PDA

View Full Version : The next big-time coaching job . . .

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 07:09 PM
. . . is going to be when Coker gets canned. Who replaces him? I have no clue - don't know that area very well. Seems to me that Chizik and Spurrier might make the list.

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 07:10 PM
I'll bet they look for a professional coach like Carroll, Weis, etc.

snp
10/31/2006, 07:11 PM
Butch Davis.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/31/2006, 07:11 PM
. . . is going to be when Coker gets canned. Who replaces him? I have no clue - don't know that area very well. Seems to me that Chizik and Spurrier might make the list.
I can't see Spurrier going to the "U." He's more of an SEC guy, anyway.
I don't see Chizik getting it either. He's exactly like Coker, in that he had no head coaching experience when he was hired. Although Coker won the national title his first year, but it was with Butch Davis' players.
On that note, don't be surprised to see Davis' name surface. He might be linked with the UNC job, too. I also think Greg Schiano, the Rutgers coach and a former UM assistant, is at the top of the list as well.

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 07:12 PM
Butch Davis.

Seriously?

birddog
10/31/2006, 07:12 PM
greg schiano from rutgers coached there for a while.

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 07:13 PM
I can't see Spurrier going to the "U." He's more of an SEC guy, anyway.
I don't see Chizik getting it either. He's exactly like Coker, in that he had no head coaching experience when he was hired. Although Coker won the national title his first year, but it was with Butch Davis' players.
On that note, don't be surprised to see Davis' name surface. He might be linked with the UNC job, too. I also think Greg Schiano, the Rutgers coach and a former UM assistant, is at the top of the list as well.

The Rutgers coach has definitely earned himself a nice job somewhere, for sure. Good call.

sooner518
10/31/2006, 07:38 PM
i cant imagine any amount of money in the world would persuade Carroll or Weis to walk away from what they have and take on the Miami nightmare

RedstickSooner
10/31/2006, 07:45 PM
I don't see Chizik getting it either. He's exactly like Coker, in that he had no head coaching experience when he was hired.

True, but he's also exactly *unlike* Coker, in that he's got a national reputation as a coaching wiz. Whether he deserves it or not, the media fawns over Chizik, and in football perception is at least 50% of reality. Prolly a good bit more.

Coker was a decent OC at Miami, beloved by his players -- who lobbied hard for his being hired.

Doesn't mean you're not right -- could be the powers-that-be at Thug U are determined not to hire anyone who hasn't already proven himself as a head coach.

Rogue
10/31/2006, 07:59 PM
Chizik or David Cutcliffe.

goingoneight
10/31/2006, 08:04 PM
:les: Pick me!!! Pick me!! I can win with criminals!!! Look at my resume!!!

OU-HSV
10/31/2006, 08:59 PM
Would they consider throwing Kragthorpe in there at thug U??

BudSooner
10/31/2006, 09:01 PM
The name I keep hearing is Davis, no way Spurrier goes to the ACC.
Although another name that is out there is Gary Barnett but i'm not sure he's ready to jump back into the fray...and at a school with a reputation like Miami.
Kragthorpe ain't going anywhere.

KYHonorarySooner
10/31/2006, 09:33 PM
Although another name that is out there is Gary Barnett but i'm not sure he's ready to jump back into the fray...and at a school with a reputation like Miami.

Yeah, I don't believe Spurrier goes to the ACC. At this point he is more of an SEC guy. However, don't forget he has coached in the ACC, his first job (if you can call it that) was at Duke (Puke for any Kentuckians) and he took them to an ACC title the year before he moved on to his alma mater Florida. So there is a history lesson for anyone that is interested. No to Barnett, I hope no for Krag's sake, although I have heard Butch Davis it would just be really weird. Perhaps, the Rutgers coach is the best bet at this point. How bout Mike Price?

I say if it ends up being ole Butch the rest of the country better look out...

royalfan5
10/31/2006, 10:02 PM
Spurrier won't leave for Miami because they don't play Florida every year like South Carolina does, and Miami doesn't have the fans and facilities the South Carolina does. I think Steve wants to play and beat Florida every year to prove a point to Jeremy Foley about telling him he has to interview for his old job.

OUstud
10/31/2006, 10:06 PM
Ooh, Barnett+Miami=fun!

westcoast_sooner
10/31/2006, 10:34 PM

Yeah. Great idea. Put Barnett at a school with the tradition of thuggery. Like he hasn't done that before.

hurricane'bone
10/31/2006, 10:56 PM
Would they consider throwing Kragthorpe in there at thug U??

He wouldn't go

Ruuuuuufus
10/31/2006, 11:12 PM
Randy Shannon

stoopified
11/1/2006, 12:01 AM
Chizik or David Cutcliffe.
Cutcliffe DID Squat at Ole Miss,why would UM want him?

Sooner_Havok
11/1/2006, 12:17 AM
Perhaps they could get Jim Fassel.

Octavian
11/1/2006, 12:41 AM
"Anytime any coaches on our staff or myself get mentioned [for a job], it's very flattering," Rodriguez said. "It's not something I've ever viewed as a distraction.

"I've always said [West Virginia] is a great place to coach. You take this job as if it's the last job you'll ever have, and I think I've always taken that approach and I'm taking it now.

"I don't think you ever say never to something, particularly right now."

"After the season I'm sure I'll sit down with our people here and discuss, with my family, if anything is interesting at that point."

...and he's just talking about the North Carolina job (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2643771).

KingDavid
11/1/2006, 10:12 AM
i cant imagine any amount of money in the world would persuade Carroll or Weis to walk away from what they have and take on the Miami nightmare

I was meaning that they would look for someone LIKE Weiss or Carroll (not actually one of them). . . someone from the professional ranks.

royalfan5
11/1/2006, 10:33 AM
I was meaning that they would look for someone LIKE Weiss or Carroll (not actually one of them). . . someone from the professional ranks.
Denny Green would be perfect for that job. Imagine the possibilities.

KingDavid
11/1/2006, 10:53 AM
Denny Green would be perfect for that job. Imagine the possibilities.

There you go. That's exactly what I was talking about . . . spek.

BudSooner
11/1/2006, 11:27 AM
There you go. That's exactly what I was talking about . . . spek.

You know, that is probably a perfect fit and from the talk of his getting canned at seasons end why not?
Chiz would be another, but I have a hard time seeing the UT folks letting him get away.
What about Fran?
what would it take to lure Solich away from his post?

And a nightmare for you, Leach?:eek:

sooneron
11/1/2006, 12:42 PM
Why does Steve Mariucci keep jumping into my head?

royalfan5
11/1/2006, 01:30 PM
Why does Steve Mariucci keep jumping into my head?
He'll be the head coach at Michigan State. John L. is toast, and Mariucci's best friend is Tom Izzo, and he is from Michigan. It's been rumored to happen for a long time, and this will be the year it does.

OU-HSV
11/1/2006, 08:50 PM
So Krag probably wouldn't be offered nor take the Miami job...but you don't think he's going anywhere at all??

King Crimson
11/1/2006, 09:02 PM
schiano is the best bet.

KingDavid
11/1/2006, 09:11 PM
It's going to be someone with professional head coaching (or coordinator, maybe) experience . . . like Denny Green or Mike Mularkey or somebody like that. Bet the house.

goingoneight
11/1/2006, 09:13 PM
I hear Nebraska has a super-great Defensive Line Coach/Recruiting Coordinator who is ripe for the Miami picking... :D

AllAboutThe'O'
11/1/2006, 10:39 PM
I hear Nebraska has a super-great Defensive Line Coach/Recruiting Coordinator who is ripe for the Miami picking... :D
There's another ex-OU coach that can just mosey on down the road from Florida Atlantic, who is still revered by the UM faithful. They'll even tolerate his tendency to imbibe in the bourbon every now and then.

westcoast_sooner
11/1/2006, 11:17 PM
He'll be the head coach at Michigan State. John L. is toast, and Mariucci's best friend is Tom Izzo, and he is from Michigan. It's been rumored to happen for a long time, and this will be the year it does.

I think that would be a good fit for him. When he was coach of the Niners, I got to meet him once, he went to my church. I always liked Mooch, felt he got a raw deal out here. The Niners are terrible anyway. Their owner is a JOKE.

Anyway, John L IS toast regardless of that one big comeback - the other debacles overshadow that.

snp
11/2/2006, 12:45 AM
Seriously?

Yup. I think it's their best bet. He's already turned that program around once. Schiano would be great, but he's becoming a God up in New Jersey and will probably continue to improve.

How's this for the disarray of Miami:

The HC job for Rutgers is more attractive than HC for Miami.

Also, Schiano has only had one good year. Might be a little risky taking an unproven coach at a school in a tailspin.

BASSooner
11/2/2006, 02:17 AM
Spurrier and Chizik are both no-gos for miami. I would say the best bet would be Butch Davis, the Rutgers HC, or I think Rich Rodriguez could be the best candidate for the spot.

Harry Beanbag
11/2/2006, 06:37 AM
Nick Saban

BudSooner
11/2/2006, 12:03 PM
Why not John Blake? ;)

soonerboy_odanorth
11/2/2006, 02:21 PM
Gimme an "R"

Gimme an "I"

Gimme an "C"

Gimme an "K"

Gimme an "N"

Gimme an "E"

Gimme an "U"

Gimme an "H"

Gimme an "E"

Gimme an "I"

Gimme an "S"

Gimme an "E"

Gimme an "L"

What's that spell!?!?

The Weasel is BACK, baby!

OSUAggie
11/2/2006, 02:24 PM
is Miami even a good job?

BASSooner
11/2/2006, 02:36 PM
Nick Saban
maybe in the next dimension

mdklatt
11/2/2006, 03:50 PM

Miami is at best a lateral move from USC and Notre Dame, or were you just giving those two as examples?

mdklatt
11/2/2006, 03:51 PM
David Cutcliffe

But he got run out of town at Ole Miss.

JohnnyMack
11/2/2006, 03:57 PM
Assistant Coaches who they should consider:

Chizik
Cutcliffe

Head Coaches who they should consider:

Rodriguez
Schiano

Then they'll **** it up and hire Butch Davis.

JohnnyMack
11/2/2006, 03:58 PM
But he got run out of town at Ole Miss.

Which is bizarre because he did a good job there. He had a decent record and is very good at developing QB's.