PDA

View Full Version : Red beans and rice, beyonces!!!

handcrafted
11/4/2006, 02:59 PM
In honor of my 40th birthday, today, I am currently simmering a most mouth-watering pot full of red beans and rice. This will be epic, people. It should be ready just about gametime, and my wonderful wife has told me that a) I may watch the entire OU game without interruption and may yell as loud as I want and b) she promised to ride me into the sunset after the game.

This is a good birthday. :D

StoopTroup
11/4/2006, 03:06 PM
White chili from St. Michaels Alley here in Telseytown.

Oh and HB2u!

handcrafted
11/4/2006, 03:15 PM
White chili from St. Michaels Alley here in Telseytown.

Oh and HB2u!

Danke Schoen.

I kept the actual date secret from the staff at work so that I would not end up with an office full of black balloons. :D

soonercody
11/4/2006, 05:10 PM
Let me know how this turns out HC.

soonercody
11/4/2006, 05:11 PM
Happy Burfday and stuff.

Newbomb Turk
11/4/2006, 05:25 PM
she promised to ride me into the sunset after the game.

now that beats the hell outa red beans and rice.

Happy bday!

lil'duck
11/4/2006, 07:06 PM
In honor of my 40th birthday, today, I am currently simmering a most mouth-watering pot full of red beans and rice. This will be epic, people. It should be ready just about gametime, and my wonderful wife has told me that a) I may watch the entire OU game without interruption and may yell as loud as I want and b) she promised to ride me into the sunset after the game.

This is a good birthday. :D

nice. you should remind her that her duty does not only extend to your birthday...there's your anniversary, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines day, Halloween, Labor Day, Memorial day, and Flag day...trust me...you can work that one :)

Happy Birthday!

handcrafted
11/4/2006, 07:14 PM
nice. you should remind her that her duty does not only extend to your birthday...there's your anniversary, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines day, Halloween, Labor Day, Memorial day, and Flag day...trust me...you can work that one :)

Happy Birthday!

Heh. Flag Day is also my son's birthday. :)

For the record, said Red Beans and Rice is probably the best batch I ever made. This stuff RMFO. I put a touch of habanero sauce on mine, but the wife and boy have more sensitive systems, so the amount of cayenne pepper I put in the pot is enough for them. :D

SoonerJack
11/4/2006, 07:17 PM
how does your rb and r compare to popeye's? theirs is top notch.

handcrafted
11/4/2006, 07:27 PM
how does your rb and r compare to popeye's? theirs is top notch.

Popeyes can't touch this. :D

I think I may even have Pearl's beat.

SoonerJack
11/4/2006, 07:29 PM
outstanding! i don't guess you would be willing to share the recipe...or would you?

handcrafted
11/4/2006, 07:42 PM
outstanding! i don't guess you would be willing to share the recipe...or would you?

no problemo!

2 tablespoons xtra virg olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
2 pounds smoked sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
1 pound dried red beans, soak overnight and drain
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
8 to 10 cups water
Steamed rice

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the
onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, cayenne, black pepper and thyme
for about 5 minutes. Add the bay leaves, ham and sausage and saute for 5 to 6 minutes. Add the beans, garlic, and enough water to cover
the contents in the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium,
and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 2 hours. Add
more water if the mixture becomes dry and thick.

After 2 hours, mash about half of the mixture against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon.
Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 1/2 hours, or
until the mixture is creamy and the beans are soft. Add more water
if it becomes too thick. The mixture should be soupy but not watery.
Remove the bay leaves and serve with steamed white rice.

This is Emeril Lagasse's recipe with some modifications that I made. Also, when you do the mashing make sure to re-season the pot at that time (add some more salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste).

lil'duck
11/4/2006, 08:06 PM
This is Emeril Lagasse's recipe with some modifications that I made. Also, when you do the mashing make sure to re-season the pot at that time (add some more salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste).[/QUOTE]

I'm totally stealing your modified recipe. Sounds delish. Will credit handcrafted at soonferfans when my friends rave....:)

proud gonzo
11/5/2006, 12:02 AM
happy birthday