PDA

View Full Version : atm - running game / offense

southern sooner
10/31/2006, 05:13 PM
Not real worried about their receivers as I am wit hthe qm running skills and the pounding type of runner that Lane is. How do you guys think we are able to deffend them? Do you think we can stop (minimize) Lane????

King Crimson
10/31/2006, 05:21 PM
be the first non one-dimensional attack we've seen in a while (ISU, CU, MU). i think it will be a close game.

i'd like to think McGee's success on the option against us late was a lack of preparation (obviously), since Reggie McNeil was the guy. Martellus Bennet has played pretty well for them. i think we have our hands full, since they are playing the game to prove they deserve to be 7-1 or whatever.

the proverbial "season-making" game at Kyle seems bad news to me. i don't think they can beat UT in Austin (and i don't think they do either)....so this is the big one for them in South.

and i don't think we'll push them around like we did Mizzou if we try and run it 40 times.

Rhino
10/31/2006, 05:22 PM
OSU held Lane to 25 yards and their defense is crappy against the run.

Outside of the Missouri and Army games, Lane only averages 10 carries a game.

He's effective, no doubt. But it isn't like he's unstoppable or puts up eye-popping numbers.

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 05:27 PM
Watch for a lot of gap-shooting slants and pinches from the DL, with a healthy package of run blitzes. The way to beat Lane is to either stop up the middle and let the LB's scrape the edges (i.e. make him go sideways and cut him down at the knees), or preferably to hit him before he gets any steam by shooting gaps and penetrating into the backfield. It's like playing goal-line or short-yardage D.

I think this could be a game where Granger could really have an impact as the type of DL that can play both a two-gap "plug" and a one-gap "shooter." The other linemen don't have his versatility in the trenches.

Blues1
10/31/2006, 05:32 PM
IF we can KEEP the ball as long as we did vs Mizzou we should have NO Problem.......But a&m probably won't give the ball up as much as Mizzou did...

It's time for Defense to play it's BEST game, and hopefully the Sooner offense is on it's next level with timing and play calling..(even without AD)

PT & AP get Rockin

OU 24 - a&m 9

stoops the eternal pimp
10/31/2006, 05:54 PM
Lane is Toombs all over....big back that wont carry the ball that much...

Harry Beanbag
10/31/2006, 06:14 PM
I'm a little worried about this:

http://www.utexasclan.com/images/squeeze.gif

stoops the eternal pimp
10/31/2006, 06:17 PM
is that the mechanics or the agricultural uniform

goingoneight
10/31/2006, 08:17 PM
In Norman, I like what I see, but I don't like the idea of loud, towel-waving rocking crowds of fans if the game comes down to say, a FG... However, I think this is the game where PT's calm edge shows it's greatest advantage. Jason White and Josh Heupel were both extremely calm under pressure, and though it was narrow, both were able to manage the College Station environment. PT was sensational the way he handled himself and riled up the Ducks' defense in Eugene. The crowd doesn't hurt how you call plays, or how you tackle, or so forth, but it does tend to make QB's throw picks, Kickers to miss and receivers to drop passes. That's the only thing I see hurting us. You'll probably be able to tell early-on if we're able to hang or not. If we go under 50% in the passing game or start stumbling and fumbling, we're in for a long night. If the team utilizes the environment to fire them up, Aggy's in trouble.

This is the first time I am confident going into CS... I was nervous with Josh hurt in 2000, Hyble getting interceptionitis in 2002 and the shaky secondary in 2004, but all in all, we've done well there. I mean, we haven't lost BADLY there under Stoops, even though we HAVE lost one. I say it's a matter of play execution, if OUr guys aren't 'nervous-nervous' we'll be good.

BoomerSooner247
10/31/2006, 08:37 PM
is that the mechanics or the agricultural uniformneither its the clothing design uniform

southern sooner
10/31/2006, 10:41 PM
As long as our line doesnt jump offside on the 2 yard line then I would be happy (like they did in the oregon game). I do think it helps that PT has been there 4 times and knows what to expect....

BoomerSooner247
10/31/2006, 11:10 PM
As long as our line doesnt jump offside on the 2 yard line then I would be happy (like they did in the oregon game). I do think it helps that PT has been there 4 times and knows what to expect....i think we've learned since then... *knocks on wood*

StoopTroup
10/31/2006, 11:42 PM

Why do they wave their underwear in the air?

stoopified
11/1/2006, 12:27 AM

http://www.utexasclan.com/images/squeeze.gifI think this picture is proof that aTM is the nations leading military school......for gays.

rainiersooner
11/1/2006, 12:40 AM

I hope ESPN doesn't fire me for this, but my god that is gay.

Harry Beanbag
11/1/2006, 12:41 AM
Why do they wave their underwear in the air?

To air it out?

rainiersooner
11/1/2006, 12:42 AM
I think this picture is proof that aTM is the nations leading military school......for gays.

Shoot, you beat me to it. Although I think my post was funnier. ;)

BoomerSooner247
11/1/2006, 01:05 AM
I think this picture is proof that aTM is the nations leading military school......for gays.the question is whose gayer? the camera man or the gAy&M corps?

Texas Golfer
11/1/2006, 03:01 PM
I went to the Baylor/A&M game last weekend and it wasn't Lane that hurt Baylor. It was the same option that hurt us last year.

We need to be prepared for the option. My recommendation would be to insure McGee is our first option to take out. He keeps more than he pitches.

Aggie2theCorps
11/1/2006, 05:30 PM
golfer is right, Lane isn't the focus of this offense. He got so many yards against Missouri because they were susceptible to the inside run. Which is why you guys used to beat them. Now that Lewis is back healthy and carrying the ball we will end up with 4 500 yards rushers on this team.

I think the real key to this game will be our ability to get the ball to TE Martelus Bennett and WR Chad Shroeder. Neither are deep threats but if they can get key receptions to keep drives alive and maybe break a big one I think we can keep the safeties back off the line which will allow more room to run.

How ever you look at this game it will be close. Anybody predicting 30 points on either side is crazy.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/1/2006, 05:36 PM
How ever you look at this game it will be close. Anybody predicting 30 points on either side is crazy.

Puuuuuulease, ARMY put up 24 points on aTm.

Nice try...

Tulsa_Fireman
11/1/2006, 05:36 PM
Anybody predicting 30 points on either side is crazy.

Lookit me! I'm crazy point predicting man!

I say it's 99 billion to nothing, sheepboy!

Now gimme some candy!

[/badly translated impression]

EnemyNumberOne
11/1/2006, 09:07 PM
Puuuuuulease, ARMY put up 24 points on aTm.

Nice try...

Can somebody remind me of that UAB-OU score again? I know they led OU in Norman for most of the game and probably put up more yards, but don't remember the final score.

Thanks.

Salt City Sooner
11/1/2006, 09:48 PM
Can somebody remind me of that UAB-OU score again? I know they led OU in Norman for most of the game and probably put up more yards, but don't remember the final score.

Thanks.
If by "most of the game", you mean exactly one play, then you're correct.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/1/2006, 10:55 PM
Aggy talk aggy talk aggy talk aggy talk.

nice try again...

ichthusag
11/2/2006, 09:56 AM
be the first non one-dimensional attack we've seen in a while ...

"NON" - I see it.

BTHOOU

Texags
11/2/2006, 09:59 AM
huh? What's your definition of "one dimensional"?

There are 3 1A teams that average more than 200 ypg passing and rushing,
OU and A&M are two of them. (Louisville is the other.)

Actually, it is quite the opposite, your defense will not face a more multi-dimensional attack.

I do agree, it very well could be a close game.

You suck... he said that we are not one-dimensional, which is the same as saying that we are multi-dimensional.

Ash
11/2/2006, 10:03 AM

Thanks.

Wrong on all counts, skippy. Try again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=262450201

ichthusag
11/2/2006, 10:06 AM
You suck... he said that we are not one-dimensional, which is the same as saying that we are multi-dimensional.

You suck? nice.

sooneron
11/2/2006, 11:32 AM
You suck? nice.
Apparently, you do.:D

Mac94
11/2/2006, 11:55 AM
Lane will probably be used alot like he was last year in Norman, as a change up option.

Last year Lane had 8 carries for 48 yards (6 ypc) and 1 TD. That will probably be similar this year.

Here are a few reminders of Lane versus an Oklahoma defense:
http://agclips.com/images/football/2005/05ou/index.html

Ash
11/2/2006, 12:07 PM
Lane will probably be used alot like he was last year in Norman, as a change up option.

Last year Lane had 8 carries for 48 yards (6 ypc) and 1 TD. That will probably be similar this year.

Here are a few reminders of Lane versus an Oklahoma defense:
http://agclips.com/images/football/2005/05ou/index.html

If your numbers are right, that means Lane accounted for less than 20% of the fAggie ground attack. And he's fat, not big and intimidating.

Now why should we worry so much about him?

Mac94
11/2/2006, 12:24 PM
Ash -

He will get his carries but he isn't the beginning or end of our rushing attack ... just a change up to wear on a defense.

A&M has three RB's plus McGee that are good enouogh to run the ball. Courtney Lewis had 140+ yards against OU last year and Goodson is emerging for us this year. We have enough weapons to keep a defense from keying on one player.

As for Lane, he does bring some power. What the highlight of him blowing up a Sooner defender at the goalline.

Ash
11/2/2006, 12:26 PM
Ash -

blah blah blah
What the highlight of him blowing up a Sooner defender at the goalline.

I dunno, what the highlight?!?

Ash
11/2/2006, 12:27 PM
Guess you could say he knows how to throw his weight around?

<rimshot>

And what is it with those whacky Cadets? I mean, could they be any more ghey?

EnemyNumberOne
11/2/2006, 01:11 PM
Wrong on all counts, skippy. Try again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=262450201

Oops. Sorry guys. It's hell gettin' old.

So UAB led the game in the middle of the third quarter after it being tied most of the game and OU won it in the 4th with a score of 24 - 17. Also wrong on the yards. You guys did outgain the Blazers.

I know SMU crushed them 22 - 9 the other night and seem to remember Georgia shutting them out. Anybody know how the rest of UAB's season has gone?

Thanks.

sooneron
11/2/2006, 01:28 PM

So UAB led the game in the middle of the third quarter after it being tied most of the game and OU won it in the 4th with a score of 24 - 17. Also wrong on the yards. You guys did outgain the Blazers.

I know SMU crushed them 22 - 9 the other night and seem to remember Georgia shutting them out. Anybody know how the rest of UAB's season has gone?

Thanks.
I think their record is roughly the same as Army's.:rolleyes:

Octavian
11/2/2006, 01:39 PM
Our rushing defense really stepped up in October...we continue to look sharp in our assignment recognition and execution.

Our speed consistently hurt us in September (over-running plays) and it'll be interesting if Aggy tries to use a lot of misdirection to exploit that.

I'd be really surprised if they were able to just run option left/right all night long...

Putting McGee in 3rds-and-long will be the key.

man00
11/2/2006, 02:30 PM
A&M QB can hurt you, he is good and now starting to throw the ball pretty good. I look for the game to come down to the last drive with either team having a chance to win.

sooneron
11/2/2006, 02:31 PM
A&M QB can hurt you, he is good and now starting to throw the ball pretty good. I look for the game to come down to the last drive with either team having a chance to win.
Well, there's going out on a limb.:)

OSUAggie
11/2/2006, 03:43 PM
nm

Ash
11/2/2006, 03:59 PM

Thanks.

The funniest thing about this line of argument is: if we blow you guys out and/or never are tied or trail in the game - guess that means you suck worse than UAB.

:rolleyes:

shankag
11/2/2006, 04:24 PM
alirght il give this a shot.

The key to stopping our running attack is actually keying in on three things. If we are in a shotgun 2 back set, than have the tackles plug the middle and ends and linebackers containing if its a speed option. If its a one back set shottie set, make sure there is no wr motion, then cheat to the side of the back while the DT's continue to plug the middle. If it is an under center play, be ready for anything. I believe this is our most deadly formation as we can run up the gut, run the option to either side, run an option playaction, a up the gut PA, or just send the backs to block. The coaches have really not focussed on this set, and with oklahomas speed with ruuu and the line, they will probably try to break it out this week.

The one thing most people on this thread are overlooking is mcgees ability to throw. His comp % is much higher than any QB we have had in 10 or so years (since probably pullig who would go 7-10 a game as we always ran). He has gone over 200 in almost every game, and games he hasnt, we have run for 250 or more yards. The offense works now that they have the personel (mcgee, goodson, lane, riley, taylor, tellus) to run it.

The way i look at the game is this. Both teams, the fans, and the viewers at home will be fired up. A&M is going to try and key in on PT and hopefully get to him a time or two early, which mixed with the crowd, may turn into an int, fumble, or just plain miscue. OU will try to hit deep passes and routes over the top against our suspect secondary, while also taking advantage of our star DT being out with a lot of off tackle runs.

What will happen: A little of both. A&M will grind out for a few scores, hopefully early, and OU will hit a few big plays against the D, most likely long pass plays. The key to the win will be special teams play and turnovers. If the aggies continue to stay mistake free on offense, and can not drop, shank, or give up field position on punts, they can win. If OU capatalizes on the few mistakes the aggies could make, they will win. If games were decided on thursday, why would we play them. Hope yall have a safe trip, make it to a few tailgates, and have a great time living the aggie experience.

As for the mention of sheep, corps boys grabbing themselves, or aggy (which you have stolen from the sips much like baylor and tech have done). Seriously, come up with something original. You dont see us saying mobilhoma (except the few texagsers), blowU, or land theives. We both are premiere instituitions in our states. We both hate the horns. We both get tired of orange wearing people from our own states. We both have a shot at the title (though yall have to have texas lose two, while we just have to win out). We should actually be getting along.

MiccoMacey
11/2/2006, 04:49 PM
We both are premiere instituitions in our states. We both hate the horns. We both get tired of orange wearing people from our own states. We both have a shot at the title...We should actually be getting along.

Some of the best reasons to like A&M (except this week, of course).

Harry Beanbag
11/2/2006, 04:51 PM
You dont see us saying mobilhoma (except the few texagsers), blowU, or land theives.

Actually, you just did.