PDA

View Full Version : Any of you home improvement types (read NOT NORM)

OU4LIFE
11/2/2006, 01:20 PM
Ever replace aluminum windows?

I had a friend that had it done, quite some time ago, and it seems to me that they just went and took the panes out, and then collapsed the frame (she had a brick home, like me), and then the replacement was just leveled and screwed in in the existing hole.

But everything I had find online says to leave the old frame IN, and the window goes inside of that....and that makes NO sense to me. Anyone ever had this done? I just really want to know if I am remembering correctly or not. There were 2 guys doing the replacing, and they just took the old sliders out, collapsed the frame and then shimmed in the new one to lever and plumb and then screwed it in. Then it was just insulate and caulk. I just can't find a single place online that recommends that you collapse the frame.

I'll hang up and listen.

IB4OU2
11/2/2006, 01:27 PM
I don't have a clue? :confused:

Ike
11/2/2006, 01:31 PM
aluminum windows?

http://www.projetoockham.org/figuras/boletim/transparent-aluminum-scotty.jpg

Sooner_Bob
11/2/2006, 01:31 PM
If the old frame is still in good shape it'd make more sense to leave it, but after spending tons of scratch on new winders I'd probably yank it all out and replace with the new.

The blower on my freakin' furnace still won't shut off unless I unplug it . . . I'm gonna go buy a new thermostat and hope that fixes it.

OU4LIFE
11/2/2006, 01:37 PM
3 posts in and i've got a heater threadjack.......I guess I knew it had to happen. ;)

Sooner_Bob
11/2/2006, 01:40 PM
At least I answered your question though . . . ;)

I_SMELL_FEAR
11/2/2006, 02:32 PM
Dont know.

I need a storm door installed on the front....is that a simple thing, or should I have someone install it?

olevetonahill
11/2/2006, 02:57 PM
Yes you collapse the old frame. It aint that hard to change a window
Now as to the storm door they arnt very tuff either just make sure you understand plumb and square

TheHumanAlphabet
11/2/2006, 03:02 PM
We replaced the old (40 y.o.) builder grade aluminum windoes for double paned insulated all vinyl windows. The took the old glass out, collapsed the aluminum frame and removed it. Put the vinyl windows into the wood framing and screwed it in and then caulked around the window. Put the window on the edge of the brick moulding, so it looks nice and neat.

OU4LIFE
11/2/2006, 03:19 PM
We replaced the old (40 y.o.) builder grade aluminum windoes for double paned insulated all vinyl windows. The took the old glass out, collapsed the aluminum frame and removed it. Put the vinyl windows into the wood framing and screwed it in and then caulked around the window. Put the window on the edge of the brick moulding, so it looks nice and neat.

Ok, I understood every part of that except that last sentence.

splain.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/2/2006, 03:37 PM
They put the window into the frame so that the outer edge of the window rests on the inner edge of the brick moulding. I have brick clading on the outside. The window looks like it was there from construction.

IB4OU2
11/2/2006, 03:43 PM
Yes you collapse the old frame. It aint that hard to change a window
Now as to the storm door they arnt very tuff either just make sure you understand plumb and square

plumbs are round like pi......

OU4LIFE
11/2/2006, 03:58 PM
They put the window into the frame so that the outer edge of the window rests on the inner edge of the brick moulding. I have brick clading on the outside. The window looks like it was there from construction.

I suspected that's what it meant.

thanks.

OSUAggie
11/2/2006, 04:01 PM
My family owns a lumber yard (where I work)... Anybody with old aluminum windows that has the means to replace said windows with newer vinyl clad or wood windows ought to do so (unless they're just in love w/aluminum windows)... Worth it as far as energy costs are concerned... the storm door installation is about as easy as it gets.. just apply to brickmold on exterior door

OU4LIFE
11/2/2006, 04:14 PM
My family owns a lumber yard (where I work)... Anybody with old aluminum windows that has the means to replace said windows with newer vinyl clad or wood windows ought to do so (unless they're just in love w/aluminum windows)... Worth it as far as energy costs are concerned... the storm door installation is about as easy as it gets.. just apply to brickmold on exterior door

I wish you'd stop trying to be helpful and nice. It's making it harder to hate you.

frankensooner
11/2/2006, 04:42 PM
Dont know.

I need a storm door installed on the front....is that a simple thing, or should I have someone install it?
Easy to do, just time-consuming, get a pella.