PDA

View Full Version : Aggie Fan Myth

OUMallen
11/2/2006, 01:08 AM
Please Credit AtlantaBoomerSooner of the OUInsider board for the accompilation of statistics and the original analysis. The post was so good I had to bring it here. ATLBoomerSooner's post begins.....NOW:

Some of you may have heard on the Sports Animal (I accidentally had it on) today when Hump and Fat Trabor where talking about the fax they got regarding A&M attendance. Of course, the point of the fax was lost on them and they spent the whole time making fun of the person that faxed them the information but it was fascinating to me. Therefore, I looked it up myself. Many times being OU fans we are too critical of ourselves. The myth is that A&M has a loyal incredible fan base. Yes, this is true for some big games but if you look at the facts they are [anything] but front runners. OU fans keep in mind when going there (and I have been 3 times) that they are loud because it is a big game. When there are big games in Norman we are loud too. Here is the official attendance figures for the past 4 years (paid attendance not counting no shows).

Kyle Field capacity is 82,600

Ark St - 75,804

Utah - 74,019

Pitt - 79,116 OUMALLEN NOTE: Pathetic not to sell out. Remember how good Pitt was back then?

Baylor - 73,036

Ok St - 79,153

KU - 68,487

texas - 84,094 (OUMALLEN NOTE: not a sellout. I attended this game. If my cousin and myself hadn't attended it would have been a measly 84,092.)

Wyoming - 65,600

K St. - 72,675

Col. - 73,745

OU - 81,125

Tech - 82,278

SMU - 75,128

Tx. St. - 72,741

Baylor - 79,280

Ok. St. - 78,451

ISU - 76,172

texas - 86,617 OUMALLEN NOTE: good attendance here.

Citadel - 70,104

La. Laf. - 67,079

Army - 64,583

La. Tech - 68,563

Tech - 85,979

Missouri - 71,136

Only 65K for a home opener in 2004. Under 70K in attendance five times in four years. They've been in the 60K's in attendance more than they've sold out since 2003. And, these are offical tickets sold figures. This doesn't even include no-shows to the game. Think how bad the local media in Oklahoma would be ragging on OU fans if we had 65,000 show up for any home game much less a home opener. And, it would be warranted criticism. But, this same media will be gushing about A&M fan come Sunday. Makes no sense. OUMALLEN NOTE: emphasis added. How many consecutive sellouts has OU had? And A&M has the best fanbase in the country? There are many-a-way to judge a fanbase. Theirs may be much much louder and more organized, but they suck at showing up, something at which OU does exceedingly well.

badger
11/2/2006, 02:11 AM
Don't blame fans for not being able to climb to the top of the tackle box or are unable to stand for an entire game.

Fraggle145
11/2/2006, 02:21 AM
Good stuff. aTm's fan base is overated... although it points out how important stadium design is in making a place loud (see also Death Valley, Lane stadium, Autzen)... notice that many of those have an open endzone... They get louder by building up, So instead of the popular vote to bowl the endzone, I say we shoudl add a second level to the bowled end...

Octavian
11/2/2006, 02:29 AM
Fran hasn't exactly given their fanbase much to cheer about...

Fran's home record in 3 years: 17-7

Of the 17 wins, 11 of them have come against patsies:

Baylor (2), Arkansas St., SMU, Texas St., Utah, Wyoming, The Citadel, Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Tech

Losses: Texas (2), Texas Tech (2), Oklahoma, Iowa St., Oklahoma St.

Not only does Fran have a mediocre home record, most of his wins have come against chumps.

This might be the career altering game for Fran...one way or the other.

DJAG07
11/2/2006, 02:33 AM
Um... guys... we're loud because we have the largest student section in the country. Students are loud. Alumni generally are not.

Fraggle145
11/2/2006, 03:22 AM
Um... guys... we're loud because we have the largest student section in the country. Students are loud. Alumni generally are not.

man I hate to say this, but have you been to a game in the SEC (granted a decent team)? even during the sucky games they are still A LOT louder. granted most of them have more capcity than us. for example I went to UGA for 2.5 years and they were WAY louder than us(or the fAggies for that matter) (they do have 10,000 more people). But their student section consisted of one sliver in the corner of the endzone, one section in the third upper deck and the small section in their open endzone. The sound typically measured out between 100-115db when they were on defense. even with the semi-open section because it was so tall it was really loud everywhere (and I sat in just about every section at least once, my buddy was one of their strength coaches, it was a little less loud near the open end). We could definitely be alot louder.

Anyway, just sayin.. :pop:

Harry Beanbag
11/2/2006, 06:32 AM
http://www.utexasclan.com/images/squeeze.gif

fadada1
11/2/2006, 08:36 AM
man I hate to say this, but have you been to a game in the SEC (granted a decent team)? even during the sucky games they are still A LOT louder. granted most of them have more capcity than us. for example I went to UGA for 2.5 years and they were WAY louder than us(or the fAggies for that matter) (they do have 10,000 more people). But their student section consisted of one sliver in the corner of the endzone, one section in the third upper deck and the small section in their open endzone. The sound typically measured out between 100-115db when they were on defense. even with the semi-open section because it was so tall it was really loud everywhere (and I sat in just about every section at least once, my buddy was one of their strength coaches, it was a little less loud near the open end). We could definitely be alot louder.

Anyway, just sayin.. :pop:
yet another myth about college football. SEC games ARE NOT louder than anywhere else. i have been in the swamp for UF/tenn and UF/fsu (easily their 2 biggest games), and it is no louder than any OU game i've been to. i wasn't at the OU/bugeater game in 2000 - and have heard that was the loudest ever - but the OU/colorado game in 91 was the loudest i've ever heard our stadium (and it WAS louder than the swamp). nebraska game in 90 was a very close second.

footballfanatic
11/2/2006, 09:07 AM
I went to a game at Kyle field. My car got egged for having a UT sticker. (It also had an ATm sticker, so go figure.)

BIG_IKE
11/2/2006, 09:13 AM
Well A&M and Texas have twice the amount of students of most schools in the NCAA. What does A&M have like almost 50,000 students? I would HOPE you had the largest studetn section.

That being said, with between 40-50K on campus, it's a damn travesty you dont fill your stadium up for every home game.

I look at schools like Rice that only have 2,000 students...but they have a 70,000 seat stadium. It's been said that Rice does not have 70,000 Alumni living or dead...so technically every all-time Rice Owl could fit in their stadium....yet they can at least muster 30,000 or so for home games.

SAD Aggie...SAD.. there is no excuse for you not maxing out. Win or lose, just sheer numbers alone.

Fraggle145
11/2/2006, 09:51 AM
yet another myth about college football. SEC games ARE NOT louder than anywhere else. i have been in the swamp for UF/tenn and UF/fsu (easily their 2 biggest games), and it is no louder than any OU game i've been to. i wasn't at the OU/bugeater game in 2000 - and have heard that was the loudest ever - but the OU/colorado game in 91 was the loudest i've ever heard our stadium (and it WAS louder than the swamp). nebraska game in 90 was a very close second.

Loudest game I have ever been to is a tie between UGA/Auburn, and UGA/South Carolina. I never thought the swamp was considered one of the loudest, thats just me. Although I think you would have to put the UGA/UF game as one of their two biggest (it is just played at a neutral site). Thought that LSU was bloody loud. I was at OU/Bugeater adn it was friggin loud, but not as loud as those two (I was parked on the 50 yd line in the student section). Anyway, was just using this to illustrate two points: (1) I'm not that impressed with aggie, both in light of mallen's attendance info and in light of them just not being very good (not saying that it isnt loud there or that I think that this is an easy win), and (2) when we add on to our stadium we should build up.

:pop:

Texags
11/2/2006, 09:53 AM
What is killing our attendance is a combination of the highest ticket prices in the country and a head coach that has given us 77 to 0, getting blown out by lowly OSU at home, getting blown out by lowly ISU at home, a loss to Baylor and a home OT game against Baylor, and the list goes on and on.

I've never been more upset over aggie football than I was the day of the 77 to 0 game. Then, Fran 1-ups that when we get blown out by a horrible ISU team last year in Kyle Field. I actually walked out of that game early, which I had never done before.

I think it's going to take a good season this year to bring the fans back. Another thing that could help would be for Dollar Bill to offer more lower priced seats. Right now he's selling endzone bleacher seats for $83.00 each. They have a horrible view. They shouldn't cost that much if we were playing UT.

btw, I have season tickets this year and have 4 tickets to the OU game. I'm just talking about why the non-hardcore fan isn't coming to the games.

mrowl
11/2/2006, 10:08 AM
didn't ticket prices double in 2003 or 04?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/2/2006, 10:18 AM

Funny

Aggie's are loud even when their team is getting whipped. I rember the game (01 I think) we are winning by 3-4 TDs late in the game and the Aggie Section was doing their cheers apparently oblivious to the score or situation. Reminds me a little now of the USC Cheerleader, inapproiate time to cheer fark thread.

Kyle field will be loud Sat night. Loud enough to kill a Collie.

Herr Scholz
11/2/2006, 10:56 AM
kyle has been sold out 3 times in the last 4 years. What a dismal, fairweather, overrated, full of themselves for no reason fan base. :rolleyes:

mrowl
11/2/2006, 11:02 AM
the sellout last year is due to the thousands of texas fans at that game.

BIG_IKE
11/2/2006, 11:06 AM
TOP 15 HOME FOOTBALL ATTENDANCE SCHOOLS (2005)
1. Michigan 110,915
2. Tennessee 107,593
3. Ohio State 105,017
4. Penn State 104,859
5. Georgia 92,701
6. LSU 91,580
7. Southern Cal 90,574
8. Florida 90,406
9. Oklahoma 84,331
10. Auburn 84,161
11. Texas 83,333
12. Florida State 82,724
13. Wisconsin 82,551
14. Alabama 81,018
15. Notre Dame 80,795

Where is Texas A&M

Highest Stadium Capacity Attendance % (2005)

1. Oregon 108.21
2. Nebraska 104.83
3. Texas 104.06
4. Ohio State 103.40
5. Tennessee 103.38
6. Michigan 103.18
7. N.C. State 102.77
8. Wisconsin 102.73
9. Oklahoma 102.70
10. Florida 102.10

These schools filled EVERY SEAT, EVERY HOME GAME and then some.
Kyle Field is just Jones AT&T East..lol

soonersam
11/2/2006, 11:12 AM
Hundreds of fans never make it into the game because their killed for walking on the sacred grass. Thats why the students have swords..

fadada1
11/2/2006, 11:18 AM
What a dismal, fairweather, overrated, full of themselves for no reason fan base. :rolleyes:
hello pot. my name is kettle. i'm black too.:D

Mac94
11/2/2006, 11:36 AM
First the original stats have Army listed for 2006, that game was in the Alamo Dome, not Kyle Field, and was Army's home game.

Second, alot of this is a product of poor seasons, anger with the coaching staff, and ticket prices.

When down times come there are empty seats ... that happens everywhere from A&M, Texas, or OU.

OU had a stadium capacity of 75,004 in the 1990's and it was the norm for there to be empty seats in Norman back then.

In 1995 you all had 64,217 for SMU and 65,829 for North Texas

In 1996 you all had 65,569 for your home opener against TCU, 68,384 for Tulsa, 64,333 for Kansas, and 61,217 for Texas Tech. You all had one sellout, Nebraska.

In 1997 you all had 68,342 for a home opener against Syracuse, there were zero sellouts, and you all ended the year with an offical attendance of 64,929for A&M (and there were no where neqar that many people there).

During those three years, OU had three sellouts total and had 10,000 or more empty seats at least four times and at least 5,000 empty seats at least 10 times.

Doesa this mean OU had bad fans ... heck no ... it was a product of down years, esp by Sooner standards. Fans voted their displeasure with their feet ... and that is not uncommon in football.

BIG_IKE
11/2/2006, 11:37 AM
Hmmmm....The Agg has a point.

fadada1
11/2/2006, 11:45 AM
Hmmmm....The Agg has a point.
maybe so. but they're 8-1 this year. we were 3-8.

i can understand low attendance when a program is down, but they're 8-1 with all the expectation of a second coming of bear bryant... who invented college football, btw.

OUMallen
11/2/2006, 11:48 AM
The point of the original post is not so much that A&M doesn't sell out every game. The point is the media doesn't recognize it.

Oh, and the Bama OU game @ Bama was the loudest I think I've ever been to except MAYBE the goalline stand against OSU 52-9. Bama fans are way, way. way loud.

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/2/2006, 12:09 PM
Aggie has gone 29-14 at home since 2000 and 14-19 on the road during that same period.

That's not that great a home winning percentage considering there are a couple of built in wins each year like Texas State and McNeese State, etc.

And the kicker... I didn't have time to run down all the stats, so I just looked at the top two home attendance games based on the above stats each year since 2003.

In their biggest games, when they're rilly rilly squeezing their weiners the hardest or however that "tradition" goes...

They're only 3-5 in the top 2 attended games each year since 2003. One of the wins is overtime Baylor.

OUMallen
11/2/2006, 12:18 PM
Again, the point is not that they don't sellout every game; it's sthat the media still fluffs them for being the best fanbase around. Think about how we would get blasted if we put less than 77k in the stands. Why do they get the "best fan" moniker when they don't even show up? THAT'S the point.

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/2/2006, 12:23 PM
Again, the point is not that they don't sellout every game; it's sthat the media still fluffs them for being the best fanbase around. Think about how we would get blasted if we put less than 77k in the stands. Why do they get the "best fan" moniker when they don't even show up? THAT'S the point.

Not only are they not the best fanbase, aside from cupcakes, their great home field advantage doesn't amount to much.

Boomer.....
11/2/2006, 12:24 PM
...except MAYBE the goalline stand against OSU 52-9.
That was some insane loudness!

fadada1
11/2/2006, 12:25 PM
Why do they get the "best fan" moniker when they don't even show up? THAT'S the point.
maybe because the fans who actually show up... squeeze their nuts and "hump it" to share in the pain of playing football (or watching fran football).

OUMallen
11/2/2006, 12:37 PM
Haha, I was gonna say, isn't the underperformance year-in and year-out pain enough!?

AlabamaSooner
11/2/2006, 12:38 PM
The point of the original post is not so much that A&M doesn't sell out every game. The point is the media doesn't recognize it.

Oh, and the Bama OU game @ Bama was the loudest I think I've ever been to except MAYBE the goalline stand against OSU 52-9. Bama fans are way, way. way loud.

That OU/Bama game in Tuscaloosa was really loud. You couldn't hear yourself think right before the fake punt. Bryant-Denny Stadium is much like Owen Field in that a smaller opponent doesn't cause the crowd to get into it too much...but when a rival or big game comes along, it gets hella loud.

BIG_IKE
11/2/2006, 01:05 PM
This is interesting...

http://www.aggiesports.com/images/050706/prices1.jpg

OUMallen
11/2/2006, 01:15 PM
Who cares if your ticket prices are high. That's your fault. Put butts in seats.

yur-out
11/2/2006, 01:17 PM

Ok, I'm confused now.

I think it's going to take a good season this year to bring the fans back. Another thing that could help would be for Dollar Bill to offer more lower priced seats. Right now he's selling endzone bleacher seats for $83.00 each. They have a horrible view. They shouldn't cost that much if we were playing UT.

Mac94
11/2/2006, 01:25 PM
Who cares if your ticket prices are high. That's your fault. Put butts in seats.

Only in the sense that our "powers that be" hired a man nicknamed "Dollar Bill" to be our A.D. Our ticket prices skyrocketed right after Bill Byrne was hired.

Sooner_Bob
11/2/2006, 01:26 PM
But they're still nut squeezers right?

sexatskcus
11/2/2006, 01:29 PM
The Texas State game in 2005 was moved to a Thursday because of Hurricane Rita. Texas A&M asked people who weren't already in College Station to not come to the game because of the mass exodus out of Houston on Highway 21 (one of the main roads to College Station and also one of the main evacuation routes out of Houston). That is a big reason it was low.

The Army game in 2006 was at the Alamodome in San Antonio. It was close to sold out because the capacity is only 65 or 70k I think.

OUMallen
11/2/2006, 01:40 PM
Only in the sense that our "powers that be" hired a man nicknamed "Dollar Bill" to be our A.D. Our ticket prices skyrocketed right after Bill Byrne was hired.

He works for A&M. Don't complain about ticketprices causing non-sellouts. That's A&M's fault, which is the point. A&M isn't selling out games when they are the best fans in the nation, supposedly. Those two things should be mutually exclusive.

OldGuyinStudentSection
11/2/2006, 01:47 PM
As you pointed out, Texas A&M has the largest student section in the country: over 28,000

Texas A&M currently boasts over 250,000 living alumni.

Texas A&M is 90 miles from the Houston metroplex and its 5.3 million residents.

Aggy does not have the best fans in the country. Most eccentric? Absolutely.

Mac94
11/2/2006, 01:52 PM
OUMallen -

Ticket prices do factor in if you price your fan base out of the market. An extreme example would be ... would OU's stadium be full if tickets were $50,000 each? Logic would say no ... the fans may love the school, the team, paint their houses crimson and name their sons Barry or Bob but if you can't afford it you can't afford it.

Now, this is an extreme example, but fans do have a breaking point financially. And remember, the prices listed do not include donation levels which are required for most season tickets. This can add $1,000's of dollars to the listed price.

Add to this an on the field product that fans are not happy with and some fans, while maybe passionate about their school, will vote with their pocketbook on the state of the program. That has happened at OU, which has very good fans, at Texas, and other programs. It happens, it is a fact.

A&M has good fans, very good fans, and an alum base that tends to be passionate about their school.

There are other issues, esp in regards to demographics of our alumni base, but that is a complicated issue.

tru2ou
11/2/2006, 02:06 PM
First the original stats have Army listed for 2006, that game was in the Alamo Dome, not Kyle Field, and was Army's home game.

Second, alot of this is a product of poor seasons, anger with the coaching staff, and ticket prices.

When down times come there are empty seats ... that happens everywhere from A&M, Texas, or OU.

OU had a stadium capacity of 75,004 in the 1990's and it was the norm for there to be empty seats in Norman back then.

In 1995 you all had 64,217 for SMU and 65,829 for North Texas

In 1996 you all had 65,569 for your home opener against TCU, 68,384 for Tulsa, 64,333 for Kansas, and 61,217 for Texas Tech. You all had one sellout, Nebraska.

In 1997 you all had 68,342 for a home opener against Syracuse, there were zero sellouts, and you all ended the year with an offical attendance of 64,929for A&M (and there were no where neqar that many people there).

During those three years, OU had three sellouts total and had 10,000 or more empty seats at least four times and at least 5,000 empty seats at least 10 times.

Doesa this mean OU had bad fans ... heck no ... it was a product of down years, esp by Sooner standards. Fans voted their displeasure with their feet ... and that is not uncommon in football.

The difference is, in 1995, 1996, 1997, no one was talking about how the OU crowd influenced games and how tough it was to come into Owen Field and win. Gameday never came to town and showed how great are fans were and had a meter showing how loud they got.

I went to all the OU games throughout the 90's (in fact, I drove 5 hours each way from Austin for every home game the year we went 3-8). Your team needs even more support when they arent winning so yes, I would say if you arent showing up during the down years or for lower level teams, you're a bad fan.

It also makes game like Nebraska in 2000 and OSU in 2003 and TAMU (77-0) all the more fun. You know you've been there during the lean years and you appreciate it even more.

-TRU

OSUAggie
11/2/2006, 02:19 PM
anybody else not miffed @ KSU's 8 home games???????

Mac94
11/2/2006, 02:38 PM
tru2ou -

Yes and no .... part of it is a difference in ideas. Some fans view things a bit different, but it doens't make them bad fans.

We at A&M have had this debate as a fan base the past few years and both sides have valid points. One side takes the arguement you made, the other side takes this point of view:

The average fan has little say in what happens with a team. You may spend thousands and thousands yearly but you have no say or control in what happens. A football program isn't a democracy and the head coach isn't gonna come up for reelection so fans have little options when they see real issues that aren't being addressed. But, these type of fans may choose to use the two avenues that they do have to try to make their voice heard; 1) staying home ... ADs don't like empty seats, and 2) with their pocketbook in donations and season tickets.

If a fan takes that avenue are they a bad fan? I don't think so, but thats my point of view. It has been hard to be an Aggie fan the past few years. So, if anyone still dons the maroon and white then they probably are pretty good fans. I can tell you it wasn't fun wearing the maroon and white here in Austin in 2003, esp after 77-0 ... but many of us still did, proudly, even though we were unhappy with the state of our program.

Ayway, that's my opinion.

Now, are Aggies the best fans ever? I'd say in my limited experience that Nebraska has some of the best fans I've seen. Aggies are a different kinda group, though, and that does make us stand out. From all our traditions and unique game experience it will stand out to those that aren't around us much. This is why so many fans of teams from other parts of the country that have visited Kyle to see their team have come away amazed by us. Ask Pitt, Clemson, Virginia Tech people that came to College Station about A&M and you'd be amazed at thier reaction.

I grew up going to games in Norman with my dad (Sooner class of 74) and of course I am an A&M alum. I have experienced OU-Texas and OU-Nebraska and big games at Kyle Field. I don't think one fan base is "better" than the other but A&M and Kyle is just different ... and for guys at ESPN and other media, they remember that.

Fraggle145
11/2/2006, 02:45 PM
Aggy does not have the best fans in the country. Most eccentric? Absolutely.

nuff said'

sooneron
11/2/2006, 02:48 PM
yep

MiccoMacey
11/2/2006, 03:15 PM
The average fan has little say in what happens with a team. You may spend thousands and thousands yearly but you have no say or control in what happens. A football program isn't a democracy and the head coach isn't gonna come up for reelection so fans have little options when they see real issues that aren't being addressed. But, these type of fans may choose to use the two avenues that they do have to try to make their voice heard; 1) staying home ... ADs don't like empty seats, and 2) with their pocketbook in donations and season tickets.

If a fan takes that avenue are they a bad fan? I don't think so, but thats my point of view. It has been hard to be an Aggie fan the past few years. So, if anyone still dons the maroon and white then they probably are pretty good fans. I can tell you it wasn't fun wearing the maroon and white here in Austin in 2003, esp after 77-0 ... but many of us still did, proudly, even though we were unhappy with the state of our program.

Mac,

I can agree that not attending games doesn't make you a bad fan. Some of us can't afford it, and even when we can we feel a little guilty from taking away from the time/money we could be spending with/on our kids.

But I don't really buy that there are 40,000 alumni staging some kind of concerted "money protest" against Franccioni and Byrnes. There's no way that many people have individually or collectively thought they can affect real change by sitting out "x" games.

Especially when those same people will show up for a game against Texas. That flies in the face of what you're saying. "I'm not going to any of the games to show I want a change....except the Texas game...I'm going to go to that one....and maybe Baylor, too."

Doesn't add up.

And I'm a huge A&M fan. Lived in College Station for two years and loved the experience. And Kyle Field CAN be the loudest place when filled to capacity. So I'm not knocking on Aggie.

But the mystique is blown out of proportion.

OK2LA
11/2/2006, 03:16 PM
Oh, and the Bama OU game @ Bama was the loudest I think I've ever been

I would agree.

Mac94
11/2/2006, 03:25 PM
But the mystique is blown out of proportion.

Oh, I'm not gonna disagree there ... and part of it is kinda old and dates back to the old SWC days when ESPN would cover the A&M-Texas games and back when we only lost something like 5 or 6 home games in 12 or so years.

As for 40,000 alum holding out ... nope, we usually have around 5,000 to 10,000 empty seats ... and part of those fall on the students. But, if you follow our fan base you'd know there have been many that have stopped buying season tickets as a protest.

That doens't mean they don't go to any games ... but that they forgo season tickets and the required donation and pick up tickets here or there via other sources.

tru2ou
11/2/2006, 03:47 PM
I'm not referring to fans who don't buy tickets or don't go to games due to family etc. I'm talking about people who have tickets and don't show up or people who choose to buy tickets to big games only. You can always give your tickets to someone who wants to go but doesnt have the means to do it.

If you have at least one sell out every year, then there are thousands of "bad fans". Those are the ones who show up for big games or when the team is playing well.

Yes, I think you're a bad fan if you have tickets and dont show up or if you have the ability to attend the games and you don't take the time.

Obviously, by this explanation, TAMU has quite a few "bad fans" right now.

Don't brag about how great Aggie fans are when you have a large number who arent going to games.

- TRU

Mac94
11/2/2006, 04:00 PM
So, wouldn't that mean you think that many in the Stands in Norman are "bad fans?" Sure, the stands may be full now but that's because OU has been a power, but the number clearly show that they weren't there in the 1990's. Are all those Sooners around you "bad" fans?

Crimson and Orange
11/2/2006, 04:33 PM
The Army game in 2006 was at the Alamodome in San Antonio. It was close to sold out because the capacity is only 65 or 70k I think.

The Army game was not a home game. You have 7 real home games (Citadel, U-La-La, La Tech, T-Tech, Mizzou, OU, and Nebbish) this year.

Besides, if that stadium was smaller, and Army bought a whole crapload of seats for a game 2000 miles from their home turf, leaving fewer for you all, isn't that all the more reason you should have sold out your allotment to a game that was about 100 miles from Aggyland?

TexasLidig8r
11/2/2006, 04:50 PM
??????

Crimson and Orange???

WTF? :confused:

Crimson and Orange
11/2/2006, 05:00 PM
Crimson and Orange???

WTF? :confused:

My die-hard Sooner spouse asked for a username she could tolerate. "Go Horns" wasn't acceptable, nor were most of the anti-UT ones she suggested. I had to compromise or go to the OSU game Saturday knowing she would spend the evening teaching our 2-and-a-half year old the upside down "hook 'em" sign.
:texan:

Herr Scholz
11/2/2006, 06:11 PM
My die-hard Sooner spouse asked for a username she could tolerate. "Go Horns" wasn't acceptable, nor were most of the anti-UT ones she suggested. I had to compromise or go to the OSU game Saturday knowing she would spend the evening teaching our 2-and-a-half year old the upside down "hook 'em" sign.
:texan:
No offense but you need to grow a pair.

stoopified
11/2/2006, 06:21 PM
Hundreds of fans never make it into the game because their killed for walking on the sacred grass. Thats why the students have swords..Heh.

OK2LA
11/2/2006, 06:22 PM

uh huh. yup. that oklahoma poon will even make a texas boy loopy.

Crimson and Orange
11/2/2006, 06:42 PM

http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/11/30518461266.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3882533)

birddog
11/2/2006, 06:49 PM
http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/11/30518461266.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3882533)

hehe.

Harry Beanbag
11/2/2006, 07:02 PM

So does Bevo.

goingoneight
11/2/2006, 11:43 PM

Really, you should teach him the Hook 'em yourself. A child must know these things... :D

Jello Biafra
11/3/2006, 12:07 AM
I went to a game at Kyle field. My car got egged for having a UT sticker. (It also had an ATm sticker, so go figure.)

no. you got egged because you are a putz.....

bluedogok
11/3/2006, 12:40 AM
The difference is, in 1995, 1996, 1997, no one was talking about how the OU crowd influenced games and how tough it was to come into Owen Field and win. Gameday never came to town and showed how great are fans were and had a meter showing how loud they got.

I went to all the OU games throughout the 90's (in fact, I drove 5 hours each way from Austin for every home game the year we went 3-8). Your team needs even more support when they arent winning so yes, I would say if you arent showing up during the down years or for lower level teams, you're a bad fan.

It also makes game like Nebraska in 2000 and OSU in 2003 and TAMU (77-0) all the more fun. You know you've been there during the lean years and you appreciate it even more.

-TRUIt allowed my dad the opportunity to finally buy season tickets and I waited a year to late to buy my own...dang it. The losing shook a bunch of the bandwagon "social fans" out of the trees and that was a good thing.

The Army game was not a home game. You have 7 real home games (Citadel, U-La-La, La Tech, T-Tech, Mizzou, OU, and Nebbish) this year.

Besides, if that stadium was smaller, and Army bought a whole crapload of seats for a game 2000 miles from their home turf, leaving fewer for you all, isn't that all the more reason you should have sold out your allotment to a game that was about 100 miles from Aggyland?Most Army fans are nowhere near West Point, most are stationed elsewhere or retirees, which San Antonio has a bunch of both and the reason why the game was held there in the first place. They are a lot like ND with their "associated" fans. An Aggie co-worker (2005) tried to get tix through the school and was told the schools allotment was sold out.

badger
11/3/2006, 01:29 AM
This is interesting...

ou is fun and cheap :D

Herr Scholz
11/3/2006, 01:56 AM
uh huh. yup. that oklahoma poon will even make a texas boy loopy.
Any good poon does that. I was bamboozled enough to marry a Texas Aggie.

Herr Scholz
11/3/2006, 01:56 AM
And I'm a Cubs fan. Fear me, biatches!

badger
11/3/2006, 02:12 AM
And I'm a Cubs fan. Fear me, biatches!
you're cursed like corso, friend.

TexasLidig8r
11/3/2006, 09:07 AM
Any good poon does that. I was bamboozled enough to marry a Texas Aggie.

First.. there is NO such thing as a Texas aggie. That would be...

Texas A&M aggy.

Second.... are you and he happy?

:D

(sorry Herr... I couldn't help myself!)

BoonesFarmSooner
11/3/2006, 09:32 AM
What is killing our attendance is a combination of the highest ticket prices in the country and a head coach that has given us 77 to 0, getting blown out by lowly OSU at home, getting blown out by lowly ISU at home, a loss to Baylor and a home OT game against Baylor, and the list goes on and on.

I have two tickets in Section 144, which is on the 40 YL, lower level and face value on those tickets is $83 each.

Your people charge the same for 40 YL seats as they do for bleacher seats?

You folks aren't too bright....

Mac94
11/3/2006, 09:34 AM
First.. there is NO such thing as a Texas aggie.

Get over yourself, we've been the Texas Aggies since long before you were born.

http://lhb.music.utexas.edu/history/songs_index.html

From a 1952 letter by Colonel Walter S. Hunnicutt on the history of Texas Fight:

"I wrote 'Texas Fight' ... in an attempt to counteract the songs and yells of the Texas Aggies, which were not too complimentary to our Student Body and some of which tended to ridicule 'The Eyes of Texas'.

http://www.aggies9496.com/Images/FootballPics1/JunctionBoysCoaches.jpg

TexasLidig8r
11/3/2006, 09:39 AM
Get over yourself, we've been the Texas Aggies since long before you were born.

http://lhb.music.utexas.edu/history/songs_index.html

http://www.aggies9496.com/Images/FootballPics1/JunctionBoysCoaches.jpg

Mac.. Mac... Mac...
Are there Texas Horned Frogs?
Are there Texas Bobcats?

If you're ashamed of the A&M part, that's ok.. we understand. With the help of a good therapist, I'm sure we can get you back to somewhat a state of normalcy within a few years. After all, at A&M, if you do something stupid once, it's just stupid. If you do something stupid twice, you call it a tradition.

Now.. as for the game.. God help me.. I can't believe I'm about to say this...

I think aggy wins.

But.. a serious question, if Corso picks aggy to win, does he put a sheep on his head?

Mac94
11/3/2006, 09:44 AM
Lidig8r -

Since when did Aggies ever follow in the steps of others? We don't care what other schools do or don't call themselves ... we've been the Texas Aggie for a LONG time ... well before we were Texas A&M University. The Texas Aggies we were, the Texas Aggies we ARE, and the Texas Aggies we shall be. Learn it, live it, love it.

Mac94
11/3/2006, 09:48 AM
And for the Sooners:

"The Texas Aggies"

"You say Sir he is sorta crude like,
and as country as a Hoot,
But he's Hero of this Nation
When the guns begin to shoot.
You say Sir, that it's just a joke
and only done for fun
But have you seen the record, Sir,
Of what these guys have done?
More Officers and Men, Sir,
In time of war they say
Than any other School, Sir,
Throughout the USA.
When their Country needs them
They're among the first to die
So it's kinda hard to laugh, Sir
When you've seen their families cry.
You can say they pick their nose
Can't even play a flute
But they're the heroes of this Nation
When the guns begin to shoot.
They ain't no perfumed Beatniks
With a Hair-do and a Fan
So you can call a Texas Aggie
When you really need a Man.
They don't mind your lies and jokes, Sir
When you want a little fun
They'll even join in laughing
about the things they've done.
But when the Laughing's over
And you've had your last big Hoot
Just call the Texas Aggies
When the guns begin to shoot"

This poem was written by J. Gordon Bristow of Oklahoma University, one of Texas A&M's long time rivals. He is referring to A&M's outstanding participation in American wars. In World War II, 18,000 Aggies went to fight, of these 14,000 served as officers, more than any other school, including the United States military Academy. Seven of these young men were awarded the Medal of Honor, the highest honor our Country can award. So many Aggies fought in this war that the US Army printed posters and billboards that read: "Join the Army, and help the Aggies win the War." You can read more about A&M's participation in World War II and other American wars in the Sander's Corps Center.

trwxxa
11/3/2006, 09:56 AM
I'm surprised none of the Aggies have brought this up.

http://www.replayphotos.com/content/p/9/catid/1/catid1/12

Two of the pictures on the top row help explain "the myth". Still one of the most impressive sights I have seen and I do not think there is any other school that could have pulled it off.

Mac94
11/3/2006, 10:00 AM
"Red, "White, and Blue Out" was an amazing thing that was pulled off by the students. That was obviously the first game we had after the 9/11 attacks ... the visiting team was Oklahoma State. Even the coaches all wore RWB t-shirts that day.

Ash
11/3/2006, 10:02 AM
And for the Sooners:

Are you an Akita breeder?

Mac94
11/3/2006, 10:03 AM
????

TexasLidig8r
11/3/2006, 10:07 AM
Lidig8r -

Since when did Aggies ever follow in the steps of others? We don't care what other schools do or don't call themselves ... .

Every once in awhile, one runs across a post that is so dripping, nay, the very essence of it defines irony, that one is forced to comment.

aggy's very existence revolves around envy, and trying to keep up, with Texas. From the numerous references to The University in your aggy war hymn, to taking our recruiting leftovers... to those cute little "Reggie is better than Vince" and "CLew is better than Benson" posts on texags... everything aggy does is with an eye to keeping up with the Joneses.

Mac... We ARE the Joneses. :D

On another side note, how sweet would it be for a 10 - 1 aggy team to come into DKR on T+1. This could very well be the biggest game in the history of aggy.... and,.... our 4th biggest one this year!

Ash
11/3/2006, 10:14 AM
????

The webiste you pulled that poem from is an Akita breeder's exchange. Just wondering. I've been thinking of getting a dog.

Mac94
11/3/2006, 10:21 AM
Lidig8r -

Spoken like someone that doens't know the history of YOUR OUR school.

From the band link above:

"Long before I entered The University of Texas in 1909 and until about the year 1928 the Aggies had one of the most effective and awe inspiring songs used by any student body any where any time. 'Farmers Fight' at that time was their sacred College song. ... It was to them what 'The Eyes of Texas' had always been to us. The song was a repetition of the words 'Farmers Fight' sung to the well known bugle call 'Taps' in the same slow tempo as the bugle call is used by the army for lights out at night.

"Returning to Marlin, TX after World War One I resumed my practice of attending most of the Texas foot-ball games, especially those with A. & M. It occurred to me that an effective way to strike back at the Aggies was to write a 'Texas Fight' song in answer to their 'Farmers Fight' using the same bugle call 'Taps' changed to lively march time and having 'Texas' throughout the song instead of 'Farmers'. 'Texas Fight' (Texas Taps) is the result."

So saturday, when you all break out the "Texas Fight", know that what you are doing was created to COPY US.

Oh, and when you raise the "Hook 'Em" hand sign:

http://utopia.utexas.edu/articles/alcalde/hooked.html
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA012205.1A.bush_horns.2fafe523.html

Harley Clark unveiled the "Hook 'em" sign when he was a UT cheerleader in 1955 as an answer to the Aggies' "Gig 'em."

Remember, when you raise your hands high to "Hook 'Em" ... you're doing something to COPY US!

Your own fight song refers to us as well ....

So, before you start that stuff about us copying you all in everything ... it's a two way street.

Mac94
11/3/2006, 10:24 AM
Ash -

Got iy from here:

http://www.seastrunk.com/aggie_stuff.htm

TexasLidig8r
11/3/2006, 10:26 AM
Lidig8r -

Spoken like someone that doens't know the history of YOUR OUR school.

From the band link above:

So saturday, when you all break out the "Texas Fight", know that what you are doing was created to COPY US.

Oh, and when you raise the "Hook 'Em" hand sign:

http://utopia.utexas.edu/articles/alcalde/hooked.html
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA012205.1A.bush_horns.2fafe523.html

Remember, when you raise your hands high to "Hook 'Em" ... you're doing something to COPY US!

Your own fight song refers to us as well ....

So, before you start that stuff about us copying you all in everything ... it's a two way street.

lol.. yes.. we aspire to one day, be as well known, as well respected, to be taken as seriously as..... aggy.

One reference to an ostensible rival out of historical respect is far, far different than having the entire song and motions, be about the school you aspire to be.

And, I notice that you did not even try to refute the absolute truth that the University of Texas is the standard about which aggy is trying to obtain. Smart man.

Mac94
11/3/2006, 10:40 AM
And, I notice that you did not even try to refute the absolute truth that the University of Texas is the standard about which aggy is trying to obtain. Smart man.

Your tradition on the athletic field ... of course, ya'll are the defending national champs and have a fine history in athletics. And, Texas is a fine academic instistitution as well, no probelm with seeking to be Texas' equal there in the eyes of the nation.

In other things .... uh, no ... otherwise our band would wear queer looking maroon outfits with tassels ands play broadway showtunes. We'd have cheerleaders and need cue cards to remember our complicated cheers ... like "Aggies" and "Fight." We have zero desire to be like a bunch of whiney tea sips culturally.

Fraggle145
11/3/2006, 11:02 AM
In other things .... uh, no ... otherwise our band would wear queer looking maroon outfits with tassels ands play broadway showtunes. We'd have cheerleaders and need cue cards to remember our complicated cheers ... like "Aggies" and "Fight." We have zero desire to be like a bunch of whiney tea sips culturally.

ZING!!

:pop:

Ash
11/3/2006, 11:23 AM
Ash -

Got iy from here:

http://www.seastrunk.com/aggie_stuff.htm

Whatever.

Much love and respect to all who have served and are serving our country, no matter what walk of life they are from.

As for the Aggie Cadets, as of today: cultish campus club that does some whacked out and sometimes downright laughable sh*t. No poem's going to change that fact.

OUstud
11/3/2006, 11:26 AM
Tomorrow will be my third trip to Collie Station. In 2002 and 2004, it wasn't full, and in 04, I believe we were 2nd in the country and they were well on their way to getting whipped in the Cotton Bowl. I haven't gotten to hear Kyle rock like it did apparently back in 2000, so I'm still going with the blocked punt vs. KSU in 2000 as the loudest I've ever heard a stadium.

NYaggie
11/3/2006, 11:57 AM
I haven't seen any published article lately that claims that A&M has the greatest fans in the history of the world. We don't have the championship history of other schools, so until we do yeah, there is going to be 5,000-10,000 that show up based on the quality of the opponent. The overwhelming majority of our fans are our still relatively small alumni base, not out of work t-shirt fans that support them only because they live in a state with no professional teams to root for. We've had some down years with an unpopular coach that took over for the winningest coach in school history. (or is there some other reason you decided to start your stats in Fran's first year?) Like a previous poster said, our idiot AD $ Bill thinks fans will see the same value in a $83 50-yard line seat with one in the corner of the nose-bleed "Zone" section.

I always love attendance smack arguments. It's like you're mocking someone having pride in their school by saying they don't have enough pride in their school. :rolleyes:

OUMallen
11/3/2006, 12:14 PM
I love how having students that will yell together and hump-it makes your fanbase SO amazing and impressive, yet when someone brings up attendance, you downplay it.

Face it: people don't come to your games because they don't care enough. End of story.

BIG_IKE
11/3/2006, 12:14 PM
Does A&M still frown upon female cheerleaders?

Mac94
11/3/2006, 12:33 PM
Aggie men LOVE female cheerleaders! We just don't have cheerleaders on our sidelines. We've had Yell Leaders (and a female can be a yell leader, btw, if she is voted in) and our Officers of the Day since we were an all male military school and that has continued.

We do have a nice dance team at our basketball games ... and the Diamond Darlings are nice as well.

Herr Scholz
11/3/2006, 12:40 PM
Second.... are you and he happy?

:D

(sorry Herr... I couldn't help myself!)
Hey! :mad:

NYaggie
11/3/2006, 12:57 PM
Face it: people don't come to your games because they don't care enough. End of story.

Avg. home attendance for 2006 (pulled from another site)

Texas - 88,279
Nebraska - 84,862
Oklahoma - 84,411
Texas A&M - 72,572

After the OU and Nebraska games, we will have 77k avg coming off 3 horrid seasons of football. Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
11/3/2006, 01:13 PM

Oh no you didn't just try band smack! bwahahahahahahahahahahahhaha!!!! Cue picture of corp turd squeezin and yellin here.

I do remember one Texas -- aggy game from about 10 years ago. aggy corpturds were doing their usual, playing the only 3 songs they know.. when.. one of the slides from a trombone player came off.. dropped to the turf... Nice.. nicely done.

As for culture... a cup of yogurt has more culture than Bryan/Colley Station. :D

Mac94
11/3/2006, 01:37 PM
Well, I must concede that there is alot of culture in Austin ... if you happen to "swing that way."

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

;)

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2006, 01:53 PM
Oh no you didn't just try band smack! bwahahahahahahahahahahahhaha!!!! Cue picture of corp turd squeezin and yellin here.

I do remember one Texas -- aggy game from about 10 years ago. aggy corpturds were doing their usual, playing the only 3 songs they know.. when.. one of the slides from a trombone player came off.. dropped to the turf... Nice.. nicely done.

As for culture... a cup of yogurt has more culture than Bryan/Colley Station. :D'

There was a guy over at bfans who claimed, and several witnesses collaborated the story, that one year they actually saw a member of the Aggie band marching without an instrument. I think he said he was in the flute section and holding his hands up as if playing an instrument but in reality he was blowing air...no instrument at all in his hand.

NYaggie
11/3/2006, 01:57 PM
'

There was a guy over at bfans who claimed, and several witnesses collaborated the story, that one year they actually saw a member of the Aggie band marching without an incident.

Well I would hope there would be an incident if he marched without an instrument.

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2006, 01:58 PM
Well I would hope there would be an incident if he marched without an instrument.

Hah yeah that was bad, I was actually thinking incident as well...