PDA

View Full Version : Defending the option...

goingoneight
11/3/2006, 12:06 AM
Judging by Aggie's recent performances they'll have just enough time to squeeze in four possessions, one per quarter. While I'm of course, kidding... I do remember his weak option owning us last year. He damn near beat us by not even completing a pass. We also struggle with Oregon and UAB's option attacks. Is this something we'll struggle with all the aggy screaming and towel-waving around us??? Serious question... we have yet to successfully defend an option play. In theory, you wait for the execution, and only pursue with backup... but we seem to get four LBs who all of a sudden chase down Sam Hunt and all he has to do is throw it. Rufus was the only one I saw who actually played the option D correctly, and Aggie has been running it all year long, so he'll need a little help from his surrounding cast. This, IMHO, will be the truest test to see if OUr D has really grown up, or just had a few weeks off. If we can shut down mobile guys like Bret Meyer, passing threats like Chase Daniel, then I'm not afraid of Okie Aggy or Tech, but can we stop an option? An option play is very effective when used to surprise a defense, but that seems to be their entire offense. UT had a great defense in 2005, and they struggled with the option and relied heavily on black Jesus to bail them out... No nut squeezing jokes or sheep humper jokes, please, do you think we can stop it effectively and with continuity?

I'm happy to say I have faith in OUr offense putting points on their "wrecking crew."

raptor
11/3/2006, 12:49 AM
Judging by Aggie's recent performances they'll have just enough time to squeeze in four possessions, one per quarter. While I'm of course, kidding... I do remember his weak option owning us last year. He damn near beat us by not even completing a pass. We also struggle with Oregon and UAB's option attacks. Is this something we'll struggle with all the aggy screaming and towel-waving around us??? Serious question... we have yet to successfully defend an option play. In theory, you wait for the execution, and only pursue with backup... but we seem to get four LBs who all of a sudden chase down Sam Hunt and all he has to do is throw it. Rufus was the only one I saw who actually played the option D correctly, and Aggie has been running it all year long, so he'll need a little help from his surrounding cast. This, IMHO, will be the truest test to see if OUr D has really grown up, or just had a few weeks off. If we can shut down mobile guys like Bret Meyer, passing threats like Chase Daniel, then I'm not afraid of Okie Aggy or Tech, but can we stop an option? An option play is very effective when used to surprise a defense, but that seems to be their entire offense. UT had a great defense in 2005, and they struggled with the option and relied heavily on black Jesus to bail them out... No nut squeezing jokes or sheep humper jokes, please, do you think we can stop it effectively and with continuity?

I'm happy to say I have faith in OUr offense putting points on their "wrecking crew."

The trick to stopping our option is to beat the TE quickly and stop McGee from leaving the tackle box with the ball...

make him pitch it quick and it'll be the RB and 2-3 defenders every time.

SoonerTerry
11/3/2006, 01:05 AM
Over the last few games I've seen our defence sticking with their assigments alot better than they did early in the season. And given our corner play as of late, I would be surprised if their wide outs can sustain a block against them.
So I would hope that this wrinkle has been coached up, I know we have the talent to stop it.

Nice post BTW

Ash
11/3/2006, 01:14 AM
Over the last few games I've seen our defence sticking with their assigments alot better than they did early in the season.

That's the key, right there.

raptor
11/3/2006, 01:23 AM
That's the key, right there.

If y'all still run the 4 down lineman, then J-Lane will be you up inside all night.

As soon as you bring that 5th guy down, then McGee will hurt you with a keeper or pitch it out to C-Lew or M-Good for a big gain. The moment you bring your DBs down to counter that, you'll see Martellus or Chad running nice little post routes into the open field as McGee hits them in stride for the TD.

At least that's how I beat OU on my XBox!

WA. Sooner
11/3/2006, 02:45 AM
You need to send your Xbox to the shop, it is broken

SoonerRoads
11/3/2006, 07:27 AM
SoonerTerry and Raptor are both right, but the defensive key to stopping the option is for the DT to hold his ground, even if he has to go to all fours and clog his hole. That enables the DE to pinch down inside forcing a quick pitch and requiring the CB to stay at home to play the pitch man. Problem is, once you begin to stop them at that, the QB might take a quick 2 step drop off the dive fake and loft one down the field. The Option is still a viable offense and there is good reason why we set rushing records when we ran it. Assignment football is absolutely key to beating the option.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/3/2006, 10:36 AM
If y'all still run the 4 down lineman, then J-Lane will be you up inside all night.

As soon as you bring that 5th guy down, then McGee will hurt you with a keeper or pitch it out to C-Lew or M-Good for a big gain. The moment you bring your DBs down to counter that, you'll see Martellus or Chad running nice little post routes into the open field as McGee hits them in stride for the TD.

That's funny. Do you know anything about football?

And why are you talkin' about being 'up inside us all night'?

Have you ever been in a turkish prison? Ever seen a grown man naked?

raptor
11/3/2006, 11:08 AM

I actually do know a lot about football. I coached and played for many years, but on TexAgs, as with most public forums, no one cares what you know.

Ash
11/3/2006, 11:25 AM

Nevermind, I didn't know we were talking about video games when I posted in this thread.:rolleyes:

Ash
11/3/2006, 11:26 AM

Do you like movies about gladiators?

Luthor
11/3/2006, 12:30 PM
The trick to stopping our option is to beat the TE quickly and stop McGee from leaving the tackle box with the ball...

With your DEs, defending the option should not be a problem. The key for success is that your DEs hammer McGee early and let him and Fran know it ain't happening. You take option away from McGee and he becomes half a QB. It also kills their sprint out passing which is the only kind McGee can do effectively. If all McGee has left is throwing from a confined pocket and handing off to JaPorky you got him right where you want him.

TexasLidig8r
11/3/2006, 01:40 PM
Agreed there Luthor... DE's pinch down, have to beat the block of the TE or tackle on the weakside and force the QB to pitch early.

Your outside linebackers or weakside safety need to have lateral speed to shut down the pitch man.

Now, can the OU secondary man up on the aggy wide receivers for those times when aggy is in 2nd and 3rd and long.

The West Virgina game last night epitomized the problem with run first and often teams... you get them down late in the game and they are forced to play a game they at which they are weak.

IF OU has the lead by more than 7 going into the 4th, aggy will be in trouble.

bixby28
11/3/2006, 03:10 PM

Very good point, raptor. The quarterback is definitely the difference maker in the option.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/3/2006, 03:30 PM

Wrong. The 'up inside you all night' you've seen this year has been against the zone read. The 4-up we've been playin' finally bolted their heads on and instead of continuing through hat and fighting through the block, addressed upfield. So your 'up inside you all night' against the 4-up is actually reach block technique scross the front with either a fold to the backside or kickout from the lead blocker. Which gives us the IMPRESSION that they're nut-shootin' us up the middle when in all actuality, that's a C gap shot. Hence why I've been screamin' for less read and react and more gap priority out of the D-line. Which is why you're seeing that less and less because those boys are saddlin' up and gettin' after the football for a change instead of fighting laterally through a block.

As soon as you bring that 5th guy down, then McGee will hurt you with a keeper or pitch it out to C-Lew or M-Good for a big gain.

Wrong. We don't bring 5 down short of goal line. But we WILL give you a steady diet of base 4-3, offset 3-3, and 4-2 press with safeties up. You sure you're not still playin' that video game? Because with our speed at DB and LB, stretchin' the field laterally is not in your best interest. Trust me. It's why UAB kept it in the middle of the field.

The moment you bring your DBs down to counter that, you'll see Martellus or Chad running nice little post routes into the open field as McGee hits them in stride for the TD.

I'm gonna laugh when your clownshoes wideouts try and pop that post and Reggie over the top screws their crotch grabbing aggies a**es into the pavement. Gonna look like someone's plantin' Nike brand flowers out there, with all the shoes stickin' upright out of the ground.

I think we already covered that. Stick to computer games because your offensive strategy of countin' on Coach Stoops and Bobby V to load the line of scrimmage to stop your vaunted vomit comet is flawed.

Much like your coach. Flawed.

OUstudent4life
11/3/2006, 04:28 PM
Burn.

:D

EnemyNumberOne
11/3/2006, 04:40 PM
With your DEs, defending the option should not be a problem. The key for success is that your DEs hammer McGee early and let him and Fran know it ain't happening. You take option away from McGee and he becomes half a QB. It also kills their sprint out passing which is the only kind McGee can do effectively. If all McGee has left is throwing from a confined pocket and handing off to JaPorky you got him right where you want him.

Wrong. McGee can run the option, but he has not shown the ability to throw on the run. Leave him in the pocket and he'll pick you apart.

Good luck this weekend, Sooners.

Beef
11/3/2006, 04:56 PM

I hope no one's headed down to College Station yet. We obviously don't have a chance and should spend the time preparing for sand aggy in Norman. WE'RE DOOMED!!!!!!!!