PDA

View Full Version : Great read on Bob vs Fran

OUinFLA
11/5/2006, 07:27 AM
My SanAntonio Sports (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA110506.16C.COL.FBCfinger.aggies.36d3250.html)

direct link doesnt seem to work, sorry

Mike Finger: With no guts, Franchione doesn't get any glory

Web Posted: 11/05/2006 12:29 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

COLLEGE STATION — Bob Stoops smiled as he approached his adversary at midfield, then put his arm around Dennis Franchione and whispered a few words of encouragement into his ear.

This is what all good gamblers do.
They always make sure the suckers keep coming back for more.

If Saturday night's showdown at Kyle Field was a poker game, Stoops was the seasoned card shark who knew exactly when to take the risk that would make his opponent flinch. And Fran was the sweaty-palmed mark who came so close to going all-in before losing his nerve.

Oh, Fran had Stoops and the Oklahoma Sooners in trouble, all right. Twice in the final eight minutes of OU's 17-16 victory over Texas A&M, the Aggies had a chance to go for a touchdown that would have either tied the score or given them a lead.

But faced with fourth-and-goal from the OU 2, Fran sent out his field-goal kicker.

And then, given a fourth-and-6 from the OU 22 with only 3:30 remaining, only one timeout left and the daunting new timekeeping rules in effect? Fran chose to kick again.

If he was trying to beat the spread, he did a bang-up job. But as far as beating Stoops?

He had the chips, and he had the cards.

But not the guts.

Fran would say later that "hindsight's 20-20," but this had nothing to do with hindsight.

This was about foresight, which 80,000 maroon-clad fans had when they were urging the Aggies to go for it, and which Stoops had when he sent his offense onto the field for a cold-blooded, game-clinching fourth-and-inches conversion with 1:29 left.

Had Stoops' gamble not worked, it would have meant almost certain disaster for the Sooners.

A&M would have taken over at the OU 30, already within field-goal range.

Stoops said his first impulse was to punt, which would have been the safe, Fran-like move. Then he reconsidered.

"I looked at all the offensive guys in their eyes," Stoops said, "then I thought, 'I can't punt it.'"

It was the kind of decision that can make a coach's reputation, if not provide job security. Only one coach is hearing catcalls from his fan base today, and it isn't the one who gambled.

How fundamentally different are Fran and Stoops? Even after OU had decided to go for it on fourth down, even after Sooners quarterback Paul Thompson had tipped his hand on a play that didn't count because of a timeout, Fran still didn't believe Stoops would go through with it. That's why Chad Schroeder was still on the field to catch a punt that would never come and why the Aggies were flagged for having 12 men on the field when OU converted the game-clinching fourth down.

It would be different if this was the first time. But Fran also had a chance to show some gumption last season in Norman, and his decisions then looked a lot like the ones he made Saturday.

A year ago, the Aggies twice faced fourth-quarter fourth downs inside the OU 20, and both times they settled for field goals. A&M lost 36-30.

Taken one by one, none of those decisions were absolutely horrible.

But when you add them all together and start to notice that all the courage is on one side of the poker table?

Good gamblers notice.

That's why Fran is welcome at Stoops' game any time.

Taxman71
11/5/2006, 07:44 AM
Sounds like the Fran watch is back on.

soonerloyal
11/5/2006, 08:48 AM
Man! The media sure is ragging on Franchy. You'd think they'd give him some credit for all the loyalty he shows his teams, and for the wins he's had over Oklahoma.

Oh, wait...:rolleyes:

LoyalFan
11/5/2006, 08:52 AM
Once in a blue moon, The San Antonio Excuse-4-News comes up with a good one. This was one such.

LF
Temporarily Gruntled in San Antonio

Flagstaffsooner
11/5/2006, 10:46 AM
Nice read. Coach once again shows he has a big sack.

rb585
11/5/2006, 10:58 AM
I don't know if I completely agree.

Fran made one mistake -- not running Lane on 3rd-and-goal at the 2 and settling for the first FG to make it 17-13.

The second FG try was a good call. His defense was playing extremely well. If Patrick hadn't busted for 12 yards on 2nd-and-13, they would have gotten the ball back, and probably won 19-17.

And Stoops admitted that he waffled and called for a punt, but was talked out of it by the looks in his players' eyes. That doesn't sound like a brilliant gambler.

umberto
11/5/2006, 11:18 AM
And Stoops admitted that he waffled and called for a punt, but was talked out of it by the looks in his players' eyes. That doesn't sound like a brilliant gambler.

Seeing the look in your players eyes is one thing. Having the stones to go through with the call is another. There are lots of coaches that would have said, "Sorry boys, it's too risky", and punted no matter what his players wanted to do.

tulsaoilerfan
11/5/2006, 12:18 PM
I truly believe that EVERY coach in America, except for The Man, would have punted on that 4th and inches no matter what the players wanted him to do; the only other coach that would have had the guts to do that would have been The King!

Cam
11/5/2006, 12:24 PM
When Bob Davies said "I'd punt here", my first thought was "that's why you're in the booth now".

Either way the play goes, Stoops absolutely made the right call by going for it.

Collier11
11/5/2006, 12:46 PM
Obviously he did make the right call, but up until we converted "both" times, I was scared ****less

TUSooner
11/5/2006, 12:52 PM
When Bob Davies said "I'd punt here", my first thought was "that's why you're in the booth now".

Either way the play goes, Stoops absolutely made the right call by going for it.
HEH! I think that about Davies every time he says what he would do. :D
99.8% of coaches would have punted, and lost.

And, BTW, that article is a total bitch slap of Frannie.

bluedogok
11/5/2006, 01:15 PM
Sounds like the Fran watch is back on.
According the aTm fans around here was never off, they all knew the won-loss record was against less than stellar teams.

GottaHavePride
11/5/2006, 01:20 PM
Right at the end of the third down I was saying "don't ****ing punt the ball. We won't keep them out of field goal range."

I think they had only stopped one or two rushes for losses all night.

stoopified
11/5/2006, 01:35 PM
Seeing the look in your players eyes is one thing. Having the stones to go through with the call is another. There are lots of coaches that would have said, "Sorry boys, it's too risky", and punted no matter what his players wanted to do.Exactly.

bdp514
11/5/2006, 05:38 PM
Hey sooners great win and great effort in a hostile environment. I've been going to A&M games for over 20 years and I don't think I've ever heard Kyle that loud. Excellent effort by your boys. Just a quick question - Given the same circumstances do any of you think Stoops would have gone for the FG's in the 4th quarter?

Fraggle145
11/5/2006, 05:52 PM
Hey sooners great win and great effort in a hostile environment. I've been going to A&M games for over 20 years and I don't think I've ever heard Kyle that loud. Excellent effort by your boys. Just a quick question - Given the same circumstances do any of you think Stoops would have gone for the FG's in the 4th quarter?

Nope.

arlington
11/5/2006, 06:50 PM
RB your segments are out of sequence..The first FG call was acceptable.They had a 4th and 6, so kicking with 2 timeouts and 6 minutes left was a good idea..Not assuming that you are in 2 down territory with 1 timeout, 3 minutes left, the new clock rules and a 280 pound back is awful and gutless...They dont have Techs quick strike aBILITY SO WITH 0 TIMEOUTS, even if we would have punted there was a better chance than not that they never would have gotten the ball down the field to win it..The time to win the game was there and fRAN PASSED..aND I TOTALLY FORGOT THAT fRAN DID VIRTUALLY THE SAME THING LAST YEAR ON THE 2 LATE DRIVES in Norman.SG

birddog
11/5/2006, 07:00 PM

definitely not the field goal to cut it to 1.

it was easy to see that the clock was going to drop pretty fast, seeing how you only had 1 timeout. everybody could see that.

at the same time, i still thought you all would win with a field goal if we didn't get the 1st down.

i had the shakes for about half an hour after that game.

Vaevictis
11/5/2006, 07:31 PM
Given the same circumstances do any of you think Stoops would have gone for the FG's in the 4th quarter?

When he kicked that last field goal, he was basically betting that our offense couldn't even manage one first down on our possession.

I know your defense was doing well, and our offense not so much, and it came down to the wire, but is that a bet you really want to make?

TUSooner
11/5/2006, 08:54 PM
When he kicked that last field goal, he was basically betting that our offense couldn't even manage one first down on our possession.

I know your defense was doing well, and our offense not so much, and it came down to the wire, but is that a bet you really want to make?

Honestly, I did not think we would get the first down. So I can't really rip the guy for that; I mean, who knew WE would ne in 4-down territory on our own 29? :eek: :D

When they had it 3d & goal on the 2, however, I don't understand why they didn't give it to the big guy twice. But I'm glad they didn't.

crawfish
11/5/2006, 09:16 PM
After watching Switzer take the heat here in Dallas for a failed fourth-and-one try, I know that the press would have been all over him had he failed.

I'm glad he gambled, though. I think we would've lost if we'd have punted.

StoopTroup
11/5/2006, 09:24 PM
Fran was Bob's Beyotch last night.

Vaevictis
11/5/2006, 10:10 PM
Honestly, I did not think we would get the first down.

Question: When did you think we would not get the first down? On 4th down, or on 1st?

'cause Fran was basically making that bet on 1st ;)

FlaBama
11/5/2006, 10:44 PM
Again this year, thanks for beating Fran. Sure it could have been by more, but an "L" is a "L" and it couldn't happen to a more deserving AH!

BOOMER SOONER! .................... and Roll Tide Roll (someday I hope)

cjames317
11/5/2006, 11:33 PM
When Bob Stoops does the aggie nut squeeze,
I bet it sounds like the beginning of "Hells Bells."

OUFan22
11/6/2006, 12:27 AM
When Bob Stoops does the aggie nut squeeze,
I bet it sounds like the beginning of "Hells Bells."
This statement is going to be an instant classic! Nice call cjames!!!

freshchris05
11/6/2006, 12:54 AM
Even if they give it to "the big guy" twice i still think he gets stopped... Lane is a pretty decent sized guard and everything but the other running back is who ripped us...