View Full Version : OU Hockey - Sooners Weekly 10/30/06

Chris Perry
10/30/2006, 02:36 PM
*** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ***

SOONERS WEEKLY
For the Week of October 30, 2006

SOONERS STUN SUN DEVILS TWICE
No. 7 OKLAHOMA HOSTS MINNESOTA THIS WEEKEND

THIS WEEK’S GAMES - The University of Oklahoma® hockey club (11-0-0) stays at home this weekend to host Minnesota (3-2-1) for a pair of games. The Friday game will begin at 7:30 P.M. while the Saturday contest will have an 8:30 P.M. start. All Sooners home games are played at Blazers Ice Centre, 8000 South I-35, in Oklahoma City. The Sooners have an all-time record of 4-2-0 against Minnesota.

LAST WEEK’S OU HOCKEY GAMES – Oklahoma played a pair of games against Arizona State (2-4-0). Friday night, OU jumped out early on the Sun Devils with a 2-0 lead behind goals from Justin Hall and Owen Brewer only to see ASU cut the lead in half in the second period. In the third period, Adrian Borchgrevink scored to give OU a two-goal cushion and Mark Tylka added an empty net insurance goal as OU won 4-1. Saturday evening, the Sun Devils had OU on their heels for the first two periods of play. Solid defense kept OU in the game as ASU led 1-0 after two periods. Kyle Allan and Adrian Borchgrevink scored for the Sooners in the third, sandwiching another ASU goal, and Doug Gebbie scored the game-winner with two and a half minutes left in the game to give OU a 3-2 come-from-behind win over the Sun Devils. With the wins, Oklahoma joins Illinois as the only teams remaining unbeaten thus far in the ACHA D1 this season.

RANKINGS – The Sooners are ranked 7th in the most recent ACHA Coaches Division 1 ranking released last Friday. The next ACHA D1 ranking is scheduled to be released this Friday, November 3rd.

SCOUTING THE GOLDEN GOPHERS – Minnesota is an ACHA D2 team that plays in the Western Collegiate Club Hockey Association (WCCHA). The Golden Gophers are 3-2-1 on the season and last played two weeks ago, sweeping a home series against Michigan Tech by scores of 5-3 and 4-2. Minnesota is led in scoring by forward Eric Lind who has six goals and one assist for a total of seven points this season. Lind is followed by forward Craig Chapman (2-5-7), forward Justin Fuith (3-3-6) and forward Craig Mielke (2-4-6). The ACHA D2 club plays their home games in Mariucci Arena, the same building that serves as the home of Minnesota’s NCAA D1 hockey program.

SOONERS HOME GAMES ON THE AIR – All 2006-2007 OU Hockey home games will be broadcast over the internet this season. Caleb Fox, a senior from Rowlett, Texas, returns to call his second season of play-by-play action for the Sooners. Color commentator Keaton Fuchs, a senior from Norman, also returns this season and is joined by producer/commentator Scott Kingsolver, a senior from Plano, Texas, to bring you another year of hard-hitting, fast-paced Sooners Hockey action over the internet throughout the year. The OU Hockey broadcast begins 15 minutes prior to face-off. Fans can listen to the OU Hockey internet broadcast by going to either www.icehockey.ou.edu or www.ouhockey.com and clicking the BROADCAST link.

TICKETS – Individual tickets for all OU Hockey home games are on sale now and can be purchased at Blazers Ice Centre, 8000 South I-35, in Oklahoma City. Call 631-3307 or 631-2709 for additional information.

PRACTICE SCHEDULE – The Sooners practice this week at the Blazers Ice Centre on Monday and Wednesday from 4:30-6:00 P.M. and Tuesday from 8:45-10:30 P.M.

### BOOMER SOONER! ###
MEDIA CONTACT:
Chris Perry, General Manager
University of Oklahoma® Hockey
Phone: (405) 631-2709 / Cell: (405) 488-4048
Email: [email protected] / Fax: (405) 631-3303
www.icehockey.ou.edu / www.ouhockey.com

FLSoonerfan
10/31/2006, 03:43 PM
Was wondering if the University of Oklahoma Hockey team was in D-1 but after reading the threaded post no they are not. Cause i would think OU would have some problems with the ACTUAL Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey team. IMO..............but would love for the day when OU does or will move up to D-1

Duke o Brewery
11/1/2006, 03:36 PM
OU is D1 in the ACHA, which is the highest level of collegiate hockey that isn't NCAA. IMO its like comparing the best mid-major football conference to the BCS conferences. The ACHA's best are good enough to hang with and beat a lot of NCAA teams, but the level of money, facilities, and talent is generally just a notch apart. We can't play at the NCAA level unless the university were to add ice hockey as a scholarship, varsity sport... which would be fantastic.

IMO our Sooner teams of the past few years would have been handled easily by the likes of the varsity Minnesota or Boston College teams, but after seeing our boys this season I think we could hold our own against those powers. This year's team is damn good.

What I'm curious to know is how some of these universities manage two or more hockey teams. Minnesota appears to have an NCAA team and an ACHL D2 team. Is it like varsity and JV for schools like that?

Mixer!
11/3/2006, 04:14 AM
Minnesota is to HS hockey what Texas is to HS football.

Chris Perry
11/3/2006, 07:07 AM
What I'm curious to know is how some of these universities manage two or more hockey teams. Minnesota appears to have an NCAA team and an ACHL D2 team. Is it like varsity and JV for schools like that?
Yes, Duke, schools that have an NCAA hockey program sometimes do use their ACHA club as a JV system - Minnesota a few years back placed some kids that didn't make their NCAA Varsity team on their club team to keep them in shape and on the ice - same for Michigan, which called up a few guys from their club team two years ago when their NCAA roster was hit hard by injuries - don't get me wrong, the kids that were called up/sent down were def. impact players at the ACHA level but were warm bodies riding the pine for the most part at the NCAA level - but I use tham as examples of how schools with an NCAA hockey program do use their ACHA club as a JV-type system

And thanks for the kind words on this year's OU team - we are good - we'll get a chance to see how good we are at the end of the season at Nationals

Chris Perry
[email protected]