PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Rico having problems in the NFL

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2006, 06:42 PM
Efficiency rating for all NFL QBS thus far for 2006. Uncle Rico's way down there, a few notches behind Seneca Wallace even:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=NFL&year=season_2006&timeframe=ToDate&qualified=0&sort=49&old_category=QB

Sorted by completion percentage...this is really sad. I mean, really:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=NFL&year=season_2006&timeframe=ToDate&qualified=0&sort=41&old_category=QB

Okay, I'll admit he's better than most of his peers already at fumbling and throwing interceptions:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=NFL&year=season_2006&sort=47&timeframe=ToDate

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=NFL&year=season_2006&sort=3&timeframe=ToDate

Tennessee paid alot of money for that. How many GM's do you think are breathing a sigh of relief that Uncle Rico didn't "fall" to them during the draft?

okienole3
11/6/2006, 06:45 PM
In Rico's defense, he is still only a rookie. Leinart's numbers aren't a lot better.

colleyvillesooner
11/6/2006, 06:46 PM
Troy Aikman, in his first year as a starter (1990) completed 56.6% of his passes, for a 6.5 ypa average, 2579 yards, 11 TD's and 18 INT's. He turned out alright.

I don't think Vince will turn into a good QB either, but it's a tad early to say after his 4th game that all the other GM's are breathing a sigh of relief.

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2006, 06:49 PM
It's an unorthodox throwing style, yes, but sure to catch on in high school powder puff games...
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20061105/capt.f1d13f7b887d44cca5591fe98efbeb60.titans_jagua rs_football_flpc209.jpg

His penchant for throwing the INT have helped him hone his tackling skills, though...so maybe move him to safety?
Looks like one of The Real Roy's old horse-collar manuevers :D
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/7f/full.getty-71465379ms004_tennessee_tit_2_44_37_pm.jpg

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2006, 06:53 PM
In Rico's defense, he is still only a rookie. Leinart's numbers aren't a lot better.

I wholeheartedly agree that they both suck and got overhyped, so...

sooner518
11/6/2006, 07:45 PM
i heard he got absolutely smeared one a sack by the Jags yesterday. anyone got video of that?

jwlynn64
11/6/2006, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is so eager to see him fail.:confused: Sure, when he was with Texas I wanted him to lose every game except for one but my dislike for Texas doesn't carry over into the NFL.

I guess I live by the philosophy of don't hope for success by wishing failure on others. Seems like there is a lot of wishing for the failure of others going on here.

Remember, he didn't do his best in College until the great coaching staff at Texas stopped coaching him. He is the poster boy for why Texas' coaching staff sucks (except for their defensive coach who will become a head coach at the end of this season [fingers crossed]).

StoopTroup
11/6/2006, 08:02 PM
I seem to remember Jason White getting quite a bashing when he was just trying to make an NFL Team.

If a guy gets over-hyped and fails to perform in the NFL...

The NFL fans tear them to shreds.

I think were pretty nice compared to most of them.

mrowl
11/6/2006, 08:09 PM
I think Reggie Bush needs to be the one that is looked into.

Yesterday against Tampa Bay, he had 11 rush attempts for -5 yards.

I am still leaning towards Houston made a good choice.

goingoneight
11/6/2006, 08:44 PM
They're all rooks, and I feel that if Radio doesn't sell the Titans on his "Run Vince, Run" offense, he'll certainly be used somehow... the guy despite his failures, has looked great avoiding tacklers in the league. Like Michael Irvin said, I don't think Tennessee needs Vince Young unless they need an interception... Guy's big and elusive enough that he'll pick it up somewhere in the league. Most likely at WR if he flops totally at QB, which is still yet to be seen. Remember, there is a reason Tennessee got such a high draft pick...

sooneron
11/6/2006, 09:18 PM
Where does Norm Chow go after this season?

instigator
11/6/2006, 10:25 PM
Efficiency rating for all NFL QBS thus far for 2006. Uncle Rico's way down there, a few notches behind Seneca Wallace even:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=NFL&year=season_2006&timeframe=ToDate&qualified=0&sort=49&old_category=QB

Look 4 spots below him.

swardboy
11/6/2006, 10:29 PM
Hmmm....Norm Chow having to work with Radio. There is some poetic justice in this....

bixby28
11/7/2006, 09:45 AM
The only thing that kept Jason White from making an NFL roster were his two ruined knees. He was as good a thrower as there was in the country out of college. One of the best Heisman/success stories ever...

TexasLidig8r
11/7/2006, 09:49 AM
TDTW... wow...

Karma is a beyotch.. Never forget that.

As an aside, this is Michael Vick's 6th year in the league. In the first 5 years, GMs and scouts were saying, he will never be an NFL quarterback, he should be a running back. etc. etc. And now...he is finally catching on...

Perhaps a little tapping of the brakes is in order and give your "I Hate Everything About Texas" a rest a bit. :rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/7/2006, 10:00 AM
The NFL is turning into the NBA. They are drafting people for 3 years down the road. The problem being that right when the player is getting good, they suddenly become a free agent and basically you have groomed a guy for absolutely no reason

colleyvillesooner
11/7/2006, 10:08 AM
TDTW... wow...

As an aside, this is Michael Vick's 6th year in the league. In the first 5 years, GMs and scouts were saying, he will never be an NFL quarterback, he should be a running back. etc. etc. And now...he is finally catching on...

They were saying that cause he had two good back to back passing games. Too bad he threw for 163 yards and 2 INT's in a 16 point loss to the Lions. He's not gonna be a great NFL QB either.

jwlynn64
11/7/2006, 10:38 AM
In all fairness to Vick and Radio, most NFL quarterbacks are not going to be great and most of those will not even be good. It's the hardest position on the field and NFL defenses are all good.

colleyvillesooner
11/7/2006, 10:41 AM
In all fairness to Vick and Radio, most NFL quarterbacks are not going to be great and most of those will not even be good. It's the hardest position on the field and NFL defenses are all good.

True, but Vick was hyped as the guy that would revolutionize the QB position.

Tear Down This Wall
11/7/2006, 10:57 AM
TDTW... wow...

Perhaps a little tapping of the brakes is in order and give your "I Hate Everything About Texas" a rest a bit. :rolleyes:

Really, two games of Vick's balanced out versus the rest of his roller coaster career = "he is finally catching on"?

Come on, Lid. You're smarter than this. I stood in here for years and took crap for saying Heupel and White wouldn't make it. I'm not being a homer here. Young isn't going to be an NFL QB, even in an NFL so void of QB talent that Seneca Wallace is second on someone's depth chart.

I'll eat my words, change my mind, etc. if some like Michael Vick ever wins a Super Bowl. It just won't happen. The NFL defenses are too fast. Gimmicky doesn't win in the NFL, whether it's the Run and Shoot or the "Mobile Quarterback" fad.

My guess is that Tom Brady can't out run his own mother, and he's got three Super Bowl rings. Ditto Troy Aikman.

Tear Down This Wall
11/7/2006, 11:02 AM
(Bye the way, the second picture of Vince tackling the guy would make excellent fark material and such)

bluedogok
11/7/2006, 11:04 AM
Also QB's drafted early usually go to bad teams and there are many reasons other than the QB that they are bad with the Titans and Cards being right down there. Bad O-Lines can do in any QB, look at Carr and Bledsoe and even Marino once the mid 80's line retired. I think Lienart stands a better chance of being a good QB if he gets a line, VY I think will be a serviceable QB and play a long time baring injury but I don't think he will be a top-level QB....but none of them will even have a shot if the overall teams don't improve.

TexasLidig8r
11/7/2006, 11:06 AM
Really, two games of Vick's balanced out versus the rest of his roller coaster career = "he is finally catching on"?

Come on, Lid. You're smarter than this. I stood in here for years and took crap for saying Heupel and White wouldn't make it. I'm not being a homer here. Young isn't going to be an NFL QB, even in an NFL so void of QB talent that Seneca Wallace is second on someone's depth chart.

I'll eat my words, change my mind, etc. if some like Michael Vick ever wins a Super Bowl. It just won't happen. The NFL defenses are too fast. Gimmicky doesn't win in the NFL, whether it's the Run and Shoot or the "Mobile Quarterback" fad.

My guess is that Tom Brady can't out run his own mother, and he's got three Super Bowl rings. Ditto Troy Aikman.

Take into account the talent level surrounding the QBs as well. Does Aikman win any Super Bowls without Emmitt and Irvin and the Cowbags offensive line and the playmakers on defense? Probably not.

Does Bradshaw win any Super Bowls without the Steel Curtain? Probably not.

Then, look at the talent, or lack thereof, surrounding Vince. There's a pretty good reason why Tennessee had the 3rd pick in the draft last year.. and Fisher is looked upon as a pretty good coach too.

Now, will Vince make it big in the No Fun League? Who knows.. the odds are stacked against him since most college quarterbacks never make it big. To take such joy in his completely expected rookie stats and mistakes though,,, you're better than that counselor.

Besides.. the NFL succs big green donkey wienies.

CobraKai
11/7/2006, 11:14 AM
Also QB's drafted early usually go to bad teams and there are many reasons other than the QB that they are bad with the Titans and Cards being right down there. Bad O-Lines can do in any QB, look at Carr and Bledsoe and even Marino once the mid 80's line retired. I think Lienart stands a better chance of being a good QB if he gets a line, VY I think will be a serviceable QB and play a long time baring injury but I don't think he will be a top-level QB....but none of them will even have a shot if the overall teams don't improve.

I don't really see it this way. Personally I think VY will be either a superstar or a flat-out bust of Mandarich proportions. I don't see him being a serviceable Trent Green win 9 games type of guy. He is a high risk, high reward guy that throws sidearm and carries the ball like a loaf of bread, but he is also an amazing athlete. Right now he is horrible...one of the worst starting QBs in the league. I think he either stays that way, or he figures out a way to unleash teh beast so to speak and become a star. Personally I'll stick with my pre-draft prediction that he will be a great WR some day.

Tear Down This Wall
11/7/2006, 11:18 AM
Besides.. the NFL succs big green donkey wienies.

Agreed...especially after watching the Oakland/Seattle "game" last night. I really, really have got to start drawing the line. Not all football "games" are football games.

I never, ever in my wildest dreams imagined I could feel pity for guys like Randy Moss and Warren Sapp. But, after watching Oakland last night....

bluedogok
11/7/2006, 11:22 AM
I was thinking VY was more along the lines of a career backup level, not anywhere near the Trent Green level, maybe serviceable backup is what I should have said because there are some that you still wonder why they are in the league. Not a bad way to get paid though.

RFH Shakes
11/7/2006, 12:38 PM
I kind of see him as a Kordell Stewart type. Might have some good games but in the long run just won't be consistent enough to be a NFL QB.

Soonerchaz
11/7/2006, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is so eager to see him fail.:confused: Sure, when he was with Texas I wanted him to lose every game except for one but my dislike for Texas doesn't carry over into the NFL.

I guess I live by the philosophy of don't hope for success by wishing failure on others. Seems like there is a lot of wishing for the failure of others going on here.

Amen. I wish him all the success in the world and I think he'll eventually be a solid QB.

One of the cool things about the NFL (at least from a college football fan perspective) is to see former college rivals on the same team. I'm sure they have fun with it from time to time...but I would imagine those sour feelings from their college days eventually go away. Multi-million dollar contracts can do that. :)

fwsooner22
11/7/2006, 01:24 PM
To all of you...........Vince Young does not play against us anymore...........Give it a rest...........From what I can tell he is a pretty decent guy and done with trying to kick our butts............we took it to him all but 1 time...........let it be a memory........and a good one at that....just sayin