PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Sutton Found Unconsious

soonerlaw
11/3/2006, 01:05 PM
STILLWATER, Okla. -- Former Oklahoma State basketball coach Eddie Sutton was taken to a Stillwater hospital Friday morning after being found unresponsive in his car outside a Stillwater convenience store, police said.

According to Oklahoma State University officials, Sutton was alive and alert at a Stillwater hospital.

There was no immediate information about his condition

nativesooner
11/3/2006, 01:08 PM
Ouch poor guy...hope he's ok! He's really a nice guy even though he's a Poke.

fadada1
11/3/2006, 01:09 PM
how's the rehab going there, eddie????

hope he gets himself straightened out.

OSUAggie
11/3/2006, 01:09 PM
great....

stonecoldsoonerfan
11/3/2006, 01:11 PM
here's the newsok.com article for those that want a link
-----------------------------------------------

http://www.newsok.com/article/2966012
-----------------------------------------------

Fri November 3, 2006
Eddie Sutton found unconscious in his car

cc_sutton_2.jpg
Eddie Sutton wreck and charges
Eddie Sutton was involved in an injury accident on Feb. 10 that led to him being charged with drunken driving.

From staff reports
STILLWATER -- According to a report from the Stillwater Police, Eddie Sutton was found unconscious and unresponsive in his car at 9:34 a.m. Friday morning and was taken to Stillwater Medical Center by ambulance.

Story continues below advertisement

Sutton was found at a convenience store located at 19th and Sangre in Stillwater. A clerk called Stillwater Police.

According to a source, Sutton was undergoing tests at the hospital. A heart attack has been ruled out.

A formal statement is expected to be made sometime Friday afternoon.

Sutton, 70, retired last year as Oklahoma State's men's basketball coach. He took a leave of absence during the season following a car accident and DUI charge.

Sutton coached the Cowboys to two Final Fours.

Sutton's son Sean is now the Cowboys head coach.

fadada1
11/3/2006, 01:12 PM
According to Oklahoma State University officials, Sutton was alive and alert at a Stillwater hospital.

There was no immediate information about his condition
does anyone else think these are kind of stupid sentences. i know these came from the famed osu school of journalism and all, but really.... he was "alive and alert" with "no immediate info about his condition". thank heavens the stillwater hospital can make that diagnosis....

OSUAggie
11/3/2006, 01:14 PM
huh?

TheHumanAlphabet
11/3/2006, 01:29 PM
As I said in the South Oval thread...

Wanna bet alcohol was involved? I wouldn't be surprised if he relapsed...

I hope he fully recovers.

OSUAggie
11/3/2006, 01:32 PM
KFOR reporting that alcohol was not involved... reaction to new meds....

Luthor
11/3/2006, 01:32 PM
That liquid breakfast he's been on for about the past 30 years may need some adjustment.

Octavian
11/3/2006, 01:33 PM
KFOR reporting that alcohol was not involved... reaction to new meds....

did KFOR say who told them alcohol wasn't involved?

fwsooner22
11/3/2006, 01:34 PM
As I said in the South Oval thread...

Wanna bet alcohol was involved? I wouldn't be surprised if he relapsed...

I hope he fully recovers.

No alchohol..............show a little class would ya..........

JohnnyMack
11/3/2006, 01:35 PM

You obviously haven't been around here long enough. ;)

OSUAggie
11/3/2006, 01:36 PM
did KFOR say who told them alcohol wasn't involved?

Eddie put his bottle down to tell them that...

Stillwater Medical Center.. Although I think we all heard this line a few months ago.... So, I don't know.

Octavian
11/3/2006, 01:40 PM
someone should be assigned to follow Eddie whenever he goes out...

OSUAggie
11/3/2006, 01:42 PM
yes, he needs a driver... patsy needs to step up

The Maestro
11/3/2006, 01:43 PM
Why do I see images of Eddie Sutton as Shooter from Hoosiers in the near future?

OSUAggie
11/3/2006, 01:50 PM
Why do I see images of Eddie Sutton as Shooter from Hoosiers in the near future?

haha as sad as that is those are the same images i have

picasso
11/3/2006, 01:54 PM
"BLAM, IDENTIFY!!!!!!"

TWChad
11/3/2006, 02:02 PM
Someone should tell the pokes, thats what he gets for showboating like that. Acting all like he can drive and stuff. ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
11/3/2006, 02:03 PM

How do you know? Do you believe everything that comes from the news? The first thing they said last time was a "drug reaction". Given the years of alcohol abuse from Eddie, I would bet a relapse is more likely, or a reaction to alcohol and a prescription...

And as I said at the end, "I hope he recovers"...

poke4christ
11/3/2006, 02:07 PM
I'd like to thank those of you who showed some class in this event. This thread wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Those of you who didn't, I'll just leave it at no comment.

All reports now are saying that it was a reaction to the meds. Eddie should be fine and should be released later today.

Zach

mrowl
11/3/2006, 02:09 PM
isn't it always a "reaction to meds"? :D

I_SMELL_FEAR
11/3/2006, 02:11 PM
Yeah, its kinda hard to believe the med reaction line after they used it last time, but hopefully that is what happened this time...

poke4christ
11/3/2006, 02:13 PM
The officer who found him also said he had no odder of alchohol on him.

Zach

OSUAggie
11/3/2006, 02:14 PM
they need to start thinking of a different excuse for next time... like... heart attack.... or.... something that draws more sympathy than having a reaction to new meds... probably meds that should not be mixed with drving...

SoonerRecon
11/3/2006, 02:15 PM
med reaction or relapse, doesn't matter, can't $boone pickens$ hire a driver for this guy before he kills somebody?

Boomer.....
11/3/2006, 02:17 PM
Why was he driving? Shouldn't his license be suspended from the DUI?

The Maestro
11/3/2006, 02:17 PM

Zach

odder? Are you drinking?

Mjcpr
11/3/2006, 02:18 PM
odder? Are you drinking?

Technicality.

He actually said there was no odoor of alcohol in his parson.

The Consumate Showman
11/3/2006, 02:21 PM
Something about a zebra and spots or a leopard and stripes is coming to mind....maybe that's the Jack talking.....I'm going back to sleep now....

TheHumanAlphabet
You know the last time I had an alergic reaction to a medication. It was sudden and certain. I had an anaphylactic reaction and couldn't breathe. I was in obvious distress.

Collier11
ALL of you guys who made this into a joke about Coach Suttons struggles with alcohol should be ashmed!! Show some class!!

KABOOKIE
11/3/2006, 02:40 PM
ALL of you guys who made this into a joke about Coach Suttons struggles with alcohol should be ashmed!! Show some class!!

Yeah show some class. Because when he kills my 3 year old boy some day because he's intoxicated (AND PERSONALLY I DONT GIVE A **** IF ITS MEDS OR JACK ****ING DANIELS), it's because he has a "problem."

Ash

Zach

They also said this the last time.

:twinkies:

Whatever the cause, hope the poor old bird gets some help - driving if not with other matters.

mrowl
he doesn't "struggle" with alcohol. He chooses to open his mouth, and poor it down his throat. I don't see any "struggling" in that.

picasso
11/3/2006, 02:42 PM
odder is German for a 5th?

picasso
11/3/2006, 02:44 PM
http://www.cnn.com/WEATHER/9707/29/europe.floods/europe.oder.river.jpg
my bad, it's a river on the German border.

Beef
11/3/2006, 02:47 PM
he doesn't "struggle" with alcohol. He chooses to open his mouth, and poor it down his throat. I don't see any "struggling" in that.
He seems quite good at it, actually.

I'm on several medications for my heart condition and when I don't feel well after I take them, I don't get in my car. If it hit him out of the blue, then he shouldn't be taking his medications at convenience stores. He needs to take them at home and see what happens. Maybe read some labels and listen to his Dr. about the side effects. He lost being given the benefit of the doubt on things 20 years ago. If he only had a drinking problem, that would be one thing. He also seems to have an enormous "lack of good judgment" problem also. Regardless of my rant, I hope he gets better.

Ash
11/3/2006, 02:47 PM
http://www.cnn.com/WEATHER/9707/29/europe.floods/europe.oder.river.jpg
my bad, it's a river on the German border.

I had a bad Freienwalde once. Spent all night on the terlit.

And there's nothing worse than the Oder of Frankfurtander.

Sooner_Havok
11/3/2006, 02:57 PM
Come on Sooners. We need to show as much class as our Aggie "friends" did when AD got hurt. After all, that is what "friends" do.

picasso
11/3/2006, 03:00 PM
I'd like to thank those of you who showed some class in this event. This thread wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Those of you who didn't, I'll just leave it at no comment.

All reports now are saying that it was a reaction to the meds. Eddie should be fine and should be released later today.

Zach
I hope he's ok and I'm wondering if he should be driving anymore. at least for a while.

poke4christ
11/3/2006, 03:03 PM
I hope he's ok and I'm wondering if he should be driving anymore. at least for a while.

Agreed and thanks.

Zach

KABOOKIE
11/3/2006, 03:45 PM
Come on Sooners. We need to show as much class as our Aggie "friends" did when AD got hurt. After all, that is what "friends" do.

I'm pretty sure my chances of getting killed because AD plays football is pretty slim. Sutton on the other hand needs to be locked up.

CobraKai
11/3/2006, 03:49 PM
I'm pretty sure my chances of getting killed because AD plays football is pretty slim. Sutton on the other hand needs to be locked up.

My heart has nearly exploded on two separate occasions from watching AD kick !@#.

Boomer.....
11/3/2006, 03:57 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/BreakingNewsStory.asp?ID=061103_Br_sutton3

Updated: Eddie Sutton released from hospital
By Jimmie Tramel World Sports Writer
11/3/2006 2:44:00 PM

STILLWATER -- Former Oklahoma State University basketball coach Eddie Sutton was released from Stillwater Medical Center on Friday afternoon after being taken there by ambulance Friday morning.

Sutton was transported to the hospital after being found unconscious in a parked car in the parking lot of a Stillwater convenience store, according to a press release issued by the Stillwater Police Department.

Police and emergency personnel responded to the scene at 9:34 a.m. after they were alerted by a store clerk, according to a the press release.

Sutton was found to be unresponsive and was taken by ambulance to Stillwater Medical Center.

Stillwater Medical Center issued a press release confirming that Sutton was taken to the emergency room and was evaluated. The release said, "The (emergency room) physician stated that Mr. Sutton is not under the influence of alcohol; however, a possible reaction to new medication prescribed by his physician may be the cause of this incident. The physician expects the patient to be evaluated and released sometime today."

The press release also said Sutton's family "appreciates your thoughts and prayers at this time."

Sutton was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol following

a Feb. 10 automobile accident. He took a medical leave of absence after the accident and sought treatment for alcohol abuse. Sutton announced his retirement following the season.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/3/2006, 04:06 PM
Okay, so are they going to charge him with a DUI again? Technically he was in possession of the vehicle and a legit DUI. They just charged an OKC asst. D.A. for DUI for driving while taking medication, he caused a wreck. Just asking?

tnraider1
11/3/2006, 04:27 PM
All of you "show some class" folks need to shut up. Typical liberal response. My father was a horrible alcoholic, drank himself to death by the age of 42. I have no pity for him, or anyone else with this "problem." I am prone to it myself, and found myself passed out behind the wheel on multiple occasions before I realized that I needed to slow down. Addictive personality or not, by the time you are 150 years old, you should know better. Alcohol may or may not have been involved here, but prescription drugs were. Ever taken a Meprigan(sp)? A couple of those will have you in a coma in no time. When the old fart kills somebody, including himself, where will you stand then?

Crimsontothecore
11/3/2006, 04:39 PM
Why is everybody so shocked that he is still allowed to drive? You have to remember that this happened in the same town that condoned his drinking last time while they crucified the poor lady he nearly killed.
It's obvious the worthless slosh is at it again (or still). What a completely worthless waste of human flesh he is.

OldGuyinStudentSection
11/3/2006, 04:53 PM
Well, they found him at 9:30AM in the parking lot.

I wonder what time he showed up at the convenience store.

At least he passed out while parked this time.

poke4christ
11/3/2006, 06:03 PM
All of you "show some class" folks need to shut up. Typical liberal response. My father was a horrible alcoholic, drank himself to death by the age of 42. I have no pity for him, or anyone else with this "problem." I am prone to it myself, and found myself passed out behind the wheel on multiple occasions before I realized that I needed to slow down. Addictive personality or not, by the time you are 150 years old, you should know better. Alcohol may or may not have been involved here, but prescription drugs were. Ever taken a Meprigan(sp)? A couple of those will have you in a coma in no time. When the old fart kills somebody, including himself, where will you stand then?

Does that include Dusty?

Zach

Ruuuuuufus
11/3/2006, 06:18 PM
Shouldn't his license have been suspended after the last DUI?

Crimsontothecore
11/3/2006, 06:24 PM
Does that include Dusty?

Zach
There it is! I've been waiting for the Dvoracek reference.
Honestly Zach, as soon as you heard Eddie was tipping the bottle again, did you log on to soonerfans as quick as you could? Is the reaction here all you're worried about?
Trying to compare the issues of a young college student to that of a veteran college coach of over 30 years is weak at best.
That's what amazes me about you chokes, you're the first to throw daggers at OU when something happens (Sampson's phone calls, laughing at Peterson's injury, ect.) but when it happens to YOU, sensitivity is expected.

soonerjace
11/3/2006, 07:17 PM
Dusty=clean and sober playing in the NFL
E. Sutton=passed out behind the wheel twice in the same year ~obvious relapse be it drugs or alcohol.*Hope he gets sober

Aggies still suck!
Nuff Sed!

crimson&cream
11/3/2006, 07:25 PM
Some on here just can't help theselves, plead, beg conjole and they'll still show no class. But, now if it were themselves it'd probably be different.

Sooner_Havok
11/3/2006, 08:50 PM
That's what amazes me about you chokes, you're the first to throw daggers at OU when something happens (Sampson's phone calls, laughing at Peterson's injury, ect.) but when it happens to YOU, sensitivity is expected.

What was it they said in defense of laughing at AD?

He deserved to get hurt. It's not like he died or anything, so why can't we make fun of him?

Last I checked that old booze hound isn't dead so I guess it would be ok (by aggie-logic) to get a few jokes in at his expense. Ya, him having another " reaction to medication" is about as funny as a 20 year old missing out on the last part of his last season in college.

StoopTroup
11/3/2006, 09:19 PM
As long as he's just driving around Stillwater...

I'm OK with him driving.

Matter of fact...I hope he's out driving around town right now.

God Bless the old coot...

:pop:

OU-HSV
11/3/2006, 09:28 PM
This isn't the basketball forum ;)

sooneron
11/3/2006, 09:36 PM
Why does "Zach" feel the need to sign his name on EVERY post? It is my biggest pet peeve. I don't care what your name is and I sure as hell know that you have to be the one saying what is in your posts, cuz 9 times out of 10, no one else would be stupid enough to say it.

swardboy
11/3/2006, 09:44 PM
Does that include Dusty?

Zach

Stop giving Christ a bad name poke....

birddog
11/3/2006, 09:53 PM
Does that include Dusty?

Zach

i'm still amazed that dd was the first college student to ever drink.

he paid his dues. if dd relapses and makes another mistake, we can talk shiat on him.

picasso
11/3/2006, 10:42 PM
Dusty= early 20's kid, clean and sober playing in the NFL
E. Sutton=60 something yr old man, father, coach, mentor passed out behind the wheel twice in the same year ~obvious relapse be it drugs or alcohol.*Hope he gets sober

Aggies still suck!
Nuff Sed!

fixed.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/4/2006, 01:13 AM
Regarding class or no class, IMO, it's possible to both

1) empathize with someone struggling with alcohol (alcoholism IS classified as a disease)

and

2) simultaneously be disgusted that someone who knows, without question, that he is afflicted with said disease still chooses to get behind the wheel.

And I hope that it is true that alcohol played no part in this, but still--if it was new meds, why wasn't he staying at home and waiting until he saw how the meds would affect him before driving? As all pharmaceutical ads on TV advise? It's not like he had a job to get to or something.

birddog
11/4/2006, 01:20 AM
maybe he was leaving his graveyard shift at the convenience store, or whatever the hell it was.

Crimsontothecore
11/4/2006, 02:30 AM
It's not like he had a job to get to or something.
No, but he wanted to be at the liquor store when it opened:D

Collier11
11/4/2006, 03:04 AM
All of you "show some class" folks need to shut up. Typical liberal response.

Im sorry about your father, but just so you know...I am NOT a liberal so please dont ever call me that again!!1 ;)

Big Red Ron
11/4/2006, 05:37 AM
Why was he driving? Shouldn't his license be suspended from the DUI?

fadada1
11/4/2006, 08:05 AM
whoever negspeked me... why don't you show some class and nut up. i gotta agree with some of the comments previously mentioned... "what the hell was he doing behind the wheel in the first place??????"

1- alcohol problem
2- prescription meds
3- alcohol problem

it's fine to poke fun (to a point) because he hasn't hurt anyone but himself. BUT, if this asshat kills someone on the road... you think he reputation is tarnished now...

BajaOklahoma
11/4/2006, 08:44 AM
My first thought is to question the allergic reaction or the quality of care given at the hospital. A reaction severe enough to cause him to be slumped over the steering wheel and/or unresponsive (yes, I know it was later disputed) is a serious reaction. With an allergic reaction, there is the initial reaction, followed 6 to 12 hours later by a second (and usually more severe) reaction/issue. I was shocked that he was released from the hospital so quickly. It is standard procedure down here that the person be observed for 18 hours (basically they admit them overnight). Another reason I'm glad that I don't have any family in Stillwater.
Still, it's sad that his life has become a media circus.

mrowl
11/4/2006, 09:13 AM
1) empathize with someone struggling with alcohol (alcoholism IS classified as a disease)

and

2) simultaneously be disgusted that someone who knows, without question, that he is afflicted with said disease still chooses to get behind the wheel.

nope. A disease is something you don't choose to get. Alcoholism is not a disease. He opened his mouth, poured a bottle of crown into his stomach. He decided to get drunk and act like an idiot.

OUAndy1807
11/4/2006, 09:55 AM
cancer is a disease. nobody chooses to tip back a bottle of cancer.

to me, eating, drinking, smoking too much is an addiction, not a disease.

Crimsontothecore
11/4/2006, 10:07 AM
I was shocked that he was released from the hospital so quickly. It is standard procedure down here that the person be observed for 18 hours .
Apparently they administered two cups of a new miracle drug called COFFEE and he was better in no time.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/4/2006, 10:56 AM
http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/2181/transeddieje8.jpg.

picasso
11/4/2006, 10:57 AM
ok folks. I saw Eddie on the news last night and he looks great. I really have to think he's been clean and sober. he sounded a little weak from the incident but you can't deny he looks 10 times better than he has recently.

good luck to him.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/4/2006, 11:01 AM
I don't understand the whole 'disease' thing. I am an alcoholic and I am not ashamed to say so. I drank a lot for various reasons and got addicted. Addictions can be an uncontrollable nightmare, but luckily mine hasn't been. I just said screw it and quit. Most people can't do that. Addiction, yes. Disease? Someone is going to have to convince me.

fadada1
11/4/2006, 11:01 AM
judging by that picture, he does look much fitter than i expected.

StoopTroup
11/4/2006, 12:21 PM
He must be working out...

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/4/2006, 12:37 PM
nope. A disease is something you don't choose to get. Alcoholism is not a disease.

Well, you'd better alert those misinformed folks at the American Medical Association and the National Institutes of Health.

American Medical Association (http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/388/alcoholism_treatable.pdf)

NIH (http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/FAQs/General-English/FAQ2.htm)

StoopTroup
11/4/2006, 12:39 PM
pwned.

OSUAggie
11/4/2006, 01:02 PM
The only thing that needs to be done as far as Eddie is for himself to admit that he needs to get a driver. As people grow older, they develop the "I've been doing this for 50 years" ideology, and seem to never understand that they need to quit doing something. When you're pushing 70, just ran your SUV up a woman's a$$, and have a bit of a drinking/drug problem, you (or your wife) need to understand that it's probably not working out. Take the keys away.

Scott D
11/4/2006, 01:03 PM
Eddie will be fine, he just needs to quit seeing Terrell Owens' pharmacist.

Crimsontothecore
11/4/2006, 01:50 PM
The most embarrassing part is that osu is making the whole state look dumber than Kentucky.

StoopTroup
11/4/2006, 01:52 PM
Kentucky sour Mash and prescription drugs...

Tough combination to quit both at one time...

proud gonzo
11/4/2006, 02:40 PM
Come on Sooners. We need to show as much class as our Aggie "friends" did when AD got hurt. After all, that is what "friends" do.did you just compare drunk driving to accidentally breaking a collar bone?

really?

the_ouskull
11/4/2006, 03:06 PM
If I ever seen Eddie Sutton call a "picket fence" play, I'm pretty sure it would make my life.

the_ouskull

goingoneight
11/4/2006, 03:50 PM
yes, he needs a driver... patsy needs to step up

Patsy doesn't seem like the clubbin' type... :D

goingoneight
11/4/2006, 03:52 PM
I don't like the whole scenario he's got himself into, but I do believe people need the chance to get straight, no matter how long it takes. If it isn't alcohol or drug-induced, get well soon... if it is, come on old man, you're giving speeches to college students about this stuff, practice what you preach...

Sooner_Bob
11/4/2006, 05:01 PM
As long as he's just driving around Stillwater...

I'm OK with him driving.

Matter of fact...I hope he's out driving around town right now.

God Bless the old coot...

Well I hope you stay safe too . . .

you old coot. :D

Rogue
11/4/2006, 05:15 PM

and

SPEK!

Rogue
11/4/2006, 05:19 PM
Well, you'd better alert those misinformed folks at the American Medical Association and the National Institutes of Health.

American Medical Association (http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/388/alcoholism_treatable.pdf)

YMSSRA

mrowl
11/4/2006, 05:21 PM

so the next time a drunk person kills somebody in a car wreck, are you gonna say, oh, its not his fault, he has a disease? :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
11/4/2006, 05:27 PM
If I remember things right...

I believe many meds have warnings on them that say stuff like "DO NOT OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE OR MACHINERY WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION" and "MAKE SURE YOU GET USED TO THIS MEDICATION BEFORE RESUMING YOUR REGULAR ACTIVITIES"...

Anyway, what I'm gettin at is...

If it's a disease it's treatable....

If that disease includes a motor vehicle...it's a DUI I believe...

Doesn't matter if it's alcohol or prescription drugs or illegal substances...

Newbomb Turk
11/4/2006, 05:36 PM
so the next time a drunk person kills somebody in a car wreck, are you gonna say, oh, its not his fault, he has a disease? :rolleyes:

to be fair, she also posted this.

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSoonerGal

and

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/5/2006, 12:24 AM

Of course not. No affliction absolves one of personal responsibility.

poke4christ
11/13/2006, 04:27 PM
cancer is a disease. nobody chooses to tip back a bottle of cancer.

to me, eating, drinking, smoking too much is an addiction, not a disease.

I totally agree. It isn't a disease and Eddie deserves the consequences he had.

Second, believe it or not, I've never said anything bad about Dusty. I brought him up because much I feel that I've seen the same double standard some of you complain about displayed in this situation with Dusty and Eddie.

My view on Dusty is that he is a good guy who worked dang hard and fought off his problem. However, his re-admission to the team was based on the misuse of a rule that was meant for people who's medical issues prevented them from competing, not people who's medical issues (if you call it that) caused them to get kicked off the team. That's why the Big 12 originally denied the request.

Finally, I do apologize for my timing in bring up Dusty. It was inappropriate and rude and was said in retaliation to what was being said in various parts of the thread.

Zach

Boomer.....
11/13/2006, 04:57 PM
Nice apology. That is why you still are in the green.

Kels
11/13/2006, 06:36 PM
I saw Eddie Thursday night at the Braums in Stillwater. I'm telling you, he looks horrible. His skin is really dark (like George Hamilton), he wouldn't use his right hand, and he was shuffling around. One of my students got a pic with him using his cameraphone.

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/6835/eddiejacobei2.jpg

Fraggle145
11/13/2006, 06:39 PM
I saw Eddie Thursday night at the Braums in Stillwater. I'm telling you, he looks horrible. His skin is really dark (like George Hamilton), he wouldn't use his right hand, and he was shuffling around. One of my students got a pic with him using his cameraphone.

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photo/photo14/0d/cd/18d5f6864f93.jpg?tw=305&th=228&_rh=820i14grn6v06780tn4nyaad6
(https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photo/photo14/0d/cd/18d5f6864f93.jpg?tw=305&th=228&_rh=820i14grn6v06780tn4nyaad6)

Wow. he dont look good. :(

MiccoMacey
11/13/2006, 06:54 PM
My only question...why is he not in jail?

SoonerJLB
11/13/2006, 06:59 PM

My view on Dusty is that he is a good guy who worked dang hard and fought off his problem. However, his re-admission to the team was based on the misuse of a rule that was meant for people who's medical issues prevented them from competing, not people who's medical issues (if you call it that) caused them to get kicked off the team.

Dusty was a 21 year student football player and was not and has not been driving around all liquored-up on Jack Daniels for 50 years either.

Rhino
11/13/2006, 09:23 PM
They showed him at OSU's first basketball game this year and it looked like he had been in Tahiti for a year.

I still don't understand why he's allowed to operate a vehicle only eight months after an aggravated drunk driving charge. And how come no one in the media has questioned this?

poke4christ
11/13/2006, 09:37 PM
Dusty was a 21 year student football player and was not and has not been driving around all liquored-up on Jack Daniels for 50 years either.

What?? How is that a relate to what I just said? If you guys can make a good argument as to why the rule should have been used for dusty, I'd love to hear it, but don't make blind insults.

poke4christ
11/13/2006, 09:39 PM

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/6835/eddiejacobei2.jpg

He is a regular at Braums and would order shakes for the team and the staff the night before home games. I worked there so I made a lot of them. It's sad to hear how he looks. I had actually heard the opposite. Here's hoping he gets better. It really is a good thing that he's not coaching anymore.

Zach

picasso
11/13/2006, 09:41 PM
He is a regular at Braums and would order shakes for the team and the staff the night before home games. I worked there so I made a lot of them. It's sad to hear how he looks. I had actually heard the opposite. Here's hoping he gets better. It really is a good thing that he's not coaching anymore.

Zach
we saw him at Chili's a few years ago sneaking in at the bar and picking up a carry out dinner. I joked with my golfing buddies (mostly oSu donors and big time bball fans) that Eddie was paying his bar tab.;)

Paperclip
11/13/2006, 09:42 PM
He is a regular at Braums and would order shakes for the team and the staff the night before home games.

Improper benefits!!!!

usmc-sooner
11/13/2006, 09:47 PM
we saw him at Chili's a few years ago sneaking in at the bar and picking up a carry out dinner. I joked with my golfing buddies (mostly oSu donors and big time bball fans) that Eddie was paying his bar tab.;)

that's why they brought in T. Boone :D

sooneron
11/13/2006, 09:49 PM
Improper benefits!!!!
ding ding ding!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/13/2006, 09:53 PM
What?? How is that a relate to what I just said? If you guys can make a good argument as to why the rule should have been used for dusty, I'd love to hear it, but don't make blind insults.

A) Dusty attended and maintained a 4.0 GPA while not being allowed to practice or work out or even watch video with the team

B) He attended all of his alcoholism classes

C) Student Athletes are held to different standards than 50 year old coaches.

D) I think the NCAA granted his request because of the fact that he was a model student and citizen during his rehab time. The NCAA has shown they will give medical redshirts for fringe reasons if the player has shown the slightest off the field decentness

poke4christ
11/13/2006, 10:14 PM
A) Dusty attended and maintained a 4.0 GPA while not being allowed to practice or work out or even watch video with the team

How good of a person/student he is isn't in question. I'm on the same page as you guys in that regard. It still doesn't make it any more of a medical issue.

B) He attended all of his alcoholism classes

Same as above, irrelevant to my argument and the situation.

C) Student Athletes are held to different standards than 50 year old coaches.

What does that have to do with Dusty getting a medical redshirt? Again, whether he deserved another year is irrelevant. My argument has to do with the rules and whether or not they were held to.

D) I think the NCAA granted his request because of the fact that he was a model student and citizen during his rehab time. The NCAA has shown they will give medical redshirts for fringe reasons if the player has shown the slightest off the field decentness

Now this one's got some potential, but you got to back it up. As far as I know, the rule is meant for injuries. That's always been my impression and that's why I feel it was a misuse. If you can establish that the spirit of the law was not just meant for injuries, then that will mean something. Can you find some examples besides Dusty of its use in such cases as you eluded too? I figure it's like a 100 against one here so I think you guys would be able to find it if it's there.

Zach

MiccoMacey
11/13/2006, 10:46 PM
Now this one's got some potential, but you got to back it up. As far as I know, the rule is meant for injuries. That's always been my impression and that's why I feel it was a misuse. If you can establish that the spirit of the law was not just meant for injuries, then that will mean something. Can you find some examples besides Dusty of its use in such cases as you eluded too? I figure it's like a 100 against one here so I think you guys would be able to find it if it's there.

Zach

"As far as I know". "That's always been my impression". "I feel".

No offense, but just because it was interpreted differently than what you thought it should have been is just as irrelevant.

The NCAA decided it should be so. They are the ones who get to say how it should be interpreted, and what the spirit of the law is meant for.

For you to argue based on what you "think" it should be used for based on your "impression" is pretty arrogant.

Who are you to decide the punishment? Have you read the entire chapter on medical red-shirting? Or are you just basing your opinion on the way you think it works?

I'm really not saying this in any malicious tone...I just don't understand why the NCAA has to justify its rulings to you. I'm pretty sure they are aware of what the issues are.

Having said that, I am still wondering why Sutton isn't in jail.

poke4christ
11/13/2006, 11:35 PM
"As far as I know". "That's always been my impression". "I feel".

No offense, but just because it was interpreted differently than what you thought it should have been is just as irrelevant.

The NCAA decided it should be so. They are the ones who get to say how it should be interpreted, and what the spirit of the law is meant for.

For you to argue based on what you "think" it should be used for based on your "impression" is pretty arrogant.

Who are you to decide the punishment? Have you read the entire chapter on medical red-shirting? Or are you just basing your opinion on the way you think it works?

I'm really not saying this in any malicious tone...I just don't understand why the NCAA has to justify its rulings to you. I'm pretty sure they are aware of what the issues are.

Valid point. But the NCAA does have to juststify it's ruling if for no other reason than the fact that it is called a "medical reshirt". Also, the fact that the Big 12 originally denied the request tells me that there was a debate.

To answer your question though, no I haven't read the chapter and I doubt anybody else here has. So, let's do that. I've been trying to find it, but I can't. Anybody else who can, please post a link.

I am interested in finding the truth here, not ripping OU. If you guys provide a valide argument, I'll respect it.

Zach

sportsproducer
11/14/2006, 12:10 AM

Second, believe it or not, I've never said anything bad about Dusty. I brought him up because much I feel that I've seen the same double standard some of you complain about displayed in this situation with Dusty and Eddie.

My view on Dusty is that he is a good guy who worked dang hard and fought off his problem. However, his re-admission to the team was based on the misuse of a rule that was meant for people who's medical issues prevented them from competing, not people who's medical issues (if you call it that) caused them to get kicked off the team. That's why the Big 12 originally denied the request.

Finally, I do apologize for my timing in bring up Dusty. It was inappropriate and rude and was said in retaliation to what was being said in various parts of the thread.

Zach

FYI, Dusty was not the first player to receive an extra year due to alcoholism. He was not even the second. It has actualyy happened 9 times before his request was grnted by the NCAA. Jeff Smoker at Michigan State was the most noted before Dusty Dvoracek. When Dusty first came back to Coach Stoops and stated that he wanted to come back Bob simly told him he would have to take care of his re-instatement status. (Also let me state that Dusty was projected to be no lower than a late 3rd round pick so he did not have to come back)

Dusty and his family attorneys already knew the Big 12 was not going to re-instate, although the vote was surprisingly 6-6. However the Bog 12 also informed his attorneys that the NCAA would assuredly re-instate him because a president ahd already been set. Dvoracek has a form of alcoholism in which it was more like a chemial issue than drinking too much. Dvoracek was involved in a incident where he and his friend went to fist-a-cuffs and his freind received a head injury. There is also some major embelishment on what actually happened.

However bottom line Dvoracek cleaned himself up, he faced his demons and continues to face them today. He did not have to come back but he did not want his legacy at OU to be the guy who got drunk and cracked his friends head open. I'm a huge fan of Eddie Sutton. I sat right behind him at the Bill Teegins funeral and the man had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Bottom line is this man has issues and he continues to get behind the wheel and continues to endanger others. Either he, or his son or his wife or the OSU admin needs to stop enabling him and get th eman a personal driver so he can take whatever pills he needs and if he desires a drink, which he continues to do, he can without endangering himself and others.

poke4christ
11/14/2006, 09:32 AM
Either he, or his son or his wife or the OSU admin needs to stop enabling him and get th eman a personal driver so he can take whatever pills he needs and if he desires a drink, which he continues to do, he can without endangering himself and others.

You were doing so great. Great points, great compliment to Eddie. Then you screw the whole thing up by saying that Eddie is still drinking. All evidence points to the fact that he is sober and you have no more room to say he is drinking than I have to say that Dusty is drinking.

That said, you made some good points on the part of the Dusty incident. I was not aware that there were nine previous incidents. I have heard of Jeff Smoker, but I've been unable to find the story through google searches. Got any links to stories? Also, in these cases were they kicked off the team or simply prevented from playing. That (IMHO) makes a big difference.

If all this is correct, I'll agree that the ruling was correct when based on previous rulings. However, Just because a precidence has been set, doesn't make it right. Either way I think that someone who is kicked off a team should not be able to regain that year of eligability. For instance, Brown just got kicked off the OSU B-ball team. If he cleans up and comes back next year, he shouldn't get that year back, no matter what the reason for his dismissal.

Zach

poke4christ
11/14/2006, 10:22 AM
I can't find anything official on Jeff smoker and the forums I'm finding have mixed information. Some say he did, some say he didn't. As far as I can tell, he was only reinstated to the team, not given a medical redshirt. Here's his bio from MSU.

http://msuspartans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smoker_jeff00.html

This shows three years with 2003 being his senior year. In 2004, he was in the NFL. Therefore, he only had 4 years of playing in college. Why would he need to petition for an extra year?

MiccoMacey
11/14/2006, 11:48 AM
All I can say is the NCAA decided that alcoholism is a medical disease (as does the AMA, and the APA) and that he should be granted a year of eligibility. That's good enough for me.

Still, why isn't Eddie Sutton in jail?

And before you write me off, please remember I am an OSU alum. This is not some "Sooner-hatred-of-all-things-orange" rant. I am seriously disappointed he's not in jail.

OSUAggie
11/14/2006, 11:52 AM
Shouldn't the real question be why Zach hasn't been signed on like 2 or maybe 3 of poke4christ's posts in this thread??

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/14/2006, 12:01 PM
Well Zach has seemed pretty level headed throughout and has even made some great points in this thread. As you can tell from his green spek, he is one of the pokes that we can tolerate. The better questionn is why aren't you signing yours

poke4christ
11/14/2006, 12:02 PM
Here's the story on Sutton's court appearance for those interested. The first is a DO article, the second is TW.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=23341&highlight=Sutton

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=23339&highlight=Sutton

Zach

MiccoMacey
11/14/2006, 12:05 PM
He was drunk while hiting the lady back in the Spring, and he was under the influence when driving his car this time.

I understand this was "allegedly" a medical mix-up, but that's twice he has driven under the influence and he gets off scott free. If it were you or I, we'd be behind bars making big rocks into little rocks.

Rhino
11/14/2006, 12:30 PM
So did this latest incident not violate his year-long probation?

poke4christ
11/14/2006, 01:32 PM
So did this latest incident not violate his year-long probation?

Well he wasn't technically driving, but that's a good question. I don't know if this would qualify as a DUI (influence of medication), but it wasn't really talked about that much. This is the only place I've seen it brought up.

Zach

poke4christ
11/14/2006, 01:33 PM
Well Zach has seemed pretty level headed throughout and has even made some great points in this thread. As you can tell from his green spek, he is one of the pokes that we can tolerate. The better questionn is why aren't you signing yours

:confused: There are others? :confused:

I must find them and eliminate them. I can't allow any competition.

Zach

Rhino
11/14/2006, 01:50 PM
Well he wasn't technically driving, but that's a good question. I don't know if this would qualify as a DUI (influence of medication), but it wasn't really talked about that much. This is the only place I've seen it brought up.

Zach Well, he had to get to the convenience story somehow. Unless, of course, he took the medicine after he parked the car and it immediately kicked in.

If the police can slap a DUI on you for being drunk, parked and having keys anywhere near the vehicle, you'd think they'd be able to due the same if you're under the influence of medication while parked and having keys near the vehicle.

daveNnorman
11/14/2006, 06:16 PM
A guy I know was so drunk He had to be hospitalised, he was in a store parking lot passed out, and emsa took him to the ER, If I recall the Police can't do anything to you on private property unless a owner or someone incharge of the private property signs a complaint aginst you. so that is probably how eddie got out of that.

MiccoMacey
11/14/2006, 06:25 PM

Zach

Of COURSE this is the only place that talks about it. We're Sooners. :D

And yes, dosage mix-ups on medication qualify as a DUI. He is under the influence. Someone posted a link about an attorney or some city official that got hammered (no pun intended) for just the same thing.

I can see where there can be leniency for this, as trying to get the dosage right or having some types of medicine might have some unusual effects and aren't always accurate until you get the right dosage and your body learns how to react with the drug. But not for someone who just got a year probabtion for... another DUI.

Edit: Thanks Dave. This might answer my question.

Scott D
11/14/2006, 06:55 PM
Eddie was only at the convenience store to get a money order for the rest of the payment he owed to Chris Mills' father.

stoopified
11/15/2006, 09:21 AM
KFOR reporting that alcohol was not involved... reaction to new meds....By new meds does this mean Sutton has switched from Johnny Walker Black to Johnny Walker Red?

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/15/2006, 10:06 AM
Holy ****...Robert Allen was just on the sports animal...OSU just got Dirk Nowitzki!!! Suttons sure can recruit!