PDA

View Full Version : Do not count out the Fiesta Bowl...

Soonerus
11/6/2006, 01:03 AM
...Im just saying...it's in Tempe while the MNC game is in Chandler....

AustinTXHorn
11/6/2006, 01:27 AM
No, the Fiesta Bowl and MNC game will both be at the new Cardinals stadium.

GottaHavePride
11/6/2006, 01:37 AM
Don't count out the Fiesta Bowl for what? Existing? Being in Arizona? I am confused.

Octavian
11/6/2006, 01:38 AM
An at-large isn't impossible....the extra BCS game helps our chances a lot.

Bowl committees look for traveling fanbases and high tv ratings...Oklahoma would produce both.

But...we'll need a few of the 1-loss teams to lose and Texas to win the BigXII (a combination that could put them in the NCG).

For that not to happen, I'd gladly freeze my *** off in a frigid Cotton Bowl seat at 10am while fighting through a New Year's Eve hangover.

Octavian
11/6/2006, 01:40 AM
it also doesn't help us that Gordon Riese is Lucifer's spawn, and the pollsters don't seem to care.

Soonerus
11/6/2006, 01:42 AM
I am sorry the Insight Bowl will be in Tempe now....

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2006, 02:09 AM
...Im just saying...it's in Tempe while the MNC game is in Chandler....

For OU to play in the Fiesta, either Texas has to go to the national championship game or OU has to win the Big 12.

I don't think there's a chance in hell of either happening.

tommieharris91
11/6/2006, 02:19 AM
For OU to play in the Fiesta, either Texas has to go to the national championship game or OU has to win the Big 12.

I don't think it's out of the question, especially since only two teams can go to BCS bowls from each conference. That said, Notre Dame needs to get exposed as overrated (again) before SUC puts them in their place. Also, Boise State needs to lose a game.

Nike and Gordon Riese owe us a $12 million check.

Soonerus
11/6/2006, 02:19 AM
I am talking about the Insight Bowl in Tempe.....

Fraggle145
11/6/2006, 03:22 AM
I don't think it's out of the question, especially since only two teams can go to BCS bowls from each conference. That said, Notre Dame needs to get exposed as overrated (again) before SUC puts them in their place. Also, Boise State needs to lose a game.

Nike and Gordon Riese owe us a $12 million check.

What we really need is for Boise St. to Lose!

Think about it 10 spots, Big 10 champ, Big XII champ, ACC champ, Pac 10 champ, Big East champ, SEC champ and 4 at large. so tOSU, Texas, whoever comes out of that ACC mess (Wake?! :eek: ), Louisville, whoever comes out of that SEC mess (Arkansas?! :eek: ), USC/Cal winner, Mich (@ large 1), 2nd SEC team (UF? :mad: ), Boise St if they qualify, 2nd team from Big XII (OU :D ) or 2nd team from Pac 10 (USC/Cal loser) or Big East 2nd (WVa).

Boise Loses then it frees a spot for us to get in for sure... In my mind anyway

:pop:

tommieharris91
11/6/2006, 03:32 AM
Mainstream media will tell you you're forgetting Notre Dame. They'll get a bid even if they lose out.

Fraggle145
11/6/2006, 04:05 AM
Mainstream media will tell you you're forgetting Notre Dame. They'll get a bid even if they lose out.

Sorry I forgot about the Elephant in the room.. they will be a two loss team too I think with USC beating them... All I know is that to qualify to play you have to win your conference or have 9 wins AND be in the top 14 of the BCS. If they lose to SC it is possible for us to jump them. They are only automatic if they make into the BCS top 8

Fraggle145
11/6/2006, 04:08 AM
http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/faq

What is different about the 2006 BCS?

Among the new policies instituted for 2006 will be these: 1. There will be five BCS games, rather than four. So ten teams will participate in the BCS, rather than eight. The fifth game will be new BCS National Championship Game, to be in Glendale, Arizona.
2. The Fiesta Bowl committee will host two BCS games: the traditional Fiesta Bowl on January 1, and the BCS National Championship Game on January 8.
3. The Fiesta Bowl will move from its longtime home at Arizona State University's Sun Devil Stadium to the new stadium in Glendale. The Sugar Bowl will return home to New Orleans.
4. In addition to the champions of the six conferences that have annual automatic access, one other conference champion will earn an automatic BCS bid if (1) it finishes in the top 12 in the BCS standings or if (2) it is finishes in the top 16 in the BCS standings and its ranking is higher than that of a conference champion that has an annual automatic berth. Previously, such a champion was eligible if it finished in the top six.
5. Notre Dame will automatically qualify for a BCS berth if it finishes in the top eight in the BCS standings. Previously, Notre Dame qualified if it (1) finished in the top six or (2) either finished in the top ten or won nine or more games and a team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference or the Western Athletic Conference finished in the top six of the BCS standings.
6. A team is eligible to be considered for an at-large berth in the BCS if it has won at least nine regular-season games and finishes in the top 14 in the final BCS standings. Previously, teams finishing in the top 12 were eligible.