PDA

View Full Version : what happened to our

OUHOMER
11/4/2006, 11:53 PM
offence. Wilson just quit mixing it up.:(

TopDawg
11/4/2006, 11:59 PM
I thought he mixed it up pretty well the entire game. When our o-line blocked well and we held on to the ball, we were able to move it. When we didn't, we couldn't.

Their defense just played more inspired football in the second half and we didn't do a good job of hanging on to the football.

SoonerObsession
11/5/2006, 12:04 AM
I hate to say it because I love the guy, but Paul Thompson was not playing well. Iglesias dropped a td pass he should have had, but PT was just off tonight. He'll get back on track next week.

tbl
11/5/2006, 12:06 AM
PT could not hit the broad side of a barn tonight. I mean he was just awful with his passes. There were a BUNCH of key throws that he just did not make to open receivers (behind, over, under, any way you can make a bad pass).

sooneron
11/5/2006, 12:08 AM
I was surprised that we didn't send Gute back out on the series after the PT fumble. It seemed that his running was a change of pace that they weren't ready for.

birddog
11/5/2006, 12:12 AM
it's called play action.

with a&m going one-on-one with kelly, thompson should be able to find him.

when you only thorw the ball 9 or 10 times, it's hard to look impressive on offense.

sooner94
11/5/2006, 12:13 AM
Why does KW hate play action passes? Seems like they would have worked after the way we ran the ball in Q1.

That was one of the wors play called games after Q1 I have ever seen. Just AWFUL. PT was out of rythm because of the lack of passing plays. I thought we should have mixed in some play action or drop back passes in 2H.

Good thing we had the lock down D tonight.

soonercody
11/5/2006, 12:13 AM
PT never had a chance to get into the "rhythm". The run game worked so well in the first half, his arm was prolly ice cold.

soonerjace
11/5/2006, 12:15 AM
PT could not hit the broad side of a barn tonight. I mean he was just awful with his passes. There were a BUNCH of key throws that he just did not make to open receivers (behind, over, under, any way you can make a bad pass).
1 for 8 on third down conversions going into that last drive.I sure hope he puts it together next week:confused:

Texas Golfer
11/5/2006, 12:24 AM

And there was some that he put right into their hands that were dropped.

It was a team effort. At times, the team played extremely well and at times, not so well.

sooneron
11/5/2006, 12:26 AM
I am also ****ed about the game, but let's face it, we were due for an unimpressive game- we had it - on the road - at atm - and won. I'm moving on.

Rogue
11/5/2006, 12:27 AM
PT just called himself out in an interview on Gameday final.

Oh yeah, since I haven't made this point yet today...playcalling is overrated.

SoonerDood
11/5/2006, 12:27 AM
wasn't KW supposed to be the relief after CL nearly cost us a few games?

mightysooner
11/5/2006, 12:35 AM
Wilson has a flaw. He sits on leads regardless of how small that lead is. We're the best Big 10 team in the Big XII.

Scott D
11/5/2006, 12:39 AM
the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round.

IronSooner
11/5/2006, 12:40 AM
I don't have a problem at all with the playcalling. They gave us the run, we took it and had some nice scores. Patrick would have had a sportscenter run if Kelly hadn't gotten called for holding.

Looked to me like we had too many catches that our WRs would normally make. Some passes weren't there, but both QB and WR were responsible for the misses there. The problems there were execution, not playcalling. Overall I thought we did a fine job calling plays.

westcoast_sooner
11/5/2006, 12:40 AM
Every player, has an off-game. Tonight was Paul's night. There were some dropped balls, balls poorly thrown, etc.

He did not throw 4 INTs, like a QB in our past, where we still WON. In fact, he didn't throw a single pick, didn't make a mistake other than the fumble.

Doesn't matter - we still come away from Kyle with a 'W'. He'll be back to normal next week. And besides that - Tech doesn't have a defense.

Reincarnate
11/5/2006, 12:42 AM
I think Wilson got addicted to those 7-12 gashes Allen was getting in the 1st quarter, even tho PT is a 5th year player, he is relatively a new QB and needs to be involved in the game more. Once the D changed their scheme and made running tougher, PT just didn't seem to have his arm accuracy at all. Our WR dropping balls didn't help either, I hope our coaching staff doesn't lose sight that we might have a problem in that area and addresses it.

rhombic21
11/5/2006, 12:42 AM
Jesus, you guys bitch after the biggest win of the year.

PT was off on a few throws. The drop in the endzone by Iglesias was big. PT also killed us with that fumble.

Texas aTm had their safeties way off the LOS. That's why we didn't PA deep. They were essentially double teaming Kelly to keep him from getting open deep every play, which is why we ran the ball so well.

sooneron
11/5/2006, 12:47 AM
I think Wilson got addicted to those 7-12 gashes Allen was getting in the 1st quarter, even tho PT is a 5th year player, he is relatively a new QB and needs to be involved in the game more. Once the D changed their scheme and made running tougher, PT just didn't seem to have his arm accuracy at all. Our WR dropping balls didn't help either, I hope our coaching staff doesn't lose sight that we might have a problem in that area and addresses it.
OK, you're getting better. However, I think to say that you hope that the staff will do their job as if to say that they will ignore everything from 3 friggin quarters tonight is silly.

TUSooner
11/5/2006, 12:48 AM
We were having such a great time running it up the gut for most of the game. So, while some play action passes seemed like the thing to do, there was also no reason to stop doing what was working so well. Then again, we ran so much that PT & the passing game didn't really have a chance to get in rhythm. Anyway, I was so worked up by the win I hate to think how crappy I'd be feeling if we'd lost. :D

DoubleDown
11/5/2006, 12:49 AM
Personally, I'm a little upset that Coach Wilaon HAD to know aTm would make halftime adjustments. I know we were just shoving the ball down their throats in the first half. But he had to make adjustments to what was expected from them in the 2nd half. He has to pick up the aggresivness in the 2nd half of these games.

That being said, I am more than happy with this exceptional win in Collie Station.

mightysooner
11/5/2006, 12:54 AM
Personally, I'm a little upset that Coach Wilaon HAD to know aTm would make halftime adjustments. I know we were just shoving the ball down their throats in the first half. But he had to make adjustments to what was expected from them in the 2nd half. He has to pick up the aggresivness in the 2nd half of these games.

That being said, I am more than happy with this exceptional win in Collie Station.

Thank you. That's exactly my point. He should've known they'd scheme differently and stop our running game in the second half and he just kept running right in to the teeth of it. He does NOT like to throw the ball. He's a total big 10, 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy. If he doesn't open it up a little, he's going to cost us a game in the future. Our receivers are too good to just ignore the passing game and he ignored the passing game completely tonight.

rhombic21
11/5/2006, 12:57 AM
Texas aTm did not change their scheme. They just started playing better.

Kevin called a few PA passes in the third quarter, one of which PT got hit and fumbled on, and another where they got immediate pressure and he had to throw the ball away.

Reincarnate
11/5/2006, 12:57 AM
OK, you're getting better. However, I think to say that you hope that the staff will do their job as if to say that they will ignore everything from 3 friggin quarters tonight is silly.

By addressing it, I mean I hope the WR coach sits Iglesias down and talks to him about his receiving. I've noticed even the balls he is catching aren't clean, they seem to fall down his chest before he secures them. I am not expert enough to know why, but it could be........the gloves, not looking the ball in, letting the ball get into his chest and not catching with his hands. I just want the guy to have success, I am not bashing him or anything.

DoubleDown
11/5/2006, 01:02 AM
Texas aTm did not change their scheme. They just started playing better.

Kevin called a few PA passes in the third quarter, one of which PT got hit and fumbled on, and another where they got immediate pressure and he had to throw the ball away.

All due respect, you could not be more wrong.

They brought the LB's and the DB's closer to the line. They KNEW we were going to stick to the run. So why not try more play action passes?

Coach Wilson and the rest of the offensive staff have forgotten more about football then I will ever know. I just don't know why this adjustment couldn't have been made.

rhombic21
11/5/2006, 01:06 AM
No, they didn't. The Safeties were still 15 yards off the LOS, with the possible exception of our final possession. We DID call a few PA passes, and they didn't work.

stoopified
11/5/2006, 01:06 AM
I think if we had used a normal mixture of run and pass ENA would have hit his groove.We really only tried to pass in obvious passing downs.The main thing is no matter how ugly a W is a W.

Reincarnate
11/5/2006, 01:11 AM
Even after we gashed them that first drive, their safeties were still playing back almost 20 yds. I guess their D coordinator thought the line would stiffen up, it finally did in the second half. Wilson's play calling wasn't very good in the 2nd half tho, playing it safe gets you beat almost everytime.

mightysooner
11/5/2006, 01:15 AM
All due respect, you could not be more wrong.

They brought the LB's and the DB's closer to the line. They KNEW we were going to stick to the run. So why not try more play action passes?

Coach Wilson and the rest of the offensive staff have forgotten more about football then I will ever know. I just don't know why this adjustment couldn't have been made.

Exactly. They most certainly changed their scheme. They brought the corners up to the line, played with 3 linebackers, and left only two safeties back in the second half. That's a 9 man box with a cover 2 deep. Tough to run against. Texas A&M normally plays a 4-2-5 defense. Tonight they played a 4-3 stack cover 2. That's not their normal defense. They definitely changed their scheme.

DoubleDown
11/5/2006, 01:21 AM
Exactly. They most certainly changed their scheme. They brought the corners up to the line, played with 3 linebackers, and left only two safeties back in the second half. That's a 9 man box with a cover 2 deep. Tough to run against. Texas A&M normally plays a 4-2-5 defense. Tonight they played a 4-3 stack cover 2. That's not their normal defense. They definitely changed their scheme.

I'm glad someone else saw the same thing I saw. Glad to know I'm not stupid.:)

rhombic21
11/5/2006, 01:25 AM
Corners don't count as "in the box", because they aren't in a position to defend the run. They're guarding WRs.

Texas aTm had 7 in the box.

And with the safeties playing so deep, it is unlikely that you'd be able to get behind them off of PA.

DoubleDown
11/5/2006, 01:30 AM
Corners don't count as "in the box", because they aren't in a position to defend the run. They're guarding WRs.

And with the safeties playing so deep, it is unlikely that you'd be able to get behind them off of PA.

Watch it again. The corners were playing inside the receivers. Basically giving the the outside route while watching for a sweep. Seven guys in the tackle box, 2 more on the edges.

I hate that it may sound like I'm nitpicking. We won a hard fought game. Just hoping we learn this for future games.

GottaHavePride
11/5/2006, 01:33 AM
the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round.
...and you're the one under The Bus.

http://images.sportsnetwork.com/football/nfl/allsport/steelers/bettis4.jpg

Man, I loved that commercial.

rhombic21
11/5/2006, 01:34 AM
Watch it again. The corners were playing inside the receivers. Basically giving the the outside route while watching for a sweep. Seven guys in the tackle box, 2 more on the edges.

I hate that it may sound like I'm nitpicking. We won a hard fought game. Just hoping we learn this for future games.
No. CBs who are guarding WRs that are split out wide are not in any position at all to stop the run, regardless of how close they play to the LOS. The CBs were not the ones making tackles. They weren't even in on any of the plays, because we almost never ran the ball outside the tackle box. It was linemen and LBs who beat blocks, and in a few instances flat didn't get blocked because somebody blocked the wrong guy.

StoopTroup
11/5/2006, 01:34 AM
I bet it was loud when we had the ball at the end.

Aggies defensive guys looked like they would eat raw meat and were drooling for this game in that last two series....

They didn't get it...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

mightysooner
11/5/2006, 01:35 AM

I'm sorry but that's just not correct. Cornerbacks are absolutely responsible for run support. Think about it. You can't have 8-9 men "in the box" unless your corners are up on the line of scrimmage. They had a 9 man box the entire second half.

mightysooner
11/5/2006, 01:38 AM
No. CBs who are guarding WRs that are split out wide are not in any position at all to stop the run, regardless of how close they play to the LOS. The CBs were not the ones making tackles. They weren't even in on any of the plays, because we almost never ran the ball outside the tackle box. It was linemen and LBs who beat blocks, and in a few instances flat didn't get blocked because somebody blocked the wrong guy.

I'm sorry but you're simply wrong. I played the game and corners absolutely have run support responsibility. That's elementary football X's and O's man. They contain the perimeter.

DoubleDown
11/5/2006, 01:39 AM
No. CBs who are guarding WRs that are split out wide are not in any position at all to stop the run, regardless of how close they play to the LOS.

Agree to disagree. The corners watch the QB from the snap until he makes his drop. Therefore, they see a running play and are able to break on it as soon as the ball is handed off. If they play closer to the inside (which was easy tonight because we kept the receivers in to runblock), they are closer to make a tackle on the RB.

I should check the stats to see how many tackles the CB's had. It would either prove or negate my theory.

rhombic21
11/5/2006, 01:40 AM
I'm sorry but that's just not correct. Cornerbacks are absolutely responsible for run support. Think about it. You can't have 8-9 men "in the box" unless your corners are up on the line of scrimmage. They had a 9 man box the entire second half.
You clearly do not understand what "in the box" refers to. It's the area between the tackles, within about 5 yards of the LOS. Corners who are guarding WRs that are split out wide are nowhere near "the box".

When people talk about teams putting 8 and 9 "in the box", they're talking about teams bringing the safeties down and playing them at LB depth, essentially meaning that they have nobody covering deep.

mightysooner
11/5/2006, 01:42 AM
I'm glad someone else saw the same thing I saw. Glad to know I'm not stupid.:)

No you nailed it. They changed their entire scheme in the second half because we were punishing them in that 4-2-5 package they always run. Good move on their part. Bad offensive adjustment on our part.

birddog
11/5/2006, 01:43 AM
which would lead to our receivers being in a one-on-one situation.

DoubleDown
11/5/2006, 01:47 AM

Exactly!!! The reason we should have tweaked what we were doing just a little bit.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/5/2006, 01:48 AM
Why does KW hate play action passes? Seems like they would have worked after the way we ran the ball in Q1.

That was one of the wors play called games after Q1 I have ever seen. Just AWFUL. PT was out of rythm because of the lack of passing plays. I thought we should have mixed in some play action or drop back passes in 2H.

Good thing we had the lock down D tonight.Inexcusable play calling.

rhombic21
11/5/2006, 01:50 AM
What would lead to our WRs being in a 1-1 situation? The Safety is giving the corner help over the top, so you are probably not going to be able to get behind them. You may be able to hit something underneath, and those are the throws that PT missed. Walking the corners up to the LOS does not have any affect on our run-blocking schemes. The corners do not factor in to the running plays except on a few outside runs like tosses or sweeps, which we never ran anyways.

mightysooner
11/5/2006, 01:50 AM
You clearly do not understand what "in the box" refers to. It's the area between the tackles, within about 5 yards of the LOS. Corners who are guarding WRs that are split out wide are nowhere near "the box".

When people talk about teams putting 8 and 9 "in the box", they're talking about teams bringing the safeties down and playing them at LB depth, essentially meaning that they have nobody covering deep.

The following quote is taken from Bob Davie's Football 101 X's and O's on ESPN.

"What coaches mean by the term "in the box" is how many defenders are employed in an area close enough to the line of scrimmage where they can directly impact a rushing attempt by the offense. In the example shown below, the defensive team is using a traditional 7-man front to stop the run. You also see a base 2-deep coverage where four secondary members are deployed to defend the pass. In this instance it's obvious to see that the defense has chosen to use seven players close to the line of scrimmage to stop the run while utilizing the four defensive backs to play, primarily, pass coverage."

rhombic21
11/5/2006, 01:52 AM
We did call PA passes guys. They just didn't work. It was a PA pass play that PT got hit and fumbled on. It was a PA pass play that Iglesias dropped in the endzone. There was another PA pass play where PT got immediate pressure and had to throw it at the TEs feet.

Texas aTm was mostly daring us to run the football, and was doing everything to try and keep us from going over the top for a deep ball.

rhombic21
11/5/2006, 01:53 AM
The following quote is taken from Bob Davie's Football 101 X's and O's on ESPN.

"What coaches mean by the term "in the box" is how many defenders are employed in an area close enough to the line of scrimmage where they can directly impact a rushing attempt by the offense.
And WRs who are split wide are way too far from the play for their man to be close enough to the play to impact a run. How far downfield was Kelly on the holding penalty? That's how far the CBs are from the play.

DoubleDown
11/5/2006, 01:58 AM
We did call PA passes guys. They just didn't work. It was a PA pass play that PT got hit and fumbled on. It was a PA pass play that Iglesias dropped in the endzone. There was another PA pass play where PT got immediate pressure and had to throw it at the TEs feet.

Texas aTm was mostly daring us to run the football, and was doing everything to try and keep us from going over the top for a deep ball.

Again, agree to disagree. We obviously were not watching the same things.

I'm done.

mightysooner
11/5/2006, 01:58 AM
And WRs who are split wide are way too far from the play for their man to be close enough to the play to impact a run. How far downfield was Kelly on the holding penalty? That's how far the CBs are from the play.

As I said.......corners have peremiter run stop responsibility. I don't think Kelly's penalty says anything about the responsibilities of the corner position. If I'm a corner covering Kelly, I'm going where he's going too. I played the game for several years so I know what corners do. It's the hardest position to play on defense. Just my deuce....

Stoop Dawg
11/5/2006, 10:18 AM
Sorry, but who the heck cares about the definition of "in the box"?

The bottom line is, our offense was 100% ineffective for the last 3 quarters. Since CL took all the blame last year, I think KW deserves it this year. Period.

mrowl
11/5/2006, 10:22 AM
shouldn't the question be, "what happened to our passing game?"

The last 2 games, it has been absent.

rhombic21
11/5/2006, 10:39 AM
There's a difference in an offense that is ineffective because of execution and one that is ineffective because of playcalling.

KW called a good game based on what the defense was giving us, and the personnel that he had. PT and the WRs were just off on the execution, which forced KW to be more conservative.

Your defense is playing great, you have a lead, your QB is struggling and your WRs aren't helping him out, and the defense is giving you 7 in the box. KW did the smart thing by trying to run it down their throats and force those safeties to come up. If we finish off the drives where AP and PT fumble the ball, and the passing game executes on some of the shots that we did take, then we win it by a few scores.

As opposed to Chuck who repeatedly tried to run the ball against 8 and 9 in the box even with a Heisman winning QB and a fleet of experienced NFL bound WRs.

CRASH 02
11/5/2006, 10:59 AM
It wasn't just a second half slump last night. We have had trouble in the second half of games since the Middle Tennessee game. Since that game we have scored 74 points in the first half and 37 in the second. Second half points have been like this.

UT 0
IS 10
Col 14
Mizz 10
A&M 3

It would be nice if we can step up in the second half next week against Tech. We owe them one.

booomer
11/5/2006, 11:04 AM
It wasn't just a second half slump last night. We have had trouble in the second half of games since the Middle Tennessee game. Since that game we have scored 74 points in the first half and 37 in the second. Second half points have been like this.

UT 0
IS 10
Col 14
Mizz 10
A&M 3

It would be nice if we can step up in the second half next week against Tech. We owe them one.

We play way to conservatively, IMO, when we get a lead.

I take it that they have little confidence in the young O line and inexperienced QB even though they keep proving themselves game after game.

It's not hard to figure out run, run pass......which is what we do in the 2nd half of games.

Ash
11/5/2006, 11:15 AM
Since CL took all the blame last year, I think KW deserves it this year. Period.

Now there's some logic fer ya.

:pop:

Kels
11/5/2006, 11:17 AM
Just got back from the game. Sorry armchair quarterbacks, our coaching staff did a great job.

If you were there, you would know. The TV can't translate to what it's like for a visiting team to run offensive plays in that stadium. We didn't play mistake-free football, but considering the circumstances nobody expected to.

It was a good win over a tough opponent on an extremely hostile field. Quit gripin' and enjoy it.

sooneron
11/5/2006, 11:22 AM
Just got back from the game. Sorry armchair quarterbacks, our coaching staff did a great job.

If you were there, you would know. The TV can't translate to what it's like for a visiting team to run offensive plays in that stadium. We didn't play mistake-free football, but considering the circumstances nobody expected to.

It was a good win over a tough opponent on an extremely hostile field. Quit gripin' and enjoy it.
Concur.

sooneron
11/5/2006, 11:23 AM
He does NOT like to throw the ball. He's a total big 10, 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy.
OK, so we know one person that never watched a NW game while Wilson was there.

OKC-SLC
11/5/2006, 11:44 AM

werd.

tulsaoilerfan
11/5/2006, 12:28 PM
Am i happy with the win? You bet; if you had told me on Monday we would win by 1 point, i would be happy; however, IF we had lost this game, how much griping would there have been about the play calling in the second half? When we get a lead, we are playing it ultra conservatively and counting on the D to keep that lead, and i'm afraid it's going to bite us in the *** before the season is over

usmc-sooner
11/5/2006, 12:35 PM
guys we ran the ball 45 times and only attempted 12 passes. Our offense did not score after their second pos of the first quarter.

TUSooner
11/5/2006, 12:42 PM
Sorry, I can't join the whine party about our running the ball too much.
We pwn3d their sorry a$$es when we ran, it was less successful in the 2d half, but I think our O problems in the 2d half were due mostly to bad execution, not bad strategy.

I guarantee that if we had started thowing a lot, and lost, everybody would be saying, "Why did we abandon the running game?"

GottaHavePride
11/5/2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I can't fault them for running a lot when we were averaging 6-7 yards a carry. The passing game looked a lot worse because out of Paul's 7 incomplete passes, about 4 of those were dropped. He could easily have been 7 out of 10 for a lot more yards.

Without those two personal foul calls this game would NOT have been close.

did fans complain about the passing game after that Colorado game in the early 80s that we had 800 yards of offense and didn't even attempt a pass? ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/5/2006, 01:38 PM
My next question is if we only threw 9 passes and you are griping that we didn't run enough play action...would that mean we should have abandoned the 7 to 8 yards a carry running the ball to throw more....when earlier in the year you guys bitched because he got away from what worked....I would lean towards Kevin Wilson not being the problem but you guys being the problem

birddog
11/5/2006, 01:45 PM
well, i thought we could have been a little more dynamic but when when it became obvious we couldn't get a passing game going, we relied on the players that could move the ball.

usmc-sooner
11/5/2006, 01:59 PM
all I'm saying is the majority of the yards we had came on our first 2 possesions. After that our rushing attack yielded 0 points. Our rushing attack was stuffed on 1st and goal from the 8.

I'm not like ****ed but I can't say I'd be happier if we punted after we run the ball 3 times in a row, or punted after an incompletion.

I'm just not a big fan of this milking the clock, which is probably not what we were doing but I felt like we gave up on PT or at least lost confidence in him and we will need him before the season is over.

recemp
11/5/2006, 02:55 PM
When was the last time you noticed an 'adjustment' by OU in the second half?
I keep remembering one of the few classy USC fans at the Orange Bowl telling me that they knew OU wouldn't do anything different, would never adjust to how the game went.
He was telling me this on the bus 'to' the game,
That conversation haunts me on days like these.
That aside, I have little complaint about the play calling. We took what was available. We just seemed to stay with it when it wasn't working.
I thought the game against Missouri was a more solid effort.
This week, the national press is lauding Coach Stoops as coach of the year and I think Allen Patrick got a couple of Heismann votes from guys that look at the final stats.
Looking at the other teams that are supposed to BCS contenders, I don't see anyone playing as well as OU is right now. Louisville for the title? Give me a break.

Rogue
11/5/2006, 03:20 PM
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times...Playcalling is overrated.

GottaHavePride
11/5/2006, 03:35 PM
Execution pwns playcalling. ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/5/2006, 10:12 PM
all I'm saying is the majority of the yards we had came on our first 2 possesions. After that our rushing attack yielded 0 points. Our rushing attack was stuffed on 1st and goal from the 8.

I'm not like ****ed but I can't say I'd be happier if we punted after we run the ball 3 times in a row, or punted after an incompletion.

I'm just not a big fan of this milking the clock, which is probably not what we were doing but I felt like we gave up on PT or at least lost confidence in him and we will need him before the season is over.This quote from another fans board I read a while ago. This guy says it well:

Our offensive coaches have got to put PT in better situation Last night, Kevin Wilson made it hard for PT to succeed. We are so much more predictable than any other team, granted we are better than most teams, but this kind of predictability will get you beat. A&M's defense got better as the play calling became ever more obvious. Run, run run. No great coaching adjustments were made by A&M, and with any sort of unpredictability we would have scored at least 35 points. Go ahead and flame away but we won in spite of Wilson, stop making the game close when it does not have to be! Get your QB some throws before the 4th quarter.

Vaevictis
11/5/2006, 10:25 PM
And there was some that he put right into their hands that were dropped.

That there is the story of the season for our passing offense.

It seems that every single game, our receivers drop at least 50% of the catchable passes.

Remembering Tom Stidham
11/5/2006, 10:34 PM
Where is the triple option? I thought Paul and ADwhoever would run it often and well. If we have ever tried it, I have missed it.

1991SOONER
11/5/2006, 11:47 PM
I think Paul Thomspon was affected that night by the Aggie crowd. He probably couldn't hear his own self think. Its not the first time thats happened to an OU qb at Kyle field either.

I still believe in him though and think he is a good quarterback.

rhombic21
11/6/2006, 01:37 AM
This quote from another fans board I read a while ago. This guy says it well:

Our offensive coaches have got to put PT in better situation Last night, Kevin Wilson made it hard for PT to succeed. We are so much more predictable than any other team, granted we are better than most teams, but this kind of predictability will get you beat. A&M's defense got better as the play calling became ever more obvious. Run, run run. No great coaching adjustments were made by A&M, and with any sort of unpredictability we would have scored at least 35 points. Go ahead and flame away but we won in spite of Wilson, stop making the game close when it does not have to be! Get your QB some throws before the 4th quarter.
OU threw the ball 3 or 4 times on our first possession. They threw the ball 2 times on the first possession of the fourth quarter, one of which resulted in PT getting hit and fumbling. We threw the ball inside the redzone and should have come up with a TD.

aTm was daring us to run the ball for the most part, and that's what we did. They play a ball control offense, so their strategy was to force us to be methodical and take time off the clock so they could keep it close and try to make a few plays at the end. Had we made a few more plays in the passing game, we would have won comfortably. The running game was still effective in the second half for the most part, we just weren't able to avoid turnovers and mistakes to keep drives going. A few times we had busted assignments where a TE or FB didn't kick out on a blitzing LB. Remember that we converted that final first down because Allen Patrick picked up 12 yards on 2nd and 13.

The playcalling was not the problem. If we hold onto the football and we have a combination of more accurate passes (we had at least one time where a WR is wide open on what would have been a third down conversion and PT throws it behind him, and another corner route where the WR was wide open but PT barely overthrew him) and catches when the ball was on target (Iglesias in the endzone), the game isn't close at the end. The gameplan was good and the playcalling was good, the players just had some hiccups in execution.

trpltongue
11/6/2006, 10:39 AM
Here's a breakdown of our drives in the game, with detail on the second half:

1st half:

80yrd drive for touchdown
80yrd drive for touchdown
19yrd drive punt
3 plays then half

2 complete passes, 2 incomplete passes

Run was working extremely well, passed when we needed to and receivers *caught* the ball.

2nd half:

4yrd drive - Patrick fumbles and recovers for 2 yards, Paul throws a bad pass behind Johnson 3 & out

0yrd drive (after interception) - Run up the gut is stuffed. KW calls fade to Johnson, not Kelley who is single covered (incomplete). PA pass to Iglesias who DROPS it. Score should be 21-10, 17-10 instead.

12yrd drive - Patrick misses hole and is tackled for 1 yard gain (could have easily gotten 5-6 but missed it). Patrick is stuffed on next run (good defense). Thompson completes 13 yrd pass for 1st down. Patrick rushes for 5 yrds then fumbles.

35yrd drive - Allen rushes for TD, gets called back for holding. Score should be 28-10, 17-10 instead. Gutierrez rushes for 11 yards. Gutierrez rushes for 15 yards. Gutierrez is stuffed for 1 yard. PA pass blown up by corner blitz, incomplete. Thompson sacked and fumbles.

4 yrd drive - Patrick rush for 4 yards. Patrick stuffed on outside (missed his running lane, should have gotten about 3 yrds). Pass to Patrick who Drops it Could have gotten very close to the first down if he caught it.

2yrd drive - Patrick rush for 2 yrds. PA pass to Johnson, tough pass but hit him in the hands and he dropped it. Incomplete pass to Kelley (defender knocked it away).

35 yrd drive - Patrick rushes for loss of 3. Patrick rushes for 12 yards. Patrick rushes for 1 yrd. Thompson rushes for 2 yards to end game.

Wow, that was a lot of typing!

Abriged version

We ran the ball down their throats at will. PT threw 4 incomplete passes, got rid of 1 to avoid the sack and had 4 dropped passes. Please explain to me when we should have passed more. Also explain to me when the Aggie defense stiffened up. The fact of the matter is that we didn't need to attempt any passes. We could have run the ball all night if we executed properly. Yes they brought in an extra linebacker in the second half, but we still ran the ball for 75 yrds in the second half. The only reason we didn't run for more yards was because of fumbles and attempting more passes. We passed the ball 8 times in the second half and only 4 in the first.

PAW
11/6/2006, 11:27 AM
A lot of people are getting on KW, but that gameplan is Stoops. Sooneron is right. This is not a KW offense. Stoops wants to control the clock and keep the opposing O off the field. After the game he said:

Stoops: It is, but I was very pleased with the way Kevin (Wilson) played it and the way we did it. They were very conservative in how they covered and that's why there was so much run game there. We just wanted to be smart. Maybe we'll go back and look at it, maybe there was some more opportunities we could've taken advantage of throwing it.

We were playing good defense, and Kevin's been really good that way. It's easy if people allow you to do this, that or the other, and then you get a ball tipped or the ball stripped out like happened, you've got to be smart. We were and fortunately made enough plays to win.

Remember, running the ball is a mindset . . . regardless of what the D does, we have to be able to run the ball when we want to run it according to the Stoops philosophy. It drives me crazy as a fan and doesn't do us any favors in the polls. It may also affect QB recruiting.

This season depends on the running game and the defense. Stoops is a defensive guy and is comfortable in these types of games. With what has happened in the past year, I'd rather not have a close game that can be decided by one or two bad calls/breaks. I'd also like to hang half-a-hunderd on them and get out of town, but that's me.

Also, check out starting position last Saturday. We had the one drive at the aTM 6 and then:

OU 20
OU 20
OU 30
OU 7
OU 20
OU 19
OU 21
OU 19
OU 20
OU 20

Stoops is more conservative than I would be and more so when the average drive is starting inside your own 18 yard line. I don't like the fact that every single drive in the 2nd half started with a hand-off to AP, but of the 7 - 2nd half possesions . . . 2 ended on drops (one in the end-zone) and 2 ended on fumbles, execution. Until the ball is past midfield, the gameplan calls for even more conservative plays, which Stoops considers "smart."

Heck, we got the win in College Station. We've gone in there with the number 1 team in the nation and had similar scares and even lost in recent years. I'll take it and move on down the road, but we are going to see more of the same type of play-calling, IMO, and it's not up to KW.

Stoop Dawg
11/6/2006, 02:25 PM
First off, thanks for the breakdown. I summarized your post to show yards gained on all but the first 2 drives:

19yrd drive punt
3 plays then half

2nd half:

4yrd drive
0yrd drive
12yrd drive

35yrd drive
4 yrd drive
2yrd drive
35 yrd drive

Anyone see a problem there? That's 119 yards of offense and no points for 3 full quarters of football. (The field goal was set up by the defense, so I don't count those as points earned by the offense).

A win is a win and I'm happy for it. I'm not calling for anyone's head either. I'm just not as excited as some of the other people here about how weak our offense was for 3 quarters. And it appeared to me that no adjustments were made. I'm no football expert though, so maybe there were adjustments and I just didn't see them. That's entirely possible.

Stoop Dawg
11/6/2006, 02:33 PM
Now there's some logic fer ya.

:pop:

Sorry, I've been over on the SO for too long. Logic is discouraged over there...

Ash
11/6/2006, 02:38 PM
Sorry, I've been over on the SO for too long. Logic is discouraged over there...

Heh...it just struck me as funny. Not trying to dog you out.:)

fwsooner22
11/6/2006, 02:56 PM
First off, thanks for the breakdown. I summarized your post to show yards gained on all but the first 2 drives:

Anyone see a problem there? That's 119 yards of offense and no points for 3 full quarters of football. (The field goal was set up by the defense, so I don't count those as points earned by the offense).

A win is a win and I'm happy for it. I'm not calling for anyone's head either. I'm just not as excited as some of the other people here about how weak our offense was for 3 quarters. And it appeared to me that no adjustments were made. I'm no football expert though, so maybe there were adjustments and I just didn't see them. That's entirely possible.

I am betting that you were NOT there...............

swardboy
11/6/2006, 03:39 PM
I COULD BE WRONG and I WAS NOT THERE, but having been an erstwhile college qb myself, wind can really get into your mind, your mechanics, ergo your completions. And it was a windy night, right? It wrecks more havoc in some qb's than in others....and it can screw up receivers perceptions as well. Just sayin'.....

cvsooner
11/6/2006, 03:44 PM
PT had four dropped passes. I saw only one really bad throw, way behind Finley. PT's stats are way better than Bomar's. He's playing fine.

This team is maturing. This game wasn't that much different than the Texas game...the difference being the defense played so much better here and the offense came up with plays when it had to...getting at least three points and a couple of first downs. It was enough. Just getting out of that hellish locale with a win is an accomplishment.

PT will have better days. If that's the worst he plays...we'll be fine.

Scott D
11/6/2006, 03:48 PM
I like to think that TCU last year was the worst he could play.

trpltongue
11/6/2006, 04:08 PM
PT had four dropped passes. I saw only one really bad throw,

That's one of the points that I was trying to make as well.

PT had 9 incomplete passes:
...4 drops
...3 incompletes
...1 throw away to avoid a sack on a blitz
...1 badly thrown ball behind the receiver

Also:

19yrd drive punt
3 plays then half

2nd half:

4yrd drive - bad pass
0yrd drive - dropped ball in endzone
12yrd drive - fumble

35yrd drive - td called back for holding, fumble on passing play
4 yrd drive - dropped pass on 3rd down
2yrd drive - dropped pass on 2nd down
25 yrd drive - rushed for 12 yrds

Seems to me the play calling was fine (except I would have thrown the fade to Kelly, not Johnson) it was the execution that was poor.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/6/2006, 04:08 PM
There's a difference in an offense that is ineffective because of execution and one that is ineffective because of playcalling.

KW called a good game based on what the defense was giving us, and the personnel that he had. PT and the WRs were just off on the execution, which forced KW to be more conservative.

Your defense is playing great, you have a lead, your QB is struggling and your WRs aren't helping him out, and the defense is giving you 7 in the box. KW did the smart thing by trying to run it down their throats and force those safeties to come up. If we finish off the drives where AP and PT fumble the ball, and the passing game executes on some of the shots that we did take, then we win it by a few scores.

As opposed to Chuck who repeatedly tried to run the ball against 8 and 9 in the box even with a Heisman winning QB and a fleet of experienced NFL bound WRs.

I agree with Rhombic. I thought the play calling while not extraordinary was pretty good and the probablem was about 90% execution. PT threw a few real bad passes and there were a couple big drops as well. Plus the holding call on AP's run that would have sealed the deal. We easily could have scored 31-35 points.

I also thought the onside kick was a good call but when it didn't work the momentum clearly changed in the game. Bottom line is I'm pleased with where this team is going on both sides of the ball. I doubt anyone left on the schedule or in a bowl game will play us as hard as the Aggies in Collie Station.

Stoop Dawg
11/6/2006, 05:02 PM
I am betting that you were NOT there...............

What difference would it have made? Our offense would have scored more points if I was there? Or I would have seen the adjustments that were made, but I missed them because they weren't visible on the television?

I don't see your point.

Stoop Dawg
11/6/2006, 05:21 PM
Seems to me the play calling was fine (except I would have thrown the fade to Kelly, not Johnson) it was the execution that was poor.

I went and looked at the play-by-play for my own edification. It appears we tried more passes than I recalled. Execution was certainly a problem.

However, I am still a little dissappointed that we didn't throw on first down the entire evening. Not once.

As for taking what the defense was giving, look at the first down stats on our second half drives: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/playbyplay/2006/11/04/34972_pbp.html

Patrick rush middle for 2 yards
Patrick rush middle for 0 yards
Patrick rush middle for 0 yards
Patrick rush middle for 20 yards (this was a good drive until the fumble)
Patrick rush left for 4 yards
Patrick rush middle for 2 yards
Patrick rush left for -2 yards

That's an average of 3.7 yards on first down. Without the 20 yard play, it's an average of 1 yard. That doesn't seem all that good to me.

trwxxa
11/6/2006, 10:25 PM
It doesn't look like PT or the staff called a single audible Saturday night. No doubt because of the noise and while they can signal an adjustment from the sideline, the line can not call the new blocking assignments.

The play calling was fine.

trpltongue
11/6/2006, 11:30 PM
StoopDawg,

If you have the game on DVR still, it's worth a few minutes to go back and watch those first downs. A couple of them, Patrick just picked the wrong hole or missed the cut. On another one, the TE completely missed the blocking assignment. The important thing to note though, is that the safeties and corners were nowhere to be seen and we were opening holes even if the RB wasn't able to hit them.

I initially came away from the game dissapointed in the playcalling but after watching the second half again, I realized it was just sloppy execution on our part.