PDA

View Full Version : Very cool article about OU during WWI

Okla-homey
11/4/2006, 10:32 AM
In the newest edition of "The Chronicles of Oklahoma," the official journal of your Oklahoma Historical Society -- and a suh-weet benefit of membership.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5878/110412ok4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The article, Practically a Military School: The University of Oklahoma and World War I is written by David W. Levy.

In the article, Prof. Levy points out that when America entered the war, then university President Brooks told the assembled student body (on April 11, 1917) that the 907 men enrolled for the semester would remain enrolled and attend classes, but they would form a volunteer regiment and train daily until the end of the school year.

The next day, the student newspaper "Oklahoma Daily" heralded SPIRIT OF WAR INVADES SOONERLAND.

Two days later the "Daily" began reprinting US Army "Infantry Drill Regulations" and a fifteen page booklet appeared titled "Military Rules of the University of Oklahoma."

The entire campus took on the air of a military training camp and most shockingly, Coach (now lieutenant colonel) Bennie Owen (of Owen Field fame) announced that all athletic practices were cancelled until further notice so athletes could train alongside their classmates each afternoon.

The following fall, Coach Owen's edict was devastating to intercollegiate sports at OU. The 1917 football season was notable for the fact the largely unpracticed Sooners lost (for the first time ever) to the aggies of Stoolwater 9-0.:(

The 1918 season was even weirder. Military service continued to claim most of the lettermen, and Coach Owen had to rely mostly on freshmen. Nevertheless, that frosh dominated Sooner team scored 279 points to a total of only 7 by all opponents combined. 1918 was Coach Owen's third undefeated team and joined 1911 and 1915 as Sooners perfect seasons.:D :D

Not to be outdone, even before the men sprang into action, on April 10, OUr women students organized a massive Red Cross Society on campus and began nurses training under the tutelage of Edna Holland of the School of Medicine.

The coeds volunteered for one of three levels of commitment. Class A volunteered for posting to anywhere in the world they were needed. Class B volunteered for service in the US and Class C wanted to serve at home in Norman. By the end of April, 160 coeds had stepped up.

By war's end in November of 1918, more than 2300 students had contributed to the war effort. Of these, 1139 served in the active military. 885 volunteered (77.6%) and 254 were drafted. 21 students died in service, including one woman who joined and served as a nurse.

Most of the undefeated 1915 football team served in combat in France. Two were killed.

Bottomline: Take that aTm! Suck it you poser soldier bastages!

fadada1
11/4/2006, 10:55 AM
charles leslie high - "knee high" - founder of the RUF/NEKS, fought in WWI. his name is on the memorial plaque in the union.

just a bit o' history to add.

Dio
11/4/2006, 11:22 AM
And to think, we did all that without anybody having to squeeze their nuts once.

Okla-homey
11/4/2006, 11:43 AM
And to think, we did all that without anybody having to squeeze their nuts once.

I laughed out loud at that. Spek fired your way.:D

fadada1
11/4/2006, 12:08 PM
it just doesn't seem to make any sense, does it???

StoopTroup
11/4/2006, 12:16 PM
Aggie site? (http://crackyournuts.proboards30.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofile&user=Mutantlavalamp)

1stTimeCaller
11/4/2006, 12:39 PM
In other news, the 1TC Poll of College Footall has awarded The University Oklahoma a share of the National Titles for the years 1911, 1915 and 1918.

From this day forward OU can legitimately claim 10 National titles.

soonerloyal
11/4/2006, 03:22 PM
That proud history is yet another reason I HATE the Gaylord Fokker Family & their suckazz name on our Stadium. It WAS named to honor our Sooner Veterans. Now it's a joke.

I can't even escape that carpetbagging family even here in FL. Every time I drive on Osceola Parkway, I have to look at their over-the-top "Gaylord Palms" on the roadside.

Screw the Gaylords.

But thanks for a wonderful article!

Stitch Face
11/4/2006, 03:47 PM
How did we get "Owen" Field out of a guy named "Owens?" :confused:

soonerloyal
11/4/2006, 04:43 PM
At the risk of being snickered at for being snookered...and for those who really don't know...Owen Field is named for Bennie Owen. Not Steve Owens.

Should I go hide now? :eek:

Rogue
11/4/2006, 04:52 PM
That proud history is yet another reason I HATE the Gaylord Fokker Family & their suckazz name on our Stadium. It WAS named to honor our Sooner Veterans. Now it's a joke.

Screw the Gaylords.

But thanks for a wonderful article!

Spek, sir! I long for the days when we had to have a separate rant forum for this.

Okla-homey
11/4/2006, 04:58 PM
How did we get "Owen" Field out of a guy named "Owens?" :confused:

read the first post doc. He was Coach Owen.

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2006, 04:58 PM
its Owen Field, not owens...Bennie Owen

hey Homey - in fairness, why dont you tell us what contributions a&m made to the ww1 efforts?

Okla-homey
11/4/2006, 05:00 PM
its Owen Field, not owens...Bennie Owen

hey Homey - in fairness, why dont you tell us what contributions a&m made to the ww1 efforts?

I'm sure some guys from there went to fight too. Just like every other non-womens college and university in the United States in 1917.

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2006, 05:02 PM
ok, i guess since its gameday this is an "in your face" thread for the aggies

doesnt make sense otherwise

the finest officer i EVER served under is an aggie

Okla-homey
11/4/2006, 05:05 PM
ok, i guess since its gameday this is an "in your face" thread for the aggies

doesnt make sense otherwise

the finest officer i EVER served under is an aggie

Yes, because they simply do not have a monopoly on graduates and former students going off to fight in America's wars. That's what bugs me about them. They seem to act like they do have a monopoly on that.

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2006, 05:07 PM
i've never gotten that from them....most i've dealt with are just very proud of their institution and heritage....and they hate texas with an fervor only matched by Sooners....

you cant do military tradition half ***.....it just doesnt work....it has to be extreme, otherwise you look like the ROTC unit on Animal House

Okla-homey
11/4/2006, 05:09 PM
i've never gotten that from them....most i've dealt with are just very proud of their institution and heritage....and they hate texas with an fervor only matched by Sooners....

you cant do military tradition half ***.....it just doesnt work....it has to be extreme, otherwise you look like the ROTC unit on Animal House

Do you know what percentage of the total enrollment is actually a member of the aTm corps of cadets? Serious question.

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2006, 05:11 PM
around 10% or less..i know its a low number

but whats the point? i've never once heard them proclaim that every single graduate goes off to the military

i'm capable of looking at their stands and seeing that there are MANY more out of uniform that in

Okla-homey
11/4/2006, 05:13 PM
10%? So how is that not unlike the over-the-top Faber College ROTC detachment?;)

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2006, 05:14 PM
eh, we just have different opinions....i wont ever bash an institution that has a record of serving their country and being proud of their military heritage...they're like free advertising for the military, and frankly i dont see that as a bad thing

soonercody
11/4/2006, 07:04 PM
Actually I agree with JK but in the spirit of the week we play 'em and because so many of my aTm friends have great senses of humor I don't mind poking fun one week each year.

Petro-Sooner
11/5/2006, 03:25 PM
I wonder what the impression of the rest of the student body is regarding the cadets.

jk the sooner fan
11/5/2006, 03:41 PM
i'd be willing to bet that during WW1, the aggies cranked out more military folks than most universities......while the cadet population may be very low these days.....way back when, it was MUCH higher

Scott D
11/5/2006, 04:48 PM
I'd say that was likely, along with every other A&M at the time.