PDA

View Full Version : 4 straight possessions

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2006, 08:41 PM
the pass around the perimeter - shoot a 3 offense is alive and well...

sanantoniosooner
10/31/2006, 08:45 PM
well it was good having your support while it lasted :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2006, 08:46 PM
that was different - a fast break after a made layup

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2006, 08:47 PM
18 minutes about 18 3s

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2006, 08:48 PM
they look better than they did last year. still giving up too many layups though.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2006, 08:49 PM
that was a sweet block by AJ. of course, he's still battling an ankle injury :rolleyes:

OUstud
10/31/2006, 10:04 PM
Meh. Don't read too much into this. Wait at least until November 10.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2006, 10:06 PM
only 6 TOs in the entire game vs 19 assists is pretty studly. we play more like a mid-major team with our bigs able to shoot 3s. should be interesting especially if longar can continue to put up double digits all season long...

setem
10/31/2006, 10:14 PM
TIME FOR THE BIG DANCE!!!!

I went to middle school with Godbold, he saw me poke a guy's eye out in a fight in gym class...THAT IS HOW WE ROLL AT THE CLASSEN SAS!

Ruuuuuufus
10/31/2006, 10:21 PM
just back from the game.

Longar has made some progression but still is pretty weak with the ball in his hands imo. We did well taking care of the ball and I think only had 1 turnover the 2nd half. Johnson and Maze did well at the point. The new motion offense has alot of potential.

I thought Crocker played extremely well, especially on defense. Godbold gave some quality minutes as well and had alot of rebounds. Keith Clark looked lazy and took alot of plays off. I don't think I saw him block out on defense once the entire night. On the offensive end he did ok... he sure shot alot of 3s. Looked to me like he should work on some free throws before backing up to the 3 point line. I sat by some football players who couldn't stop laughing every time he threw one up. Griffin was solid as usual. He also showed some skill driving the ball into the lane, which I think we need more of.

Sooner_75
10/31/2006, 10:37 PM
After watching the game:
I think Keith Clark is going to be great.
Tony Crocker could be great.
We are going to struggle against teams with a good inside game.
Taylor Griffin is solid and seems to be a leader.
Michael Neal will need the inside game to free him up from the outside.
Austin Johnson hit some threes.

I think I would like to play for a coach like Jeff Capel so I think the team chemistry should be good. I hope this translates to a team that could potentially overachieve.

OUstud
10/31/2006, 10:41 PM
How was the crowd?

stoopified
10/31/2006, 10:43 PM
Well there are certainly some contrasting viewpoints on this game.Can't wait to get my first look at them.Good luck to Jeff and the gang.

Sooner_75
10/31/2006, 10:44 PM
Awful. I don't think there were more then 3,000 in the stands.

birddog
10/31/2006, 11:52 PM
final?

King Crimson
10/31/2006, 11:57 PM
exhibition or no: 6-14 from the stripe has to get a lot better.

chbrew09
11/1/2006, 12:52 AM
estimated attendance: 4100

Rhino
11/1/2006, 01:52 AM
Just copied some of my thoughts from my post on the dork board:

It was a good exhibition game. Saw good and bad things.

Whoever was talking the other day about Capel letting his assistants coach much more than Sampson's is absolutely correct. The whole coaching staff was coaching throughout the game.

We rebounded okay, but Moose and L2 have GOT to get their bodies in there and start blocking out. We're moving the ball around quite a bit and there's a lot of motion going into our offense, which is very exciting to see.

Transition defense has got to improve. We let them get behind us too much and didn't hustle back a few times.

L2 looked about how I thought he would. Still not a primetime player, but good for some minutes. He's going to be abused in Big XII play. Still, he turned his opportunities into points even if it was against inferior, smaller competition.

Griffin and Neal played well - nothing spectacular, but I have a feeling they weren't going at it full speed during exhibition. Godbold played very well. He'll be a big contributor this season. AJ looked better than I expected. Played good D and ran the point well.

Crocker is the sparkplug we need off the bench. Incredible athlete and very high energy.

Maze is out of control right now. Forced the shots he took and was running around like crazy on defense - sometimes to his detriment.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE
Moose looked good for his first game. He had a couple shots blocked early and I think it helped wake him up a bit. After that, he started charging the hoop a little more. Knows his way around on the offensive side of the ball - very lost on the defensive side of the ball. Needs to block out and get his hands on some rebounds. His two boards came late and I was afraid he was about to go ofer for the game. With some game experience, I think you'll see him turn into a solid player by midseason. Still has a smidge of loafer in him, but it's MUCH less than what I saw last year at PCO. Capel noticed when he was loafing once and made sure Moose knew about it - didn't see much loafing after that. Saw him asking one of the assistants for some help on what to do on a certain play, which was good to see him take the initiative in asking for help.

I think we're going to really, really enjoy Capel's presence in our program. Everything tonight seemed loose, but productive. When L2 threw away a fast-break pass that landed near Capel, he grabbed the ball and acted like he was about to shoot it. It might have seemed like nothing, but it added a lighthearted moment where you might normally see a coach chewing out a player.

We spread the ball around a lot and kept things moving well. There won't be a star on this team, but I think everyone will be happy to see a team of young, but solid players.

william_brasky
11/1/2006, 02:09 AM

that is part of every basketball team's repertoire you know.

getting ball movement and taking an open shot is a good thing.

now if players are just standing around like the KS days, you'll hear brasky a bitchin'.

Frozen Sooner
11/1/2006, 02:09 AM
I like that story about Capel and Longar. For whatever reason, Longar doesn't seem to respond well to hard-nosed coaching-it made him scared to make mistakes. Capel may be trying to bring him out of his shell.

Before I proclaim L2 the second coming, I'm going to want to see him play against a team of guys who can actually make a D-1 roster. I remember his 30-point game all to well. But I'm glad that he's showing progress. Met theguy up here once. Really nice guy who stood around to let me take a picture with him.

King Crimson
11/1/2006, 02:18 AM
my hope for Capel's Sooners is he lets guys play a little. to Mike's point about Longar, the guy was terrified on the floor with Kelvin's hook.

i'm going to say it again. we were 6-14 from the stripe. LL was the high % guy at 3-5. that ****ing sucks, 6-14. it doesn't matter who you are playing, FT's are the same. i'm out of shape, and 36 years old, and i shoot 85% routinely today and was a very average high school player. dont' tell me it can't be done.

Frozen Sooner
11/1/2006, 02:24 AM
Yeah, I know L2 was scared under the previous coach.

Those FT numbers are pretty awful. Then again, our bangers are youngsters, so low FT is somewhat expected. They should be better than they are, for sure, but when your post guys are a dude who's never shot better than 60% for a season, a freshman, and a sophomore some line struggles are just going to happen.

william_brasky
11/1/2006, 02:33 AM
the FT% will improve. It's always an adjustment early in the season. You're playing full speed, you stop, you shoot free throws in front of a crowd (albeit a sparse one tonight). We'll be fine.

I am concerned with only getting to the line 14 times. I'd like that to be double. Griff needs to go around 10 times a game himself.

King Crimson
11/1/2006, 03:13 AM
you could be right brasky, but who can't improve on 42%? you don't shoot 70% as a team, you are going to lose games because of it. this is a small ball team full of guards and Longar is stoking it at 60%......

birddog
11/1/2006, 08:50 AM
final?

why, that would be 79-51 birddog.

OU4LIFE
11/1/2006, 08:52 AM
Really nice guy who stood around to let me take a picture with him.

Must be a heck of a guy, I sure wouldn't do that for you. ;)

sanantoniosooner
11/1/2006, 09:31 AM
why, that would be 79-51 birddog.
glad to see you got your back;)

Jeopardude
11/1/2006, 02:25 PM
I like that story about Capel and Longar. For whatever reason, Longar doesn't seem to respond well to hard-nosed coaching-it made him scared to make mistakes. Capel may be trying to bring him out of his shell.

Before I proclaim L2 the second coming, I'm going to want to see him play against a team of guys who can actually make a D-1 roster. I remember his 30-point game all to well. But I'm glad that he's showing progress. Met theguy up here once. Really nice guy who stood around to let me take a picture with him.

That's the best assessment of L2 I've seen. And it seemed Sampson was extra rough with him, making him even more timid.