PDA

View Full Version : a couple of things from the mizzou game

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 02:34 PM
how refreshing was it

to see a team that mentally couldn't handle playing us?

to see a unit (TE) perform poorly one week and then come back as gang busters the next week?

to see dbs be in a position to make a play on the ball instead of to make a tackle after a catch?

to see cutback lanes?

to see us force the action instead of passively try to stop a team?

to see a goal line stand?

how worried are you

that our gameplan seems to be to have a running back carry the ball 35 times a game?

that kelly has virtually disappeared?

mrowl
10/30/2006, 02:38 PM
Has Paul lost all confidence to throw the ball down the field to Kelly?

Or is it the gameplan?

fwsooner22
10/30/2006, 02:38 PM
Agree with all of that.............I felt my confidence in this group soar during that game..............Hope it is warranted and I think it is..............

The 35 plus carries..........I think we are taking what is given us. Kelly is drawing doubles........at least that is what I was seeing.........

BermudaSooner
10/30/2006, 02:39 PM
I would like to see Kelly get the ball 10 times a game.

BTW, our O-line isn't the disaster that was predicted at the beginning of the season. We can win when the game plan is to get the RB the ball 35 times a game, even when the RB isn't the most talented football player in college.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 02:45 PM
my worry is that you can't expect guys to stay healthy over 300 carries a year...

Mjcpr
10/30/2006, 02:47 PM
I believe Kelly lost his grandfather recently; I'm sure that hasn't helped him on the field.

jk the sooner fan
10/30/2006, 02:48 PM
i wondered about the number of carries, and wondered why we didnt see chris brown

if you've got a run defense as porous as Mizzou's seemed to be and you want to keep their offense off the field, then i think you run it ad nauseum until they can stop you

toast
10/30/2006, 02:49 PM
i'm assuming that kelly is getting a lot of the attention from the defense and that it's opening up other parts of the offense. i'm also concerned about the number of carries. i'm also wondering if we burned brown's redshirt for 4 plays in the CU game?

MiccoMacey
10/30/2006, 03:02 PM
i wondered about the number of carries, and wondered why we didnt see chris brown

I agree on CB. If you pull a redshirt off someone, it needs to be for a meaningful reason. Not just a few carries at the end of one game in the middle of the season.

I'm all for letting freshmen play, and not worried about redshirting people. But there needs to be a reason to un-redshirt someone other than last week.

He needs to play more.

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/30/2006, 03:10 PM
What happened to Madu?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 03:11 PM
un redshirting seems to come back and bite us (see griffin, Q)

IronSooner
10/30/2006, 03:13 PM
I'm betting we don't see Madu this season. I'm wondering about Brown though..all I could find on it was Wilson saying it was up to Gundy. I hope we get some mileage out of the kid this year though. Hopefully the others can keep their shirts.

colleyvillesooner
10/30/2006, 03:14 PM
I agree on CB. If you pull a redshirt off someone, it needs to be for a meaningful reason. Not just a few carries at the end of one game in the middle of the season.

I'm all for letting freshmen play, and not worried about redshirting people. But there needs to be a reason to un-redshirt someone other than last week.

He needs to play more.

Well, there were 3 freshmen in that class, and they seemed hell bent on separating one from the other two, and that was Brown

starrca23
10/30/2006, 03:15 PM
Glad to see Q Chaney be productive. I like to see local guys do good. Hopefully he will see more time in 3 reciever sets his size is an asset especially if Kelly continues to draw lots of attention.

Mjcpr
10/30/2006, 03:15 PM
un redshirting seems to come back and bite us (see griffin, Q)

Who would we have used instead of Q? I don't remember the options...it's been a while.

RacerX
10/30/2006, 03:16 PM
..all I could find on it was Wilson saying it was up to Gundy.

That's comforting.

RacerX
10/30/2006, 03:18 PM
Who would we have used instead of Q? I don't remember the options...it's been a while.

Buster Kuhn!!!!!

RacerX
10/30/2006, 03:22 PM
from our friend at Soonerstats.com (http://www.soonerstats.com/fb/players/roster.cfm?SeasonID=1999)

Quentin Griffin
Buster Kuhn
Dwight McKissic
Jay Hunt
Jamar Mozee
Josh Norman
Stanley Peters
Reggie Skinner
Johnnie Balous
Brandon Daniels

I left off Seth since he was the FB.

Mjcpr
10/30/2006, 03:24 PM
That's a lot of RBs.

RacerX
10/30/2006, 03:27 PM
Mozee did squat.

You see several converts to WR there, Brandon and Josh.

Skinner had some yards against I-State. Seems like Jay Disappeared. Balous showed a flash here and there.

The_Red_Patriot
10/30/2006, 03:30 PM
I saw a couple times where we should have thrown the ball but when they cant stop 5 yard runs, keep doing it. Grind the clock, control the game, tire out the defense and it prevents INTs.

I liked what KW did.

and our defense---Goal line stand

nuff said about that

Rhino
10/30/2006, 03:30 PM
Skinner and Balous were the only valid options.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 03:31 PM
its our most oft used example. it was the correct move in 99, but we traded 5 games of a 7-5 season for a legit running back threat in 2003...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 03:31 PM
hunt was out with an ACL

OklahomaTuba
10/30/2006, 03:32 PM
All I know is this,

If we go down to College Station and beat A&M with our back-up QB and back-up RBs, then this is one of BS's best coaching jobs ever.

Once we get the next trigger man on campus this spring, next year won't be so horrible I hope.

jk the sooner fan
10/30/2006, 03:39 PM
is this weekend the annual "maroon out" game for the faggies?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/30/2006, 04:05 PM
We also learned/were reminded that we still own MU. The same way that a US Embassey overseas is US Territory, the MU campus is technically part of the State of Oklahoma.

FormerSoonerProf
10/30/2006, 04:17 PM
Sooner coaches are coaching better and team players are playing better now because the complacency of having a star player like Adrian Peterson is over. Remember our NC team? There were no superstars... they played as a team and the coaches worked that much harder... So, maybe losing AD was good overall for the Sooners... I know I will be negged for saying this... but I got a thick skin.

Scott D
10/30/2006, 04:20 PM

Ideally some guy named Parker that decided to go pro instead of staying for his senior year.

colleyvillesooner
10/30/2006, 04:22 PM
is this weekend the annual "maroon out" game for the faggies?

No, it's the nebraska game.

Mjcpr
10/30/2006, 04:32 PM
Ideally some guy named Parker that decided to go pro instead of staying for his senior year.

Yeah, that was a great move by DP.

Scott D
10/30/2006, 04:48 PM
not to mention if a team is going to run the ball on 67% of it's plays on offense, you'd like to see them keep multiple backs relatively fresh to wear on the defense.

IronSooner
10/30/2006, 04:59 PM
not to mention if a team is going to run the ball on 67% of it's plays on offense, you'd like to see them keep multiple backs relatively fresh to wear on the defense.

This is what I've expected the last couple weeks. AP will get the lion's share of the carries, but they'd spell him with Gute or Brown. I like that they worked Gute in against MU but was surprised Brown never got any carries. I'm sure they just didn't want to take out AP when he was running so well, but at the same time, he needs to stay healthy and as close to 100% as possible.

tulsaoilerfan
10/30/2006, 05:01 PM
OU has made a habit of playing some true freshmen that would have been better off sitting out and redshirting instead of wasting a full year on a handful of plays; names that come to mind immediately include Brandon Jones, Rankins, T.Wilson and Tennell and Chris Brown this season; i sure hope Brown gets more than mop up duty against Colorado or this will be another of those WTF? decisions IMO

Widescreen
10/30/2006, 05:05 PM
Jason White came out of redshirt and played a few snaps his freshman year and then developed a mystery "back ailment" to get the redshirt back.

Rhino
10/30/2006, 05:08 PM
OU has made a habit of playing some true freshmen that would have been better off sitting out and redshirting instead of wasting a full year on a handful of plays; names that come to mind immediately include Brandon Jones, Rankins, T.Wilson and Tennell and Chris Brown this season; i sure hope Brown gets more than mop up duty against Colorado or this will be another of those WTF? decisions IMO I can't even begin to understand this staff's decisions in regards to redshirts over the last couple years.

Brandon Jones was a different beast, because -at the time- we didn't know if/when he might bolt for the MLB.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 05:08 PM
Jason White came out of redshirt and played a few snaps his freshman year and then developed a mystery "back ailment" to get the redshirt back.

which works the first 3 games, but it doesn't apply after that. i'm okay with that strategy early, but late in the season its a waste.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 05:19 PM
I can't even begin to understand this staff's decisions in regards to redshirts over the last couple years.

Brandon Jones was a different beast, because -at the time- we didn't know if/when he might bolt for the MLB.

typically there are from 3-5 guys per class that fall into the "who knows how long we'll have them" category. typically they come into a thin position and need to play immediately. where i get confused is when we opt not to redshirt at a stacked position. using WR as an example, was it really necessary to play both rankins AND wilson as true freshman? especially since we had 3 sophs and 2 seniors at the position? i know rankins refused to redshirt, but couldn't you have talked some sense into wilson? that decimated our WR corps because there was no stability after we lost the clayton class. it just seems it you would be better off looking at some kids that have potential, but need to redshirt (and are willing too) between these big classes.

ultimatesooner1
10/30/2006, 05:22 PM
I think the 85 scholly limit has a huge impact on who gets to redshirt and who doesn't

Doged
10/30/2006, 05:29 PM
Don't they have to be in for a minimum number of plays before they lose their redshirt? Or is that the "first three games" that jkm posted about?

NormanPride
10/30/2006, 05:32 PM
I really hope AP's 60 carries these past two games have been because of the gameplan. Vs Colorado, we needed to run to keep the ball out of the air - and thus the wind. Vs Mizzou, their run D was so atrocious that we couldn't help but run on them. If OSU's is worse, we could see the same gameplan against them. A&M will be a true test, as I don't think their run D is bad enough to let us just run when we want to. Paul will have to make some plays.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 05:33 PM
I think the 85 scholly limit has a huge impact on who gets to redshirt and who doesn't

even with 85, you still can almost have 4 full classes of players on campus. where it becomes a limiting factor is when you have recruiting mistakes.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 05:34 PM
Don't they have to be in for a minimum number of plays before they lose their redshirt? Or is that the "first three games" that jkm posted about?

1 play = no redshirt. if you are hurt, you can qualify for a medical redshirt as long as you have only played in the first 25% of scheduled games.

bixby28
10/30/2006, 06:12 PM
I would like to see Kelly get the ball 10 times a game.

BTW, our O-line isn't the disaster that was predicted at the beginning of the season. We can win when the game plan is to get the RB the ball 35 times a game, even when the RB isn't the most talented football player in college.

OUr offensive line hasn't been run blocking very well, until the Colorado game. Their pass blocking has been good enough, but their run blocking has been a disaster.

These offensive lineman have improved a lot, but they have looked very bad at times this year.

Sooner_Bob
10/30/2006, 06:19 PM
Lindy Holmes definitely showed up on Saturday . . . here's hopin' he keeps it going.

bixby28
10/30/2006, 06:45 PM
I'm betting we don't see Madu this season. I'm wondering about Brown though..all I could find on it was Wilson saying it was up to Gundy. I hope we get some mileage out of the kid this year though. Hopefully the others can keep their shirts.

The move with Chris Brown was a bad decision. I don't know what good reason Gundy had in pulling his red-shirt for a 4 carry, 1 touchdown performance, especially with Gutierrez and Patrick healthy. Gundy owes Brown an apology for wasting a year of eligibility on Colorado, at HOME!!:confused:

StoopTroup
10/30/2006, 07:01 PM
Lindy Holmes definitely showed up on Saturday . . . here's hopin' he keeps it going.
It almost looks like he's put some muscle and bulk on in the last month.

I think he may have found his calling on Defense.

oilmud
10/30/2006, 07:13 PM
The kind of running back we want will not be here for a redshirt to pay off. I say play'em and try to recruit over'em.

TripleOption14
10/30/2006, 07:40 PM
I really hope AP's 60 carries these past two games have been because of the gameplan. Vs Colorado, we needed to run to keep the ball out of the air - and thus the wind. Vs Mizzou, their run D was so atrocious that we couldn't help but run on them. If OSU's is worse, we could see the same gameplan against them. A&M will be a true test, as I don't think their run D is bad enough to let us just run when we want to. Paul will have to make some plays.

Seems like to me OU's gameplan has been to play keep away. Which is fine if you are playing a team that doesn't score real fast. But i'm afraid eventually its gonna backfire and this team is gonna be forced to play a fast paced game. Mizzou already proved that OU can't keep up when they pressed.

As long as OU has to ball and can grind out the clock and FINISH the drive w/ TD's the "keep away" strategy works. But if drives stall and the opposition gets up i fear that this team will not be able to score points in a hurry.

usmc-sooner
10/30/2006, 07:50 PM
I don't like the whole get up by a few points and try to milk the clock for almost the entire quarter.

When I watch the games the TE's are wide open a lot, and we can't expect to run every play and then expect Paul to be as accurate if he never throws.

jk the sooner fan
10/30/2006, 07:54 PM
gundy pulled his redshirt?

wow, i didnt realize he was the head coach nowadays......

TripleOption14
10/30/2006, 08:00 PM
I don't like the whole get up by a few points and try to milk the clock for almost the entire quarter.

Someone else saw what i saw as well. :D The conservative approach is just a recipe for disaster. Its been proven time and time again this year. i'm no D-1 coach but it seems to me like one needs to just continue to play the game/ finish the game the exact same way.

goingoneight
10/30/2006, 08:46 PM

He needs to play more.

It was in the books to get the best n00b out there this season, we just hadn't really iced any opponents yet with AD and AP at spot #1 and spot #2. Had we spanked UAB and Oregon, since OUr O played well enough to do so... I'll bet we'd have seen them earlier. Besides, have you seen OU's TB depth chart as of late? I think putting Halzle in for a few snaps wouldn't hurt if we beat up on someone again. IF... that is.

tulsaoilerfan
10/30/2006, 09:13 PM
Once you play a single snap, it's done, unless again you suffer some sort of injury that ends your season, then you can apply to get that extra year back after your senior year i believe; JW and someone else benefited from that, but i can't remember who it was(Thibodeaux?) .

tulsaoilerfan
10/30/2006, 09:15 PM
even with 85, you still can almost have 4 full classes of players on campus. where it becomes a limiting factor is when you have recruiting mistakes.
You mean like 02 and 03? Unfortunately those 2 years are almost a total waste

picasso
10/30/2006, 10:22 PM
methinks Bixby's a troll.

stoopified
10/30/2006, 10:35 PM
Seems Hunt was always hurt in the fall after great spring.Preettty sure he was hurt that fall.When McKissic did play it was at FB,Balous overweight,overrrated; Peters appears to have been a legacy recruit(much like LB Tony Peters jr) who never panned out.So no there really were not any options.Reggie Skinner, bwahshahahahahahaha

Salt City Sooner
10/30/2006, 11:12 PM
"Reggie Skinner, bwahshahahahahahaha"
I'll take Who was the only OU back to break 100 yards in a game twice in '99 for $500 Alex. Was he a gamebreaker? Nope. Was he a decent back who didn't quite fit the mold (short & shifty) of a Leach (read Q, Thornton, the other Ricky Williams, Henderson, Woods) back, & thusly got lost in the shuffle? Absolutely.

toast
10/31/2006, 08:54 AM
After watching the replay show, Alonzo Dotson showed up prominently in the goal line stand.