PDA

View Full Version : Bomar, Quinn must sit out year, lose year of eligibility

colleyvillesooner
11/1/2006, 05:25 PM
Former Oklahoma football players Rhett Bomar and J.D. Quinn must sit out one season, lose one season of eligibility and pay back thousands of dollars they received illegitimately from a campus job in order to have their eligibility restored, the NCAA said Wednesday.

"The NCAA reinstatement staff has assessed the facts presented by Oklahoma and agrees with its contention that both Mr. Bomar and Mr. Quinn willfully violated NCAA rules regarding preferential treatment and benefits," Jennifer Strawley, the NCAA's director of membership services and student-athlete reinstatement, said in a news release.

For Bomar, a sophomore who enrolled Divsion I-AA Sam Houston State after his dismissal from Oklahoma, this means he has only two remaining years of eligibility if he meets all other requirements for I-AA transfer students. He must also pay back $7,406.88 to a charity of his choosing as punishment for the wages he earned for work not performed.

"I am happy to get this behind me," Bomar told AP, who has been allowed to practice with the Bearkats. "I look forward to having the opportunity to represent Sam Houston State. This decision today will help take the focus off me and put the focus on the team."

Bomar played high school football for his father in the Dallas suburb of Grand Prairie and was one of the nation's top recruits in 2004. He redshirted, then threw for 2,018 yards and 10 touchdowns as a freshman at Oklahoma, leading the Sooners over Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.

"Obviously, we would have liked for him to able to play in games this season," Sam Houston coach Todd Whitten said. "But, with his experience working with the squad this fall and spring training ahead next year, we look forward to having him as a Bearkat for the next two seasons."

Quinn, now at Division I-AA Montana, is also a sophomore and also will have two remaining seasons of eligibility if he meets the same requirements. His charitable contribution must be $8,137.17.

Both Bomar and Quinn were employed at the same car dealership, owned by a man considered to have ties to Oklahoma athletics. The university launched an investigation and found that both knowingly accepted wages they had not earned.

Each of the universities involved can appeal the decision to the NCAA Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Dio
11/1/2006, 05:27 PM
Who?

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/1/2006, 05:29 PM
How come Dwayne Jerrett didn't have to?

Boomer.....
11/1/2006, 05:30 PM
So is the OU investigation over?

Boomer.....
11/1/2006, 05:30 PM
or Reggie Bush.

Thanks Colley.

colleyvillesooner
11/1/2006, 05:31 PM
or Reggie Bush

Fixed. Thanks for the heart attack.

SoonerJason
11/1/2006, 05:48 PM
Who is this Bomar people keep talking about? PT has been our QB since Jason "The Greatest Ever" White.

fwsooner22
11/1/2006, 05:50 PM
So is the OU investigation over?

NO

Widescreen
11/1/2006, 05:50 PM
Any bets on what charity Bomar will choose?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/1/2006, 06:16 PM
He can donate it to Sam Houston State and raise their athletic dept. budget to 8000.00 and they wont have to wear those leather helmets anymore...

KingDavid
11/1/2006, 06:27 PM

The Shelter for Battered Egos

KingDavid
11/1/2006, 06:29 PM

Rumors are that he has created his own private foundation and will donate all funds there.

As the president of the newly formed organization, he will be paying himself a salary of just over $7K.

soonerlaw
Pay back what they didn't earn and sit a few more games...seems to me the NCAA let them off pretty easy. Hope the same for the university.

soonerlaw
Thanks!

GrapevineSooner
11/1/2006, 06:31 PM
Pay back what they didn't earn and sit a few more games...seems to me the NCAA let them off pretty easy. Hope the same for the university.

colleyvillesooner
11/1/2006, 06:32 PM

Scott D
11/1/2006, 06:33 PM

actually Jarrett did have to pay the difference between his housing allowance and what his rent was to a charity before he was reinstated.

Jdog
11/1/2006, 07:06 PM
I'm not saying that I want this to happen - but what are the odds that one of them pulls a D.D. and returns back to OU?

sooner94
11/1/2006, 07:22 PM
I'm not saying that I want this to happen - but what are the odds that one of them pulls a D.D. and returns back to OU?

I think the DD scenario was a lot different.

proudsoonergal
11/1/2006, 07:35 PM

Slim to none.

wheatonsooner
11/1/2006, 07:45 PM
How come there is no punishment for the miami players for getting in a fight.

Rhino
11/1/2006, 07:47 PM
I'm not saying that I want this to happen - but what are the odds that one of them pulls a D.D. and returns back to OU? The DD scenario was VASTLY different.

And both players have been enrolled at other universities for some time.

goingoneight
11/1/2006, 08:30 PM
"I am happy to get this behind me," Bomar told AP, who has been allowed to practice with the Bearkats. "I look forward to having the opportunity to represent Sam Houston State. This decision today will help take the focus off me and put the focus on the team." .

Who's this AP we keep hearing about? :confused:

goingoneight
11/1/2006, 08:31 PM

Spike's Cars for Kids??? :confused:

OU-HSV
11/1/2006, 08:53 PM
They will always be a couple of idiots in my memory bank.

KingDavid
11/1/2006, 08:54 PM
none.

fixed.:D

KingDavid
11/1/2006, 08:54 PM
Who's this AP we keep hearing about? :confused:

AP stands for Adrian Peterson, you numbscull.

goingoneight
11/1/2006, 09:15 PM

Why do they call him... nevermind, played that one out too much...

Vaevictis
11/1/2006, 09:16 PM

DD was contrite. He accepted responsibility and corrected the situation. This is something that Bomar has NEVER done.

Also, DD didn't refer to Heupel as the "Heisman has-been."

badger
11/1/2006, 09:20 PM
They call Allen Patrick AD, because he's an Awesome Dude.

David Earl
11/1/2006, 10:04 PM

Because Oregon actually recovered the onside kick, in spite of what the film shows.

David Earl
11/1/2006, 10:05 PM
How come there is no punishment for the miami players for getting in a fight.

Because Oregon actually recovered the onside kick, in spite of what the film shows.

David Earl
11/1/2006, 10:07 PM

Refs will reward possession of the $ to Oregon.

Jdog
11/1/2006, 11:35 PM
The DD scenario was VASTLY different.

And both players have been enrolled at other universities for some time.

DD almost killed a friend by beating him into a coma - but he did apologized and stayed at OU
The other two took money - They did apologize but left school.
I see what you mean! Vastly different

yermom
11/1/2006, 11:47 PM
is that you JD? ;)

why didn't Jarrett or Troy Smith have to sit a year and lose eligibility?

Jdog
11/1/2006, 11:55 PM
is that you JD? ;)

why didn't Jarrett or Troy Smith have to sit a year and lose eligibility?

because they didn't have Stoops as their Coach -
nor had their Basketball and Football teams been caught in the last 2 to 4 years for violating the rules about calling recruits.

Rhino
11/2/2006, 12:02 AM
because they didn't have Stoops as their Coach -
nor had their Basketball and Football teams been caught in the last 2 to 4 years for violating the rules about calling recruits. You're right. Ohio State's basketball violations included paying one player $6000 and another constant cash and academic papers throughout his stay at the university, not phone calls.

birddog
11/2/2006, 12:04 AM
i don't remember the football coaches breaking rules with phone calls to recruits.

snp
11/2/2006, 01:10 AM
Should've gave them the chair.

ftworthfox
11/2/2006, 12:38 PM
I don't want to P*** off anyone, but the hard fact is that we'd be better off w/Bomar back in Crimson and Cream next year. Who do we have otherwise? Suck it up and tell the truth. With him, we'd have a shot next year. Without, we're out of the top 25.

Widescreen
11/2/2006, 12:44 PM
I don't want to P*** off anyone, but the hard fact is that we'd be better off w/Bomar back in Crimson and Cream next year. Who do we have otherwise? Suck it up and tell the truth. With him, we'd have a shot next year. Without, we're out of the top 25.
Maybe, maybe not. From the sound of it, the team didn't like him much so, while he has loads of talent, that's no guarantee the team would play well. We need to find Heupel Part Deux from the juco ranks and get a top notch HS QB.

David Earl
11/2/2006, 12:46 PM
Not angry, but I disagree. Bomar was bad for team chemistry. Our offense this season is better without him. A redshirt freshman or JUCO transfer (with good team chemistry) will be better next season than somebody with physical tools but bad chemistry (due to QB lack of maturity, etc).

Bomar has another chance at D2 level. I wish him well. But I'm not interested in him coming back to OU.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/2/2006, 12:59 PM
Out of the Top 25? Seriously who in the Big 12 is going to beat us...Miami is looking easier by the hour....I mean we are still 1 and 2 with Texas...and our new qb will be playing behind an experienced line and have some runnning backs with soaring confidence and recievers that are veterans!

soonervegas
11/2/2006, 01:05 PM
Our schedule is taylor made for a Top 10 finish next year. Decent QB play will get us to 10-2 next year. No reason to think Stoops and Co. will not find someone in the Juco ranks that can at least provide decent play. If they find someone that provides great play the only thing that stand between us and the Sugar Bowl is Texas.

9/1 North Texas - Win
9/8 Miami (FL) - Win (Potential Tossup)
9/15 Utah State - Win
9/22 at Tulsa - Win
9/29 at Colorado - Win
10/6 vs Texas - Loss
10/13 Missouri - Win
10/20 at Iowa State - Win
10/27 Oklahoma State - Win
11/3 Texas A&M - Win
11/10 Baylor - Win
11/17 at Texas Tech - Tossup

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/2/2006, 01:48 PM
Well thank God we already loss to Texas, i don't have to bother trying to get tickets now!!!

footballfanatic
11/2/2006, 02:35 PM
Well thank God we already loss to Texas, i don't have to bother trying to get tickets now!!!

While Texas will be strong next year on D and QB, receivers and running back, there will be a fall-off of experience at offensive line that will make us more vulnerable. If OU can exploit this, you have a reasonably good shot at winning the game. Still, the lack of QB and running back might make the game a loss.

snp
11/2/2006, 03:14 PM

Which is probably why some of us hate him so much. I thought he was going to be a great QB for us. Espically in Wilson's offense.