PDA

View Full Version : Top Evangelical Minister Resigns Admist Gay Hooker Sex Scandal

Pages : 1 [2]

crawfish
11/3/2006, 06:14 PM
I have to get into one of these annually.

Guys, kick me in the shins if I get involved in another one before next October. ;)

Scott D
11/3/2006, 06:15 PM
mwahahaha..ok.

OklahomaTuba
11/3/2006, 06:20 PM
Ack, just saw this guys excuse.

What BS.

birddog
11/3/2006, 08:19 PM
i'm not reading thru the whole thread.

haggard admitted to buying meth and then throwing it away when he went home.

also he admitted he met the male prostitute but only received a massage.

case closed....

critical_phil
11/3/2006, 08:22 PM

he's a lying faggot. case closed....

i agree.

birddog
11/3/2006, 08:33 PM
them's feather rufflin' words around here. :D

critical_phil
11/3/2006, 08:36 PM
well, there's no way i'm reading this whole thread either.

i just wanted to say that he's a lying faggot.

olevetonahill
11/3/2006, 08:37 PM

case closed....
Aint that what I said ? ya buy dope from a fag . take a massage from a fag then ur a fag !

opksooner
11/3/2006, 11:05 PM

I feel extremely blessed when I can help others in need out. Changing a flat tire for somebody, giving somebody some gas who's run out, giving some advice to a dumbass teenager, etc. My wife and I often say when we're walking around the ranch "what did we do to deserve all this?" And the answer we come up with is "we believe that God gave it all to us for a reason and it is our job to caretake it, caretake the animals, and to praise Him for it." So we do. Her at the church house, me in a deer stand or on a tractor or just walking through the woods or across a meadow.
Dean, you do realize of course that, based on the above, you could be Jewish. :D

:pop:

Mongo
11/3/2006, 11:26 PM
IBTTPCJL

In Before The Ten Page Circle Jerk Lock

1stTimeCaller
11/4/2006, 12:11 AM

case closed....

I was a little sleepy this morning but I thought I saw him on TV saying that he had no idea who the accuser was. heh.

When you find yourself in a hole the smart thing to do is quit digging.

btw, Handcrafted, you might not want to bet on the ponies tomorrow in the Breeder's Cup because your horse in this race didn't Show. And did you really try to use Leviticus for your homosexual argument? Really? I thought you knew something about the Bible. There are more and better scriptures to use as Leviticus is too easy to punch holes in. Sheesh.

sanantoniosooner
11/4/2006, 12:20 AM
Guys.......I could use scripture on the homo thing.

But the truth is that plumbers can prove it doesn't work.

Mongo
11/4/2006, 12:48 AM
I was a little sleepy this morning but I thought I saw him on TV saying that he had no idea who the accuser was. heh.

When you find yourself in a hole the smart thing to do is quit digging.

btw, Handcrafted, you might not want to bet on the ponies tomorrow in the Breeder's Cup because your horse in this race didn't Show. And did you really try to use Leviticus for your homosexual argument? Really? I thought you knew something about the Bible. There are more and better scriptures to use as Leviticus is too easy to punch holes in. Sheesh.

What are they then? If you know AND accept the Bible, and you know scripture that punches holes in homo acts, then share them with us.

1stTimeCaller
11/4/2006, 09:34 AM
The Abominable Shellfish
Why some Christians hate gays but love bacon

The third book of the Bible, Leviticus, has some wonderful passages. The Jubilee laws outlined in chapter 25, for example, provide an inspiring vision of liberty and justice for all. The 10th verse of this chapter even supplied the inscription for the Liberty Bell: "proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof."

The Jubilee laws and the ideals they embody, unfortunately, are nearly wholly neglected and forgotten. Most of the book of Leviticus is similarly neglected.

Yet some passages live on, their teachings still regarded as unwavering and binding.

One such passage is Lev. 20:13, which says (in the King James Version), "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination."

That passage is frequently cited by the spokesmen of the religious right to explain why they're so adamantly opposed to allowing homosexuals to enjoy full civil rights here in America.

The thing is, though, that the book of Leviticus condemns a lot of things as "abominations." The 11th chapter is overflowing with abominations. For example, from verses 10-12:

And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

The folks over on the religious right cite Leviticus as evidence that homosexuals are an unclean "abomination," yet they have no problem eating at Red Lobster. What gives?

Since many observers have noted this apparent inconsistency (see, for example, godhatesshrimp.com) I figured I would wade in to try to explain why it is that so many contemporary Christians reject gays while embracing shellfish.

To understand why God is no longer considered a hater of shrimp you have to flip ahead to the Acts of the Apostles, the good doctor's account of the early days of the Christian church.

Acts chapter 10 finds the apostle Peter on a rooftop in Joppa, praying at noon before heading down to lunch.

The impulsive former fisherman has grown into a genuine leader in the early church. At Pentecost, he preached the gospel to people from every corner of the Roman Empire and he is slowly appreciating that this new community is supposed to transcend any ethnic or cultural boundaries. But the goyim still seem to bug him a bit. Especially the Romans.

So God gives him a vision. Peter falls into a trance and sees a vision of a giant tablecloth descending from heaven. The tablecloth is covered with honeybaked hams, cheesesteaks, crab cakes, calamari and lobster.

"Eat up, Peter," a voice tells him

"Surely not, Lord!" Peter says. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."

"Don't call anything unclean that God has made clean," the voice says. "And try the angels on horseback, they're like butter."

This happens three times.

This is generally regarded as an instance in which a New Testament passage seems to set aside a prohibition from the Old Testament. And that's why our friends on the religious right do not feel compelled to eat kosher and do not consider shellfish to be "an abomination."

Fair enough, but there's something else going on in this story. The main point of Peter's rooftop epiphany has nothing to do with diet. The main point of this vision had to do with the people who were about to knock on Peter's door.

Peter is about to meet Cornelius. Cornelius is a gentile. Worse than that, he is a Roman. Worse than that, he is a Roman centurion. Cornelius is about as kosher as a bacon double cheeseburger.

But give Peter credit -- he understood the vision. "Don't call anything unclean that God has made clean." Don't call anyone unclean that God has made clean.

Peter does not treat Cornelius as an unclean outsider. He travels to the centurion's house, where he says, "You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile or visit him. But God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean."

Peter gets it. In this new community that God is building, this church, there is neither Jew nor Greek, male nor female, slave nor free. No one is excluded as unclean.

This is the unsubtle point that Luke is hammering home for his gentile friend Theophilus. The surrounding chapters of Acts read like a hyper-P.C. after-school special on celebrating diversity. The church embraces Jews and gentiles, Roman soldiers and slaves, men and women, Africans, Greeks and even a token white European.

In our fondness for Easter ham, we Christians have fervently clung to the surface-level meaning of Peter's vision. But we haven't been as enthusiastic about embracing the larger, more important lesson God was teaching him there on the rooftop. When the "unclean" outsiders knock on our doors, we don't like inviting them in.

That, in a nutshell, is why some Christians happily dismiss one "abomination" while still behaving abominably out of allegiance to another.

(Oh, and what about Leviticus' Jubilee laws? Those were never set aside by anything in the New Testament, but Christians no longer treat them as authoritative because, um ... well, because money is pretty and shiny and let's us buy nice things.)

taken from http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2004/07/the_abominable_.html

www.godhatesshrimp.com has some good stuff too.

I'm also pretty sure that God doesn't want us to hate other people using Him as our reason to.

sanantoniosooner
11/4/2006, 10:27 AM
dang homo talk gets old.

crawfish
11/4/2006, 10:30 AM
I'm also pretty sure that God doesn't want us to hate other people using Him as our reason to.

Word on that, although opposing gay marriage doesn't quite fall in that category.

I'm not in agreement with the "if you don't agree with me 100% then you hate me" argument. Just because we're all sinners doesn't mean there is no sin. :)

Mongo
11/4/2006, 10:31 AM
dang homo talk gets old.

Pipe down homo

crawfish
11/4/2006, 10:31 AM
dang homo talk gets old.

I have never been as attracted to you as I am right now.

sanantoniosooner
11/4/2006, 10:33 AM
abominations.......all of you.

birddog
11/4/2006, 05:31 PM
so, this dude's out for good. sexually immoral conduct. he did give the guy a boffin'.

Jerk
11/4/2006, 06:01 PM
I'm curious...

Was this Haggard guy one of the charasmatic "prosperity preachers"?

You know...the kind that talk about "love gifts" and God "making you rich"?

sanantoniosooner
11/4/2006, 06:03 PM
I'm curious...

Was this Haggard guy one of the charasmatic "prosperity preachers"?

You know...the kind that talk about "love gifts" and God "making you rich"?
That would make your day wouldn't it?:D

Jerk
11/4/2006, 06:06 PM
That would make your day wouldn't it?:D

Nah, it would further affirm some of my beliefs. I'm not a big fan of the "YOU'RE HEALED!" crowed (unless the person saying those words is Jesus Christ Himself)

If anyone got a "special message" in tongues from this guy....they might want to re-evaluate as to whether or not it was derived from a Devine source. (I don't mean any gross connotations here)

Frozen Sooner
11/4/2006, 06:06 PM
Where'd I leave my eleven-foot pole? Hmmm. All I have around here is a ten-footer.

So I ain't touching this thread.

sanantoniosooner
11/4/2006, 06:14 PM
Nah, it would further affirm some of my beliefs. I'm not a big fan of the "YOU'RE HEALED!" crowed (unless the person saying those words is Jesus Christ Himself)

If anyone got a "special message" in tongues from this guy....they might want to re-evaluate as to whether or not it was derived from a Devine source. (I don't mean any gross connotations here)
Let me just say that there are more than enough NON-Christians that are willing to beat up believers.

If we could avoid a little of the infighting, it might be to our benefit.

Jerk
11/4/2006, 06:28 PM
Let me just say that there are more than enough NON-Christians that are willing to beat up believers.

If we could avoid a little of the infighting, it might be to our benefit.

I'm not beating up anybody....just stating my personal beliefs. If I'm wrong, I will have to answer for it. I'll probably have to answer for alot of things. Remember the parable of Lazarus and The Rich Man? The deal was that the Pharisees believed that they were rich because God gave them favor, and at the same time they ignored the needs of the poor?

I don't think much has changed in 2000 years.

When it comes to 'giving' I am no saint myself.

sanantoniosooner
11/4/2006, 06:30 PM
I'm not beating up anybody....just stating my personal beliefs. If I'm wrong, I will have to answer for it. I'll probably have to answer for alot of things. Remember the parable of Lazarus and The Rich Man? The deal was that the Pharisees believed that they were rich because God gave them favor, and at the same time they ignored the needs of the poor?

I don't think much has changed in 2000 years.

When it comes to 'giving' I am no saint myself.
It was already pointed out that he tithed 90%. I think he had the money issue in check.

Jerk
11/4/2006, 06:31 PM
It was already pointed out that he tithed 90%. I think he had the money issue in check.

90% of what?

sanantoniosooner
11/4/2006, 06:35 PM
90% of what?
his income.

Believe it or not, some actually do this. I know some.

Jerk
11/4/2006, 06:38 PM
Ok, I could go further with this but I'm going to stop.

I knew it was his income. That really wasn't the question.

sanantoniosooner
11/4/2006, 06:39 PM
Ok, I could go further with this but I'm going to stop.

I knew it was his income. That really wasn't the question.
I could reply some more, but I'll pass:D

Jerk
11/4/2006, 06:42 PM
I could reply some more, but I'll pass:D

Okay.

I don't know what Haggard's issue is. I really never heard of him before all of this broke out. Only God knows his heart so.....I'll just leave it at that.

mdklatt
11/4/2006, 09:16 PM
Mark Driscoll blog (http://theresurgence.com/md_blog_2006-11-03_evangelical_leader_quits)

Mark Driscoll is apparently a pastor in Seattle, WA. This is his blog response to the Ted Haggard situation.

As every pastor knows, we are always at risk from the sin in us and the sinful temptations around us. Pastoring in one of America’s least churched cities to a large number of single, young people has been an eye-opening experience for me. ... On one occasion I actually had a young woman put a note into my shirt pocket while I was serving communion with my wife, asking me to have dinner, a massage, and sex with her. On another occasion a young woman emailed me a photo of herself topless and wanted to know if I liked her body. Thankfully, that email was intercepted by an assistant and never got to me.

Or what, you couldn't have helped yourself? :rolleyes:

Most pastors I know do not have satisfying, free, sexual conversations and liberties with their wives. At the risk of being even more widely despised than I currently am, I will lean over the plate and take one for the team on this. It is not uncommon to meet pastors’ wives who really let themselves go; they sometimes feel that because their husband is a pastor, he is therefore trapped into fidelity, which gives them cause for laziness. A wife who lets herself go and is not sexually available to her husband in the ways that the Song of Songs is so frank about is not responsible for her husband’s sin, but she may not be helping him either.

Wow.

Churches should consider returning to heterosexual male assistants who are like Timothy and Titus to serve alongside pastors. Too often the pastor’s assistant is a woman who, if not sexually involved, becomes too emotionally involved with the pastor as a sort of emotional and practical second wife. I have been blessed with a trustworthy heterosexual male assistant who can travel with me, meet with me, etc., without the fear of any temptations or even false allegations since we have beautiful wives and eight children between us.

Good lord, are you a sex addict or something? And that's two mentions of your "heterosexual male assistant". Something about protesting too much comes to mind....

sanantoniosooner
11/4/2006, 11:58 PM
Mark Driscoll blog (http://theresurgence.com/md_blog_2006-11-03_evangelical_leader_quits)

Mark Driscoll is apparently a pastor in Seattle, WA. This is his blog response to the Ted Haggard situation.

Or what, you couldn't have helped yourself? :rolleyes:

Wow.

Good lord, are you a sex addict or something? And that's two mentions of your "heterosexual male assistant". Something about protesting too much comes to mind....
you are missing a lot here.

The question isn't always if you can be master of your domain. The question is avoiding the appearance of inappropriateness. All it takes is the accusation to bring you down. My wife and I worked with youth for 7 years and children for a few more. There are so many things you have to watch out for just so you can't be accused of something. If I was driving 10 kids home and only one was a boy that lived across the street, he would be the last one I dropped off just because. It had nothing to do with me controlling my urges. It had to do with a society that makes accusations that ruins lives and ministries.

I know personally of some situations where people didn't like a minister and tried to bring him down with creating a situation that looked bad.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/5/2006, 12:33 AM
I can't believe I read the whole thing.

sanantoniosooner
11/5/2006, 12:34 AM
I can't believe I read the whole thing.
Did you buy the t-shirt?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/5/2006, 12:41 AM
The "I read all 15 pages and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" shirt?

sanantoniosooner
11/5/2006, 12:42 AM
Actually we snapped a photo of you when you rounded page 13.

Hopefully you looked scared.

tbl
11/5/2006, 12:43 AM

The question isn't always if you can be master of your domain. The question is avoiding the appearance of inappropriateness. All it takes is the accusation to bring you down. My wife and I worked with youth for 7 years and children for a few more. There are so many things you have to watch out for just so you can't be accused of something. If I was driving 10 kids home and only one was a boy that lived across the street, he would be the last one I dropped off just because. It had nothing to do with me controlling my urges. It had to do with a society that makes accusations that ruins lives and ministries.

I know personally of some situations where people didn't like a minister and tried to bring him down with creating a situation that looked bad.
Good post. Also, I don't know many men that are above temptation when it comes to women. I'm not saying every man would cheat at the drop of a hat, but we all know how we are.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/5/2006, 12:46 AM
Actually we snapped a photo of you when you rounded page 13.

Hopefully you looked scared.of me in the shirt?

sanantoniosooner
11/5/2006, 12:48 AM
of me in the shirt?
http://www.castlesncoasters.com/images/sky-dive-scream.jpg

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/5/2006, 12:49 AM
Not me. Feet are too big.

sanantoniosooner
11/5/2006, 12:51 AM
Not me. Feet are too big.
I'm really trying.

You really aren't in the mood to laugh are you?

Scott D
11/5/2006, 01:07 AM
Good post. Also, I don't know many men that are above temptation when it comes to women. I'm not saying every man would cheat at the drop of a hat, but we all know how we are.

60% of married men cheat....40% of married women cheat.

JohnnyMack
11/5/2006, 02:02 PM
So now that this guy admits he's an effing liar, is it OK if I OFFICIALLY laugh my *** off at the blatant hypocrisy of this situation?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15536263/

sanantoniosooner
11/5/2006, 02:44 PM
So now that this guy admits he's an effing liar, is it OK if I OFFICIALLY laugh my *** off at the blatant hypocrisy of this situation?

It's just a shame that it doesn't only affect him.

StoopTroup
11/5/2006, 04:12 PM
Why don't some of these guys just get themselves a good Eunuch.

It worked for many of the Romans.

crawfish
11/5/2006, 08:54 PM

Not until he actually marries the guy. ;)

I can't believe this thing is still alive. Actually, I can.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2006, 09:05 PM
It's just a shame that it doesn't only affect him.
Exactly....I dont have sympathy for him but I feel for his family and the 14,000 people that attend that church....

I have heard many try to explain away what he did...As an associate and a youth pastor, I have realized that I still make a lot of mistakes everyday, most somewhat stupid...But to damage my family...Thats worse than anything he has brought on his church and christians as a whole....

Its pretty funny now but I was in a meeting with Haggard and about 150 other people a couple of weeks ago at ORU...He was telling the senior pastors that when they go to hire someone to work in the church, he has to be well dresssed, groomed nicely, and have a good build...seriously...not one word about God wanting that person there...Anyway right after he made that statement, i told the person sitting next to me "That sounds pretty gay to me" and the guy looked at me like I was the devil for saying it.......well....muuhhhaaahhaaaaa

JohnnyMack
11/5/2006, 09:35 PM
300!

Stoop Dawg
11/6/2006, 02:44 PM

The question isn't always if you can be master of your domain. The question is avoiding the appearance of inappropriateness. All it takes is the accusation to bring you down.

I think if you read the quoted parts again, you'll see that the pastor is specifically addressing temptations - not the appearance of impropriety.

I agree with klatt, WOW.

crawfish
11/6/2006, 02:45 PM
300!

Hey! Mark Foley said that, too!

:texan:

C&CDean
11/6/2006, 04:45 PM
This thread is officially gay.

dolemitesooner
11/6/2006, 04:48 PM
This thread is officially gay.
No really what gave you that idea....Was it the word gay in the title or the poster or said thread.

Because to be honest I never posted in this thread until now so it had to be gay. I can't believe you did not pick up on this earlier. A man with your pecan knowledge and all

JohnnyMack
11/6/2006, 04:55 PM
Speaking of Gay, Dean are you still buying me dinner Friday night in B-More?

dolemitesooner
11/6/2006, 05:00 PM
if a girl has her tounge peirced she'll probaly suck your dick

If dean buys you dinner HE'LL suck your dick

BlondeSoonerGirl
11/6/2006, 05:03 PM
Well.

I think I'm gonna sit right here and see what happens.

dolemitesooner
11/6/2006, 05:04 PM
Well.

I think I'm gonna sit right here and see what happens.
:D

C&CDean
11/6/2006, 05:10 PM
Don't ask don't tell I always say.

C&CDean
11/6/2006, 05:11 PM

Friday night? I'm leaving this hole Thursday morning. I'll buy you a drink tonight, tomorrow night, or Wednesday night.

dolemitesooner
11/6/2006, 05:11 PM
Don't ask don't tell I always say.
Ohh ****....sorry dean didn't mean to let that slip

dolemitesooner
11/6/2006, 05:12 PM
Friday night? I'm leaving this hole Thursday morning. I'll buy you a drink tonight, tomorrow night, or Wednesday night.
Did you get the king size bed for after?

C&CDean
11/6/2006, 05:12 PM
And you may wanna reread your post.

dolemitesooner
11/6/2006, 05:14 PM
And you may wanna reread your post.
YEAH ...OK YOUR A TRICKY BASTERD...DON'T WORRY I'LLL GET YOU BACK YOU AND YOUR LITTLE FAG LOVER JJOHHNYMACK TOO :)

Widescreen
8/25/2007, 06:01 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294538,00.html

He's wanting people to kick in monthly while he and his wife and getting their education. I guess he's finding it difficult to live the life to which he's become accustomed on his current money.

Edmond Sooner
8/25/2007, 06:19 PM
The Rev. Ted Haggard, who left the megachurch he founded after admitting to "sexual immorality," has asked supporters for financial assistance while he and his wife pursue their studies.

What, pray tell, is that all about? What are they "studying"? Incidentally, I got a gander at that salary and "bonus" before it came out he was catching instead of pitching: I went into the wrong business, should've gone into the TV Preacher Racket. :eek: