PDA

View Full Version : Turncoat Punk UT's Damion James Double Double

SoonerShark
11/4/2006, 07:53 PM
http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=16&url_article_id=5130&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

AUSTIN, Texas -- Freshman swingman Damion James posted 14 points and 12 rebounds to lead Texas to a 98-64 victory against Lenoir-Rhyne College in the Longhorns' exhibition opener Tuesday night before 2,930 fans at the Frank Erwin Center. Texas coach Rick Barnes is a 1977 graduate of Lenoir-Rhyne, a Division II school in Hickory, N.C.

James was one of five Longhorns to reach double figures in scoring during the evening. Sophomore guard A.J. Abrams paced Texas with a game-high 18 points on 7-of-13 shooting (4-of-8 threes), while freshman swingman Kevin Durant added 16 points. Sophomore forward/center Connor Atchley tallied 12 points (3-of-6 threes), and freshman forward/center Matt Hill registered 10 points.

"Early on, our guys were jumpy and a little uptight," Barnes said. "That was no surprise for their first time out. Once they settled down, defensively, I thought overall they did a pretty good job. There was a lot more good than bad for a first time out."

Texas, which never trailed in the contest, jumped out to a 15-6 lead following an Abrams lay-up at the 12:39 mark. Leading 17-10, the Longhorns used an Abrams three-pointer, an Atchley free throw and a J.D. Lewis three-pointer to build a 24-10 advantage with 6:00 left. After the Bears used back-to-back baskets by Josh Kindred to cut the gap to 27-17 at the 5:02 mark, Texas responded with an 18-5 run to close the half and take a 45-22 lead at the break. UT had nine assists against just one turnover in the opening 20 minutes.

Texas increased its advantage to 31 points (59-28) on another Abrams three at the 16:33 mark and did not allow the margin to fall below 28 points for the remainder of the night. All 11 scholarship players on the Texas roster scored at least two points during the victory.

Freshman guard D.J. Augustin contributed eight points and seven assists against just one turnover, while Lewis also added eight points (2-of-4 threes). On the evening, the Horns recorded 16 assists against just five turnovers. Lenoir-Rhyne was paced by Kindred's 12 points and Donte Watson with 10 points.

Texas concludes its exhibition season with a home contest against Division II Xavier (La.) University on Monday, Nov. 6. Tip is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Erwin Center. The Horns open the 2006-07 regular season with a home tilt against Alcorn State in the opening round of the 2K Sports College Hoops Classic benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer on Thursday, Nov. 9. Tip is set for 8:30 p.m. at the Erwin Center.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/4/2006, 10:01 PM
Don't you think he deserves the asterisk treatment?

You know, Turncoat Punk UT's ****** *****.

Or we can call him The Turncoat Punk that Stiffed Us and Went to UT Instead Whose Name Shall Never Be Mentioned.

Me, I prefer the latter.

the_ouskull
11/4/2006, 10:26 PM
I prefer calling him Damion James. He's not special. Just another kid that can't honor his word. There's lots of them. So be it.

the-ouskull

Ruuuuuufus
11/5/2006, 12:14 AM
With the NCAA problems it's not like we really kept up our side of the agreement either. On top of that, I don't think you can expect most 17 year old kids to commit to the school instead of the coach these days. Especially so in basketball.

It was obvious he didn't want to be here and I'm glad we granted him his release from his letter. Does it suck he went to Texas instead? Sure, but I don't believe he went to UT just to spite us. There's a good opportunity there for him and he could be a one and done regardless.

Socrefbek
11/5/2006, 10:19 AM
We shoulda granted them a conditional release. You are released to play at any university ....... in the southern hemisphere. :mad:

bluedogok
11/5/2006, 02:13 PM
My attitude on recruiting is if they don't want to be at OU they shouldn't be forced to stay there. If they are only there because of a "contract" they will never be happy there or effective when playing. That scholarship deserves people who want to be there to give it their all for the university, not some half-hearted malcontent who would more than likely become a divisive element in the locker room. I just say don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The coaching change and sanctions will be a momentary lull and it will become a place that guys want to come to an do well.

AustinTXHorn
11/5/2006, 02:31 PM
James is going to be the key to our team this year. He is really the only guy on the team who can go up and grab a rebound out there.

I think Texas will be fortunate to keep him for two years.