PDA

View Full Version : 2006: Stoops proves his worth!

8timechamps
11/6/2006, 07:24 PM
Since Stoops arrived in Norman, all the misery that had festered in the program has been wiped away. The days of a drunken coach, impromptu team meetings, losing seasons and (gulp) NCAA sanctions seems like decades ago.

In the blindness of recent success, I think we, as fans, sometimes get a little jaded when we assess our coaching staff and what a great job they have/are doing. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care for the “at least we are a top 25 team” mentality. I do think Oklahoma is about tradition, and dominance. And I think it’s okay to expect more than an average or “decent” team. But, with the exception of the 2000 season, I think this season has been the single best job of coaching Stoops & Co. have done since their arrival.

Not that any true Sooner fan needs reminding, but when you look back at this year you can see the hurdles that have mostly been overcome. We’ve had more “incidents” that present great opportunity to distract from our play than many programs have in five or ten years.

How many schools can rebound from having their starting QB kicked off the team weeks before the season opens? Okay, maybe some can. What if you throw in an O lineman? Still possible? Okay, then take away the best player on your team, the player that accounts for over 50% of your offense? Still not sold? Throw in a loss that was a win. We all know the game in question. How ‘bout now? How well could a team recover? If the team were a mid major, or independent with one or two top 25 teams on the schedule, then I guess it’s still possible. What if it was a team in a big conference…that plays 40%-50% of it’s schedule against ranked teams…on the road? I think you’d be hard pressed to find more than a couple of coaches that could overcome those odds and convince his team they can still play at the highest level. Stoops is/has done just that.

When I think of good coaching as it relates to a season, I think of the total package, not just the Xs and Os. The success OU has had this year goes far beyond the Xs and Os. It’s about recruiting players like Allen Patrick, knowing where to put a guy like Reggie Smith. It’s about blowing up at a player over a personal foul call in order to continue a standard of no tolerance. So much more goes on behind the scenes.

While this year may not go down as the best year in the history of Sooner football, it will mark a phenomenal year for the efforts of Stoops and his staff. As well as the players.

So, the next time someone questions whether or not Stoops is committed to the program, or if he is still the best man for the job, maybe you can look back at this year and see just how special he is, and how fortunate we, as fans, are.

Widescreen
11/6/2006, 07:33 PM
Top shelf.

Sooner_Bob
11/6/2006, 07:37 PM
very cool post.

how ya been?

PDTsooner
11/6/2006, 07:38 PM
Amen Brother! <wiping tear from eye>

StoopTroup
11/6/2006, 07:45 PM
Bob is da MAN!

Great Post 8X's

OUHOMER
11/6/2006, 08:12 PM
Well, if you put it like that, I would say he needs a raise.

great post.

AzianSooner
11/6/2006, 08:57 PM
I would like to add in that Bob does know who he needs to hire for his staff. I truly like the OL coach from NorthWestern Univ and KW.

Flying Scotsman
11/6/2006, 08:58 PM
Rockin' true!!

birddog
11/6/2006, 08:59 PM
Since Stoops arrived in Norman, all the misery that had festered in the program has been wiped away. The days of a drunken coach, impromptu team meetings, losing seasons and (gulp) NCAA sanctions seems like decades ago.

In the blindness of recent success, I think we, as fans, sometimes get a little jaded when we assess our coaching staff and what a great job they have/are doing. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care for the “at least we are a top 25 team” mentality. I do think Oklahoma is about tradition, and dominance. And I think it’s okay to expect more than an average or “decent” team. But, with the exception of the 2000 season, I think this season has been the single best job of coaching Stoops & Co. have done since their arrival.

Not that any true Sooner fan needs reminding, but when you look back at this year you can see the hurdles that have mostly been overcome. We’ve had more “incidents” that present great opportunity to distract from our play than many programs have in five or ten years.

How many schools can rebound from having their starting QB kicked off the team weeks before the season opens? Okay, maybe some can. What if you throw in an O lineman? Still possible? Okay, then take away the best player on your team, the player that accounts for over 50% of your offense? Still not sold? Throw in a loss that was a win. We all know the game in question. How ‘bout now? How well could a team recover? If the team were a mid major, or independent with one or two top 25 teams on the schedule, then I guess it’s still possible. What if it was a team in a big conference…that plays 40%-50% of it’s schedule against ranked teams…on the road? I think you’d be hard pressed to find more than a couple of coaches that could overcome those odds and convince his team they can still play at the highest level. Stoops is/has done just that.

When I think of good coaching as it relates to a season, I think of the total package, not just the Xs and Os. The success OU has had this year goes far beyond the Xs and Os. It’s about recruiting players like Allen Patrick, knowing where to put a guy like Reggie Smith. It’s about blowing up at a player over a personal foul call in order to continue a standard of no tolerance. So much more goes on behind the scenes.

While this year may not go down as the best year in the history of Sooner football, it will mark a phenomenal year for the efforts of Stoops and his staff. As well as the players.

So, the next time someone questions whether or not Stoops is committed to the program, or if he is still the best man for the job, maybe you can look back at this year and see just how special he is, and how fortunate we, as fans, are.

i think i love you.

sooneron
11/6/2006, 09:11 PM
Whereas, I am not in total agreement. I would like to wait until after the season to anoint Bob King of all Footballdom. We have a couple of tests coming up. The staff has done a very good job, but we as Sooners should expect that. When the idiot was tossed, I thought we win MAYBE 9 games, I really thought 8.

2000, was to this day, the most remarkable single season coaching that I have ever seen. We'll see if that is surpassed.

Snrfn4ever08
11/6/2006, 09:16 PM
That might be one of the sweetest things I've ever heard.:D And by the way, I agree with you 100%. This year has been an amazing job of coaching for Stoops and Co.

Crimsontothecore
11/6/2006, 09:31 PM
Mega dittos!
How many teams could lose their starting QB and their all-universe RB and still win in a place like college station? DAMN FEW!
We are blessed beyond words to have Bob Stoops.

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/6/2006, 09:36 PM
We lost both heads of the two headed monster and the monster is still hungry on account he's not dead. The monster now has 22 heads and then another two heads on the sideline plus EVERn MORe haeads onthe sideline plus a jillion on the stadium you cannOT kill TH EMONSTER IT ONLY GROW STONGER WTIH TIME AND INJURY YOU HEARE WHAT MI SAYING? O YOU NOO YOU DO!
http://soonerspectator.com/images/bigcovers/bowlcover.jpg

sooneron
11/6/2006, 09:45 PM
I think dolELo got Beano's password.

BTW- Props to 8X. Glad to see you back and that was a really good post, just not ready yet.