PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone suggest to me someone....

LilSooner
11/6/2006, 03:09 PM
who can fix the ac adapter on the back of my laptop. It has come lose and the connection is no bueno. It's gonna crap out soon I know.

If someone know someone good with a saudering iron I would be greatly appreciative.

Ike
11/6/2006, 03:30 PM
I've performed this operation on my own laptop twice now.

Let me guess. Toshiba Satellite?

Also, if you are getting the blinking lights of death, don't just try to wiggle it around to get a good connection. it can screw up other hardware on the computer to have the power going in and out too often.

LilSooner
11/6/2006, 03:33 PM
DING DING DING

I will never buy another toshiba this has happend to the last two laptops.

Ike
11/6/2006, 03:35 PM
Also, I don't know anyone specific that could do this for you in OK. If you want to wait until I come down for christmas, I'd be happy to do it for you for the price of a six pack of shiner bock. But if you want to keep using the laptop, I would recommend getting it fixed ASAP. The soldering itself isn't so difficult. the toughest part is the desoldering.

Ike
11/6/2006, 03:38 PM
DING DING DING

I will never buy another toshiba this has happend to the last two laptops.

Apparently, toshiba has fixed this on its newer line laptops. After the second time I did this repair, a secondary problem (other hardware damage) presented itself which forced me to get a new motherboard. On the new motherboard, the power jack was not only soldered on, but held with some epoxy all around it. so far (4 months) I haven't had a problem with this.

LilSooner
11/6/2006, 03:39 PM
The bad thing is this is the second time I am having it done. I took it over to moore/norman technology center and they fixed it, but it has come undo again. And I haven't been unplugging it either.

I will probably have to have it done before christmas.

LilSooner
11/6/2006, 03:40 PM
Apparently, toshiba has fixed this on its newer line laptops. After the second time I did this repair, a secondary problem (other hardware damage) presented itself which forced me to get a new motherboard. On the new motherboard, the power jack was not only soldered on, but held with some epoxy all around it. so far (4 months) I haven't had a problem with this.

How much is a new mother board? I have been having lots of problems with over heating and the like. I bought this laptop 3 years ago and really don't want to have to buy another one just to play on.

LilSooner
11/6/2006, 03:42 PM
Oh and its a A65 Satellite.

Scott D
11/6/2006, 03:47 PM
How much is a new mother board? I have been having lots of problems with over heating and the like. I bought this laptop 3 years ago and really don't want to have to buy another one just to play on.

cooling pads can help with that, sometimes.

Ike
11/6/2006, 03:47 PM

The cost depends on the specific satellite model you own. replacing the motherboard will not help the overheating issues (other than maybe forcing you to clean out all the dust). That is most likely due to a dirty heat sink. Some models of the satellite have heat sinks that are very prone to dust buildup, which hinder the heat sink from doing its job of moving the heat out of your laptop. It could also be due to a bad thermal coupling between the heat sink and the CPU.

But that aside, my new motherboard was purchased from national parts depot, the company that toshiba recommends. They have 2 options. Purchase a new mobo outright (cost for mine, ~$500). Or trade in your own mobo for a new one. They ship you the new one (for me ~$600) and then when you ship your old one back, they refund you about half the cost (so I wound up paying about 300 bucks for the new laptop, instead of about 500).

Ike
11/6/2006, 03:50 PM
Oh, one other thing: Have you kept your BIOS up to date? I just did a search on your model and overheating and found this support bulletin:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=977214

In extremely rare instances, your Satellite A60/A65 computer may experience overheating that could result in the deformation of the plastic casing on the upper right hand corner of the computer. The overheating and deformation occur only when the notebook is booting or resuming from standby or hibernation, and can be avoided by installing BIOS ver. 1.70, which was released on October 22, 2004, or a later version.

Below is a list of Satellite A60/A65 serial numbers which could potentially be affected by this issue. If the serial number of your Satellite A60/A65 doesn't match the patterns listed below, your notebook computer is not affected by this issue.

64******
74******
84******
94******

LilSooner
11/6/2006, 03:53 PM
Yep and it's not working anymore. I think this is about to just crap out. I may just go buy a cheap walmart one. I only use if for messing around on the internets and paying bills.

Mjcpr
11/6/2006, 03:55 PM
You might check into a desktop if that's all you're going to use it for....they're much cheaper.

LilSooner
11/6/2006, 04:15 PM
Yeah but then I can't sit on the couch and watch television.

Although our new houes has a built in desk in the second livingroom.