PDA

View Full Version : Exploitation of new clock rules

Pride Baritone
11/7/2006, 12:14 PM
Wisconsin runs out the clock against Penn State before the half by exploiting the new clock rules. Just another reason these rules should never have been put into effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp5WM94UOBg

Sorry if this has been previously posted.

Scott D
11/7/2006, 12:20 PM
it'd be funnier with these

"It was a hell of a call!" said Alvarez, the school's athletic director who hired Bielema. "If Joe Paterno does that everyone says it's genius. There are rules. Good coaches take advantage of them. Do you not think Joe Paterno would have done it if he'd known the rule?"

and

Wisconsin won the game to improve to 9-1. Alvarez said he and Bielema discussed exploiting this loophole back in the summer, when they visited with officials.

"It's a bad rule," Alvarez said. "I think what you'll see next year is the clock stopped in the final two minutes of each half."

tbl
11/7/2006, 12:30 PM
I think it's genius by their coach... Genius...

Newbomb Turk
11/7/2006, 12:36 PM
rules are made to be broken...and exploited.

Rhino
11/7/2006, 12:59 PM
Smart move by Wisky.

start8
11/7/2006, 01:01 PM
clever

proudsoonergal
11/7/2006, 01:03 PM
He's not playing fair! He should have given the ball back to Penn State - otherwise it is just cheating!!!! ;)

OUMallen
11/7/2006, 01:16 PM
http://www.guinness.com/NR/rdonlyres/D82206F9-E43B-4AA9-BE4D-3A75140BC5A0/0/ads_lbb_grab3.jpg

Maybe they will swtich the rules back now.

Paperclip
11/7/2006, 01:19 PM
Couldn't Penn State decline the penalty?

tru2ou
11/7/2006, 01:24 PM
I've always wondered why more teams don't exploit the penalty rule late in the game on offense.

Let's say there is 1:30 left on the clock and you're on offense. The clock starts on the change of possession. The offense runs the clock down to 1:06 and one of the lineman jumps for an illegal procedure penalty. The defense either takes or refuses the penatly and the clock starts again with a new :25 second clock. Since the clock was running before the penalty, the clock starts and runs again after the penalty.

I'm amazed I've never seen anyone employ this strategy at the end of a game. I guess it could be looked upon as unsportsmanlike but its still within the rules.

- TRU

CincySooner
11/7/2006, 01:25 PM

declining that penalty wouldnt put time back on the clock. Offsides isnt a dead-ball penalty.

Paperclip
11/7/2006, 01:26 PM
declining that penalty wouldnt put time back on the clock. Offsides isnt a dead-ball penalty.

I realize that, but it wouldn't give Wisconsin the opportunity to keep doing it.

tru2ou
11/7/2006, 01:27 PM

They could and let the clock run out but I think Joe PA was hoping to get another possession. I think it was genius to have the kickoff team be 10 yeard offsides. There was no way PSU was going to return the kick very far with guys getting a ten yard head start to cover the kick.

- TRU

soonersam
11/7/2006, 01:45 PM
i love it.... the ncaa has tried to change the game so it fits better into TV times.. well the games shouldnt be screwed with because of money and TV

Pricetag
11/7/2006, 01:58 PM
"It's a bad rule," Alvarez said. "I think what you'll see next year is the clock stopped in the final two minutes of each half."
Sounds like the one minute rule in Arena Football.

Partial Qualifier
11/7/2006, 02:00 PM
Geeze, look at Paterno. How sad is that whole situation? Kinda like Bob Barry Sr., his useful years are way behind him but he won't step down and the administration is afraid to cut him loose because "he's a great guy" and "he's done so much for the program".

Only difference is, Paterno's existence is taking the whole program down, not just the radio broadcast :O
glad I'm not a PSU fan. They should be a year-in-year-out powerhouse.....

Scott D
11/7/2006, 02:03 PM

This might help explain things

NCAA Associate Director for Playing Rules Administration Ty Halpin said that, by rule, Penn State could have accepted a 5-yard penalty where it ended up with the ball.

"But think about where Penn State would have started with the ball," Alvarez noted. "They caught it at the 5-yard line."

Game officals have also been instructed to give out unsportsmanlike penalties if they believe the offsides are clearly intentional.

"Officials are not going to use that until it is very clear the team is circumventing the rule," Halpin said. "You can argue that in this case, but the game officials are in a tough spot here because by rule, what Wisconsin did was legal."

Grant Teaff, director of the American Football Coaches Association, said his organization and the NCAA are compiling feedback and analysis on the new clock rules, which have been widely criticized by coaches.

"I can assure you this scenario is a big topic of discussion at officials' meetings this morning," Teaff said. "There are other rules that can be exploited. If within the rules, the question becomes is it unethical or does it just take advantage of a rule? I can assure you this will be discussed."

OUMallen
11/7/2006, 02:03 PM
I don't blame JoePa there. It's like, you think SOMETHING could be done in that situation. But you just can't. haha.

http://www.burks.de/grafik2/owned.jpg

Harry Beanbag
11/7/2006, 02:36 PM
Paul Maguire is brighter than I gave him credit for.

bluedogok
11/7/2006, 02:46 PM
i love it.... the ncaa has tried to change the game so it fits better into TV times.. well the games shouldnt be screwed with because of money and TV
Well.....if they got rid of all the TV timeouts the games would go much faster :rolleyes:

GottaHavePride
11/7/2006, 03:13 PM
I'm still waiting for the copycat thread.

colleyvillesooner
11/7/2006, 03:24 PM
Go Vols was way right...

http://66.34.250.71/forums/showthread.php?t=75133&highlight=clock+kickoff

OUMallen
11/7/2006, 03:54 PM
Go vols is smart. Had it 95% right, just didn't guess the right penalty.

colleyvillesooner
11/7/2006, 03:56 PM
Go vols is smart. Had it 95% right, just didn't guess the right penalty.

The only smart thing he did was repeat what he heard on the radio. ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
11/7/2006, 04:03 PM
Dang, talk about predicting the future...

JoePa is just ****ed that he didn't think of it first...

Wisconsin was genius, can't blame a coach for using the rules and knowing the quirks of the rule. Like that aggie bitching that he wanted Bob to punt so they could get the ball again, making Bob the bad guy because he went for it, rules don't require one to punt, just as the rules don't say you can't intentionally be offsides...

sooner518
11/7/2006, 04:27 PM
i love it. lets hope this kind of thing changes the rule

daMentor
11/7/2006, 04:42 PM
Wait... from what vols was saying the clock would start once they spotted the ball and they wouldn't have to kick. As we saw in that replay the clock didn't start until the ball was kicked even after the offsides penalty. Is illegal procedure different on a kickoff? Does the clock start on the rekick or something?

Scott D
11/7/2006, 05:30 PM
the clock restarted each subsequent kickoff, burning about 5-6 seconds off the clock each time.

tnraider1
11/7/2006, 05:34 PM
Seems kind of silly to me. They had held Penn State to 89 total yards of offense at that point. Why give them three chances at breaking a KO return for a TD? In the right situation though, I could understand.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/7/2006, 05:45 PM
It have been an impressive KO return for a TD considering the cover team was 10 yards past the ball before it was ever kicked...

tnraider1
11/7/2006, 05:50 PM
It have been an impressive KO return for a TD considering the cover team was 10 yards past the ball before it was ever kicked...

Reggie could do it!!! :D

crawfish
11/7/2006, 05:56 PM
I bet JoPa had his player fumble on purpose, just to spite Alvarez. :D

TopDawg
11/7/2006, 06:06 PM
I bet JoPa had his player fumble on purpose, just to spite Alvarez. :D

To spite the head coach's boss? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/7/2006, 06:07 PM
JoePa was probably wanting Tony Sacca to have a chance to drive them down the field

StoopTroup
11/7/2006, 06:57 PM
If Joepa had known they were going to do that...

He should have had his guys go tackle the ball as the kicker kicked it.