PDA

View Full Version : what the hell is oklahoma?

CORNholio
11/3/2006, 05:35 AM
What do yall think oklahoma is:
a
southern
western
midwesten
southwestern
or
plains

state?

This has confused me and many others for some time. where do we fit in?

nanimonai
11/3/2006, 05:46 AM
I think you have to distinguish between northern and southern plains states.

There's a distinct cultural difference between Nebraska/Dakotas and Oklahoma/Texas. I'd draw the line right through Kansas and say we're southern plains.

CORNholio
11/3/2006, 05:59 AM
IMO Kansas is nothing like Oklahoma. JMHO but they talk different eat different food have much fatter women and absolutely no trees. I consider Kansas midwestern. I lean towards southern for oklahoma but really southcentral if that is a real region.

CORNholio
11/3/2006, 06:04 AM
My family has always eaten okra, fried potatoes, fried chicken, and grits. Our females are slim and we have a Texoma draw. Its not "Georgia Southern" but sure as hell isn't midwestern. It confuses me when people call oklahoma midwestern.

Okla-homey
11/3/2006, 06:33 AM
It is confusing, given most of Oklahoma is farther south than Virginia, a state all would agree is southern.

We've discussed this before. As I recall, here's how it ended up. Folks east of I-35 are generally "cultural" Southerners. Especially those east of I-35 and south of I-40. Back in the day, they used to refer to that SE part of OK as "Little Dixie"

Folks west of I-35 and north of I-40 are "People of the Great Plains"/Mid-western/"Children of the Wheat."

Folks west of I-35 and south of I-40 are culturally "Southwestern."

Does that work for you?

Jerk
11/3/2006, 06:37 AM
I have pondered this same question my entire life.

When I was a kid I loved to study maps and geography, especially of Oklahoma. I am the kind of nerd who buys the 24 dollar Okla. Atlas and orders topography maps just so I can stare at them.

I don't know.

But we sure as he.ll ain't nothing like Kansas. Culturally we are closer to Texas than anyone else. Neg me all you want but it's true.

CORNholio
11/3/2006, 06:47 AM
your right honkie. we're way more like tejas than kansas..
Were just a less mexican version of texas.

Mixer!
11/3/2006, 09:20 AM
Oklahoma - America's Yugoslavia!

Okla-homey
11/3/2006, 10:42 AM
Oklahoma - America's Yugoslavia!

Oklahomastan:D

Viking Kitten
11/3/2006, 10:48 AM
It is confusing, given most of Oklahoma is farther south than Virginia, a state all would agree is southern.

We've discussed this before. As I recall, here's how it ended up. Folks east of I-35 are generally "cultural" Southerners. Especially those east of I-35 and south of I-40. Back in the day, they used to refer to that SE part of OK as "Little Dixie"

Folks west of I-35 and north of I-40 are "People of the Great Plains"/Mid-western/"Children of the Wheat."

Does that work for you?

Good answer, however I've always thought of Tulsa/Claremore etc. as being more Midwestern than southern.

C&CDean
11/3/2006, 10:52 AM
I've always thought of Tulsa/Jenks/Claremore being more fageastern than anything else.

colleyvillesooner
11/3/2006, 10:52 AM
oh no....

Okla-homey
11/3/2006, 11:32 AM
Good answer, however I've always thought of Tulsa/Claremore etc. as being more Midwestern than southern.

Creek Co. is definitely as "southern" as Alabama. I've spent time in both. Trust me.;)

picasso
11/3/2006, 11:36 AM
southwestern redneck.

fadada1
11/3/2006, 11:39 AM
f-ing hillbillies. the whole lot of ya.

oh wait, i was born there.

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2006, 01:57 PM

Does that work for you?

I'd agree with that. I'd say Green Country is very midwestern.

Viking Kitten
11/3/2006, 02:45 PM
Creek Co. is definitely as "southern" as Alabama. I've spent time in both. Trust me.;)

Some how I can't see the judge in "My Cousin Vinnie" jerking it while on the bench.

TUSooner
11/3/2006, 03:11 PM

Does that work for you?
So...OKC is the center of the universe? Just as I thought. Thanks :D

Okla-homey
11/3/2006, 03:44 PM
So...OKC is the center of the universe? Just as I thought. Thanks :D

No, its nuevo messican

Czar Soonerov
11/3/2006, 03:56 PM
Oklahomastan:D

Does that make Dean Blevins our version of Borat?

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5205/oknewsjc0.jpg

Czar Soonerov
11/3/2006, 03:58 PM
In my country their is problem
and that problem is the Aggie.

Throw the Aggie Down the well
so my Country can be free.

Viking Kitten
11/3/2006, 04:00 PM
I wonder what Dean's sister was voted?

colleyvillesooner
11/3/2006, 04:01 PM
In my country their is problem
and that problem is the Aggie.

Throw the Aggie Down the well
so my Country can be free.

So my country can be free!

Pricetag
11/3/2006, 04:19 PM
Oklahoma is Mid South.

Mixer!
11/3/2006, 04:30 PM
South Central! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Central_United_States)

tbl
11/3/2006, 04:30 PM
It definitely isn't southern. IMO, southern is any Confederate state. If you don't have the rebel pride/the south will rise again mentality then you aren't a southerner (of which I am EXTREMELY glad OK is not a southern state). We're not midwest either b/c typically midwesterners don't have accents, of which most of the Okies I know do have a distinct accent. Like has been posted, we are very similar to Texas. Is "Southern Plains" a valid option?

It's funny that this thread has come up b/c now that I live in the true south, I have a hard time putting my finger on describing Oklahoma in regional terms. I do business with people up north and they say I have a southern accent, which I'm quick to correct them on, though I don't have the best answer. I typically say that Oklahoma and Texas are their own distinct region, but we just don't have a proper name for it (other than Okie or Texan).

What a conundrum...

JohnnyMack
11/3/2006, 04:33 PM
I've always thought of Tulsa/Jenks/Claremore being more fageastern than anything else.

Zip it Cleetus.

tbl
11/3/2006, 04:33 PM
So my country can be free!
That song a nice. I likes very much. Yes. I always happys there not many of dirty jew people in the Oklahomas.

(I hope the few people not in the know realize this is a joke).

tbl
11/3/2006, 04:36 PM
South Central! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Central_United_States)
I don't buy that. Rebel pride is very much alive in LA and Arkansas & they were Confederate States. Having half my wifes family from Louisiana, I can assure you that's as south as the south can get, though they have their own cajun twist on things.

IronSooner
11/3/2006, 04:49 PM
After living in the Midwest for more than 2 years I've come to say OK is in the Southern Plains. If I have free time I explain how it's a junction between regions, but, at least to explain where I grew up just north of OKC, southern plains works for me.

OK2LA
11/3/2006, 04:54 PM
Oklahoma is Mid South.

Brings back the good ol days of "Mid South Wrasslin"

sanantoniosooner
11/3/2006, 05:21 PM
How many flavors of F'n Hillbilly can there be?

XingTheRubicon
11/4/2006, 12:22 AM

An odd bunch that throughout the years wanted to distance themselves from the rest of Oklahoma. Now they wish they could just keep up.

918ers:rolleyes:

Rogue
11/4/2006, 12:34 AM
Crossroads.
Heartland.
Tornado Alley.
I've never agreed with the sports score things in the paper when it is listed under the Southwest. I only think parts of Texas are southwest.

Definitely midwestern by one standard and that's a place where the wind not only comes sweepin' down the plains, but never ever stops sweepin'. 'Course by that assplanation everywhere from Idaho to Texas is in the same region so that doesn't work either.

GottaHavePride
11/4/2006, 12:36 AM
How many flavors of F'n Hillbilly can there be?

soonerjoker
11/4/2006, 10:14 AM
Oklahoma is whatever you want it to be.

CORNholio
11/6/2006, 01:13 AM
Oklahoma just rocks. Not in a NYC, liberal, world renowned kinda way. But in a down to earth gambler conservative kinda way. We are the buckle of the Bible Belt but we have always been the kinda guys that sport the conservative but are shunned for bending the rules. We smoke cigarretes on the sideline and spy on Texas. We are the gritty rancher that works his arse off, gets drunk as a skunk, and wakes up early the next day and does it all over again with a smile and a witty remark.
I love this F'n Hillbilly place.

CORNholio
11/6/2006, 01:19 AM
Our climate sucks, our politics could be more corrupt than N.Korea, our jobs don't pay half as much as they do in dallas, some people think flat praries are ugly (F em), I have never seen more broken down camaros in my life.........
But we don't give a flying Fuuk, we are true americans.
Gotta love it.

CORNholio
11/6/2006, 01:24 AM
Oklahoma is where the west meets the south....

Okla-homey
11/6/2006, 06:30 AM
Oklahoma is also where the greatest cross-section of American life resides. I'm sure glad we came home after 27 years of living at various locations all over the US.

Also, THE cheapest overall cost-of-living.

swardboy
11/6/2006, 12:44 PM
Oklahoma is where the west meets the south....

Kinda where I'm at....I've considered Oklahoma "the gateway to the southwest"

apusooner
11/6/2006, 01:51 PM
i think i started a thread like this once

soonerjoker
11/7/2006, 11:22 AM
geographically, if OK is gateway to west, it's also
gateway to east.

east-west wise, it's in the middle.

as i stated before, it's whatever you want it to be.

most seem to want to think of themselves as "southern gentlemen".

if you've ever been to the south, you know OK ain't it.

JMHO