PDA

View Full Version : The Southwest Conference

BIG_IKE
11/1/2006, 12:57 PM
Not many people know...

but Oklahoma was a Charter member of the Southwest Conference.
Do you all think if the Conference stayed together over the years it would be a powerhouse today? The conference almost had LSU and Ole Miss, but they eventually rejected. Had SMU not received the death penalty, they would no doubt be a power now. Here is how the conference would look if everyone stayed and LSU joined.

North
Oklahoma
Arkansas
TCU
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
SMU

South
Texas
LSU
Texas A&M
Houston
Rice
Baylor

Mac94
11/1/2006, 01:03 PM
On the field in would be fun but it would have had the same issues as the old SWC did ... it couldn't compete for TV with the big boys. Heck, the Big-12 is struggling TV wise right now with the Denver and St. Louis markets ... remove those and it would be worse.

The SWC was fun as it was a personal kinda thing. You know kids that went to Texas or A&M or UofH (Cougar High) or Tech or TCU, etc. You went to High School with them ... and after graduation you probably worked with alum from those schools. That made it a more personal thing because of the year round bragging rights and office talk. Plus, we had the history of all the old pranks, stunts, and controversy that would always surface each game week.

OSUAggie
11/1/2006, 01:11 PM
....it couldn't compete for TV with the big boys. Heck, the Big-12 is struggling TV wise right now with the Denver and St. Louis markets ... remove those and it would be worse.

very true...

BIG_IKE
11/1/2006, 01:18 PM
We would lose Denver and St. Louis,

but we would add NEw Orleans-Baton Rouge, Houston, and Dallas- Fort Worth.

Houston and Dallas each have larger markets than Denver and St. Louis combined.

sooneron
11/1/2006, 01:30 PM
I'm kind of happy with the way things are now. Now, if the north can have one true powerhouse team- or two really good ones..

Mac94
11/1/2006, 02:14 PM
Big Ike -

We already have the DFW and Houston markets ... as did the SWC of old. We might gain in New Orleans, but that doesn't replace Missouri and Colorado as states go. It would have the same TV issues in comparison to the SEC, ACC, Pac-10, and Big-10. TV is what drove the Big-8 and the SWC merger and even afterward, we still have TV issues. We still would have under your senario. On the field it would be fun ... but it would have issues.

Texags
11/1/2006, 02:39 PM
North
Oklahoma
Arkansas
TCU
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
SMU

South
Texas
LSU
Texas A&M
Houston
Rice
Baylor

I'd prefer this conference over the current one. I don't know that I'd like the divisions though. You have to keep the UT/OU game and A&M/Tech as an every year thing. It would probably work better with no divisions and a rotating schedule with some teams labeled as rivals that play every year.

We'd lose Nebraska and Colorado as good teams but replace them with Arkansas and LSU, which I prefer. Also, I'd rather have some of these hated Texas teams such as Houston and TCU than Iowa State and Kansas State.

IronSooner
11/1/2006, 02:50 PM
That sounds like a giant snooze-fest. Would anybody really want to go to road games at TCU, SMU, Houston or Rice?

Texags
11/1/2006, 02:51 PM
That sounds like a giant snooze-fest. Would anybody really want to go to road games at TCU, SMU, Houston or Rice?
Yeah, SMU and Rice suck. Houston and TCU would probably elevate their game and fan support if they were in a power conference.

BIG_IKE
11/1/2006, 04:33 PM
Hmmm...in the last year TCU or Houston has beat...

Baylor
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Iowa State
Oklahoma State

...just sayin...

The games would be fun because Geographically, every school is within driving distance to one another and teams would be able to travel excellent on the road.

I would literally be able to DRIVE to every Sooner conference game. Plus these schools would be fiercely fighting for Texas recruits, which would up the level of talent across the conference.
SMU and Rice type teams would be able to recruit guys they normally wouldnt which wiould make the conference as a whole be better.

Jdog
11/1/2006, 05:57 PM
We would lose Denver and St. Louis,

but we would add NEw Orleans-Baton Rouge, Houston, and Dallas- Fort Worth.

Houston and Dallas each have larger markets than Denver and St. Louis combined.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying? - The Big 12 already has the DFW and Houston markets ----- and I think New Orleans is now smaller than OKC.