PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech Players Charged with Burglary

BIG_IKE
11/1/2006, 01:38 PM
LUBBOCK, Texas -- Three Texas Tech football players face burglary charges after being accused of breaking into a house and leaving with a laptop computer and an iPod, police said Tuesday.

Defensive end Rashad Hunt, offensive lineman Dimitri Lott and linebacker Julius Howard, all redshirt freshmen, were arrested about 3 a.m. Friday.

Efforts to reach attorneys representing the players were unsuccessful Tuesday.

None of the players has been dismissed or suspended, and Tech coach Mike Leach said he wasn't aware of the allegations until Monday.

"We wait until a guy's guilty," Leach said. "But if we're certain somebody's guilty, we may act sooner."

A man at the home called police after he saw two men leaving the front door then noticed the electronics gear missing. Officers arrested the three after stopping a car matching the one described by the man at the home, then found items believed to be from the home, police said.

Hunt, Dimitri and Howard were arraigned Saturday on charges of burglary of a habitation and released on $3,500 bond.

cvsooner
11/1/2006, 01:51 PM
Now if they could just arrest those officials from last year's game...did anybody else read Leach's comments about the officiating against Texas. Laughed long and hard about his complaints...then he just sorta says "Well, I guess what goes around comes around." Ha!

Texas Golfer
11/1/2006, 02:47 PM
None of them have been kicked off the team or even suspended...yet.

CobraKai
11/1/2006, 02:52 PM
"We wait until a guy's guilty," Leach said. "But if we're certain somebody's guilty, we may act sooner."

Translated:
1. We won't kick off team based on presumption of guilt.
2. We only kick off the team when the player is proven guilty.
2. We will kick off team if we presume his guilt.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/1/2006, 02:58 PM
Now if they could just arrest those officials from last year's game...did anybody else read Leach's comments about the officiating against Texas. Laughed long and hard about his complaints...then he just sorta says "Well, I guess what goes around comes around." Ha!

Link?

cvsooner
11/1/2006, 03:06 PM
You have but to ask: http://www.newsok.com/article/2964177/

and pasted below:

Leach not pleased with officials' calls

By George Schroeder
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma fans probably won't have much sympathy upon hearing of Texas Tech coach Mike Leach's frustration over several officials' calls during the Red Raiders' 35-31 loss to Texas last Saturday.

"I'm not allowed to comment on officiating," Leach said Monday, during the Big 12's weekly teleconference.

"But those that looked at it or have a copy of the game … certainly they're gonna arrive at various opinions. This after all, is America. And I'd encourage them to do so."

Among the plays Leach apparently did not like:

• In the first quarter, a third-down play ruled a catch, then a fumble (recovered by the receiver) was overturned by replay officials. The play would have given Tech a first down at the Texas 24.

• In the third quarter, Texas' Colt McCoy appeared to throw a pass after he crossed the line of scrimmage, but it wasn't called. Texas later scored on the drive.

• Tech coaches also showed frustration over pass-interference calls (called on Tech and not called on Texas), as well as a facemask penalty.

• In the fourth quarter, trying to rally, Tech was twice stopped short on fourth down. The Red Raiders thought one spot was especially bad, but it was upheld after a replay review.

Leach said he would send a videotape of the calls he disagreed with to the Big 12 office for review.

A few moments later, when asked whether the Big 12 South's current dominance was "cyclical," Leach returned to the previous topic.

"I certainly received some ‘cyclical' this weekend, and not just from the University of Texas, either," Leach said.

"Some ‘cyclical' things I'm not entitled to comment on."

OU fans might wonder if "cyclical" could be short for, "what goes around comes around." Do the three replay reviews late in Tech's controversial win a year ago come to mind?

caphorns
11/1/2006, 03:54 PM
"We wait until a guy's guilty," Leach said. "But if we're certain somebody's guilty, we may make him walk the plank. ARRRRRGH."

Fixed. I get the feeling these pirate activities were not what Leach had in mind.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/1/2006, 04:09 PM
Mike Leach is great. I don't like Tech much, but I like Mike. He's a hoot.

goingoneight
11/1/2006, 09:05 PM
I see Tech's players are finally getting arrested for robbery, is Taurean Henderson or Joel Filani in the group?

goingoneight
11/1/2006, 09:06 PM
When does www.firemikeleach.com show up??? I'm sure we can find him a home if so!!! :D

Scott D
11/2/2006, 05:27 PM
an update to the story...Hunt and Lott kicked off the team, Howard however still on the team.

goingoneight
11/2/2006, 11:57 PM
an update to the story...Hunt and Lott kicked off the team, Howard however still on the team.

Like they have a defense, anyway... They should have axed the LB, not like they would have noticed...

MissouriSooner
11/3/2006, 12:11 AM
Translated:
1. We won't kick off team based on presumption of guilt.
2. We only kick off the team when the player is proven guilty.
2. We will kick off team if we presume his guilt.
Sounds like doublespeak until you realize that Leach has a law degree...