PDA

View Full Version : Bark Collars

LilSooner
11/3/2006, 09:04 AM
So I'm looking for bark collars for my three dogs. They will not shut up! I think a large part of it has to do with my step dad's hunting dog being in heat next door and male dogs coming and sniffing around (hunting dog goes to get bred in Atlanta next week). But since we are moving to town next month I don't want to **** off the new neighbors.

Any recomendation on brands? I do not want a shock collar. I just need some consistancy to teach them not just bark for barking sake.

usmc-sooner
11/3/2006, 09:23 AM
I think a bark collar is the same as a shock collar, unless it just constricts around their neck when they bark. :D

I got a shock collar to keep my dog from digging and pawing on the door, I used it for a week and took it off and I don't use it anymore. You set the shock to a really low level.

C&CDean
11/3/2006, 09:26 AM
You so do not want my advice on this one girly girl.

jk the sooner fan
11/3/2006, 09:34 AM
what kind of dogs are they?

LilSooner
11/3/2006, 09:36 AM
I think a bark collar is the same as a shock collar, unless it just constricts around their neck when they bark. :D

I got a shock collar to keep my dog from digging and pawing on the door, I used it for a week and took it off and I don't use it anymore. You set the shock to a really low level.

The shock collars that we have you have to activate it to work, but I'm not here alot so that isn't really consistant.

Dean do you think I should just shoot them? Cause I'm about ready too. These dogs are extremely spoiled and the whole going out side making them come to you and sit thing to get them shut up is just not working any more.

LilSooner
11/3/2006, 09:39 AM
what kind of dogs are they?

Heeler mixes. Their momma was suppose to be a blue heeler and the daddy's well lets just say momma was a ho. I have a white and black short haired and one that looks like a doberman. I have a red heeler mix but she's not really the problem she's much older.

The pups just turned two and are in that holy terror stage.

colleyvillesooner
11/3/2006, 09:39 AM
The shock collars that we have you have to activate it to work, but I'm not here alot so that isn't really consistant.

Dean do you think I should just shoot them? Cause I'm about ready too. These dogs are extremely spoiled and the whole going out side making them come to you and sit thing to get them shut up is just not working any more.

That's cause they are now in control. Good luck with that. :D

Beef
11/3/2006, 09:41 AM
This has pretty much shut my Min Pin up. If you've ever been around that breed you will know what a chore that is. It just puts out a really annoying high pitched beep when they bark. The downside is it sometimes goes off when he shakes his head or wiggles. That doesn't really teach him anything.

http://www.radiosys.com/bark_control/bark_control.php?L=1&PROD_CODE=PUSB-300

Mjcpr
11/3/2006, 09:41 AM
Bring them in the house and let them sleep in the bed with you.

LilSooner
11/3/2006, 09:43 AM
No they mind its just the consistency thing. It's hard when I travel to make sure that they shut up. These dogs have the most amazing hearing. They can hear the ****zu going out side when they are in the garage.

jk the sooner fan
11/3/2006, 09:44 AM
heelers are wired to bark.....will you be leaving them outside all the time in your new place?

personally, i'd wait till you moved....they're barking at things that wont be present in the new place

C&CDean
11/3/2006, 09:44 AM

This is a tough one. Obviously you do not have the time to spend training the dogs. I mean hell, Rhino's gotta eat so Lil's gotta work. The dogs are probably bored, and if you plan on moving them to the big city you're gonna have even worse problems. Digging, chewing, barking, etc. will be the norm. Your neighbors are gonna hate you, you're gonna hate the dogs, and nothing good will come of it.

My advice? See if you can find somebody to take them. You can try all the bull**** "shelters" out there like Second Chance, but be prepared to be told "sorry, we're not taking dogs at this time - especially big dogs..."

So, it really all boils down to "can I live with the barking, being ****ed off all the time, hatin' neighbors, problems, problems, problems......or not." If not, plant em'. They're dogs. When pets control our lives, we're never happy. If you can't do it yourself, find someone who can.

Good luck.

LilSooner
11/3/2006, 09:45 AM
Bring them in the house and let them sleep in the bed with you.

They sleep in the kitchen isn't that enough?

Oh and thank the lord that won't be happening much longer, they are about to get a nice big 2 car garage to sleep in. Sooooo excited, and my bed room will be upstairs so those little bastards can't wake me up at 4:30 needing to go outside.

LilSooner
11/3/2006, 09:51 AM
This is a tough one. Obviously you do not have the time to spend training the dogs. I mean hell, Rhino's gotta eat so Lil's gotta work. The dogs are probably bored, and if you plan on moving them to the big city you're gonna have even worse problems. Digging, chewing, barking, etc. will be the norm. Your neighbors are gonna hate you, you're gonna hate the dogs, and nothing good will come of it.

My advice? See if you can find somebody to take them. You can try all the bull**** "shelters" out there like Second Chance, but be prepared to be told "sorry, we're not taking dogs at this time - especially big dogs..."

So, it really all boils down to "can I live with the barking, being ****ed off all the time, hatin' neighbors, problems, problems, problems......or not." If not, plant em'. They're dogs. When pets control our lives, we're never happy. If you can't do it yourself, find someone who can.

Good luck.

And that would be different from now how?

Bottom line not giving up the dogs just because they bark. That can be fixed it's a discipline problem that all of our dogs have gone through when they hit the two year mark. I just need something to keep them quite during the day while I'm not at home so I can work with them at night.

I'm not one of those ****ty pet owners that don't pay attention to their dogs. The dogs mind and have good manners (except the little ****zu jumping up on you, but I have about got him out of that). Alot of it has to do with my mom's dog being over here during the day, because she likes to bite neighbors and UPS men. She is super agressive when around people that aren't us.

Also, it's not like the dogs are barking just to be barking. They bark at the little bastards from the next door that get on my property and they bark at the other male dogs coming around trying to get at my step dad's hunting dog.

colleyvillesooner
11/3/2006, 09:51 AM
Sooooo excited, and my bed room will be upstairs so those little bastards can't wake me up at 4:30 needing to go outside.

Uh, yeah they can. They'll just start barking. You ever heard how loud a dog is when he's barking in a garage with a concrete floor? Again, good luck with that? ;)

LilSooner
11/3/2006, 09:52 AM
Ha ha it bleeped out the S h i t in s h i tzu.

LilSooner
11/3/2006, 09:54 AM
Uh, yeah they can. They'll just start barking. You ever heard how loud a dog is when he's barking in a garage with a concrete floor? Again, good luck with that? ;)

That's why they will have shock collars duh! Oh and as gross as this sounds they know its ok to in the garage because we clean it out every morning with bleach and dawn.

Taxman71
11/3/2006, 10:04 AM
Don't they have collars that emit a high frequency noise instead of a shock? Not sure that would have an effect on a heeler.

colleyvillesooner
11/3/2006, 10:13 AM
I think so, maybe beef knows. ;)

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/3/2006, 11:20 AM
I used a bark (shock) collar on a lunatic dalmation. He stopped the excessive barking in about 2 weeks. By that I mean I didnt use the collar anymore. With a healer, you might want to clip around the collar probes to make sure they make good contact. The one I used was sound activated so he got the correction as soon as he barked. Dont leave it on too long because it'll rub raw spots on their neck. For the time I used one, I left it on for several hours down to just when he'd freak out. I suspect you'll need to get collars for all of them or it's not going to be as effective. So with 3 dogs you can expect to be out about $150-$200.

It typically went like BARK Bark bark Never seemed to take more than a couple of minutes for him to get the picture.

LilSooner
11/3/2006, 11:36 AM
I used a bark (shock) collar on a lunatic dalmation. He stopped the excessive barking in about 2 weeks. By that I mean I didnt use the collar anymore. With a healer, you might want to clip around the collar probes to make sure they make good contact. The one I used was sound activated so he got the correction as soon as he barked. Dont leave it on too long because it'll rub raw spots on their neck. For the time I used one, I left it on for several hours down to just when he'd freak out. I suspect you'll need to get collars for all of them or it's not going to be as effective. So with 3 dogs you can expect to be out about $150-$200.

It typically went like BARK Bark bark Never seemed to take more than a couple of minutes for him to get the picture.

Finally THANK YOU! I figured that's what I would be out. It will be worth it. I think it will help to break up the pack as well. Oh and it's nice and quiet right now. Thankfully I have been home this morning and been able to do a little bit of discpline and it seems to be working.

TexasSooner01
11/3/2006, 11:48 AM
Do these "Bark Collars" work for kids too? :D

sooneron
11/3/2006, 11:51 AM
Heeler- worst bark evar!

Beef
11/3/2006, 11:52 AM
Heeler- worst bark evar!
My next door neighbor has a Heeler and a German Shepherd. Barking hell. They need to move out to the country.

Mongo
11/3/2006, 12:02 PM
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/662/2530222058sv1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Call Caesar!! He'll know what to do. And he can give you home decor advice while he is at it.

LilSooner
11/3/2006, 12:03 PM
Our new next door neighbor has a vicious looking german shepherd, luckily we have like a 7 foot wood fence all around the back yard so they can't see out.

achiro
11/3/2006, 12:40 PM
Do the dogs bark normally or is this just something that has started with the other dog in heat? That is real normal for all the other dogs around the one in heat to be nutty. If barking is a problem quite a bit there are a couple of things that can be done but as you said consistency is the key.

There are several brands of bark collars but I recommend tritronics. They are more expensive than some of the other brands but the batteries last much longer and the corrections are much more consistent. One of the big problems with many bark collars is that they go off with the sound of a bark, many dogs learn pretty quick that they can do this high pitched whining type bark and not get a correction. Most people agree that this bark is more annoying than the normal bark. The tritronics works from vibration of the vocal cords. There may be other brands that do that but I am not familiar with them.

Lastly, if you decide to use them, go by the instructions of introduction. It slowly progresses the intensity over a period of several days/weeks. If you just slap it on and crank it up, dogs can learn pretty quick that when the collar is on, zap, when its off, no zap. By having them wear it for a few days with no zap it will help to keep them from figuring it out.

Lastly, they work, and they work well.

LilSooner
11/3/2006, 12:51 PM
There are a couple of times that they bark and it's pretty consistant.

Early in the morning it's like everyone know that they are they and ready to kill.

The kids next door when they get too close our property.

And when we come home or leave. They like to tell us good bye.