PDA

View Full Version : I take back every bad thing I've said about Venables

usmc-sooner
11/5/2006, 12:21 PM
I was wrong our defense has come to play since Oregon. They saved our *** last night.

Too bad not that many people in front of us lost, we'll only move up to 17. :mad:

Flagstaffsooner
11/5/2006, 12:25 PM
The D has become what was advertised as pre season. Props to BV.

AzianSooner
11/5/2006, 12:36 PM
I only said once about BV. That was BV needed some co-defensive to make a better call. Now, I see Bob involving with the defense call also and suddenly OU defense becoming a stouting one.

fadada1
11/5/2006, 12:43 PM
i'd love to see brent become a "jerry sandusky" (psu assistant under joe pa for about 35 years) under coach stoops. i always like to see someone advance, but i think he'll continue to learn under stoops and become better and better. be nice to see one of those 20 year coordinators at OU.

TUSooner
11/5/2006, 12:47 PM
I was wrong our defense has come to play since Oregon. They saved our *** last night.

Too bad not that many people in front of us lost, we'll only move up to 17. :mad:
I certainly agree about the D; they have been attacking and making bad stuff happen for the other guys. The coolest thing was when we got all over Gushbergers boyfriend Mcgee and made him throw it away or ground it, forcing the niedermeyers into 3rd and 30-ish a couple of times. Also, holding them to FGs instead of TDs in the red zone was obviously crucial.

usmc-sooner
11/5/2006, 12:51 PM
other than Goodson's long run and the 2 BS unsportsmanlike penalties (BS cause they call them both ways) we shut them down to nothing.

cs6000
11/6/2006, 02:00 AM
I'm convinced that sometime after the Oregon game Bob took on a big role in handling the defense. They look totally different now. Too different to think the status quo just started to gel. Not trying to rip Venables, but the defense looks very Stoopish now.

StoopTroup
11/6/2006, 02:49 AM
I'm convinced that sometime after the Oregon game Bob took on a big role in handling the defense. They look totally different now. Too different to think the status quo just started to gel. Not trying to rip Venables, but the defense looks very Stoopish now.
Something has definitely changed.

The D-backs especially Lendy Holmes are doing much better.

I hope we can contain air-Leach and his crew and shut them OUt Saturday.

oumartin
11/6/2006, 09:32 AM
the defense definately looks better and its obvious bob is doing some coaching. thre were a couple times saturday when venebles was looking at bob and bob was giving direction. also, thanks OSU for making me look like a bafoon for picking you to beat the whorns.

trpltongue
11/6/2006, 09:54 AM
It also helps when the same secondary starts in 4 consecutive games. We had been moving people in and out of the defense the first 3 games and since the Texas game we have more or less locked down the secondary. That's also when we started playing better. We have to remember that a lot of these kids are very young and are constantly improving. Watching the A&M game I finally saw Granger come into his own. He had an outstanding game. It all just comes in time.

I agree though that it's nice to see Stoops and BV discussing the defense. Stoops has such experience coaching D, that it'd be a shame to throw it all away and solely stick to head coaching.

JMO

wishbonesooner
11/6/2006, 11:57 AM
"thanks OSU for making me look like a bafoon for picking you to beat the whorns."
You should know better. The budget Aggies are their loser selfs again.

The Maestro
11/6/2006, 12:02 PM
Well, I know I sure appreciate seeing Curtis Lofton on the field the entire game. Don't ever take him off the field for another play as long as he has eligibility and our opponents are on offense.

Blitzkrieg
11/6/2006, 12:40 PM
It's the play on the field, not the "calls" that improved.

StoopTroup
11/6/2006, 12:47 PM
the defense definately looks better and its obvious bob is doing some coaching. thre were a couple times saturday when venebles was looking at bob and bob was giving direction. also, thanks OSU for making me look like a bafoon for picking you to beat the whorns.
Hey now...

They just bought a Hospital and they were very busy last week...

Plus...

You should have known better....

:pop:

Scott D
11/6/2006, 02:56 PM

not practicing against a majorly overmatched scout team, and practicing against the more talented offensive players again can help in that regard.

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2006, 04:09 PM
The props go to Venables or BJW or whomever it was who put the D.J. Wolfe as a cornerback fantasy out to pasture.

They need to move D.J. back to tailback next spring and let him compete for the job there. They owe it to him for putting him on the other side of the ball continually when it was painfully obvious he didn't belong there.

Move the kid back to where he belongs next year and let him whip some as*s.

Rogue
11/6/2006, 06:02 PM
Stoops is apparently leaving the O in KW's hands and helping out where he knows best - on D and in the secondary. D is gettin' better each week and seems to have some of that fire back.

TrophyCollector
11/6/2006, 06:17 PM
Props to all the D coaches and players they have been DOMINATING the last few weeks.

OSUAggie
11/6/2006, 06:21 PM
...thanks OSU for making me look like a bafoon for picking you to beat the whorns.

genius

goingoneight
11/6/2006, 08:00 PM
I never thought the guy needed to be gone, I just thought we seriously needed OUr defense to practice the fundamentals before throwing freshmen out there and expecting them to know Stoops/Venables' complex schemes. I heard a few days after the Oregon game that Bob and BJW focused on tackling and pass coverage, and since then, viola!!! We've turned into the defensive unit I was hoping for. BV even said in an interview recently that he has learned a lot about how to structure and build his unit. Every coach can come around, I new that as long as Stoops was in the house, we wouldn't stink on defense for long...

BV has coached some of the most dominant players in OU's rich history... it's no surprise that he can do it. Even ol' :mack: turned around his "get up and sit on it" style... now him and Stoops are really kind of on a similar level... they recruit well, sell their program's history to the players, they know how and when to gamble, and they know how to adjust when royally getting pwned and turn around a game.

Good jorb OU staff, words can't really express the job you guys continue to do for Oklahoma. If only aggy could grow up and realize the positive things Stoops and OU have done for OUr state.

franklinjake
11/6/2006, 09:44 PM
I agree, I have talked so much smack against BV, but after Oregon, our D has poured it on! Now if players other than our running backs on offense would step up and make consistant big plays, i.e. not drop passes, fail to get onside kicks, drop interceptions, etc.

1991SOONER
11/6/2006, 09:58 PM
Did anyone notice we passed Texas in defense:

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org

I hope this is a trend that continues, and someone should buy Venables a drink or 2.

jwlynn64
11/6/2006, 11:06 PM
Wow, first in the Big XII. Did you notice that the vaunted Blackshirt are the third worst in the North?

Also, Tech rates better than A & M. We better be on our A game this week.

1991SOONER
11/6/2006, 11:23 PM
Wow, first in the Big XII. Did you notice that the vaunted Blackshirt are the third worst in the North?

Also, Tech rates better than A & M. We better be on our A game this week.

Yeah, but if you notice that techs run defense is ranked low which is what we are doing well at now. Plus, I hope its really windy Saturday. I don't think we're going to have a problem with tech.

letsroll
11/6/2006, 11:36 PM
i think we really started getting better when the defense 1's practiced more against the offense 1's our intensity level has really picked up

tbl
11/6/2006, 11:42 PM
I think everybody was justified in criticizing the D during the non-conf schedule. However they have made good adjustments and have really stepped up. Good stuff...

StoopTroup
11/6/2006, 11:49 PM
Did anyone notice we passed Texas in defense:

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org

I hope this is a trend that continues, and someone should buy Venables a drink or 2.
Heh.

Checkout Florida Int'l at #17. 0-8 for the year.

I give them 1-7. I think they got the best of Miami.

And that North Texas game in 7 overtimes...it was close...

They could very well be 2-7...

:pop:

birddog
11/6/2006, 11:53 PM
5 of the big 10 are #83 or worse.

Texas Golfer
11/7/2006, 12:02 AM
The defense is finally living up to the preseason hype.

StoopTroup
11/7/2006, 12:04 AM
#1 in the Big XII right now.

WTG D!