PDA

View Full Version : How we go to a BCS Bowl . . .

KingDavid
11/2/2006, 01:32 PM
This has been discussed in another thread, but I'm going to flesh this out further because I believe that many of us - especially the realists - probably think that there's no legitimate way, outside of the Whorns falling apart, that we'll get a BCS bid. What I hope you'll see after reading this post is that it's really a distinct possibility . . . and what's more, the implications for who we would play if we get to a BCS game are VERY exciting. Hint, hint: can you say, rematch?

Before I take this any further, let's state the obvious fact that we have to win out, no matter what. We all know that. And as I mentioned above, it's obvious that if Texas drops two of its last three games, then we're automatically into a BCS game, end of discussion.

But since it's not too likely that the Whorns are going to lose two out of three, and furthermore because it's just way too simple for a long-arse, mind-bending post like this one, let's just assume the whorns close the deal on the Big XII South.

So, with the assumptions laid down that we win 'em all, and Texas closes the deal, here's what needs to happen for us to get into a BCS game:

* None of the non-BCS schools can get a bid. This means that
-Boise St. has to lose (they have two road games left, against OK teams.)
-Notre Dame has to lose to USC (at least - maybe to Air Force, too)

* Before I leave the subject of the non-BCS school bids, let me just say that if this alone happens, our odds of getting a BCS bid go up exponentially. You'll see below why below, because I actually end up giving an at-large bid to Notre Dame . . . and even with that, it still can look very good for us if some other very realistic things hold up. Read on.

* The Big XII North Champion cannot win the Big XII Championship (lest we be phucked like Texass was phucked in 2003). We will not get the at-large bid over a two loss Texas team, for obvious reasons.

* The following three BCS conferences: the Pac 10, ACC, and Big East - cannot produce a runner-up with less than two losses, with only a couple of exceptions which I'll state below - USC being the biggest one.

* For the Pac 10, this means that either:
-USC wins out in the Pac 10
-Oregon wins out, or
-Cal wins out, BUT
-If Cal wins out, USC has to lose to someone else. More below on this.

* For the Big East, this means that:
-The loser of West Virginia vs. Louisville must lose again (more below).
-Rutgers needs to lose at least once
-Rutgers winning out represents another unlikely exception discussed below.

* For the ACC, it doesn't matter. They cannot produce a runner-up with less than two losses.

So . . . given all of those assumptions, none of which are unreasonable, that would leave the 10 BCS spaces as follows:

- Two to the Big Ten (the max) - Ohio State & Michigan
- Two to the SEC (the max) - Pick any two from that jumbled mess.
- One to the Pac 10 Champ - USC or Cal
- One to the ACC Champ - doesn't matter, probably Georgia Tech
- One to the Big East Champ - Louisville, W. Virginia, or - could it be? - Rutgers
- One to Big XII Champ - Texas
- And then Two magical "at-large" bids

So now we have two remaining invitations to the dance. Who gets 'em?

- Well, let's quit smoking dope and be realistic about Notre Dame. They are probably not going to lose more than one game. And they might even take care of business against USC. So let's give the Domers one of those bids. Even at two losses, they would most likely get selected over us.

BUT . . . that still leaves one "at-large" BCS bid out there. Who is left to get it? Well, here's where the two-team conference limit really helps us out in a HUGE way. It eliminates a ridiculous amount of teams standing between the Sooner Nation and a glorious BCS bid:
- There are five (that's right, F-I-V-E) SEC teams ahead of us in the BCS standings. Wave buh-bye to three of them. Sorry guys. Only two invites to this dance from your conference. Sucks to be you.
- And even if Wisconsin wins out against their remaining very win-able schedule . . .sorry Badgers. Only room for two from the Big Ten. See ya.

So that leaves ONE at-large bid to be given to the best "runner-up" candidate from the remaining four BCS Conferences: The Big XII, the Pac 10, the Big East, and the ACC. Remember, all of these teams (with the possible exception of a one-loss Rutgers) are going to have two losses. Let's start with the simplest and work to the more complicated:

* From the Big XII (need I say it?) the candidate would be the SOONERS!!!!

* From the ACC the best "runner-up" candidates would be either Georgia Tech, Boston College, Wake Forest, or Virginia Tech. Again, all with two losses. And since all of them would be ranked behind us in the polls, no need to discuss these teams any more. Moving on . . .

* From the Pac 10, the best "runner-up" candidates would either Cal (most likely), USC (if Cal beast USC), or Oregon (not likely). If it's USC, that would be a problem, for reasons I'll explain below. Suffice it to say that if Cal beats USC, then we need USC to drop an additional game to either Notre Dame, Oregon, or UCLA on the road. A two-loss Oregon doesn't stand a chance against us in getting a bid. A two-loss Cal, for reasons I'll state below, probably doesn't either, for mostly the same reasons. (Plus for Cal, we all know that it's an annual tradition for Cal to get phucked by the BCS. So that takes care of them.)

- From the Big East, the best "runner-up" candidates would be either Louisville, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, or a possibly one loss Rutgers. Pittsburgh wouldn't matter because they'd be behind us in the polls. Now a very unlikely scenario might ensue if Rutgers upsets both West Virginia and Louisville. That could leave us contending with a one loss West Virginia or a one loss Louisville for that final "at-large" BCS bid. That would be interesting. We might indeed lose that war, as sickening as it would be. But even then, it would be pretty hard for a BCS bowl to extend the bid to any team that gets beaten by Rutgers . . . I don't care how good they appear to be this year. But Rutgers running the table, however fun it might be, probably is not going to happen. For now, the scenario to discuss is either a two-loss Louisville or a two-loss West Virginia. (And for those of you who doubt that either Louisville or West Virginia would drop another game, just check their schedules. For Louisville you'll find they have three games remaining (after W.V.) against teams with winning records. Two are on the road (Rutgers, Pittsburgh). And for West Virginia, you'll find that their four remaining conference games are against the only other teams in the Big East with winning records. One of them is at Pittsburgh.)

So now, in an attempt to simplify . . . here's the thing to realize in all of these scenarios: It looks as though it all comes down to a two-loss Oklahoma team against a two-loss team from any of those four (non SEC, non Big Ten) conferences.

And, in that event, we will have FOUR ARGUMENTS THAT NO OTHER TWO-LOSS TEAM (from amongst those contenders) COULD BRING TO THE TABLE to sway that final BCS Bowl to give us the last remaining invitation to the dance. Here they are:

1) The Oregon Robbery. Aside from one of the biggest debacles since "the fifth down" in Missouri, we are actually a one-loss team. If it gets down to this, the press will make a big deal out of this.

2) Adrian Peterson. We would be show-casing the final game of one of the best, most exciting college football players to ever run the football . . . in a feel-good come-back story for both himself, and the team.

3) The Sooner Nation would travel better than any of those other contenders, and have more national television appeal . . . especially if you throw in #4 . . .

4) Big-time Re-match. Guess who gets the last pick for at-large selections???? THE FIESTA BOWL, who will be looking for a sexy match-up for the other team they already have slotted for their bowl. And that team would be TEXAS, the Big XII champion. How about that, folks? Wouldn't that be a great send-off game for AD!?!? (Side-note: this "rematch" argument is the main reason why we don't want Cal to win the Pac 10 and leave us pitted against two-loss USC team for this final bid. The Fiesta Bowl would likely take a Nat'l Title rematch before they'd take the RRSO rematch.)

There you have it, folks. Start praying for the RRSO re-match in Tempe.

Now, I'm going to give my tired fingers . . . and your eyes . . . a much needed break.

BOOMER!!!!

Octavian
11/2/2006, 01:43 PM
hopefully the team isn't as concerned w/ this as the fans ;)

KingDavid
11/2/2006, 01:54 PM
hopefully the team isn't as concerned w/ this as the fans ;)

Come on, dude. If that's the best response I get, I'm going to go find a corner and whimper softly to myself.

;)

Actually, you're right. But that's why we're fans . . . and they are players!

Sco
11/2/2006, 01:56 PM
Wow.

You've got a lot of time on your hands.

If all that happens, it'd rock - but I wouldn't count on it. We're going to Cotton or Holiday this year, folks.

sooner94
11/2/2006, 02:04 PM
well done mb! IMO, too many things need to go in our favor to get a BCS bid, but its not as much of a long shot as I thought before reading this.

Great point about the limit on 2 teams per conference. That makes our 18ish ranking a lot better when you take out the SEC/Big 10 teams.

tbl
11/2/2006, 02:08 PM
However, if we do go to a BCS, this post will be looked back on as genius. As of right now, it just seems methamphetamine induced. :D

KingDavid
11/2/2006, 02:09 PM
Wow.

You've got a lot of time on your hands.

If all that happens, it'd rock - but I wouldn't count on it. We're going to Cotton or Holiday this year, folks.

I do this about 3 times a year. If I get inspired. I just think it's fascinating how realistic of a possibility this actually is, IMO.

All of those assumptions, by themselves, are not only reasonable . . . but one could argue that they are likely probable. In fact, probably the most unlikely of all of them is that Boise State will lose a game.

We'll see . . .

achiro
11/2/2006, 02:09 PM
Hell, I don't have time to read it, let alone come up with it!:D

KingDavid
11/2/2006, 02:10 PM
I do this about 3 times a year. If I get inspired. I just think it's fascinating how realistic of a possibility this actually is, IMO.

All of those assumptions, by themselves, are not only reasonable . . . but one could argue that they are likely probable. In fact, probably the most unlikely of all of them is that Boise State will lose a game.

We'll see . . .

Actually, the least likely (if we're honest - we've got a tough schedule, still) might be OUr running the table . . .

KingDavid
11/2/2006, 02:13 PM
However, if we do go to a BCS, this post will be looked back on as genius. As of right now, it just seems methamphetamine induced. :D

speed is good, man.:D :D :D

KingDavid
11/2/2006, 02:15 PM
well done mb! IMO, too many things need to go in our favor to get a BCS bid, but its not as much of a long shot as I thought before reading this.

Great point about the limit on 2 teams per conference. That makes our 18ish ranking a lot better when you take out the SEC/Big 10 teams.

Yep. That's the big key. That's what got me thinking if it could actually happen. I would have cried Bull$hit before that thought occurred to me and someone else confirmed the BCS rules.

tbl
11/2/2006, 02:16 PM
I do this about 3 times a year. If I get inspired.

mburton snspired = http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/images/meth.bmp

KingDavid
11/2/2006, 02:18 PM

dude. where'd you get my $hit?

KingDavid
11/2/2006, 02:20 PM

If you, too, would like to be inspired, go to my e-bay store at:

http://www.ebay.com/mburton71/CrackSpeed&More

tbl
11/2/2006, 03:29 PM
For a second I thought that might be a real link. :)

BIG_IKE
11/2/2006, 03:40 PM
You know.....there IS one flaw to your plan.
If it all works out as you have it layed out...

It would be highly likely that Texas gets back to the NC game.
PArticularly if Louisville wins tonight. If Louisville wins tonight and Ohio State beats Mich...
Texas could be #2 in Human polls BEFORE the Big 12 CCG....

With this jumbled mess...it's still too early to say.

Answer this though, if you had to choose one..

A. The Whorns return to the NC game and we get a BCS bid?
or
B. The Whorns play in the Fiesta and we get a good Cotton Bowl match?

bstuff1979
11/2/2006, 04:01 PM
You know.....there IS one flaw to your plan.
If it all works out as you have it layed out...

It would be highly likely that Texas gets back to the NC game.
PArticularly if Louisville wins tonight. If Louisville wins tonight and Ohio State beats Mich...
Texas could be #2 in Human polls BEFORE the Big 12 CCG....

With this jumbled mess...it's still too early to say.

Answer this though, if you had to choose one..

A. The Whorns return to the NC game and we get a BCS bid?
or
B. The Whorns play in the Fiesta and we get a good Cotton Bowl match?

You forgot the "once in a quarter century" clause for that team getting to play for the whole ball of wax. As we all know, they've met the quota and it isn't going to happen again for a while as it is a rule of law. I'd rather see OU get a crack at (in order of importance) usc, Notre Dame, dirty hippie university of oregon. I could care less what the venue is, though Dallas does suck in Jan.

SoonerBK
11/2/2006, 04:18 PM
I would be right there with you, if it were not for the fact that the horsepigs are still on campus.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/2/2006, 04:49 PM
Seriously guys mburton isn't off base. We have to win out of course but look at it this way. There are 10 spots now in the BCS. By rule no conference can have more than 2 teams. We are currently 18. If you eliminate the 3rd, 4th and 5th teams from the BCS conferences then we are 13th in the BCS.

Going by the standings today Tennessee, Arkansas, LSU,Wisconsin and Rutgers would not be eligible.

We know that the polls tend to love ND and USC but if either or both lost I think their computer rank would hurt them.

IF we can get to 10-2 I think our chances are real good for the reasons mburton had mentioned. Not to play Texas but to get into the 5th BCS game.

Oh, and West Virginia is going to run the table and finish #2 so don't worry about the Whorns.

OrlandoSooner
11/2/2006, 06:17 PM
Arkansas plays Tenn, SC and LSU. The SEC still has a chance to beat all of their teams up. Our best chance is for one SEC team to win out and for the rest to spread the losses to each other.

If that happens, we will crawl up the ladder due to attrition. But still, I expect Cotton on Jan 1.

arcman46
11/2/2006, 09:53 PM
If we had beat Texass, then the screwing in Eugene would put us in the mix. Losing to Texass means that no one remembers that we were screwed in Eugene. Therefore if you actually think that we are going to a BCS game, without Texass falling completely apart, means that you are full of ****.

CatfishSooner
11/2/2006, 10:11 PM
I remember gettin' screwed in eugene

sooneron
11/2/2006, 10:34 PM
words and stuff

Crucifax Autumn
11/2/2006, 11:26 PM
Most of the announcers in the games seem to remember the Oregon game...Musburger made quite the big deal out of it Saturday.

KingDavid
11/2/2006, 11:31 PM
If we had beat Texass, then the screwing in Eugene would put us in the mix. Losing to Texass means that no one remembers that we were screwed in Eugene. Therefore if you actually think that we are going to a BCS game, without Texass falling completely apart, means that you are full of ****.

if (and when) we go 10-2 . . . . then I'll be right back here on this thread waiting for your apology.:)

KingDavid
11/12/2006, 03:12 PM
Now a very unlikely scenario might ensue if Rutgers upsets both West Virginia and Louisville. That could leave us contending with a one loss West Virginia or a one loss Louisville for that final "at-large" BCS bid. That would be interesting. We might indeed lose that war, as sickening as it would be. But even then, it would be pretty hard for a BCS bowl to extend the bid to any team that gets beaten by Rutgers . . . I don't care how good they appear to be this year. But Rutgers running the table, however fun it might be, probably is not going to happen.

Gosh, what sort of dumb-arse posted this crap?:eek:

soonertruth12
11/12/2006, 03:49 PM
mburton71 - nice work on the layout but this weekend should throw your whole thing into disarray....i would like to see what happens when you redo your scenario now that Cal, Tx, Auburn, Tenn., and Louiville lost.

Desert Sapper
11/12/2006, 04:18 PM
So is anybody going down to Austin in two weeks to cheer on the Collies?:D

franklinjake
11/12/2006, 08:45 PM
Come on, dude. If that's the best response I get, I'm going to go find a corner and whimper softly to myself.

;)

Actually, you're right. But that's why we're fans . . . and they are players!

Good stuff man! I still have faith though too that if we win out, Stoops and Staff will be pretty vocal about reminding the voters that we are a 1 loss team ......

franklinjake
11/12/2006, 08:46 PM
I remember gettin' screwed in eugene
Without lube even.......

Killerbees
11/12/2006, 10:31 PM
I do believe that there is something written into the selection process that prevents (or discourages) rematches between teams that have already played that season.

KingDavid
11/12/2006, 10:49 PM
mburton71 - nice work on the layout but this weekend should throw your whole thing into disarray....i would like to see what happens when you redo your scenario now that Cal, Tx, Auburn, Tenn., and Louiville lost.

bottom line is we're hosed, unless . . .

1) The obvious: TX chokes.
2) The sublime: Rutgers runs the table & Louisville loses again, along with Boise St. losing. That combo would probably put us in.

Of course, we've gotta win out.

OUTrumpet
11/12/2006, 10:53 PM
bottom line is we're hosed, unless . . .

1) The obvious: TX chokes.
2) The sublime: Rutgers runs the table & Louisville loses again, along with Boise St. losing. That combo would probably put us in.

Of course, we've gotta win out.

Well, Texas has done half of the choking already - let's hope A&M finishes the job.

We aggied it up in 01. I think it's time for Texas to return the favor.

Crucifax Autumn
11/12/2006, 11:16 PM
I think it's stil possible due to the big matchups between top 10 teams this month...likely even.

AzianSooner
11/12/2006, 11:55 PM
I trully don't get the hope too high for ATM.

Paperclip
11/12/2006, 11:59 PM
How we go to a BCS Bowl . . .

Find some tickets on eBay.

Texas Golfer
11/13/2006, 01:02 AM

The only help we need to get a BCS bid is for A&M to beat UT. The rest is in our hands.

KingDavid
11/22/2006, 12:10 AM

I like apologies medium-rare with a dash of salt. I hope you're warming up your grill and getting ready to serve it up.

sendbaht
11/22/2006, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the post. Lets beat OSU first and see what happends.

SoonerTerry
11/22/2006, 02:56 AM
That post should be worth about 25 in the post counter, Well done Mburton

nautiduck
11/22/2006, 01:01 PM
You're ranked 15 in BCS. Give it up. Here is better news. At the beginning of Oregon games the Jumbotron has two new plays to show. First, the winning UO touchdown pass. Second the blocked field goal. The second one includes a shot of "Cry Baby" Stoops - everybody boos at that one. Great fun. Thanks for the gift that keeps on giving!

critical_phil
11/22/2006, 01:08 PM
You're ranked 15 in BCS. Give it up. Here is better news. At the beginning of Oregon games the Jumbotron has two new plays to show. First, the winning UO touchdown pass. Second the blocked field goal. The second one includes a shot of "Cry Baby" Stoops - everybody boos at that one. Great fun. Thanks for the gift that keeps on giving!

turbo.

deluxe.

Dio
11/22/2006, 01:10 PM

And what are the duckies ranked? Seems like football karma has taken care of your cheating asses since Gordo gave you that game.

oklaclarinet
11/22/2006, 02:12 PM
It seems like that for once many people have OU's side when it comes to the Oregon debacle. From a recent TMQ column:

Jaimie Muehlhausen of Vista, Calif. asks an excellent question: Since even the victors agree that officials blew their calls at the end of the Oklahoma-Oregon game, why isn't this game treated as a victory for Oklahoma in BCS calculations?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061122

yermom
11/22/2006, 02:55 PM
it's on the books as a loss, i wouldn't expect the computers to be calculating it as a win

i would, however, expect the voters to view the team as a 10-1 team and rank them accordingly, at least at the top of the other 2 loss teams

i guess i can kinda see LSU and Texas above us though

Stoop Dawg
11/22/2006, 03:04 PM

If the pinnacle of OU's success ever rests on errant officiating I will be sorely disappointed. Perhaps your jumbotron should show plays from some of your other victories, like .... well, sorry, I don't know who else you played this year.

And didn't one of your players spout off about "playing with the big boys" or something? How's that working out for you guys?

KingDavid
11/25/2006, 07:35 PM

Part of the thunder of my prediction has been gloriously robbed by the fact that we will now go to the BCS in the right way . . . but i still want the props for calling the shot on this.

Check the standings and you'll see that we had the BCS at large bid LOCKED UP as of this weekend. If Texas had won, this is how the BCS would have shaken out:

Ohio St.
Michigan
SEC Champ
LSU
USC
Big XII Champ
ACC Champ
Big East Champ
Boise State

That's nine . . . and we'd be #10 . . . UNLESS Rutgers could upset West Virginia next week. Then Louisville might have bumped us . . . maybe.

. . . all in the past now. Bring on the bugeaters!

bluedogok
11/25/2006, 07:47 PM
Not sure if you saw this but West Virginia lost today to USF in Morgantown. Only one Big East team will be headed to the BCS.

KingDavid
11/26/2006, 01:30 AM
Not sure if you saw this but West Virginia lost today to USF in Morgantown. Only one Big East team will be headed to the BCS.

Not necessarily true. If Rutgers were to upset WV next week, Rutgers would be the Big East champion and would go to the BCS . . . but Louisville, with only one loss and likely ranked in the top 5 or 6, would be a major candidate for an at-large spot.

StoopTroup
11/26/2006, 01:38 AM
Your original post makes me woozy to read....

Where would the Big XII runner-up go?

In other words...Where is Nebraska Headed? :D

utex74
11/26/2006, 01:50 AM
I have to admit that Stoops has done a masterful job of turning your season around from where it was after we beat you and you were 3-2. He does deserve to be coach of the year.

It is hard to watch us do the opposite and come unraveled at the end but we did. I understand you had a similar experience the season after your national championship, so you know that it truly sucks. I never saw it coming that we would peak on Oct. 8th.

Anyway, props to your team, your coaches and your fans. I believe you are the best team in the Big12 right now. Especially after all you have been through. Enjoy Tempe.

KingDavid
11/28/2006, 12:08 AM
I have to admit that Stoops has done a masterful job of turning your season around from where it was after we beat you and you were 3-2. He does deserve to be coach of the year.

It is hard to watch us do the opposite and come unraveled at the end but we did. I understand you had a similar experience the season after your national championship, so you know that it truly sucks. I never saw it coming that we would peak on Oct. 8th.

Anyway, props to your team, your coaches and your fans. I believe you are the best team in the Big12 right now. Especially after all you have been through. Enjoy Tempe.

thanks. spek.