PDA

View Full Version : PT EXPOSED as mediocre passer?

stoopified
11/5/2006, 01:02 PM
This particular pearl of wisdom comes from Tramel(big surprise).He said that replcing OUr QB in '07 may not be as big a task as PT has been exposed as amediocre passer.

Personally while I do not think ENA (I like the nickname)is NOT an NFL passer,he is far from mediocre.He was ineffective in this game I would agree but circumstances had a lot to do with it.First he didn't throw enough early to get into a groove.much like many runners need several carries to find their rhythm.Secondly he was forced into bad passing situations by playcalling.It seems to me that all of his second half passes were third and long and other obvious passing downs.Third I don't think he got a lot of help from his recievers,getting open and catching passes.Finally while PT did play his worst game,it was just one game.

Mediocre?I don't think so.Average at times,yes even below average on occassion but also superb on several plays and in several games.I still believe in ENA or PT or Paul, whatever name you choose to call him.Mediocre that is alabel I would easily see as describing tramel IMHO.

soonerloyal
11/5/2006, 01:05 PM
Shut yer piehole, Berry. If I want any **** from you, I'll wipe it off your lips.

:cool:

Rogue
11/5/2006, 01:13 PM
PT is a very effective college QB. Beyond that, I can't be objective about him and just look at his stats (which aren't bad at all). He has personified sacrifice and being a team-guy for 5 years. Changing positions, redshirting when it was best for the team, and changing positions again. I'm proud as hell of his OU career.

achiro
11/5/2006, 01:14 PM
First let me say that I am an ENA fan. I respect the guy and am glad he is in there. That said, I went to the colorado game and noticed something that I didn't see from the tv. I wasn't sure if it was just that game or something he does regularly so I went back and watched a few games, you'll see it if you look for it. He doesn't seem to go through his reads much. I don't know if this is intentional and taught this way but it's as if he has the one, maybe two receivers he plans to throw to and that's it. Have you noticed how he will throw into triple coverage sometimes when a couple others are wide open?

His numbers are decent but you have to credit the receivers for a lot of it. Notice how often they have to stop to catch the ball, how often its thrown high( a couple of huge hits on the guys as a result), low, and especially behind the receivers? As I went back and watched the games I also haven't found a long pass completed yet, and the receivers are open...often. I don't get it.

As far as a "groove" I agree to some extent that a qb has to find one and having your guys catch balls that hit them in the hands will help, what about the qb that comes out and completes that long "statement" pass on the first or second play of the game?
Anyway, as I said before I am a huge fan of PT and am glad he is there, he's just not that accurate a passer overall. Whether it's not finding a groove, starting at wr at the begining of the year, or a combination of things I don't know. What I do know is that we have the capability to run the table at this point and I'm pretty sure we will!:D

Ruuuuuufus
11/5/2006, 01:32 PM
Mediocre?I don't think so.Average at times,yes even below average on occassion but also superb on several plays and in several games.

average = mediocre

As a passer, I would have to agree that for the most part, he has been mediocre this year. It's the leadership and decision making that will be harder to replace.

sanantoniosooner
11/5/2006, 01:34 PM
mediocre>bad.

I'll take it.

usmc-sooner
11/5/2006, 01:35 PM
Berry Trammel has been exposed as a mediocre hack, acting like a journalist.

stoopified
11/5/2006, 01:43 PM
Berry Trammel has been exposed as a mediocre hack, acting like a journalist.Yes and where I come from(OKLAHOMA) mediocre is below average.

umberto
11/5/2006, 01:46 PM
average = mediocre

As a passer, I would have to agree that for the most part, he has been mediocre this year. It's the leadership and decision making that will be harder to replace.

I agree with you 100%. His leadership and command of the offense make up for his mediocre passing. He doesn't have the passing skills of the guys that came before him, but he definitely grasps the leadership part.

rhombic21
11/5/2006, 01:48 PM
By OU standards, PT is a mediocre passer.

He's a great leader and he's the ultimate team player, but his passing ability is mediocre by big time college football standards.

He's not bad, and he's played pretty well given his situation, but I tend to agree that it may not be that difficult to find somebody who can replicate his on-field performance. The hard part will be to find somebody who can give us the leadership that he does.

I was a pretty big PT fan to start the year, and I thought that he played pretty well early on, but he's put together a few games in a row now where he's been less than sharp.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/5/2006, 01:49 PM
The 1 or 2 read thing is most likely more due to the fact that he hasn't been full time qb for what 3 or 4 months now. It takes rythem and comfort to get deeper into reads and unfortunately Paul is relatively inexperienced at making long reads. Bomar didn't make many reads last year either. Watch Jason White when he was young and he usuallly had 2 options then tuck and run. Older Jason went through his progressions. PT isn't a great qb, but he is a great leader, a great Sooner, and a GREAT role model for Bradford and Haizle. I will take average PT over some amazingly talented asshat that doesn't appreciate the gift's he was given.

Widescreen
11/5/2006, 01:51 PM
He's a very inconsistent passer and he holds on to the ball way too long (see the fumble last night). But we can and do win with him at QB and I think that's all we need this year.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/5/2006, 02:03 PM
I hate to tell Barry Trammel how to do his job..but he needs to go **** himself

Scott D
11/5/2006, 02:05 PM
I heard he tried once...but it's difficult when your willy is the size of a grain of rice.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/5/2006, 02:07 PM
But he was hell of a pro qb!!!

Zbird
11/5/2006, 03:15 PM
ENA is a good role player and a "do what you're told" QB. This is what the OC wants in a college QB. Last night, the Ag secondary was dropping off to stop the passing game and force us to run on them without AD. KW knew that AP & Gute would run free against that situation, so ENA wasn't allowed to throw except under (predictable & less than desireable )long yardage situations after the first half of the 1st Q. That's my take anyway and now I'll relinquish my coaches visor to the rest of you recliner riding geniuses.

StoopTroup
11/5/2006, 03:19 PM
Yes and where I come from(OKLAHOMA) mediocre is below average.
So let me sum this up...lol...

"Berry Tramel is a BELOW AVERAGE HACK!"

sanantoniosooner
11/5/2006, 03:23 PM
So let me sum this up...lol...
you hide a lot of hostility behind that "lol"

between the post and the sig......;)

mightysooner
11/5/2006, 05:53 PM
Tramel is a nerd. Thompson hasn't been mediocre all year and in one game where' he's only given 9 passing plays and suddenly he's exposed as a mediocre passer? I seem to recall 2-3 balls being perfectly on target that didn't get caught. I think maybe it's more Iglesias is a mediocre receiver than it is Thompson is a mediocre passer. Iglesias can't catch.

sooner94
11/5/2006, 08:05 PM
PT is not the most accurate passer, especially on the longer passes. But he is completing 59% of his passes, and his yards per attempt is 7.7 yards (8.0 yards per attempt is what coaches want to get out of the passing game).

Based on those #'s, PT is having a good season from a passing stats perspective, and a great season as a leader of a team that has dealt with a lot of issues.

The play calling for the last 3 quarters was AWFUL, and PT should not be blamed for that. Seemed like KW was content with sitting on a 4 point lead and did not take many risks. Reminded me of the playcalling in the Colorado game, but I understood why we did what we did in the Col game (with the quality of the opponent and the wind conditions).

OUmillenium
11/5/2006, 08:18 PM
First let me say that I am an ENA fan. I respect the guy and am glad he is in there. That said, I went to the colorado game and noticed something that I didn't see from the tv. I wasn't sure if it was just that game or something he does regularly so I went back and watched a few games, you'll see it if you look for it. He doesn't seem to go through his reads much. I don't know if this is intentional and taught this way but it's as if he has the one, maybe two receivers he plans to throw to and that's it. Have you noticed how he will throw into triple coverage sometimes when a couple others are wide open?

His numbers are decent but you have to credit the receivers for a lot of it. Notice how often they have to stop to catch the ball, how often its thrown high( a couple of huge hits on the guys as a result), low, and especially behind the receivers? As I went back and watched the games I also haven't found a long pass completed yet, and the receivers are open...often. I don't get it.

As far as a "groove" I agree to some extent that a qb has to find one and having your guys catch balls that hit them in the hands will help, what about the qb that comes out and completes that long "statement" pass on the first or second play of the game?
Anyway, as I said before I am a huge fan of PT and am glad he is there, he's just not that accurate a passer overall. Whether it's not finding a groove, starting at wr at the begining of the year, or a combination of things I don't know. What I do know is that we have the capability to run the table at this point and I'm pretty sure we will!:D

Well said, I agree with your points. Still love Paul but this is what we get when a staff fails to get quality snaps for backup QBs.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2006, 08:34 PM
So let me sum up the sum up

getting a colonoscopy>reading berry tramel

OUinFLA
11/5/2006, 08:38 PM
Seems to me that PT is dead on when rolling out. Dropping back, not so much. Quick slants, what few there have been would be something I would try to exploit. Roll out passes, heck I'd have one on almost every series.
The quick pass to the flats.....................I'd rip that one out of the playbook.

But then again in my profession, there is no need for a football, so I guess Ill just defer to the guys who get paid about 20 times what I earn to make the decisions.

jdsooner
11/5/2006, 09:46 PM
ENA is a good role player and a "do what you're told" QB. This is what the OC wants in a college QB. Last night, the Ag secondary was dropping off to stop the passing game and force us to run on them without AD. KW knew that AP & Gute would run free against that situation, so ENA wasn't allowed to throw except under (predictable & less than desireable )long yardage situations after the first half of the 1st Q. That's my take anyway and now I'll relinquish my coaches visor to the rest of you recliner riding geniuses.

Very good analysis, from my perspective.

stoopified
11/5/2006, 11:13 PM
for what it is worth Bob said that the run was the emphasis this past week in practice because the running game was the key to beating aTm.He went on to say more time would be spent on the passing game this week.

While I agree PT can be streaky in the passing game there is no way he is a mediocre QB.

westcoast_sooner
11/5/2006, 11:18 PM
I think Zbird nailed it. Last night, PT was asked to throw in situations that were predictable, and had less success than he would have, if he'd been throwing on first and second down more. I'm not holding that against either him, nor KW.

KingDavid
11/6/2006, 12:54 AM
Tramell sux.

jacru
11/6/2006, 01:03 AM
ENA's stats this year are better than Bomar's last year.

stoopified
11/12/2006, 10:46 AM
Tramel was raving about PT's performance aginst TT in last night's game. Of course this proves once again what joke tramel is as he flip-flops from the Paul sucks camp to the, How about that PT guy camp.Not that I blame him 24-31 309 yards,2tds.1pick ,are numbers worth raving about.Especially the second half 12-14 158 yards,1td.This is further proof IMHO that Paul is NOT mediocre as a passer.Streaky he can be but MEDIOCRE?NO WAY.season stats:

147-240 61.3%, 1914 yards,15 TDs/6 ints

Career Stats:

189-313 60.3%,2342 yards, 19 TDs /9 ints
While ENA is no Jason White,I think the stats clearly show that Paul is above average for his career and what he has been asked to do.If Paul stays above 60% he will be only the third QB in OU history to havw a 60% career completion rate (the other two being White and Heupel).

Scott D
11/12/2006, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't say he flip-flops..more like he is very good at doing his job.

stoopified
12/3/2006, 01:33 AM
I wouldn't say he flip-flops..more like he is very good at doing his job.Have you ever actually read his Cr@P?I'm guessing NO.Tonite PT lead us to the Big 12 title with a 19-34,266 yard 2TD performance,capped by an amazing 99.5 yard march.Said march capped the win and was carried almost entirely by PT and his mighty arm.Tramel will undoubtedly sing Paul's praises while remaing entirely oblivious to the fact that he once labeled PT as mediocre.

MissouriSooner
12/3/2006, 01:38 AM
Tramel is a nerd. Thompson hasn't been mediocre all year and in one game where' he's only given 9 passing plays and suddenly he's exposed as a mediocre passer? I seem to recall 2-3 balls being perfectly on target that didn't get caught. I think maybe it's more Iglesias is a mediocre receiver than it is Thompson is a mediocre passer. Iglesias can't catch.
Agreed. He's had enough passes dropped this year that had they been caught his completion percentage and passing yards would be even better than they are. Anybody - read this Tramel - who thinks playing D-I QB is a piece of cake ought to give it a try. Oh, wait a minute, not many journalism majors play major college QB, do they??

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/3/2006, 04:47 AM
To be fair, We had TONS of people on this board who were better D-Coordinators than Brent Venables throughout the year!

PhilTLL
12/3/2006, 05:04 AM
Have you ever actually read his Cr@P?I'm guessing NO.Tonite PT lead us to the Big 12 title with a 19-34,266 yard 2TD performance,capped by an amazing 99.5 yard march.Said march capped the win and was carried almost entirely by PT and his mighty arm.Tramel will undoubtedly sing Paul's praises while remaing entirely oblivious to the fact that he once labeled PT as mediocre.

...but he is very good at his job, which is getting you to read his column, talk about it, and continue to read it.

GeauxSooners
12/3/2006, 05:15 AM
I have a comment about this but for some reason I can't make threads.

I actually made a post on the old boards under the username "BigEasySooner" about thinking ENA was screwed last year after he lost the starting job to Bomar and I was flamed and told I was retarded by the very same people who are lovin ENA today.

I think I owe afew of these peeps an "I Told Ya So."

swardboy
12/3/2006, 07:48 AM
Seems to me that PT is dead on when rolling out. Dropping back, not so much. Quick slants, what few there have been would be something I would try to exploit. Roll out passes, heck I'd have one on almost every series.
The quick pass to the flats.....................I'd rip that one out of the playbook.

But then again in my profession, there is no need for a football, so I guess Ill just defer to the guys who get paid about 20 times what I earn to make the decisions.

A great observation given PT's performance in KC....they must have read your post FL man, 'cause PT was rollin' !!!!!

Scott D
12/3/2006, 07:58 AM
Have you ever actually read his Cr@P?I'm guessing NO.Tonite PT lead us to the Big 12 title with a 19-34,266 yard 2TD performance,capped by an amazing 99.5 yard march.Said march capped the win and was carried almost entirely by PT and his mighty arm.Tramel will undoubtedly sing Paul's praises while remaing entirely oblivious to the fact that he once labeled PT as mediocre.

ok, let me say this in english. You clearly read his article (job 1 accomplished), you talk about his article (job 2 accomplished), you could even possibly write him or his paper a letter regarding his article (job 3 accomplished). You keep the circulation of the paper flowing, ie...given the newspaper a continued reason to keep him employed as a writer for them.

so as I said before, he is very good at his job.