PDA

View Full Version : Police Chief Fired For Being Too Fit?

birddog
11/2/2006, 09:58 AM
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/police-chief-fired-over-jelly-bellies/20061101145809990008?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Okla-homey
11/2/2006, 10:25 AM
I read the story in the paper this morning. I think the guy was fired for some other reason and they just siezed upon his memo.

It's absurd to argue that being a fat cop is not a professional liability. All the guy did was give some fatties on the force some good reasons to slim down.

I think the cop union decided to take him out because the cop union doesn't want fatness to become a grounds for termination and feared that's where such "crazy talk" might lead.

Hot Rod
11/2/2006, 10:40 AM
"In his memo, titled "Are You a Jelly Belly," the chief never singled anyone out, and apart from the title, didn't call anyone names.

Instead, he provided a list of 10 reasons police officers should be in shape. He said overweight police poorly represent the profession, poop out when chasing suspects and might have to resort to "a higher level of force" if a criminal got the upper hand in a fight. He said out-of-shape cops are a liability to the city and their families."

I can see his point, and I can the others' point as well. I don't think termination is the answer though.

birddog
11/2/2006, 10:41 AM
it seems if there was a better reason to fire him, they woulda gone with that angle instead. but it might have been an accumulation of things and this was the icing on the cake.

JohnnyMack
11/2/2006, 10:42 AM
I think the Krispy Kreme Mafia had him run out of town.

Widescreen
11/2/2006, 10:46 AM
I agree that there is probably more to this than the memo. But the memo itself seems perfectly acceptable to me. I've always thought that it was stupid to have overweight cops. Why can't there be actual physical requirements for jobs anymore? I'm sure in this case it's a union thing, but I don't see anything wrong with saying "You have to be able to run this fast to perform this specific job on the police force. You have to be able to lift this much weight for this other job." Our society is PC'ing itself to death. :(

mrowl
11/2/2006, 10:47 AM
what a load of crap.

are the officers suppose to pass a physical every year? If so, the standards must be very low.

Dio
11/2/2006, 11:58 AM
The fact that a cop wrote this pouty little gem:

"This letter shows the type of harassment and hostile work environment we have. The chief of police is constantly 'bad talking' us in every way possible and we have had enough of his arrogance,"

...is proof #56325 that this once great country is turning into France.

mdklatt
11/2/2006, 12:04 PM
are the officers suppose to pass a physical every year?

The article says no. They only have to pass fitness test to get hired.

Tear Down This Wall
11/2/2006, 12:05 PM
Here's the key problem:

Winter Haven cops must pass physical examinations to be hired but are not regularly tested for fitness thereafter.

I've always wondered why there is a physical examination required when officers are hired, but then nothing is done about making sure they continue to stay in shape for what can be a physically rigorous job.

Anyone?

Vaevictis
11/2/2006, 12:11 PM
Unions often aren't willing to compromise even when it's common sense to do so?

11/2/2006, 12:15 PM
99% of cops are fat.

(Sorry, but it was bound to be posted.)

mdklatt
11/2/2006, 12:16 PM

Union behavior is often the antithesis of common sense.

Give us a pay raise or we'll put the whole damn company out of business! Wait a minute...

IronSooner
11/2/2006, 12:26 PM
I had a good laugh at that this morning. Reading it, it sounds like they'd had many more complaints stacked up, but if that memo bothers you, quit. If I were on the force I'd rather 10 guys admit to being pansies and quit than work with a bunch of guys who are going to get their feelings hurt by a memo encouraging them to do something they should do anyway that would improve their job performance. Grow some thicker skin guys.

Tear Down This Wall
11/2/2006, 12:36 PM

Good point. Living in Texas, I don't automatically factor unions into the equation all the time. I'll bet your right.

GrapevineSooner
11/2/2006, 12:38 PM
So when the criminals they arrest call them fat, do they break down and cry on the street?

Widescreen
11/2/2006, 12:41 PM
So when the criminals they arrest call them fat, do they break down and cry on the street?
They have to catch them to arrest them. So they probably never get the chance to hear that.