.

colleyvillesooner
1/22/2007, 09:57 AM
The non-criticism of Wade by the national announcers was amazing. It was wierd how he was able to run the court full speed on a breakaway, but after he got burnt by Stack, he limped back down the court. The other instance was where he played good D, but Stack scored because nobody played help defense for him. :rolleyes:

Or my favorite, after Stack juked him out of his shorts and Wades only option was to fall and try to draw the Offensive foul. He gets up, and as he heads down the court, turns around and motions to the mop kid that there is a slick spot right there. What. Ever.

colleyvillesooner
1/22/2007, 10:22 AM
Get ready to vomit:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/9945855

My trainer said that he was actually shocked that I was able to continue to go," Wade said following his 31-point performance, one in which he played all but the 3:37 he was hurt. "He (Ron Culp) told me to call it off a couple of times but it was a big game and I just wanted to be out there for my teammates."

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2007, 08:44 PM
Mavs are demolishing the Magic by 20. Dirk is abusing Howard on offense to the tune of 24 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists...halfway through the 3rd.

Howard has 21 pts, 3 reb, 2 assists, and a steal. If he is not an All-Star, I'm gonna be supa ****ed.

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2007, 09:01 PM
I'm a jinx. Mavs by ten heading to the 4th. I forgot that the Magic usually play the Mavs pretty tight.

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2007, 09:25 PM
Jinx off.

Mavs up 16 with 2:00 mins left.

Beef
1/24/2007, 11:03 AM
This team is scary good. And I don't see Avery letting them get bored or complacent like the Pistons did last year.

jk the sooner fan
1/24/2007, 11:10 AM
i loved that 20 second time out he took last nite with 5 seconds on the shot clock, just to practice running a "last second play"

brilliant.......JET drains the threeeeeeeeeeeeeee

BeetDigger
1/24/2007, 11:18 AM
The non-criticism of Wade by the national announcers was amazing. It was wierd how he was able to run the court full speed on a breakaway, but after he got burnt by Stack, he limped back down the court. The other instance was where he played good D, but Stack scored because nobody played help defense for him. :rolleyes:

Or my favorite, after Stack juked him out of his shorts and Wades only option was to fall and try to draw the Offensive foul. He gets up, and as he heads down the court, turns around and motions to the mop kid that there is a slick spot right there. What. Ever.

Stern and the NBA are thrilled that Wade won the title (cynicism would say that the NBA "helped" the cause). He has become the poster child for the NBA's marketing efforts this year. I just don't think that the NBA is ready for a German to be in that role.

Stern isn't as heavy handed as Vince McMahan, but don't think that he isn't orchestrating a lot of what goes on in the NBA, with an eye toward the NBA marketing contracts.

Beef
1/24/2007, 11:23 AM
I know the NBA will always be a superstar driven league, but it would be nice if they would market the teams instead of the players more. I guess marketing the players is the only way they can justify showing any Eastern conference teams right now.

BeetDigger
1/24/2007, 11:47 AM
I know the NBA will always be a superstar driven league, but it would be nice if they would market the teams instead of the players more. I guess marketing the players is the only way they can justify showing any Eastern conference teams right now.

I think that the NBA leaves the marketing of the teams up to the teams themselves. I assume they don't want to help any team more than any other team.

Beef
1/25/2007, 10:30 AM
Should be a good game tonight. I'm glad it's not the late TNT game since those never seem to tip off before 9:45.

colleyvillesooner
1/25/2007, 10:08 PM
Man, Mavs have played like crapola and are only down 4 with 5:43 to go.

They are shooting 29% from the field and Howard is 3-18 and was 0-10 to start. :eek:

colleyvillesooner
1/25/2007, 10:24 PM
Oh well. The big men played god tonight against Wallace. Can't win em all, especially when you shoot like that.

Dirk is amazing. He knows when he doesn't have his shot and starts driving the hoop to get to the line to help his team and fight through his shooting slump. 28 pts going 12-13 from the line.

Beef
1/26/2007, 10:40 AM
Brutal game to watch. I wish I could give all the credit to Chicago for some great D, but the Mavs just missed an awful lot of wide open shots along with some good D. Oh well. Sacramento should get them out of this mini-shooting slump.

colleyvillesooner
2/1/2007, 10:21 PM
3 Suns and 1 Mav on the All-Star roster.

Who's the West coach again? Oh yeah, Dantoni. :rolleyes:

Stern better pick Howard as Boozer's replacement. No way he picks Melo.

BeetDigger
2/1/2007, 10:25 PM
3 Suns and 1 Mav on the All-Star roster.

Who's the West coach again? Oh yeah, Dantoni. :rolleyes:

Stern better pick Howard as Boozer's replacement. No way he picks Melo.

Why no way?

colleyvillesooner
2/1/2007, 10:38 PM
Why no way?

I just don't think he wants to be the guy that selects him to an All-Star team after he suspended him for 15 games. Safer pick is Howard.

But, he does hate Cuban. :D

BeetDigger
2/1/2007, 11:42 PM
I just don't think he wants to be the guy that selects him to an All-Star team after he suspended him for 15 games. Safer pick is Howard.

But, he does hate Cuban. :D

Stern has stated (that may or may not mean anything) that Melo's suspension will not play into his selection process. Rest assured that nothing goes on in the NBA that McMahon, I mean Stern, doesn't approve of.

GrapevineSooner
2/2/2007, 12:29 AM
In a strange way, I'm hoping he snubs Howard.

Just gives us more motivation for the rest of the season.

colleyvillesooner
2/2/2007, 08:44 AM
he won't. I forgot about Yao being out. They'll just add them both and everybody wins.

jk the sooner fan
2/2/2007, 09:05 AM
i was really conflicted over who i wanted to win the spurs/suns game last nite....it would be nice to see the suns lose a game, but having the spurs 6.5 games back is nice too

7 games when we beat the t-wolves saturday nite :)

colleyvillesooner
2/2/2007, 09:56 AM
he won't. I forgot about Yao being out. They'll just add them both and everybody wins.

Although, which is a better ratings ploy? Howard or a Ray Allen? Howard may get snubbed again.

GrapevineSooner
2/2/2007, 01:19 PM
Howard will get it.

It would be ridiculous for the team with the best record in the NBA to only get one All-Star in.

GrapevineSooner
2/2/2007, 01:21 PM
i was really conflicted over who i wanted to win the spurs/suns game last nite....it would be nice to see the suns lose a game, but having the spurs 6.5 games back is nice too

7 games when we beat the t-wolves saturday nite :)

At the rate the Spurs are going, the Rockets could surpass them for the title of 'second best team in Texas' in short order.

sanantoniosooner
2/3/2007, 10:09 AM
Cockiness from the Mav fans.

Excellent.

GrapevineSooner
2/3/2007, 10:35 AM
Not being cocky at all.

Just a general observation comparing the Spurs from last year to the Spurs from this year. You know, the one that went 3-1 at home last year but dropped all four home games against their Texas brethern this year?

There's still time to right the ship and it wouldn't surprise me if they did. But right now, even you'd have to agree they're not playing anywhere near the level a team needs to be at to compete for a championship.

sanantoniosooner
2/3/2007, 10:47 AM
Spurs are playing like crap and are still in the mix.

I said at the beginning of the season that the Mavs would right the ship and I was more positive than a lot of Mav fans.

The Spurs with right the ship.

BeetDigger
2/3/2007, 12:20 PM
Spurs are playing like crap and are still in the mix.

I said at the beginning of the season that the Mavs would right the ship and I was more positive than a lot of Mav fans.

The Spurs with right the ship.

Hey, take this ship talk over to the sailing thread. :texan:

colleyvillesooner
2/3/2007, 11:53 PM
Another good win tonight. Good to see this team winning the close ones. Seem to be having a little trouble putting the dagger in people lately though.

GrapevineSooner
2/4/2007, 01:01 AM
Another good win tonight. Good to see this team winning the close ones. Seem to be having a little trouble putting the dagger in people lately though.

I'd just as soon they put teams away when they have them down by 15.

Sooner or later, that'll catch up to them.

colleyvillesooner
2/5/2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah, but it's a weird time right now before the All-Star break. If we are up by more than 12, it seems Dirk's and some other starters rests are longer.

Beef
2/8/2007, 11:38 AM
This team is scary good. And I don't see Avery letting them get bored or complacent like the Pistons did last year.
Maybe I spoke too soon. They have been letting some pretty big leads disappear lately. At least they're still winning.

Scott D
2/8/2007, 01:52 PM
Maybe I spoke too soon. They have been letting some pretty big leads disappear lately. At least they're still winning.

psst...Pistons have been bored this year too ;)

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2007, 02:41 PM

Yeah, but last night, they just turned it back on. They went cold in the 3rd. That happens. Wasn't complacency to me. Lead went from 7 to 24 in exactly 6 mins.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2007, 02:44 PM
the really good teams keep winning in spite of "being bored", or going into slumps

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2007, 02:47 PM
I like this team. I like it's resolve.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2007, 02:48 PM
i'll take this team anywhere and play any suckers

NormanPride
2/8/2007, 05:02 PM
:les: CUBAN PAYS HIS PLAYERS!!

Oh, wait... you can do that in the NBA. :O

GrapevineSooner
2/8/2007, 06:02 PM
I really like the fight in this team.

Last June was not the result we wanted, BTW.

Scott D
2/8/2007, 07:25 PM
the really good teams keep winning in spite of "being bored", or going into slumps

the really bad teams....well, we call them the Boston Celtics ;)

GrapevineSooner
2/9/2007, 12:42 PM
Somewhere, there's a disgruntled Celtics and Bruins fan counting the days to the start of Red Sox spring training.

Kinda sad when you think about it. ;)

Scott D
2/9/2007, 03:35 PM
Somewhere, there's a disgruntled Celtics and Bruins fan counting the days to the start of Red Sox spring training.

Kinda sad when you think about it. ;)

If it wasn't for the Patriots, Boston would remind me of the Atlanta of the early 80s...you watched the Braves waiting for the Falcons season to start, you watched the Falcons waiting for the Hawks season to start, and you watched the Hawks waiting for the Braves season to start. Nobody watched the Flames, and that's why they moved to Calgary. ;)

GrapevineSooner
2/10/2007, 01:19 PM
Open letter to Dwyane Wade (first name intentionally mispelled),

If the Mavericks go on to win the title this year and Dirk Nowitzki plays out of his mind in helping his team get a ring, I'll be the first to thank you for what has to be one of the most idiotic comments any athlete could make considering the here and now.

jk the sooner fan
2/11/2007, 08:45 PM
nice win by the Mavs tonite........the spurs lose and fall 9 games back.....i never would have thought.....they also slip into the 4 seed which would pit them against the Rockets if the playoffs started today..

colleyvillesooner
2/11/2007, 09:11 PM
and Pahonix is down 11 to the Bulls at halftime at home

NormanPride
2/12/2007, 05:43 PM
The Spurs will be lucky to make it past the first round in the playoffs. We're getting no production from the 3, and Tim's production has declined quite a bit. Not to mention we have about the worst 5 in the NBA. :(

colleyvillesooner
2/12/2007, 06:11 PM
Not to mention we have about the worst 5 in the NBA. :(

Only cause Shawn Bradley finally retired.

Scott D
2/12/2007, 11:04 PM
The Spurs will be lucky to make it past the first round in the playoffs. We're getting no production from the 3, and Tim's production has declined quite a bit. Not to mention we have about the worst 5 in the NBA. :(

you can have nazr back....for a draft pick ;)

NormanPride
2/13/2007, 01:31 PM
you can have nazr back....for a draft pick ;)

**** off dip**** :D

At this point I'm hoping we draft someone that's a surprise, like ALL of our players were. (excepting Tim, of course)

jk the sooner fan
2/13/2007, 01:47 PM
when is the trade deadline? i would expect the spurs to be a player come that time

BeetDigger
2/13/2007, 03:58 PM
**** off dip**** :D

At this point I'm hoping we draft someone that's a surprise, like ALL of our players were. (excepting Tim, of course)

You're right, Duncan was a present from David Stern for tanking. :D

sanantoniosooner
2/13/2007, 04:11 PM
yeah, because San Antonio is such a cash cow for the NBA;)

Who did we leap that year? Boston?

Yeah, the NBA would much rather San Antonio be good than Boston.

NormanPride
2/13/2007, 04:21 PM
I really don't think the NBA cares about markets as much as people think. It's more stars right now. If Duncan was more personable in public, San Antonio would get a lot more love. Don't get me wrong, the NBA love SA, but it doesn't have its mouth firmly affixed to SA's genitals like it does for LA or Miami, which is mainly because of Kobe and Wade.

jk the sooner fan
2/13/2007, 04:22 PM
i agree, its much easier to market a single star than it is a city itself

sanantoniosooner
2/13/2007, 04:27 PM
You can market a star in any city. If that city happens to be a key market, all the better.

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2007, 04:39 PM
Or a star going to a team in his home state with a 22% chance of getting the first pick
*cough* Lebron *cough*

NormanPride
2/13/2007, 05:13 PM
I always thought the lottery was silly. I like the NFL draft better...

Scott D
2/13/2007, 05:17 PM
The San Antonio Spurs traded forward Eric Williams and a draft pick to the Charlotte Bobcats for forward-center Melvin Ely in an exchange of veteran backups.

The Spurs said Tuesday that the draft pick is a second-round selection in 2009.

mindblowing ;)

jk the sooner fan
2/13/2007, 05:22 PM

yeah i dont like that the worst team isnt a lock for the first pick

thats all for tv, and i think it sucks

Scott D
2/13/2007, 05:36 PM

Ironically the other sports have all looked at various times at doing a lottery. I think most of them pulled away from the idea because they felt it promoted the likelihood of more than one team 'tanking' to get better position.

It definitely started as a pure marketing idea for the NBA, now it's somewhat relegated to thursday night halftime status instead of halftime of matinee Sunday afternoon game material.

NormanPride
2/13/2007, 05:40 PM
What do people think of the 19 years old rule? This is the first year with it in place, correct? Otherwise, Durant at Texas would be playing for Charlotte right now. :D

jk the sooner fan
2/13/2007, 05:55 PM
i like the 19 year old rule, and think it should be 20

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2007, 05:56 PM
ditto

Scott D
2/13/2007, 07:07 PM
What do people think of the 19 years old rule? This is the first year with it in place, correct? Otherwise, Durant at Texas would be playing for Charlotte right now. :D

I'm with jk and colley on this. I really wish the NBA could find a way to institute a 3 years out of high school rule like the NFL has. Mind you the argument they've been using against the NBA is MLB and the NHL...forget the fact that both leagues have an extensive minor league and youth programs in place that allow for 18 year olds to get drafted, since they won't have the pressure to play in the top level of their sport unless they are ungodly good like Sidney Crosby.

sanantoniosooner
2/13/2007, 07:11 PM
yeah i dont like that the worst team isnt a lock for the first pick

thats all for tv, and i think it sucks
Are you kidding me?

It's because teams would throw games to get the top pick.

This way you aren't assured of it, so it isn't a good play to make.

sanantoniosooner
2/13/2007, 07:13 PM
Ironically the other sports have all looked at various times at doing a lottery. I think most of them pulled away from the idea because they felt it promoted the likelihood of more than one team 'tanking' to get better position.

It definitely started as a pure marketing idea for the NBA, now it's somewhat relegated to thursday night halftime status instead of halftime of matinee Sunday afternoon game material.
I'm not sure how it encourages tanking it. I just don't think it's as applicable to other sports.

It doesn't make sense in the NFL, and drafting in MLB is an odd deal anyway.

BeetDigger
2/13/2007, 07:32 PM
Are you kidding me?

It's because teams would throw games to get the top pick.

This way you aren't assured of it, so it isn't a good play to make.

An ironic post.

SA tanked when the sailor went down. They didn't even try to hide it. No, Stern loves SA, but no more than some other cities. SA is a one horse town, a fact not lost on the NBA. Now Stern loves him some LA and Miami too.

Don't worry, Stern will be in the middle of player movement this offseason. The east is getting woefully thin in star players and even more thin in decent teams. He'll do what he did a couple years ago when Kidd magically stayed with NJ and Shaq popped up in Miami along with four of the first five picks going to the east (in the LeBron draft). Oh yeah, I see a couple of Clippers, perhaps Ray Allen and even Kevin Garnett going to the east to help balance things out a bit.

Scott D
2/13/2007, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure how it encourages tanking it. I just don't think it's as applicable to other sports.

It doesn't make sense in the NFL, and drafting in MLB is an odd deal anyway.

Probably because rather than being locked into a specific draft position, you're talking about playing for an exponentially higher amount of ping pong balls in your favor.

As for what Beet said...Garnett and perhaps Pau Gasol coming to the Eastern Conference will be a likely thing by the trade deadline.

sanantoniosooner
2/13/2007, 08:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery

I'm not sure you guys get the number of times it's been modified and the purpose in doing so.

BeetDigger
2/13/2007, 08:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery

I'm not sure you guys get the number of times it's been modified and the purpose in doing so.

I'm not sure you get the point that Stern plays a heavy hand in player movement and the lottery is just one method at his disposal. And the purpose in doing do.

sanantoniosooner
2/13/2007, 08:32 PM
You think he plays that card in every lottery?

I don't dispute a few times it's been "unusual" but I don't think he manipulates every one of them.

Scott D
2/13/2007, 09:23 PM
I have to go with sas on that one. It's not like Andrea Barghnani was going to become a household name overnight, so he fits in Toronto where nobody will remember who he is anyway.

That being said, Stern didn't orchestrate Kobe Bryant to LA, Bryant did that.

BeetDigger
2/13/2007, 09:45 PM
You think he plays that card in every lottery?

I don't dispute a few times it's been "unusual" but I don't think he manipulates every one of them.

I don't think he dictates the entire draft order if that's what you are asking. I think that the top of the draft is manipulated. The team with the worst record rarely won the top pick, except in the case with Cleveland (who was actually tied with Denver for the worst record).

Competition is not the sole driving force that dictates the outcomes in the NBA.

Oh, and returning to your Boston example, I will predict right now that Boston will have the top pick of the draft. Sure, they will probably have the worst record although Memphis is giving them a run for their money, but they will recieve the right to draft Oden. Philly will be #2, Memphis 3 or 4, with Charlotte and Atlanta being in the top 5.

Scott D
2/13/2007, 09:58 PM
Don't know, seems to be more people pointing at Durant being the #1 pick, not Oden. Then again, Oden keeps saying he's coming back to Columbus next year.

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2007, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't want the first pick. I wouldn't want to be the one that picked the wrong guy. Just get whoever is left.

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2007, 10:19 PM
Back to the thread topic:

Please don't lose to the Bucks.

Bucks 91
Mavs 88
4:30 4th

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2007, 10:26 PM
Bad no call on the Dirk 3, but he makes it worse by getting T'd up. He's gotta learn not to do that. Stack with a huge 3

Bucks 92
Mavs 91

2:15 4th

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2007, 10:28 PM
Mavs take the lead for the first time tonight

Mavs 93
Bucks 92
50.1 4th

jk the sooner fan
2/13/2007, 10:30 PM
lets go mavs......we have a horrible record against this team in milwaulkee for some reason

jk the sooner fan
2/13/2007, 10:37 PM
the Mavs win, the mavs win, the mavs win!!!!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2007, 10:39 PM
I'll take it.

Dirk is amazing.

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2007, 10:39 PM
the Mavs win, the mavs win, the mavs win!!!!!!!!

heh

GrapevineSooner
2/14/2007, 12:17 AM
Bad no call on the Dirk 3, but he makes it worse by getting T'd up. He's gotta learn not to do that. Stack with a huge 3

Bucks 92
Mavs 91

2:15 4th

Mark Cuban syndrome? ;)

And BTW, could somebody tell him how to defend his own players without making himself look like an a** in the process?

And to only refer to last year when looking forward ths year? Like what his coach has directed his team to do this year?

And BTW, I also don't buy that David Stern has as much of a role in orcestrating player movement as some believe. If he had that much control, Isiah Thomas wouldn't be allowed to screw over the Knicks. :D

jk the sooner fan
2/14/2007, 08:20 AM
here's how i look at the cuban deal.......he's bored.....and why? because the Mavs are a winning machine right now.....the team is under total control of avery and rolling along about as nicely as anybody could expect

i do wish he'd shut the hell up though.....outside his antics he's one of the best owners in all of professional sports......he really detracts away from that with "stupid mark"

NormanPride
2/14/2007, 10:57 AM
Cuban's a tool, and the only reason I'm not a Mavs fan right now. I love the Little General, and I don't mind Dirk that much, though I've never been a fan of watching a one-man show.

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2007, 11:15 AM
He's been relatively quiet this season until now. He doesn't bother me that much and no owner is gonna turn me off to my team. I have 4 pro teams I root for. The Mavs, The Rangers, The Stars and the Cowboys. If I let owner issues dictate who I root for, I wouldn't have a team to root for. :D

NormanPride
2/14/2007, 01:45 PM
Well, I'm also a San Antonio fan. :D I'm saying he prevents me from really liking the Mavs, as an outside party.

But yes, I wouldn't let ownership issues prevent me from liking the Spurs.

Scott D
2/14/2007, 01:49 PM
He's been relatively quiet this season until now. He doesn't bother me that much and no owner is gonna turn me off to my team. I have 4 pro teams I root for. The Mavs, The Rangers, The Stars and the Cowboys. If I let owner issues dictate who I root for, I wouldn't have a team to root for. :D

He just has an inability to separate the owner and the fan in him. I thought it interesting that in an interview within the last month, he was actually down enough that he was entertaining the thought of selling the Mavericks to get away from having to deal with Stern.

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2007, 02:17 PM
Well, I'm also a San Antonio fan. :D I'm saying he prevents me from really liking the Mavs, as an outside party.

But yes, I wouldn't let ownership issues prevent me from liking the Spurs.

Oh, okay, well, then **** off dip****.

jk the sooner fan
2/15/2007, 10:53 PM
what................a...............great......... .....win

GrapevineSooner
2/16/2007, 10:33 AM
Gutty win.

Ugly game, but gutty win.

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2007, 11:01 AM
This is the best team we've ever had.

Dirk is proving his MVP mettle. It should come down to him and Nash and how many people will be willing vote Nash a thrid straight MVP.

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2007, 11:03 AM
This is the best team we've ever had.

Dirk is proving his MVP mettle. It should come down to him and Nash and how many people will be willing vote Nash a thrid straight MVP.
Let's hope you didn't peak to early.

That was the jab at the Spurs for many years.........the best team through 50 games.

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2007, 11:19 AM
Let's hope you didn't peak to early.

That was the jab at the Spurs for many years.........the best team through 50 games.

Yep, and last time they had the best record at the break, they won the Finals. ;)

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2007, 11:23 AM
Yep, and last time they had the best record at the break, they won the Finals. ;)
How many times before that did it not work out as well?

I'm not banging on you or anything. But being the best through February hasn't always worked out for us in the past.

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2007, 11:27 AM
How many times before that did it not work out as well?

I'm not banging on you or anything. But being the best through February hasn't always worked out for us in the past.

I know. Just excited.

44-5 after that start is amazing.

Beef
2/16/2007, 11:29 AM
This Mavs team just seems to have a cold efficiency to them. Like they know damn well that this part of the season is just business they have to get done before they move on to the playoffs. They remind me of Jimmy Johnson's Cowboy teams. Efficient on offense and defense and nothing seems to phase them.

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2007, 12:48 PM
Anyone else remember when beef used to bag on San Antonio and claim he wasn't a mav fan? :D

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2007, 12:49 PM
Anyone else remember when beet used to bag on San Antonio and claim he wasn't a mav fan? :D

fixed ;)

jk the sooner fan
2/16/2007, 12:52 PM
you know we've arrived when the spurs fans hate on us like this

i love it

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2007, 12:52 PM
I hate when people have similar names.

That's why I killed sanangelosooner.

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2007, 12:53 PM
you know we've arrived when the spurs fans hate on us like this

i love it
Who's hating?

GrapevineSooner
2/16/2007, 01:18 PM
I don't think this amounts to hating from sas. I'm going to steal a Stoopsism and apply it here.

"They don't hand out trophies in February."

I think that's what sas is getting at. I love that we're at 44-9 and in the driver's seat for the best record in the NBA.

This morning, Dunham and Miller (or Munham and Diller if you're Corby) pointed out that since 2001, the team with the best record has won the NBA title exactly once (2003 when San Antonio won it).

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2007, 01:18 PM
Yeah, but if they did, it would be ours. :D

NormanPride
2/16/2007, 02:50 PM
No, hating from Spurs fans would be saying that you play half your game at the charity stripe, have caught the good teams when they haven't had their stars, and that Dirk is a bull in a china shop.

Of course, I don't really believe any of that stuff. Well, maybe the bit about Dirk, a little... ;)

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2007, 03:05 PM
No, hating from Spurs fans would be saying that you play half your game at the charity stripe, have caught the good teams when they haven't had their stars, and that Dirk is a bull in a china shop.

Is that why we're 20th in Free Throw attempts?

Fun Fact: D. Wade shoot just shy of half of Miami's FT's. (11.1 out of 24.9)

BeetDigger
2/16/2007, 03:11 PM
fixed ;)

The first part is correct, the second part never was, and probably never will be, correct. That said, between the Mavs and Heat, I prefered for the Mavs to win. But then again, I've been trying to convince you all that the David Stern is a polished Vince McMahan and you don't want to believe me. :)

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2007, 12:12 AM
Another solid win. Dirk puts up 31, 11 and 8. Love this team.

GrapevineSooner
2/27/2007, 06:18 PM
No George and possibly no J-Ho.

Tonight is the definition of a trap game.

Even if we win tonight, I'm sure John Hollinger will find some way to keep Dallas from being #1 in his ridiculous rankings formula.

colleyvillesooner
2/27/2007, 06:22 PM
No George and possibly no J-Ho.

Tonight is the definition of a trap game.

Even if we win tonight, I'm sure John Hollinger will find some way to keep Dallas from being #1 in his ridiculous rankings formula.

Here is his reasoning.

Numbers put Spurs at No. 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the nice things about the blog is it gives me a chance to respond to the topics that are filling up my in-box.

And at the moment, the top question by an overwhelming margin is, to paraphrase, "How the @#%$ are the Spurs ranked No. 1 in the Hollinger Power Rankings?"

At first glance, I understand how this seems totally illogical. San Antonio has lost twice as many games as Dallas, for crying out loud, and the Mavs are currently riding an 12-game winning streak -- their third double-digit win streak this year. They're 46-5 since an 0-4 start and haven't lost consecutive games in more than three months.

But the key word here is "first glance." One of the biggest reasons I created this ranking is to force people to look beyond the superficial first impression. In this case, it involves looking past won-loss record at the elements that go into it.

On its face this sounds absurd, I realize -- isn't winning the whole point? But as I've been trying to beat into people's heads over and over again, point differential is a better indicator of future success than won-loss record. In other words, if you were trying to pick a game between the Mavs and Spurs tomorrow, you'd be better off ignoring the standings and looking just at point differential.

And if you took that route, you'd be surprised to learn that San Antonio, not Dallas, has the best point differential in the league, at +7.9 points per game. (Actually, Dallas is third at +7.7 -- Phoenix also noses in ahead of them). That difference looms even larger once you consider only two teams have played more road games than the Spurs' 30 -- so the Spurs should be able to improve their mark during a home-laden final two months.

Additionally, the Spurs don't appear to be losing any steam. In the last three weeks they've won games by 27, 25 and 31, helping contribute to their strong victory margin in recent play -- another major determinant in the Hollinger rankings.

Because of the Spurs' place in the standings, this has been perhaps the single biggest misunderstanding of the current season. Columnists are looking at the Spurs' won-loss record and falling all over themselves to write "What's Wrong with the Spurs?" columns.

Reality check: San Antonio won a team-record 63 games last season with a point differential of +6.8. This year they're more than a point per game better (They need to be, too: Those 63 wins didn't do them any good in the playoffs); they just haven't been as fortunate in close games (more on that in a minute).

And while the Spurs are disappointed because they're "only" third in defensive efficiency instead of their usual perch at No. 1 (they've been there five of the past six seasons), this is the best offensive team of the Popovich era. San Antonio ranks sixth in the league in offensive efficiency, just 2.8 points per 100 possessions behind the Mavs. With their defensive advantage being as big as it is (3.0 points per 100 trips), San Antonio is still well-equipped to rule the West.

By the way -- they're doing this while playing their scrubs for much of the game. No Spur is playing more than 35 minutes per game; Tim Duncan leads the team at 34.6. Tony Parker is playing only 33.0 minutes, Manu Ginobili a measly 27.8. No team is playing their starters less, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Spurs' big three will see a lot more action during the playoffs, making San Antonio even tougher.

In other words, not only is there nothing "wrong" with the Spurs, this actually might be San Antonio's best team since its 1999 championship squad. The Spurs' problem isn't age or a lack of fire or any of the other ideas trotted out in recent weeks. It's that they're 5-10 in games decided by five points or less, while the Mavs are 12-2. That's the main reason the teams are 8½ games apart in the standings, not any difference in the quality of their play.

I realize this is hard to swallow when one looks at the standings, but that's the whole point here -- I'm trying to get you to look beyond them. Once you do, it immediately becomes apparent that the Spurs are a major threat to win the championship, and that they're No. 1 in the rankings because, as heretical as this may sound, they're playing better than everyone else right now. Dallas included.

Scott D
2/27/2007, 06:37 PM
logically his reasoning makes sense. I may not fully agree with it, but it does make sense.

and on another note, who else was ill seeing that stephenson injury last night?

GrapevineSooner
2/27/2007, 06:39 PM
Nice crack (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA022707.01D.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.17cf111.html) on Hollinger by Buck Harvey

The Spurs won again. The Dallas Mavericks, only 8.5 games ahead in the standings, may never catch up...

"At first glance," Hollinger wrote, "I understand how this seems totally illogical."
It's totally illogical at second glance, too. The Spurs are contenders, and they are playing their best right now. But put them ahead of Dallas? Only a computer would do that.

Scott D
2/27/2007, 06:54 PM
and by stephenson I meant shawn livingston.

colleyvillesooner
2/27/2007, 07:46 PM
yeah that was nasty

colleyvillesooner
2/27/2007, 11:25 PM
Gotta love the trap game you win by 26, holding your opponent to the lowest point total for a game in Mav's franchise history. :D

jk the sooner fan
2/27/2007, 11:40 PM
that was a fun game to watch!

colleyvillesooner
2/27/2007, 11:45 PM
I agree.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when "NBA Fastbreak" had a lead segment called "Who can beat the Mavs?" :D :D :D

sanantoniosooner
2/27/2007, 11:52 PM
crap.

CVS is going to have to be on suicide watch if they don't win the last game.

GrapevineSooner
2/28/2007, 01:52 AM
I seemed to forget...

Minny seems to be mailing it in as of late with bitter KG.

colleyvillesooner
2/28/2007, 11:16 AM
crap.

CVS is going to have to be on suicide watch if they don't win the last game.

?

Scott D
2/28/2007, 01:59 PM
I seemed to forget...

Minny seems to be mailing it in as of late with bitter KG.

yeah, I'd put KG on the "I'm going to play when I feel like it until you trade me" list until he gets out of Minneapolis.

Scott D
2/28/2007, 02:30 PM
yeah that was nasty

I shudder to think of how much rehab goes into a torn ACL, PCL, and MCL along with a broken kneecap.