PDA

View Full Version : Jevan Snead to transfer from Texas

OU_PhD
10/31/2006, 08:53 PM
Hey guys, thought some of you might find this interesting:

http://www.kdbc.com/news/sports/4525086.html:texan:

OUMallen
10/31/2006, 08:55 PM
I know a good school not far from Texas that needs a QB.

goingoneight
10/31/2006, 09:08 PM
Go Patterson!!! You would think a highly-touted, supposed to be Vince Young successor would get maybe some better offers... but I dunno... :confused:

I hope he's not considering OU, cuz the guy comes off as clueless and Bomar-ish, meaning he tries to make things happen on the field that he can't make happen. He could always play free-saftey at Aggy Lite...

Scott D
10/31/2006, 09:10 PM
speculation is just that...speculation.

goingoneight
10/31/2006, 09:16 PM
Keep Zits McPicks, Mack... we want Brantley!!! :D

KYHonorarySooner
10/31/2006, 09:19 PM

Amen. We've got no room for a whorn.

SicEmBaylor
10/31/2006, 09:25 PM
I know a good school not far from UT that needs a QB.

You sir are correct, but you really think we can get him to come to Waco?

westcoast_sooner
10/31/2006, 10:30 PM

That would be OK with me. If I understand the rule correctly, a transfer to another conference school means that he has to sit out two years. By that time, Guy Morriss is gone, he'd be on his 3rd OC/QB coach/offensive system by then.

southern sooner
10/31/2006, 10:38 PM
this kid will be a stud, why is he looking at the bottom feeder schools, why not a powerhouse... I wouldn't mind seeing him in Norman, however, if not the big 12 he could play at 2 florida schools pretty fast i would think.

royalfan5
10/31/2006, 10:49 PM
What about Kinne?

SicEmBaylor
10/31/2006, 10:51 PM
What about Kinne?
I was kidding. Kinne is going to be great. He's graduating early, so he'll be here in the spring.

stoopified
10/31/2006, 10:52 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

william_brasky
10/31/2006, 11:42 PM
He'd be stupid to stay.

Kragthorpe oughta go put out some feelers.

westcoast_sooner
11/1/2006, 12:04 AM
Seriously, if Snead does transfer, does it help or hurt our chances of getting Brantley. I say it hurts our chances.

And what possible purpose is there in announcing this kind of thing now? Seems to me his team is trying to get into the BCS. This seems like a huge distraction from that goal, IMO. Anyone know about Snead and if he's a prima donna?

Widescreen
11/1/2006, 01:03 AM
That really does sound like Deano-style reporting. However, that doesn't mean it won't happen. I can't imagine he's going to ride the pine for 4 years.

Fraggle145
11/1/2006, 01:11 AM

any new news on this kid?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/1/2006, 01:29 AM
FWIW, Snead and Tebow(who went to U Fla.) were the two best performing QB's in the US Army HS all-star game in San Antonio this past year. He's a small-town kid like McCoy. Can't figure why he would want to sit out 2 yrs. somewhere.

King Crimson
11/1/2006, 01:44 AM
i don't see him transferring in conference. that's just crazy. if he wants to play in Texas and such....TCU is not a bad choice at all. It's not like you can't make the NFL from TCU.....Ladanian Thompson seems to be doing OK. not saying Snead is that good, but he may think he is. who knows? maybe he is.

william_brasky
11/1/2006, 01:54 AM
not saying Snead is that good, but he may think he is.

according to Rivals, he thinks he's pretty good.

Here's some Snead on Snead

I've got great awareness, arm strength and pocket presence. I'm also good at anticipating and reading defenses.

It's a shame he forgot to mention how he's the best in the world at being modest and stuff. This guy might be RBs clone.

the_edge
11/1/2006, 02:27 AM
As if Mack would grant his transfer request if he wanted to come to OU.

AustinTXHorn
11/1/2006, 02:34 AM
Snead is probably going to transfer eventually. But two things here...

No way in hell some El Paso station breaks Longhorn news before anybody in Austin, DFW or Houston does. And they didn't even spell "gauging" correctly on their breaking news report.

Snead definitely isn't going anywhere in the conference. I think UTEP would be a great fit for him.

King Crimson
11/1/2006, 02:39 AM
Snead is probably going to transfer eventually. But two things here...

No way in hell some El Paso station breaks Longhorn news before anybody in Austin, DFW or Houston does. And they didn't even spell "gauging" correctly on their breaking news report.

Snead definitely isn't going anywhere in the conference. I think UTEP would be a great fit for him.

i'm stunned myself. since most kids go to Texas for those academics. so' i've heard. UT is like Oxford, Cambridge, and Harvard cubed like a thousand times.

Fraggle145
11/1/2006, 03:09 AM
he can go to sam houston and beat out Bomar...

KingDavid
11/1/2006, 09:35 AM
Hey guys, thought some of you might find this interesting:

http://www.kdbc.com/news/sports/4525086.html:texan:

I speculate the leak coming from within the whorn circles who are trying to hold on to Brantley's commitment.

If Snead transfers, Texas will have a true freshman backing up next year . . . which I would love to see.

TexasLidig8r
11/1/2006, 10:05 AM
any new news on this kid?

The latest news from Florida..

http://www.floridafb.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11200&ATCLID=654490

Or.. this article...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA102406.7D.fbh.brantley.2c3da51.html

100% committed to Texas. In another article, he and his father said they have no plans to even visit Norman.

Widescreen
11/1/2006, 10:24 AM
The Sooners have been more difficult to rebuff. John III used to sell OU coach Bob Stoops insurance during his stint as a Florida assistant. Stoops also was one of the first to offer John a scholarship when he began turning heads as a freshman.

"I've tried to keep people away from John as much as I can," he said. "But Stoops was a client of mine, so I'll extend him the courtesy."

In contrast to Texas, Brantley would have a virtually uncontested shot at the starting job in Norman — a major reason rumors persist he'll eventually end up in crimson instead of burnt orange.

"He can go out there and start right away," his father said.

But even with the lure of guaranteed playing time, the younger Brantley said you shouldn't believe all you read on Internet message boards.

"There are lots of rumors flying around about me and OU, but none of them are true," said Brantley, who has thrown for 1,789 yards and 32 touchdowns in nine games this season.

"I'm still going to Texas."

We'll see. I suppose in a couple of months we'll know how much is "professional courtesy" and how much is real interest. Having some time to think about having to hold a clipboard for a few years may be a bit too much for the young man. I don't know anything about the kid so I don't care too much but I know if I was looking for a college to go to, going to a college with a high performing freshman would make me think things over.

KingDavid
11/1/2006, 10:50 AM

Or.. this article...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA102406.7D.fbh.brantley.2c3da51.html

100% committed to Texas. In another article, he and his father said they have no plans to even visit Norman.

Looks good for Texas . . . but it ain't over until the ink is on the paper. Long time between now and Feb.

caphorns
11/1/2006, 11:10 AM
I believe that this report is legitimate and he'd be crazy to accept a backup role for his entire 4 years. Brantley is a different story. With his first year as a redshirt, he'd have 2 years without Colt. Mack has made perfectly clear that he will sign transfers in these situations. I'm sure Jevan would not go in-conference, so I expect the rumors to be accurate as to his options - UH, TCU and UTEP. If I had to bet, UH would be his best opportunity with former Stephenville HC Art Briles in charge.

KC//CRIMSON
11/1/2006, 11:21 AM
I believe that this report is legitimate and he'd be crazy to accept a backup role for his entire 4 years. Brantley is a different story. With his first year as a redshirt, he'd have 2 years without Colt. Mack has made perfectly clear that he will sign transfers in these situations. I'm sure Jevan would not go in-conference, so I expect the rumors to be accurate as to his options - UH, TCU and UTEP. If I had to bet, UH would be his best opportunity with former Stephenville HC Art Briles in charge.

Why any "supposed" stud QB would want to ride the pine for three years is beyond me.:mack:

caphorns
11/1/2006, 11:31 AM
KC - He sits behind a healthy Colt for 2 years KC - and that assumes that Colt is healthy all 4 years and that he remains effective with a less experienced group of lineman. That's really not very unusual. His option with OU would be throwing him to the wolves the first year and seeing if he can stick. Call it the Bomar plan. He'd have no time to develop into the role. From what I read, he really wants the time to develop in. If he goes to OU and redshirts then he possibly will lose years to Bradford or Hazle anyway.

I'm sure he'd get mop up duty and maybe a save or two the year after he redshirts.

sooneron
11/1/2006, 12:33 PM
How is it a Bomar plan when he was a redshirt in 04?

snp
11/1/2006, 12:43 PM
Snead could be a great fit in the UH system. I wonder if Cougar High will embrace a UT QB.

Why any "supposed" stud QB would want to ride the pine for three years is beyond me.:mack:

He's already stated he doesn't want to start his freshman year and would like to RS. Seems like a kid that wouldn't mind sitting another year. It's not like Texas won't be blowing out opponents, so he'll get his mopup duty.

We're not getting Brantley.

mrowl
11/1/2006, 01:04 PM
Snead could be a great fit in the UH system. I wonder if Cougar High will embrace a UT QB.

He's already stated he doesn't want to start his freshman year and would like to RS. Seems like a kid that wouldn't mind sitting another year. It's not like Texas won't be blowing out opponents, so he'll get his mopup duty.

We're not getting Brantley.

agree. People need to also remember that Bomar would have been gone a year earlier than McCoy. So there is a different reason he picked texas.

BIG_IKE
11/1/2006, 01:13 PM

Vince only really started for 2 seasons. He redshirted one and played back up in the other.
But hey, I hope Colt does great so that we can get JOHN CHILES.

He is the real deal, and he is faster than Vince, and WANTS to play QB...Bob, are you reading this? Please go to Mansfield Texas and work some mojo.

sooneron
11/1/2006, 01:17 PM
I think Brantley sticks with his verbal and Snead goes to tcu or uh.

TexasLidig8r
11/1/2006, 01:51 PM

How long did Leinart ride the pine behind Carson Palmer?

Then.. John David Booty?

Then.. their redshirt freshman.. Mark Sanchez will probably sit the remainder of this year.. and next year before he gets his chance.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/1/2006, 01:58 PM
Is that you, Tommy Grady?

No disrespect meant... but c'mon. Why do we ever get all bunched up about (non-)news like this?

Texas has found their QB.

This year we found OUr QB, and I am pretty confident we will next year as well.

I hope the kid makes a decision that makes him happy... and best wishes to him.

...and that is all I have to say about that...

goingoneight
11/1/2006, 09:00 PM
Well rumors on recruiting is Brantley's "situation" which is a coin toss, Garcia is being followed up on by Heupel, and some other kid in :texan: that Bob has been watching his HS games weekly.

I say we hit up one of Chris Weinke's grandkids or somehting in the MLB. :D

umberto
11/1/2006, 09:33 PM
That would be OK with me. If I understand the rule correctly, a transfer to another conference school means that he has to sit out two years. By that time, Guy Morriss is gone, he'd be on his 3rd OC/QB coach/offensive system by then.

Could he not go JUCO and avoid the two year sit out? That way he would have three years left. Can someone please clarify the rule?

utex74
11/1/2006, 09:56 PM

So far, Brantley is still coming to Austin. Stoops was at his game in Florida with his father the night before your game with Middle Tenn but Brantley has said he wants to redshirt and that is not in the cards going to OU.

I think Snead will transfer and either Chiles or Brantley, both 5 star recruits, will transfer eventually. Maybe Harris, too. These days a school just cannot expect to keep five highly ranked quarterbacks hanging around. Strange how it works. Last year we had no one if Vince left and now we have too many.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/1/2006, 10:52 PM
How's this for irony: The Snead-McCoy situation is eeringly similar to the situation at Tennessee back in '94 when a pair of freshmen were vying for the starting QB job. In the season opener against UCLA, after trying two QBs (one of whom was future MLB All-Star Todd Helton), Phil Fulmer decides to throw one of those freshmen into the fray. Some hotshot by the name of Peyton Manning. Now you know the rest of the story.
Not quite. The other freshman who suddenly saw the writing on the wall was Branndon Stewart. Ended up transferring to Texas A&M, where he helped the Ags upset K-State in the '98 Big XII title game.
Now here's the rest of the story. Both Stewart and Snead hail from the same hometown: Stephenville, Texas. Moral of the story. If there's two freshmen vying for the starting QB job at a major university and one of them is from Stephenville, then bet on the other guy.

KC//CRIMSON
11/2/2006, 10:34 PM
KC - He sits behind a healthy Colt for 2 years KC - and that assumes that Colt is healthy all 4 years and that he remains effective with a less experienced group of lineman. That's really not very unusual. His option with OU would be throwing him to the wolves the first year and seeing if he can stick. Call it the Bomar plan. He'd have no time to develop into the role. From what I read, he really wants the time to develop in. If he goes to OU and redshirts then he possibly will lose years to Bradford or Hazle anyway.

I'm sure he'd get mop up duty and maybe a save or two the year after he redshirts.

All I'm saying is you're the number two QB in the country and you're willing to go to college for five years and only play for two? If it were me, I would be going to where ever I could play the most. That doesn't necessarily mean OU either. Surely some upper caliber D-1 school could use a "supposed" good QB?

utex74
11/2/2006, 10:47 PM
I speculate the leak coming from within the whorn circles who are trying to hold on to Brantley's commitment.

If Snead transfers, Texas will have a true freshman backing up next year . . . which I would love to see.

Sherrod Harris will be back as a redshirt freshman.

goingoneight
11/2/2006, 11:18 PM
i don't see him transferring in conference. that's just crazy. if he wants to play in Texas and such....TCU is not a bad choice at all. It's not like you can't make the NFL from TCU.....Ladanian Thompson seems to be doing OK. not saying Snead is that good, but he may think he is. who knows? maybe he is.

Do you think Paul Tomlinson will go to the NFL??? :confused: :D

goingoneight
11/2/2006, 11:21 PM
I think Brantley sticks with his verbal and Snead goes to tcu or uh.

or, uh... where??? :D

OK2LA
12/20/2006, 09:16 PM

Or.. this article...

Just thought about this quote when I heard the news about Brantley . . .

Lid was right - they had no plans to even visit Norman.

"100% committed to texas . . . " :pop: