PDA

View Full Version : BIG 12 MONEY & ATHLETICS

BIG_IKE
10/31/2006, 09:52 AM
I was in a discussion this morning with a co-worker about how money affects athletic programs. So I did a little research and learned 3 things.
1. OU is the only school in the conference with Football as it's most successful sport. 2. Oklahoma State is the poorest school in the conference.
3. A&M has too much money to suck so bad overall

Here is a little profile on each school. Yes, I have no life.

Baylor University
Endowment: 860 Million
Students: 13,975
Best Sport/Achievement: Mens' Track & Field. 466 All-americans. 30 Olympic Gold Medalists in the last 10 years, 27 straight NCAA Finals in 4x400 Relay.

Texas Tech University
Endowment: 461 Million
Students: 28,001
Best sport/Achievment: Women's Basketball. Won National Title, consistently among the nations best.

Texas
Endowment: 5.5 Billion
Students: 49,676
Best Sport/Achievment: Baseball. More trips to College World series than any other school. 6 National Titles. Ranked #1 Sports College.

Texas A&M
Endowment: 4.6 Billion
Students: 45,487
Best Sport/Achievement: ......Womens Soccer? 5 Big 12 Titles.

Oklahoma State
Endowment: 236 Million
Students: 23,819
Best sport/Achievment: Wrestling. 34 National Titles, most in NCAA in any sport. 55 Olympians. First school to ever win back to back Basketball National Titles.

OKLAHOMA SOONERS
Endowment: 879 Million
Students: 30,447
Best Sport/Achievment: Football. 4 Heisman's, 7 National Titles. Best Win % Since AP Poll began, longest winning streak in NCAA History.

Nebraska
Endowment: 1 Billion
Students: 21,782
Best Sport/Achievment: Men's Gymnastics. 8 National Titles. More Academic All Americans than any other school with 233.

COLORADO
Endowment: 512 Million
Students: 28,000
Best Sport/Achievement: Skiing. (im not making this up!!) 15 National Titles.
They also have won all but one Big 12 Cross country Titles (male and female) but who cares...

MISSOURI
Endowment: 848 Million
Students: 27,000
Best Sport/Achievement: Men's Basketball. Post Season Tournament 14 of last 15 years.

KAnsas
Endowment: 1.2 Billion
Students: 27,000
Best Sport/Achievement: Men's Basketball. 2 National Titles, 12 Final Four Appearances.

Kansas State
Endowment: 251 Million
Students: 23,000
Best sport/Achievement: Volleyball. Among the All-Time best programs.:rolleyes:

Iowa State
Endowment: 456 Million
Students: 26,700
Best Sport/Achievement:...ummm..why do Aggie schools suck so bad? B-Ball...13 NCAA Tourney appearances...that's just sad...

soonerlaw
10/31/2006, 10:02 AM
Nice info. When looking at the huge endowments for TAMU and UT, keep in mind that that includes the UT-system so it includes UT-Austin, UT-Arlington, UT-Dallas, etc, and same thing with TAMU as it includes College Station, Commerce, and whatever other little schools. I think if it was just for the main campuses, OU-Norman would be pretty comparable to Austin or C.Station.

BIG_IKE
10/31/2006, 10:10 AM
Interesting find on all that Texas money...kinda dirty too...

The Permanent University Fund (PUF) is one of the ways the state of Texas funds its universities.

The PUF was formed by the 1876 Texas Constitution, from which proceeds from leases and royalties on state land would be deposited. The discovery of huge oil reserves in the early 1900's dramatically increased the size of the PUF.

The PUF principal in the fall 2005 was approximately $15 billion, second only to Harvard's endowment. The PUF primarily serves The University of Texas System with two thirds of its proceeds. The PUF also funds the Texas A&M University System with the remaining third.

Other Texas public universities outside these two systems, notably University of Houston and Texas Tech University, are prohibited by law from sharing in the income from this endowment. At one time, the PUF was the chief source of income for Texas A&M University at College Station and The University of Texas at Austin, but today its revenues account for less than ten percent of the universities' annual budgets. This has challenged both schools to increase sponsored research and private donations.

CincySooner
10/31/2006, 10:16 AM
30 olympic gold medalists for baylor... I find that to be very impressive.

Even more so if those olympians were in school at the time.

mrowl
10/31/2006, 10:20 AM
Another note, Kevin Weiberg, commissioner of the Big 12 earns $683,200 a year.

BIG_IKE
10/31/2006, 10:27 AM
thats a damn shame. He earns more than half a million to be spineless and corrupt.

mrowl
10/31/2006, 10:29 AM
just to compare...

Britton Banowsky, commissioner of Conference USA: $381,120.

MamaMia
10/31/2006, 10:36 AM
BIG IKE, Thanks for doing all that research. Thats very interesting. :)

Taxman71
10/31/2006, 11:58 AM
Again, how did Baylor end up in the Big 12? That's like putting a rich 2A private high school in the same conference as 6A public schools.

BIG_IKE
10/31/2006, 12:06 PM
There was actually some legislation passed that MADE UT & A&M take Baylor and Tech with them.

Athletically, Baylor is far from being the worst program in the Conference.
They have won a few National Titles, as well as conference titles.

OSUAggie
10/31/2006, 12:07 PM
30 olympic gold medalists for baylor... I find that to be very impressive.

Even more so if those olympians were in school at the time.

OSU has 21 olympic gold medalists and 4th most national championships in the country, behind UCLA, USC and Stanford... Texas is catching up quickly.... 48-42 I think...

Not bad for the poorest school in the Big 12

XingTheRubicon
10/31/2006, 12:30 PM
OSU has 21 olympic gold medalists and 4th most national championships in the country, behind UCLA, USC and Stanford... Texas is catching up quickly.... 48-42 I think...

The combined attendance for your 48 National Championships is 756 farmers.

Newbomb Turk
10/31/2006, 12:31 PM

which shows you don't need a bunch of money to have a top-notch rasslin program.

sooner n houston
10/31/2006, 01:03 PM
Again, how did Baylor end up in the Big 12? That's like putting a rich 2A private high school in the same conference as 6A public schools.

To change the subject, they are doing basically that here in NW Arkansas. The public schools got tired of being handed their asses year after year by the small private schools so they changed the rules to up the private schools into much higher population conferences. I'm not sure how that is working out for them, any of you locals know?

EnemyNumberOne
10/31/2006, 01:16 PM
With all due respect, what does a school's endowment have to do with their athletic program? Check out academic rankings and the size of A&M and Texas' endowments will make more sense.

A&M's athletic program is primarily funded thru private donations to the 12th Man Foundation. Now, if you want to make hay, you can look up the conference athletic budgets and find that A&M has underachieved in relation to the amount of money raised by the Foundation.

A&M is recognized as one of the country's top academic and research institutions. As an athletic powerhouse, not so much. We win at a lot of sports, but have struggled in basketball since forever and football obviously fell on hard times.

Good luck this weekend.

JohnnyMack
10/31/2006, 01:27 PM
I ****ing hate Aggie troll.

Taxman71
10/31/2006, 01:51 PM
As an athletic powerhouse.....

That is pure Aggie troll comedy gold right there.

Doged
10/31/2006, 02:24 PM
Academic smack on a football board? wtf next, SAT scores?

TAMU is a good university, no doubt of it. You don't have to be a genius to look at the scoreboard Saturday night and see that the number under the OU is bigger than the number under the A&M, though.

EnemyNumberOne
10/31/2006, 02:29 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to **** anybody off. I was just drawing the distinction between endowments and athletic budgets.

And I didn't mean to suggest "academic smack." We're just well endowed.

SicEmBaylor
10/31/2006, 02:35 PM
I'd add our Women's national championship to that list.

Our best known track star and Olympic Gold Medalist of course is...
http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1996/1101960812_400.jpg

Taxman71
10/31/2006, 02:36 PM
And I didn't mean to suggest "academic smack." We're just well endowed.

That's what she said....or he said.
Sincerely,
Michael Scott

TexasLidig8r
10/31/2006, 02:43 PM
Isn't Bryan/College Station spanish for sheep v*gina?

OSUAggie
10/31/2006, 02:43 PM
which shows you don't need a bunch of money to have a top-notch rasslin program.

if you take away wrestling from both schools, OSU still has more titles than OU...

XingTheRubicon
10/31/2006, 03:06 PM
if you take away wrestling from both schools, OSU still has more titles than OU...

OU has 18 National titles if you take away wrestling.

OSU has 14 NC's if you take away wrestling.

Learn to add you f*cking aggot.

Luthor
10/31/2006, 03:18 PM
Now we all know why aggy built a huge football stadium in the middle of a gravel pit.

LysisAG
10/31/2006, 03:31 PM
Yeah, a school's endowment has nothing to do with how their athletic program does. The endowment is used to fund the school, not the athletic department.

Altho I do agree that A&M has not been very successful in football from 2000-2005, we were very successful in the 80s and 90s (70% wins). Football success is cyclical.

TexasSooner01
10/31/2006, 03:35 PM
Now we all know why aggy built a huge football stadium in the middle of a gravel pit.

Heh.:)

OSUAggie
10/31/2006, 03:52 PM

Learn to add you f*cking aggot.

i guess i missed it when the NCAA began granting football championships... 14-11

TexasLidig8r
10/31/2006, 04:20 PM
Altho I do agree that A&M has not been very successful in football from 2000-2005, we were very successful in the 80s and 90s (70% wins). Football success is cyclical.

It will be cyclical as long as those good ole aggy alum employ aggy football players on summer jobs they don't have to attend.. or... they send fed ex envelopes to aggy football players filled with money... or you're put on probation at the start of that 10 year time frame.... AND the end of it... or, you can't go to a bowl game in the only year you have gone undefeated (although tied) since before WWII because you were on probation...or you employ a coach who has a reputation as being one of the dirtiest coaches in NCAA history.

As for that 10 year time period... how many times did you end the year ranked in the top 5 in the AP poll??.. uh.. that would be..... ZERO. In fact, the last time aggy finished in the top 5 in the AP poll was.... 1956.. and... aggy was on probation THAT year too.

Ouch.. those things.. called.. what are they.. oh yes.. FACTS are pesky little things aren't they? Perhaps aggy can build a graveyard for them to .. and a scoreboard.. :D

Herr Scholz
10/31/2006, 04:21 PM

UT has 47 national titles overall in 11 men and women's sports. We have 29 national titles if you don't count swimming and diving (since you guys don't compete in that sport).

http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=101

Scott D
10/31/2006, 04:41 PM
UT has 47 national titles overall in 11 men and women's sports. We have 29 national titles if you don't count swimming and diving (since you guys don't compete in that sport).

which holds no relevance in the quoted argument...take it to texags

TXBOOMER
10/31/2006, 05:24 PM
While I certainly admire the athletic achievements of all of the student athletes from these Universities. I don't much care for sitting through college baseball games, track meets, gymnastic competitions and wrestling tournaments. I hope we continue OUr football track record for the next 100 years.

crimson&cream
10/31/2006, 06:18 PM
Nice info. When looking at the huge endowments for TAMU and UT, keep in mind that that includes the UT-system so it includes UT-Austin, UT-Arlington, UT-Dallas, etc, and same thing with TAMU as it includes College Station, Commerce, and whatever other little schools. I think if it was just for the main campuses, OU-Norman would be pretty comparable to Austin or C.Station.
Wouldn't OU Tulsa count in that total.?

XingTheRubicon
10/31/2006, 06:23 PM
i guess i missed it when the NCAA began granting football championships... 14-11

I can see why you wouldn't want to count AP and UPI Football MNC's.

goingoneight
10/31/2006, 08:36 PM
We could be a lot better (speaking in terms of $$$) if Okie Light was never created an OU was just a union of all things Oklahoma... but some people would rather just take a side and suck pitifully.

XingTheRubicon
10/31/2006, 09:47 PM

UCLA and Stanford like to talk up non-revenue generating sports, too.

Best Big XII football program - OU

Best Big XII basketball program - KU

Both members of the former beloved Big 8.

UT= behind OU in both.

It is what it is.

tulsaoilerfan
10/31/2006, 09:59 PM
How did Kansas get so well endowed?:eek:

ouflak
11/1/2006, 05:38 AM
Yeah, I was about to mention that Baylor did win a national title in Women's basketball. You need less of a life to have not listed that in your post.

BIG_IKE
11/1/2006, 06:49 AM
Yeah, I was about to mention that Baylor did win a national title in Women's basketball. You need less of a life to have not listed that in your post.

I listed the BEST ATHLETIC PROGRAM at each school. Baylor's Track Program, particularly the 4x400 Relay is the best in the WORLD. And I find that to be better than 1 measley Womens National Championship. Making it to the 4x400 Finals in NCAA Track and field 27 years in a row is unheard of. People like Deon Minor, Michael Johnson, Jeremy Wariner etc. are Olympic Gold Medalists and world record holders. Baylors Relays is faster than most NATIONS relays and usually accounts for about 50% of the US's Relay. Who else do you know with 400+ All-Americans in one sport in the Big 12?

I mean, I didnt mention UT's Football Championship, because the baseball team has more titles.

Vaevictis
11/1/2006, 06:54 AM
Our Men's Gymnastics program has to be getting up there. Four NC's in five years? That's pretty good.

SicEmBaylor
11/1/2006, 02:21 PM
Big Ike is becoming one of my favorite posters.

Big12 AJ
11/4/2006, 11:57 AM
Speaking of spending money: ;)

If any of you are heading to Waco for the Baylor game, I've got deals going at 2 hotels in town.

1) Comfort Suites (brand new) for $89.95 plus tax(regularly $109.95) for any room. You can check out www.wacocomfortsuites.com. But call the hotel directly and ask for the "Soonerfans.com" rate.

2) EconoLodge Inn & Suites starting at $59.95 depending on roomtype. You can check out www.wacoeconolodge.com, but call the hotel directly and ask for the "Soonerfans.com" rate.

Both hotels are about 1-2 miles from the stadium.

mrowl
11/4/2006, 12:00 PM
Speaking of spending money: ;)

If any of you are heading to Waco for the Baylor game, I've got deals going at 2 hotels in town.

1) Comfort Suites (brand new) for $89.95 plus tax(regularly $109.95) for any room. You can check out www.wacocomfortsuites.com. But call the hotel directly and ask for the "Soonerfans.com" rate.

2) EconoLodge Inn & Suites starting at $59.95 depending on roomtype. You can check out www.wacoeconolodge.com, but call the hotel directly and ask for the "Soonerfans.com" rate.

Both hotels are about 1-2 miles from the stadium.

did you forget that DFW is 75 MINUTES NORTH?

crazy talk staying in Waco.