PDA

View Full Version : Jumping over the line?

Pride Baritone
11/6/2006, 10:55 AM
Whatever happened to tailbacks jumping over the line for a TD or first down on extreme short yardage situations (like the one against aTm)? Was a rule put in place against this sort of play or has it just fallen out of popularity?

yermom
11/6/2006, 11:05 AM
still seems popular in the SEC

Tulsa_Fireman
11/6/2006, 11:08 AM
Webster's Dictionary says,

Jumping Over The Line Of Scrimmage - v. see Hines Ward

bixby28
11/6/2006, 04:55 PM
They just don't make them tailbacks as good as they used to...

Lineman keep getting taller? I dunno...

Boomer.....
11/6/2006, 05:03 PM
More injuries that way.

Rhino
11/6/2006, 05:34 PM

Jumping Over The Line Of Scrimmage - v. see Hines Ward heh.

snp
11/6/2006, 05:40 PM

Jumping Over The Line Of Scrimmage - v. see Hines Ward

Beat me to it.

It's a dangerous and risky play for lots of reasons. Surely you follow football so you can see why they don't do it all the time.

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2006, 06:26 PM
Fackin' David Carr did it yesterday in the Texans' game. Fackin' David Carr, people!

OUMallen
11/6/2006, 06:30 PM
You're taking the ball backward to hand it off. Also:

The offensive lineman can either a) block well or b) block poorly.

In the case he blocks poorly, the play is probably blown up no matter what you do.

However, even if he blocks well, during the extra time it takes to hand the ball off and hit the hole, that good block can be overcome, or the LBs/DBs have time to adjust and plug the hole. A sneak negates the ability of the LBs/DBs to read the play and get to the hole in time. So, assuming my assumptions, it's better to sneak it.

Of course, if you need a whole yard or more, at that point you're probably better to have extra momentum and take your chances getting stood up than it is to lean and pray for excellent push from the OL.

IronSooner
11/6/2006, 06:39 PM
I think the line-vaulting play fell out of favor around the same time as the legalization of the forward pass. ;)

CtheB
11/6/2006, 11:36 PM
I think current coaching tells the backs they have more than one way to get in the end zone if they keep their feet.

GottaHavePride
11/6/2006, 11:45 PM
You gotta keep the feets.