PDA

View Full Version : Please indulge me for a moment.

Okla-homey
11/6/2006, 07:45 PM
Okay, some of you folks enjoy reading the little history snippets I try to faithfully bring you each morning. If you enjoy them, or even if you don't, I'm asking for a favor this evening.

Here's the dealio. Unless you have been living in a cave, you know tomorrow is Election Day. I'm asking all true SOONERS to get off their duffs, head-out for work a little early in the morning, and VOTE. The polls open at 0700 and they close at 1900.

Look, I know many of you are sick of all the campaigning, hate the phone calls, signs and ads, but, please consider the following.

There are a lot of military veterans on here. The most important thing we defended during our period of service was your sacred franchise. Seriously.

See, true representative democracy is a rare thing on this spinning orb we call Earth. There are literally billions of people who don't know what it is to walk up to a polling place, and cast their vote without fear of government reprisal or fearing their vote won't matter.

No matter what the pundits on either side may say, your vote matters and everyone who loves this little political experiment we call the United States of America is depending on you to fulfill the obligation you owe to generations who suffered on your behalf to secure your right. Please trust me, its the grown-up thing to do. Our kids are depending on you to show them the way. Bring that little "I voted" sticker home and show them. That's the only way to bring them up right.

Hundreds of thousands of American men and women have died to win, and secure, your right to go to the polls tomorrow. So, please, show-up, greet the nice blue-haired retired lady or old Oklahoma gentleman, get your yellow paper ballot and "special pen" and fill in those arrows.

Now look, I'm begging you, donkey, or elephant, or something in between -- makes absolutely no diff. Get your tookus to the polls and do your duty as an American citizen. Our system depends on you. It just doesn't work as well if only the extreme looney left or extreme rabid right does all the voting. You can bet they'll be there tomorrow. How about joining them?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

Ur pal,
Homey

Vaevictis
11/6/2006, 07:47 PM
I haven't missed an election since I became eligible. I ain't gonna start now.

Okla-homey
11/6/2006, 07:48 PM
I haven't missed an election since I became eligible. I ain't gonna start now.

Thanks bro.

Widescreen
11/6/2006, 07:49 PM
Get your tookus to the polls
If a candidate used that as one of their slogans, they'd pretty much guarantee the win. :P

bri
11/6/2006, 07:55 PM
As long as I don't have to pass a civics quiz before they let me vote, I'm in. :D

Czar Soonerov
11/6/2006, 07:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Laa-qz0JlQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20h4unigzXw

Hatfield
11/6/2006, 07:58 PM
p.s. you can also make your voice heard by allowing the sale of booze during polling hours.

Okla-homey
11/6/2006, 07:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Laa-qz0JlQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20h4unigzXw

p1ss-off Czar.:mad:

Vaevictis
11/6/2006, 07:59 PM
And you can also make your voice heard by making it so that state legislators have to refund their pay for periods in which they are incarcerated ;)

Surely that's something we can all agree on, yes?

Okla-homey
11/6/2006, 08:00 PM
And you can also make your voice heard by making it so that state legislators have to refund their pay for periods in which they are incarcerated ;)

Surely that's something we can all agree on, yes?

hear flippin' hear.

royalfan5
11/6/2006, 08:00 PM
I can't wait to get my I voted today sticker.

OUHOMER
11/6/2006, 08:01 PM
The timing of your post was great. I was just discussing with the wife, about who to vote for. I have been real disappointed in the choices, or maybe I have not paid enough attention to them. I was about to throw in the towel and say the hell with it.

But you’re right. Too many have sacrificed and I want the right to bitch about it later.

So thanks Homey. I will be voting tomorrow.

olevetonahill
11/6/2006, 08:08 PM
In

soonerboomer93
11/6/2006, 08:14 PM
Out

- I forgot to request my absentee ballot

Scott D
11/6/2006, 08:14 PM
I plan on writing in a selection for every position on my ballot tomorrow.

Osce0la
11/6/2006, 08:17 PM
Not trying to be funny or be a smart-*ss - but seriously, what if you don't like either of the candidates running for anything? I'm not big on anyone that is running in Alabama. Riley has done some good, but I disagree with a lot of things he has done. I just all around do not like his opposition, and I refuse to vote for one just to keep the other from winning. I honestly don't know that I am going to vote (governor isn't the only thing I don't care for the candidates on). I may wake up in the morning and go vote anyway, but as of now I have no one that I want to vote for. This will be the first election I haven't voted in if I decide not to vote.

Vaevictis
11/6/2006, 08:19 PM
Not trying to be funny or be a smart-*ss - but seriously, what if you don't like either of the candidates running for anything?

Pick one that you think will most closely represent what you want done. Failing that, write in.

And next election cycle, support someone you DO like in the primaries. If nobody fits the bill, recruit someone or run yourself ;)

Mongo
11/6/2006, 08:20 PM
Not trying to be funny or be a smart-*ss - but seriously, what if you don't like either of the candidates running for anything? I'm not big on anyone that is running in Alabama. Riley has done some good, but I disagree with a lot of things he has done. I just all around do not like his opposition, and I refuse to vote for one just to keep the other from winning. I honestly don't know that I am going to vote (governor isn't the only thing I don't care for the candidates on). I may wake up in the morning and go vote anyway, but as of now I have no one that I want to vote for. This will be the first election I haven't voted in if I decide not to vote.

Vote for the lesser of two ******s. You answered it yourself, one guy did some good(he possibly has some left for next term), or a total dickweed that you totally oppose.

reevie
11/6/2006, 08:22 PM
I plan to be at my polls at 0700, or shortly thereafter

mrowl
11/6/2006, 08:23 PM
early voting rocks.

Scott D
11/6/2006, 08:25 PM
early voting rocks.

only if you beat the dorks who hang out in front of the polling place attempting to influence your vote.

mrowl
11/6/2006, 08:26 PM
only if you beat the dorks who hang out in front of the polling place attempting to influence your vote.

never had that problem here.

85Sooner
11/6/2006, 08:29 PM
I'll be there

Widescreen
11/6/2006, 08:32 PM
I tried to vote early on Friday but when I got there about 6PM, the wait was 1.5 hours. Decided I'd fight the crowds in the morning.

OhU1
11/6/2006, 08:41 PM
Voted today. I love the early voting option. At the very least I feel I should vote to register my opinion. Cancel out the vote of someone I disagree with. :)

jk the sooner fan
11/6/2006, 09:05 PM
early voting rocks.

werd

proud gonzo
11/6/2006, 09:31 PM
I don't vote because I'm not registered in Oklahoma and I don't know about any of the candidates in Kansas.

but I agree, all you hillbillies should vote ; )

sooneron
11/6/2006, 09:32 PM
I plan to vote early and often!!!

opksooner
11/6/2006, 09:57 PM
Voted early. Last week. I felt so good afterward, I may do it again.

SoonerProphet
11/6/2006, 10:09 PM
Kinky or Grandma, still can't decide. Gardner Osborne has my vote in District 12, misuse of eminent domain and tax dollars for Trinity and the Corridor, to name a few on goofy Kay Granger.

OUinFLA
11/6/2006, 10:34 PM
Homey for Gov.

hint: it's a write in.

If I can vote down here in Fla where you never know if your vote gets counted, you hillbillys can vote up there where it always counts.
Besides, I always vote so my bitching afterwards doesn't seem so hypocritical.

StoopTroup
11/6/2006, 10:37 PM
Wife and I both plan to vote tomorrow.

We're gonna get liquored up before we go. ;)

This one is about Greyhound Racing right?

Jimminy Crimson
11/6/2006, 10:45 PM
Unless you have been living in a cave...

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/caveman_1.jpg

I don't have much of an appetite, thank you.

Rhino
11/6/2006, 10:59 PM
Get out and vote.

But, please get informed before you head to the polls.

If you have no clue who you're voting for, please, please, please stay away. If you're only concerned with a few races and/or state questions, then only vote on those and leave the others alone.

The only thing worse than the apathetic is the ignorant.

OCUDad
11/6/2006, 11:04 PM
The only thing worse than the apathetic is the ignorant.I didn't know that -- and furthermore, I don't care. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I voted absentee three days ago. Now at least I have earned my right to complain against any winning bastages I voted against.

Jimminy Crimson
11/6/2006, 11:14 PM
I'll be at the polls around 7:30 and will be near various polling places/key intersections until 6pm or so.

proud gonzo
11/6/2006, 11:17 PM
Get out and vote.

If you have no clue who you're voting for, please, please, please stay away. If you're only concerned with a few races and/or state questions, then only vote on those and leave the others alone.

The only thing worse than the apathetic is the ignorant.no kidding. I'm scared to think that some people are actually voting based on those damned "political ads" :mad:

PhxSooner
11/6/2006, 11:36 PM
I voted by mail over a week ago. I should have just started answering my phone with "I already voted! Quit calling!".

It'll take people forever to vote out here this year; we have something like 18ballot propositions to get through.

critical_phil
11/6/2006, 11:37 PM
Vote for the lesser of two ******s.

just look where this has gotten us.......

Mongo
11/6/2006, 11:40 PM
just look where this has gotten us.......

Imagine the greater of the two ******s!!

critical_phil
11/6/2006, 11:51 PM
Imagine the greater of the two ******s!!

i guess i'll buy that.

i wish people would use the lesser ****** approach in the primary elections as well. we'd end up choosing the lesser of the two semi-******s rather than the lesser of the turbo-******s.

SicEmBaylor
11/6/2006, 11:58 PM
:sigh:
Homey is a lost cause. He has faith.

Mongo
11/6/2006, 11:59 PM
i guess i'll buy that.

i wish people would use the lesser ****** approach in the primary elections as well. we'd end up choosing the lesser of the two semi-******s rather than the lesser of the turbo-******s.

You have mastered the use of ******. You now own the title Jedi ******master, use the your power wisely and may the ****** be with you.

critical_phil
11/7/2006, 12:01 AM
You have mastered the use of ******. You now own the title Jedi ******master, use the your power wisely and may the ****** be with you.

dildonically yours,

c_p

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/7/2006, 12:04 AM
Vote for the lesser of two ******s. You answered it yourself, one guy did some good(he possibly has some left for next term), or a total dickweed that you totally oppose.This is the logical approach.

sanantoniosooner
11/7/2006, 12:09 AM
This is the logical approach.
I didn't read the whole thread, but here's my standard.

You know you're going to get kick in the a55, so you vote for the guy with the smallest foot.

Mongo
11/7/2006, 12:11 AM

You know you're going to get ****** in the a55, so you vote for the guy offering the reach around.

fixed

StoopTroup
11/7/2006, 12:26 AM
I just called Brad Henry's Office and asked them who to vote for. ;)

sanantoniosooner
11/7/2006, 12:28 AM
fixed
I can't say that one in mixed company.;)

OUinFLA
11/7/2006, 07:24 AM

You know you're going to get kick in the a55, so you vote for the guy with the smallest foot.

YMSSRA

AlbqSooner
11/7/2006, 07:48 AM
Get out and vote.

The only thing worse than the apathetic is the ignorant.
AMEN to this one. The practice of voting while uninformed is how people like that Nazi in Louisiana get elected. Later you hear people saying, "Well I had no idea that was what he was like."

If you don't know - or at least have a clue - Don't Vote! This goes for ballot initiatives too.

Okla-homey
11/7/2006, 07:54 AM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/1106/tttttttttttttttttttttttgh2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BudSooner
11/7/2006, 08:28 AM
IN!

IB4OU2
11/7/2006, 08:51 AM
Done.......as always.

After today maybe the harrasing calls will stop. I had over 8 last night. :(

TUSooner
11/7/2006, 09:57 AM
And if you can't think of something or someone to vote FOR, then go vote AGAINST something or someone. Just do it.

Okla-homey
11/7/2006, 09:57 AM
If you are eligible to vote and you don't:

You have absolutely no right whatsoever to b1tch and moan later.

TUSooner
11/7/2006, 10:00 AM
I'm tired of hearing it said that democracy doesn't work. Of course it doesn't work. We are supposed to work it. ~ Alexander Woollcott

Scott D
11/7/2006, 11:39 AM
Alright...voting done. I heard there's an outside chance that the grass roots campaign of Jim Leyland for Governor has an outside chance of winning some votes..I went with that choice.

MamaMia
11/7/2006, 11:49 AM
I always vote if I know the polls are open. In the future, it will be nice to have a little toddy before hand, just to relax me a bit. :D

Osce0la
11/7/2006, 12:02 PM
Alright...voting done. I heard there's an outside chance that the grass roots campaign of Jim Leyland for Governor has an outside chance of winning some votes..I went with that choice.
So there's an outside chance that he may have an outside chance? Or there is just an outside chance? :confused:

I decided this morning I'd go ahead and vote for Riley, though I don't agree with a lot of things he has done. He has helped education in Alabama, so that is a big selling point seeing as how my son's first year of school will be Riley's last year in office.

SoonerInKCMO
11/7/2006, 03:56 PM
If you are eligible to vote and you don't:

You have absolutely no right whatsoever to b1tch and moan later.

Hypothetical: Some d00d lives in the Kansas City area on the KS side. But, he works in MO. Also > 50% of the metro population lives on the MO side. Most of the big business is on the MO side. All the action is on the MO side. Therefore, the races and ballot issues with the biggest impact on his day to day life are in MO and can't be voted on by him. Does whether he votes in KS affect his right to bitch about what goes on in MO?

Scott D
11/7/2006, 04:23 PM
I voted early today.
For me, voting is similiar to going to Mass - not looking forward to it but it makes me feel better afterwards and I usually meet some good people. Today, there were some new to the neighborhood [insert Craig James' "old fart" comment here] voters in line. They were excited to vote in my town as were some "first timers". Their enthusiasm to vote for the first time was nice to see.

In this thread, there were some good points earlier about "exercising your right" and "working at democracy".

But did you vote for Lynn Swann?

Scott D
11/7/2006, 04:30 PM
which shows how sad our once proud electoral process has gotten. I'm personally hoping enough people vote for Leyland or Mickey Mouse or such that Granholm and DeVos tie.

Harry Beanbag
11/7/2006, 04:55 PM
Just got back from voting. No waiting at all, got my ballot and walked directly to the booth. Quite a bit different than the 4 hour line I stood in for the Presidential election in '04.

Other than having to point out to the blue hair trying to find my name on the rolls that she didn't know the alphabet, everything went smooth.

OUHOMER
11/7/2006, 05:18 PM
I walked right in myself, i was in and out in less than 10 mins. Got a sticker to prove it too

SicEmBaylor
11/7/2006, 05:48 PM
AMEN to this one. The practice of voting while uninformed is how people like that Nazi in Louisiana get elected. Later you hear people saying, "Well I had no idea that was what he was like."

If you don't know - or at least have a clue - Don't Vote! This goes for ballot initiatives too.

:sigh:
I've been saying the same damned thing for at least two years now and every time I bring I say it I get bashed and/or negged. I'm glad I'm not alone in these sentiments.

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2006, 05:49 PM
sigh, thats because you're talking about a damn poll test

quite different

SicEmBaylor
11/7/2006, 05:59 PM
sigh, thats because you're talking about a damn poll test

quite different

No, the poll test is another matter entirely.

If the poll test (which I should point out would not actually be administered on election day at the polling place) were applied there'd be no need to encourage ignorant people not to vote.

OUinFLA
11/7/2006, 06:55 PM
I voted early today, but I'm afraid I left a chad hanging.
I'll probably be the reason that Florida votes are not counted until December.