PDA

View Full Version : While in Vegas last week...

SoonerBK
10/31/2006, 04:35 PM
I tried some absynthe. It was like drinking black licorice. I did not care for it, but I am no means a heavy weight. I think if I had shot it, my heart would have stopped. I had to go back to bloody maries and mint juleps, and crown and coke, and corona. Has any one else tried this stuff?

Mongo
10/31/2006, 04:42 PM
I have read about this stuff. Aways wanted to try it. Doesnt it have hallucinagenic(?) properties? Isnt it illegal in the US?

SoonerBK
10/31/2006, 04:45 PM
I thought it was, but it was on the menu at a place we aere hanging out at. I would not say it was good.

Osce0la
10/31/2006, 04:48 PM
Did it make you put your elbow through a Picasso painting?

SoonerBK
10/31/2006, 04:53 PM
No but it made me feel like I had a permant orange afro, and like I dropped all my fingers at one point.

picasso
10/31/2006, 05:01 PM
hey, if you can drink Corona you should be able to stomach anything.;)

NormanPride
10/31/2006, 05:06 PM
Good Lord, that stuff is bad for you! It's made with wormwood, which is REALLY poisonous. All sorts of bad after-effects when you drink it. I'm glad you stopped there...

Jimminy Crimson
More than likely, it was Absente.

It isn't made with true wormwood, which contains the junk that makes you crazy. :cool:

Boomer.....
I thought that it was illegal in the US. It is supposed to make you hallucinate.

49r
10/31/2006, 05:12 PM
I have read about this stuff. Aways wanted to try it. Doesnt it have hallucinagenic(?) properties? Isnt it illegal in the US?

It probably wasn't the genuine stuff...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe#United_States

A faux-absinthe liquor called Absente, made with southern wormwood (Artemisia abrotanum) instead of regular wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), is sold legally in the United States and does not contain thujone.

LilSooner
10/31/2006, 05:30 PM
I have always wanted to try it. But I hate licorice with a passion. There is suppose to be some that is more mint and less licorice.

handcrafted
10/31/2006, 05:36 PM
For those of you who want to taste it without running the risk, try a little Pernod. This stuff:

http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produkte/bitter/details/pernod_gr.jpg

It's essentially absinthe without the wormwood oil, and is quite legal. In Nawlins they use it to make Sazeracs (which are like Old-fashioneds except with a Pernod-coated glass kinda like a dry martini/manhattan).

Real absinthe is illegal to sell in the USA because, well, it causes dain bramage. :D You can still buy the real thing overseas.

P.S. Except for being pretty stout proof-wise, it doesn't have any more effect than any other alcohol.

1stTimeCaller
10/31/2006, 06:17 PM
anyone know if real absinthe is legal to sell in the US?

TIA

Mjcpr
10/31/2006, 06:23 PM

TIA

Do you mean the real stuff?

whatsername
10/31/2006, 07:03 PM
Isn't absinthe the stuff that the blind guy in Carnivale drank? I always thought it was poison and I wondered why it wasn't killing him. :)

apusooner
10/31/2006, 07:22 PM
I had a friend who brought it back from Europe. It was nasty. Didn't do anything to me either. There was this queer way of preparing it with sugar cubes and fire. It tasted like poo. I got bored with it and started setting the sugar cubes on fire.

nanimonai
10/31/2006, 10:48 PM

TIA

I believe it is legal to import a certain amount for personal use. You can buy it online at various spots but it looks to be extremely expensive.

http://www.originalabsinthe.com/?azx=800

Crimson_Balls
10/31/2006, 11:58 PM
If you drink the real "absinthe"... it will rock your world and make you sleep for about three days...

...then you wake up next to an Asian chick and wonder, "what the hell am I doing here?".