PDA

View Full Version : Political Ad Weekend = Craptacular!

Rogue
11/5/2006, 02:44 PM
Here in Tennessee we have a huge senate race between Harold Ford, Jr. (D) and Bob Corker (R). There has been mud-slingin', baby-kissin', hand-shakin', and some controversial stuff from both sides. :hot:

Both parties and candidates are playing so many commercials that it's making my head spin. 30 seconds for this guy, 30 seconds against same guy, back to back 30 second spots against that guy followed by 30 seconds for that guy followed by 30 seconds for this guy. :confused:

This cycle happens about every 12 minutes on every friggin' channel. I wonder, if we used all the $$ for the 'mercials to feed some homeless folks, buy some body armor for troops, and fix some o' the damn ****-poor schools in Tennessee, would we be better off? Almost certainly. :mad:

HF Jr. finally has a 'mercial that starts out "After Tuesday you won't have to hear me say that I'm Harold Ford Jr. and I've approved this message...". :D

On a bright note, here at the 11th hour there are more and more positive commercials. So many that they are outnumbered by the smear-ads by only about 4:1 now. :rolleyes:

GottaHavePride
11/5/2006, 02:45 PM
I HATE when they get to the kissing hands and shaking babies part of campaigning. Gah.

Mongo
11/5/2006, 02:51 PM
Why do yall hate America?

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2006, 02:52 PM
I HATE when they get to the kissing hands and shaking babies part of campaigning. Gah.

So do they.

In Clean Politics, Flesh Is Pressed, Then Sanitized

By MARK LEIBOVICH
Published: October 28, 2006

WASHINGTON, Oct. 27 — Campaigns are filthy. Not only in terms of last-minute smears and dirty tricks. But also as in germs, parasites and all the bacterial unpleasantness that is spread around through so much glad-handing and flesh-pressing.

Vice President Dick Cheney at a rally in Edinburgh, Ind. At some rallies, he rubs his hands with sanitizer dispensed by an aide out of public view.

“You can’t always get to a sink to wash your hands,” said Anne Ryun, wife of Representative Jim Ryun, Republican of Kansas.

Hands would be the untidy appendages that transmit infectious disease.

Like so many other people involved in politics these days, Mrs. Ryun has become obsessive about using hand sanitizer and ensuring that others do, too. She squirted Purell, the antiseptic goop of choice on the stump and self-proclaimed killer of “99.99 percent of most common germs that may cause illness,” on people lined up to meet Vice President Dick Cheney this month at a fund-raiser in Topeka.

When Mr. Cheney was done meeting and greeting, he, too, rubbed his hands vigorously with the stuff, dispensed in dollops by an aide when the vice president was out of public view.

That has become routine in this peak season of handshaking, practiced by everyone from the most powerful leaders to the lowliest hopefuls. Politics is personal at all levels, and germs do not discriminate. Like chicken dinners and lobbyists, they afflict Democrats and Republicans alike. It would be difficult to find an entourage that does not have at least one aide packing Purell.

Some people find that unseemly in itself.

“It’s condescending to the voters,” said Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico, a Democrat.

A fervent nonuser of hand sanitizer, Mr. Richardson holds the Guinness Book of World Records mark for shaking the most hands over an eight-hour period (13,392, at the New Mexico State Fair in 2002).

Indeed, what message does it send when politicians, the putative leaders in a government by the people, for the people, feel compelled to wipe off the residues of said people immediately after meeting them?

“The great part about politics is that you’re touching humanity,” Mr. Richardson said. “You’re going to collect bacteria just by existing.”

Still, politics can be an especially dirty place to exist.

“Every time you’re with big groups of people, you’re going to be exposed to rhinoviruses, adenoviruses and the viruses that cause gastroenteritis,” said Senator Tom Coburn, an Oklahoma Republican and physician.

Mr. Coburn said he washed his hands whenever possible but did not use any antigerm lotions. Being a doctor, he said, he has been exposed to more bugs and, thus, enjoys greater immunity than most other people.

For what it is worth, Howard Dean, also a doctor and the chairman of the Democratic National Committee, said he did not bother with the stuff, either.

“If you’ve had children, you’re immune to everything,” said Mr. Dean, a father of two.

As with most things, this places Mr. Dean at loggerheads with President Bush.

“Good stuff, keeps you from getting colds,” Mr. Bush raved about hand sanitizer to Senator Barack Obama, Democrat of Illinois, at a White House encounter early last year.

Mr. Obama, who recounts the episode in his new book, says that after rubbing a blob of it on his own hands, the president offered him some, which he accepted (“not wanting to appear unhygienic.”)

Mr. Obama has since started carrying Purell in his traveling bag, a spokesman said.

It is not clear when politicians became so awash in the gel. In one semifamous cleanliness lapse in the 1992 presidential campaign, Bill Clinton, who had just shaken dozens of hands at a tavern in Boston, was handed a pie but no fork on his way to the car. The ravenous Mr. Clinton promptly devoured it using his unwashed hand. He eventually became a serious user of hand wipes and lotions at the urging of his doctor, an aide said.

Senator John McCain, Republican of Arizona, said he learned about hand sanitizer from observing Senator Bob Dole’s abundant use of it in his 1996 presidential run. Mr. McCain remains vigilant today.

“I use it all the time,” he said through a representative. “I carry it with me in my briefcase.”

Purell, which is made by GOJO Industries of Akron, Ohio, came on the market as a consumer product in 1997 and became popular in campaign vans, holding rooms and traveling bags in the 2000 campaign. Donald Trump, the billionaire germophobe who contemplated running for president, even distributed little bottles of it to reporters.

“One of the curses of American society is the simple act of shaking hands,” Mr. Trump wrote in his book “Comeback.” “I happen to be a clean-hands freak.”

Al Gore is, too. He turned his running mate, Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, onto sanitizer in 2000, and Mr. Lieberman became an evangelist.

“He said it was one thing he learned from Gore,” said an aide to Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, Rebecca Kirszner, who became a popular dispenser of Purell on a senatorial trip to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Mr. Richardson said that if he ran for president, as he is considering, he had no intention of conforming to the norms of his antiseptic peers.

“I just won’t use the sanitizer,” he said. “I’ve been offered it, but I’ve turned it down.”

This positions Mr. Richardson as the early hygienic maverick of 2008.“I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty,” he said.

King Crimson
11/5/2006, 02:58 PM
it's always the masses who are unwashed, apparently.

Rogue
11/5/2006, 02:58 PM
Why do yall hate America?

Some of the ads here are so simplistic that seem condescending and insulting to anyone who can read. I prefer the optimistic messages about what you can do for me, not how big a turd the other guy is/was.

Begging your pardon, it is precisely because I love America that I expect better. Previous comments about the state of Tennessee schools notwithstanding, of course.;)

Mongo
11/5/2006, 03:06 PM
Some of the ads here are so simplistic that seem condescending and insulting to anyone who can read. I prefer the optimistic messages about what you can do for me, not how big a turd the other guy is/was.

Begging your pardon, it is precisely because I love America that I expect better. Previous comments about the state of Tennessee schools notwithstanding, of course.;)

Oh, I agree, I was being an ***. The days of presenting one's credentials and future plans have gave way to belittling your opponent.

"Vote for me, cause the other guy blows dogs for quarters"

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2006, 03:19 PM
it's always the masses who are unwashed, apparently.
When I was a Junior in HS I went to this thing called Presidential Classroom in D.C. with 400 other students and during the week the Democratic Party unrolled its legislative agenda for the upcoming year in a press conference at the Library of Congress. PC managed to get 40 tickets to this thing, and my friend and I were two that got chosen.

Anyway, Clinton shows up to this thing and gives a short speech and then goes around shaking our hands. Afterward my friend turns to me and says jokingly, "we should go wash our hands we don't know where he's been..." And I said, "no we know damned well where he's been and that's exactly why we need to wash them."

I thought that was funny at the time but maybe you had to be there.

Rogue
11/5/2006, 07:12 PM
[Bob Dole's Voice] Bob Dole prefers Germ-X hand sanitizer. [/Bob Dole's Voice]

Vaevictis
11/5/2006, 07:52 PM
The Dem ads against Sykes here in Oklahoma are disgusting.

"Oh no! He defended a rapist. And a child molester. And a meth dealer! He just doesn't represent Oklahoma values!"

Dude was a public defender. Of course he defended those people. Welcome to America, where you have a right to a lawyer.

Scott D
11/5/2006, 07:57 PM
Oh, I agree, I was being an ***. The days of presenting one's credentials and future plans have gave way to belittling your opponent.

"Vote for me, cause the other guy blows dogs for quarters"

Did you know that in the past four years Mongo missed 217 votes in the state legislature..TWO-HUNDRED-AND-SEVENTEEN. Is that the kind of voice that we want representing us in the State Senate? Where was Mongo when jobs were leaving the district....on the golf course. Where was Mongo when businesses were closing, he was on vacation. It's time that we create change, and put someone who will put our district first. That person is SoonerBorn68...

I'm SoonerBorn68, and I approve this message

:D

mdklatt
11/5/2006, 08:03 PM
People I will not vote for:

The dude who had to get his mother to tell me to vote for him.

The state auditor dude who claims the other state auditor dude can't count to 10.

I'm not in that district, but I wouldn't vote for Mary "I ****ed My Bodyguard" Fallin, who talks about the "sanctity of marriage" without a shred of irony.

Rhino
11/5/2006, 08:08 PM
However, the Ford/Corker race brought us this gem:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cWkrwENN5CQ

Harry Beanbag
11/5/2006, 08:09 PM
I'm really going to miss these politicians calling me a couple of times every day. George Bush calls me at least once a week. John McCain rings every few days. Jon Kyl and J.D. Hayworth want to talk to me every other day. I just talked with Rudy Giuliani last night.

mdklatt
11/5/2006, 08:12 PM
I'm really going to miss these politicians calling me a couple of times every day. George Bush calls me at least once a week. John McCain rings every few days. Jon Kyl and J.D. Hayworth want to talk to me every other day. I just talked with Rudy Giuliani last night.

I guess there are good things about living in this politically meaningless state.

OCUDad
11/5/2006, 08:28 PM
I'm really going to miss these politicians calling me a couple of times every day. George Bush calls me at least once a week. John McCain rings every few days. Jon Kyl and J.D. Hayworth want to talk to me every other day. I just talked with Rudy Giuliani last night.You left out the calls from Hillary. Just what are the two of you planning?

Ike
11/5/2006, 08:42 PM
I get to see an assload of craptastical ads every single commercial break....none of them, except for the gov race, are for anyone I can actually vote for. Neither my own congressman (Hastert) nor his opponent (???) have run a single ad that I have seen. Not. One. I have been innundated with ads for Duckworth and Roskam, who are running in the district right next door. From the ads, I can gather that Roskam is either a bat-**** crazy right wing republican, or a he's a nice sensible guy who will only divulge that he wants to kick out the illegals and not raise taxes. Duckworth fares worse. Depending on the ads I see, she is either a typical tax and spend democrat who wants to just let everyone in, or she's an Iraqi war vet who lost both legs in combat and will vow to question Bush on the war in Iraq. Glad I don't have to choose between those two...I've hardly seen anything positive from either of them, and on the rare occasions that I do, neither of them address any real issues with anything other than a blanket "I'm for (or again') it!"

Our gov race is worse. Blagoevich, the incumbent, is a corrupt *** mofo. There are more investigations of him and his staff than there are of steroids in professional sports. However, he has instituted a couple of really good programs and changes.

the challenger, Topinka, has no record of corruption (yet...this is Illinois afterall), and has publicly stated that she wants to undo the few good things that the current governor has managed to do....She also fell off the ugly tree and hit every single branch and twig on the way down....not that that matters.

I think I may vote for the green party candidate in the gov race...He has no chance of winning (thank god), but I shudder when I think about giving my vote to either Blaggy or Topinka.

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2006, 09:15 PM
I sent the list of candidates I'm voting for out on myspace.
I've got to drive home though to vote; because, I forgot to apply for a damned absentee this year.

OCUDad
11/5/2006, 09:53 PM
I have been innundated with ads for Duckworth and Roskam, who are running in the district right next door. From the ads, I can gather that Roskam is either a bat-**** crazy right wing republican, or a he's a nice sensible guy who will only divulge that he wants to kick out the illegals and not raise taxes. Duckworth fares worse. Depending on the ads I see, she is either a typical tax and spend democrat who wants to just let everyone in, or she's an Iraqi war vet who lost both legs in combat and will vow to question Bush on the war in Iraq.Ike, this a serious question: did Roskam really run ads calling Duckworth a "cut-and-run Democrat"? Or is this just a cruel rumor?

Rogue
11/5/2006, 10:09 PM
I voted for the Green Party candidate for Governor in TN too.
Howard Switzter. Pretty much an old hippie that walks the Green Party walk so at least he's consistent.

StoopTroup
11/5/2006, 10:09 PM
However, the Ford/Corker race brought us this gem:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cWkrwENN5CQ
I believe it said the REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE was responsible for the content of that one.

Just thought we'd make it clear who was smearing...:D

Rogue
11/5/2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah, Corker came out with a statement against it after the initial flap. If you try to convince me that he didn't know or that his lame statement wasn't pre-recorded "just in case" I'll laugh my *** off too.

Vaevictis
11/5/2006, 10:14 PM
Ike, this a serious question: did Roskam really run ads calling Duckworth a "cut-and-run Democrat"? Or is this just a cruel rumor?

C'mon, that really is kind of funny. Morbid, sick and in just plain awful taste. But funny if you can get past all that.

1stTimeCaller
11/5/2006, 10:17 PM

"Oh no! He defended a rapist. And a child molester. And a meth dealer! He just doesn't represent Oklahoma values!"

Dude was a public defender. Of course he defended those people. Welcome to America, where you have a right to a lawyer.

That's my favorite ad. I'm not registered in OK but if I was I'd vote for Sykes.

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2006, 10:20 PM
I wish I was ignorant.

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2006, 10:21 PM

That's pretty stupid, all right.

GrapevineSooner
11/5/2006, 11:05 PM
Only 45 more hours to go.

Unless you're Mike. ;)

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2006, 11:15 PM
:mad:

I'm going to go ahead and vote absentee tomorrow.

Rhino
11/6/2006, 12:00 AM
So, on KFOR, they just had a piece about this commercial that's running about the DA race.

The commercial is for Wes Lane and shows a grandmother of a child that was sexually assaulted by a teacher. She goes on talking about how David Prater was the public defender for the teacher on that case and how awful that is (apparently defending the public doesn't mean defending the bad ones).

Anyway, turns out Prater wasn't the attorney on that case and only was consulted on the case. KFOR talked to the grandma and she said she was misled and has personally apologized to Prater for the commercial.

Take one guess what commercial ran the very next commercial break.

Ike
11/6/2006, 01:11 AM
Ike, this a serious question: did Roskam really run ads calling Duckworth a "cut-and-run Democrat"? Or is this just a cruel rumor?

not that I've seen. I'm not a big fan of Roskam, but all I've seen from his side deals with immigration, social security, and taxation...no mention of Iraq, at all, from Roskam that I have seen.

Frozen Sooner
11/6/2006, 01:17 AM
So, here's some fun..

Steele, the Republican running in Maryland has a bunch of bumper stickers printed up that say
STEELE
DEMOCRAT

Claiming that the bumper stickers are for Democrats who want to vote for him-like Clinton Republicans or whatever.

nanimonai
11/6/2006, 02:30 AM
Sometimes I wish we could make it simple and just have a good ol' fashioned totalitarian dictatorship.

Harry Beanbag
11/6/2006, 06:27 AM
You left out the calls from Hillary. Just what are the two of you planning?

She hasn't called me. I'm hurt.

OCUDad
11/6/2006, 12:58 PM
I wish I was ignorant.Your wish has been granted

Scott D
11/6/2006, 03:26 PM
Our gubernatorial race is very amusing....Granholm and the Democrats ads are focusing on DeVos opening a factory in China along with moving some business interests to the Caribbean area. DeVos' and the Republicans are trying to play on fears that the unemployment rate will get higher and that more jobs will either be lost or moved out of the state under Granholm's leadership.

The Senate race is even funnier, and the State Senate ones are out and out hilarious.

My favorite is the battle for Attorney General. On one side we have the incumbent Atty. Gen. who points out a few things he's done as AG. On the other, we have a guy who makes a point of mentioning he's worked on the assembly line, served in the army in Vietnam, and was also a Police Lt. in the City.

LilSooner
11/6/2006, 03:28 PM
If I get one more political call I am going to loose my mind.

Harry Beanbag
11/6/2006, 04:26 PM

OMG. Laura Bush called me this afternoon. :rolleyes: Ridiculous.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/6/2006, 04:46 PM
I remember when I first started voting, you never even heard or saw the names of people running for some of these offices...There wasnt ads for state treasure or state school super...just usually gov and senate races...now EVERYBODY slings dirt at whoever their running against...Its funny hearing guys running for state treasure talk smack-"Vote for Scott Meachem..Howard Barnett likes guys in dresses and loves to be spanked by sumo wrestlers...."

Jimminy Crimson
11/6/2006, 10:37 PM
"Vote for Howard Barnett.. Scott Meachem likes guys in dresses and loves to be spanked by sumo wrestlers...."

FIXED! :D

SicEmBaylor
11/6/2006, 10:50 PM
Do they still have elections for State Superintendent or has Sandy Garrett done away with such a pointless exercise and simply declared herself Educator Supremo for Life.

Jimminy Crimson
11/6/2006, 11:00 PM
Do they still have elections for State Superintendent or has Sandy Garrett done away with such a pointless exercise and simply declared herself Educator Supremo for Life.

Correct. EduDictatorSupreme, Sandy Garrett.

:les:I THOUGHT WE HAD TERM LIMITS IN OKLAHOMA!!!!1!!

Bill Crozier is the R running for State Superintendent. He's pretty bat sh!t crazy, but obviously a better option than SG. I'm thinking about abstaining from that race, though. The party doesn't put any faith in him, b/c he has only raised a couple thousand, if that.

Rhino
11/6/2006, 11:01 PM
Do they still have elections for State Superintendent or has Sandy Garrett done away with such a pointless exercise and simply declared herself Educator Supremo for Life. She is one creepy, winking-at-me lady.

Jimminy Crimson
11/6/2006, 11:02 PM
She has worn the same outfit to (at least) the past 4 inaugurations.

SicEmBaylor
11/6/2006, 11:04 PM
Barbara Staggs ought should/have mount(ed) a primary challenge to SG instead of wasting her time (and the district's) in the legislature.