PDA

View Full Version : Good afternoon -- the Western World is changed forever

handcrafted
10/31/2006, 02:35 PM
Not to step on Homey's toes, but he missed this one. :D

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/history/95theses.htm

On October 31, 1517, Dr. Martin Luther, an Augustinian monk and University professor, posted his "Disputations on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences" on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany. The document, which came to be known as the "95 Theses", was an invitation to debate theological issues surrounding the sale of papal indulgences by Johann Tetzel, among others. The sale was intended to finance the renovation and expansion of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. An "indulgence", as used at the time, was a "get out of Purgatory free" card, normally granted because of some great good deed of penance or mercy, but during Luther's time they were being sold for profit.

Luther's 95 Theses received widespread attention because the invention of the printing press some years earlier allowed some of his enterprising students to make hundreds of copies and distribute them to the surrounding areas. This even began a snowball-like series of political and religious events (including several riots) that resulted in the Protestant Reformation.

mdklatt
10/31/2006, 02:36 PM
Not to step on Homey's toes, but he missed this one. :D

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/history/95theses.htm

Homey always provides a write-up with pictures.

crawfish
10/31/2006, 02:39 PM
I agree. You score a .247 out of 10 on the Homey scale.

handcrafted
10/31/2006, 02:48 PM
Not trying to compete with him. Well, there's the write-up. No photos available, of course, but that web link has some artwork.

Widescreen
10/31/2006, 03:06 PM
If you haven't seen the movie Luther, you should. It's does a pretty good job of capturing the spirit of the early stages of the reformation.

SoonerInKCMO
10/31/2006, 03:08 PM
'The Wittenberg Door' is a fine magazine. It's a religious satire magazine that is run by devout Christians but has an abnormally large number of atheists in its readership.

handcrafted
10/31/2006, 03:16 PM
If you haven't seen the movie Luther, you should. It's does a pretty good job of capturing the spirit of the early stages of the reformation.

I have the DVD. Yes, it's very historically accurate.

TUSooner
10/31/2006, 03:35 PM
On behalf of Homey (not that he needs any help) let me just say that can't you expect him to note every significant anniversary every day. So it's not fair to say he "missed one."
That is all.
;)

crawfish
10/31/2006, 03:45 PM
I have the DVD. Yes, it's very historically accurate.

Well, what it chose to disclose was historically accurate. :)

It is a very good movie, highly recommended. I own a copy myself.

handcrafted
10/31/2006, 03:46 PM
On behalf of Homey (not that he needs any help) let me just say that can't you expect him to note every significant anniversary every day. So it's not fair to say he "missed one."
That is all.
;)

Yes, but this one is more important than the entrance of some silly state into the union. Especially when it's the one that contains Las Vegas. ;)

King Crimson
10/31/2006, 04:26 PM
the advent of the printing press and the so-called Gutenberg Bible is also credited (rightly or wrongly) with the eventual spread of literacy and eventually democracy and the influence of public opinion in political affairs--in the formation of parliaments and such.

though, i think one could make the argument that the tecnhological medium of communication and reproduction as such today.....media (plural) are not sufficient argument for the spread of literacy if one were to turn on the tube or read any mainstream news site today. or because one merely has a computer one can make oneself informed and critical. it's people who do it, not the technology alone. tech is always situated in a social context that determines it's ends and uses. and people make those decisions.

NormanPride
10/31/2006, 04:33 PM
He probably did it in a previous year, is all. HOMEY IS ALL-REMEMBERING!

;)