PDA

View Full Version : AA Flight 191

Mjcpr
11/2/2006, 04:31 PM
If I remember correctly, the crash ended up being the fault of AA's Maintenance Facility here in Tulsa. :O

But that's not the interesting part, the interesting part is this pic taken of the plane shortly before crashing. Notice the lack of one of the engines!! :eek:

http://faalessons.workforceconnect.org/rawmedia_repository/c21223f9_5b70_49d8_9022_0e67712b8e74

mdklatt
11/2/2006, 04:35 PM
Notice the lack of one of the engines!!

That's why it crashed. :cool:

swardboy
11/2/2006, 04:36 PM
If I remember correctly, the crash ended up being the fault of AA's Maintenance Facility here in Tulsa. :O

But that's not the interesting part, the interesting part is this pic taken of the plane shortly before crashing. Notice the lack of one of the engines!! :eek:

http://faalessons.workforceconnect.org/rawmedia_repository/c21223f9_5b70_49d8_9022_0e67712b8e74

I believe what is pictured happened in Chicago. Flight 191 was the result of a microburst north of the DFW airport. I remember that day because I noticed the tall, thin towering cloud that is characteristic of microbursts as I was going into a restaurant in Hurst, TX. 1986 if I remember right.

KABOOKIE
11/2/2006, 04:37 PM
[tin foil hat] You see that smoke trail? That's from a ground launched missle. [/tin foil hat]

swardboy
11/2/2006, 04:38 PM
My bad...it was 1985, and DELTA Flight 191
http://www.airdisaster.com/special/special-dl191.shtml

Mjcpr
11/2/2006, 04:39 PM
I believe what is pictured happened in Chicago. Flight 191 was the result of a microburst north of the DFW airport. I remember that day because I noticed the tall, thin towering cloud that is characteristic of microbursts as I was going into a restaurant in Hurst, TX. 1986 if I remember right.

Flight 191 crashed because one of the engines fell off......the problem had to do with the maintenance procedures here if I remember correctly. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they didn't mention a microburst and I'm thinking it happened in the late 70s.

mdklatt
11/2/2006, 04:40 PM
Flight 191 was the result of a microburst north of the DFW airport.

Different airline.

I remember that day because I noticed the tall, thin towering cloud that is characteristic of microbursts as I was going into a restaurant in Hurst, TX. 1986 if I remember right.

It was 1985. I saw that thunderstorm, too. I watched it develop from Watauga as I was cutting the grass. I could see the stream of arrivals, too, so it's possible that I saw the accident aircraft on approach.

KABOOKIE
11/2/2006, 04:43 PM
I flew into Dallas that night. On Delta Airlines. We were about 100 miles out when the accident occured and had to hold for about 3 hours before we could land.

IB4OU2
11/2/2006, 04:44 PM
Flight 191 crashed because one of the engines fell off......the problem had to do with the maintenance procedures here if I remember correctly. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they didn't mention a microburst and I'm thinking it happened in the late 70s.

How can you overlook the process of installing and tightening the big bolt?

Mjcpr
11/2/2006, 04:45 PM

Maybe the workers were too busy admiring our hills, I don't know.

Harry Beanbag
11/2/2006, 04:46 PM

Is that the one that happened in Chicago? That was a DC-10 IIRC. One of my mom's coworkers was on a business trip on that plane.

achiro
11/2/2006, 04:48 PM
So you are saying to stay off the plane if I am ever booked on a flight 191.:eek:

Mjcpr
11/2/2006, 04:49 PM
Is that the one that happened in Chicago? That was a DC-10 IIRC. One of my mom's coworkers was on a business trip on that plane.

Yes, the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. They had several folks on the show who lost someone.

Mjcpr
11/2/2006, 04:49 PM
So you are saying to stay off the plane if I am ever booked on a flight 191.:eek:

I'm thinking they change flight numbers after a crash.....I know they did for the 9/11 flights anyway.

mdklatt
11/2/2006, 04:50 PM

The engine pylon was damaged when the engine was removed during an overhaul because the maintenance crew didn't follow the manufacturer's procedure for removal.

Ike
11/2/2006, 04:54 PM
heh. it wasn't quite that. The maintenance crew was supposed to perform maintenance on an engine pylon. The manufacturers recommended procedure for doing so was to remove the engine first and then to remove the pylon. In a cost cutting move, AA decided to just leave the pylon attached to the engine and remove the thing only where the pylon attaches to the wing. They used 2 hydraulic lifts to support the engine while they did this. In the middle of the procedure, there was a shift change, and one of the hydraulic lifts partially failed, tilting the engine-pylon assembly and damaging the wing support structure.

After this the aircraft did make a few flights before flight 191, and each one put more and more stress on the damaged part.

Incedentally, the maintenance chief responsible committed suicide the day before he was to testify to the FAA investigators.

IB4OU2
11/2/2006, 05:14 PM
heh. it wasn't quite that. The maintenance crew was supposed to perform maintenance on an engine pylon. The manufacturers recommended procedure for doing so was to remove the engine first and then to remove the pylon. In a cost cutting move, AA decided to just leave the pylon attached to the engine and remove the thing only where the pylon attaches to the wing. They used 2 hydraulic lifts to support the engine while they did this. In the middle of the procedure, there was a shift change, and one of the hydraulic lifts partially failed, tilting the engine-pylon assembly and damaging the wing support structure.

After this the aircraft did make a few flights before flight 191, and each one put more and more stress on the damaged part.

Incedentally, the maintenance chief responsible committed suicide the day before he was to testify to the FAA investigators.

Sad all around, It's amazing how our lives hinge on the correct execution of critical processes by hundreds of people daily.

Ike
11/2/2006, 06:03 PM
Sad all around, It's amazing how our lives hinge on the correct execution of critical processes by hundreds of people daily.

It is, and yet, inexplicably, this way of life works remarkably well considering that fact.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/3/2006, 09:00 AM

Probably a good idea. I am not sure how superstitious people are, but the plane that crashed in Kentucky that took off from the wrong runway was Comair Flight 5191. There are several others too I can't remember. There was a discussion on the message boards of airliners.net once about this. Kinda spooky.

Penguin
11/3/2006, 02:57 PM
Flight 191 is the deadliest callsign in US aviation history. Most airline don't have that callsign.

Continental does. It's a daily Miami to Houston flight.

slickdawg
11/3/2006, 02:59 PM

D00D! How are those two light poles holding up that plane?

PhilTLL
11/3/2006, 03:05 PM
Probably a good idea. I am not sure how superstitious people are, but the plane that crashed in Kentucky that took off from the wrong runway was Comair Flight 5191. There are several others too I can't remember. There was a discussion on the message boards of airliners.net once about this. Kinda spooky.

Actually, it was Comair flight 191, with the added Delta system designator number of 5 for 5191. (dee dee dee dee - dee dee dee dee...)

Penguin
11/3/2006, 03:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_flight_191

"Actress Lindsay Wagner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindsay_Wagner), TV's Bionic Woman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_Woman), was scheduled to fly on the ill-fated plane, but she felt uneasy about it just prior to boarding. As a result, Wagner decided to skip the flight, a decision that saved her life."

:eek:

BajaOklahoma
11/3/2006, 06:22 PM
My bad...it was 1985, and DELTA Flight 191
http://www.airdisaster.com/special/special-dl191.shtml

One of the guys who died did commercials for the company my husband worked for and did comuunity theatre in OKC. Nice guy.
My older son was so upset by the crash that he still hates to fly.

OCUDad
11/3/2006, 06:29 PM

It is, and yet, inexplicably, this way of life works remarkably well considering that fact.
Folks, keep this dialogue in mind knowing that Ike is trusted to deal with radioactive materials. :rolleyes:

Penguin
11/3/2006, 07:18 PM
Did anybody see that show on the History Channel? Holy ****! It sure made American Airlines look bad.

Actually, I don't think I ever want to fly with AA again after watching that show.

Mjcpr
11/4/2006, 09:34 AM
Things may have changed in the last 30 years, I dunno.

Okla-homey
11/4/2006, 09:40 AM
A quick search of the SO "Good Morning" archives turned this up:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70083&highlight=american+airlines

See, the SO archives are the repository of ALL important information;)

1stTimeCaller
11/4/2006, 09:40 AM
proof that mechanics in OKC > mechanics in Tulsa.

;)