PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 ALL-CONFERENCE 2006

BIG_IKE
10/30/2006, 12:27 PM
At the midpoint of the season,

Who do you have as your all-conference selections?

I'll post mine in a sec..

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure on everyone, but here are a few thoughts on a few:

QB is a toss up. Have to consider Chase Daniel, Graham Harrell, Colt McCoy. Probably goes to Colt if he continues to play this well. I could see ENA getting honorable mention if he continues to play well - maybe even better. Bobby Reid could be in there, too. At this point, you'd have to put Colt in the lead, I think.

RB still has to go to AD, no? Maybe Selvin Young is second team. Or Brian Jackson. Maybe Javorsky Lane gets an honorable mention if he continues to be a factor?

WR - Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, and that big kid from ISU will all be in the mix.

O-line - At least 2 from Texas will get on the first team. Braxton would have made 2nd team if he'd have finished the year. Messner will get honorable mention.

TE - Joe Jon will get in there on second team, if not first team.

Offensive Newcomer of the Year - Chase Daniel.
Offensive Player of the Year - Can you give it to AD? Probably not. If not, could it possibly go to Colt? Unless Graham Harrell or Chase Daniel turns it on.

DEFENSE:

SS - Reggie Smith or Michael Griffin, first team. The other, second team.
CB - Aaron Ross will make 1st Team. If he finishes strong, Marcus Walker could make second team.
LB - Rufus will make first team. Latimer could slip in as 2nd team or honorable mention.
DE - This a tough one. Tim Crowder and Brian Robison will both be in there, at least one as first team. C J Ahyou will make 1st or 2nd Team. Karreker from Nebraska will get in there.
DT - Frank Okam will make 1st or 2nd Team. Carl Pendleton might get Honorable mention.
Defensive Newcomer: ????
Defensive Player of the Year: Aaron Ross

PK - Hartley, first team (unanimous).
P - ????
PR - Smith (if he gets healthy again) should get 1st or 2nd team. Ross might get in there, too.

No matter how you stack it, Texas is going to dominate this squad, I'm sorry to say.

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 01:30 PM
Punter is Daniel Sepulveda no question about it.

And as for Defensive Newcomer I'd humbly suggested Joe Pawelek who is the leading real freshman player in the country.

JohnnyMack
10/30/2006, 01:37 PM
I'd have to give the QB nod to McCoy. Everyone expected a huge drop off after Radio left, and while he doesn't have VY's wow factor, he does have 24 TD passes and did an admirable job of leading Saxet to two tough road wins.

I'm going to go throw up now.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 01:44 PM
Punter is Daniel Sepulveda no question about it.

And as for Defensive Newcomer I'd humbly suggested Joe Pawelek who is the leading real freshman player in the country.

Sepulveda is a lock - unanimous. Silly me for forgetting that. The locks are:

P - Sepulveda
PK - Hartley
RB - Peterson
OL - Studdard & Blalock
WR - Sweed

DE - Robison
DT - Okam
LB - Alexander
DB - Ross
DB - Griffen

Oh . . . and I forgot about the Tech receivers. Filani and/or Johnson will be in there somewhere, no doubt.

OSUAggie
10/30/2006, 01:55 PM
wow..... you guys are interesting sometimes

QB - Colt McCoy thus far
RB - I guess still Peterson, nobody really stepping up... Cornish might overtake... Lane if they have 2 backs... maybe
WR - Adarius Bowman
WR - Joel Filani
WR - Limas Sweed
Line - couple of UT guys... 1 or 2 Nebraska guys... toss-up on 5th

BTW, Matt Fodge, OSU punter, would lead the nation in punting if he had 1 more punt to qualify for # minimum

defense... eh... mostly on reputation, otherwise on stats that are somewhat pointless, other than sacks and picks

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 01:56 PM
defense... eh... mostly on reputation, otherwise on stats that are somewhat pointless, other than sacks and picks

You're totally right. Defensive statistics are utterly pointless. Why even have a defense??:confused: :les:

OSUAggie
10/30/2006, 02:04 PM
You're totally right. Defensive statistics are utterly pointless. Why even have a defense??:confused: :les:

they're not pointless, just for determining "best defensive players" defensive stats are often misleading... like, based on numbers, Harris would've never been All-Big XII or All-American, even though he was clearly the top DT in the land throughout his career...

Desert Sapper
10/30/2006, 02:07 PM
I think Duke makes the first team. People just like saying 'Duke'. How could they not?

I think the TE from Missouri is a lock for the 1st team.

PT is the #2 QB. Colt probably #1.

AD gets the spek and 1st team nod. AP is 2nd team.

Reggie and Ruuu are our other locks, IMO. Maybe Ah You.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 02:08 PM
they're not pointless, just for determining "best defensive players" defensive stats are often misleading... like, based on numbers, Harris would've never been All-Big XII or All-American, even though he was clearly the top DT in the land throughout his career...

fair point. the stats don't always tell the story. Reggie Smith is a good example of that this year. He affects the offense but has few opportunities for picks because they don't throw it his way very often. Certainly didn't early in the year when he was at CB.

OSUAggie
10/30/2006, 02:15 PM
fair point. the stats don't always tell the story. Reggie Smith is a good example of that this year. He affects the offense but has few opportunities for picks because they don't throw it his way very often. Certainly didn't early in the year when he was at CB.

exactly... but someone like JT Thatcher, who wasn't that great, had like 10 picks on balls that were thrown right to him, so he makes all-american (i think)... that's the problem with D stats....

BaronVonAggie
10/30/2006, 02:19 PM
McCoy and McGee have similar passing yardage stats and completion %. Colt has thrown 4 ints and McGee 1. McGee has also rushed for significantly more yardage.

McGee is the better QB, I know you feel the need to worship McCoy since he whipped you but McGee is a better all round QB despite the lovefest in the media for all things Cow.

MiccoMacey
10/30/2006, 02:20 PM
JT put himself in the right place at the right time and made the plays he's supposed to make. Nothing wrong with that.

AD has no reason to be on there. He's gone. Even if you only count up to this point, I still say someone injured should be left off.

Any list like this without Adarius Bowman on it is wrong.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 02:21 PM
McCoy and McGee have similar passing yardage stats and completion %. Colt has thrown 4 ints and McGee 1. McGee has also rushed for significantly more yardage.

McGee is the better QB, I know you feel the need to worship McCoy since he whipped you but McGee is a better all round QB despite the lovefest in the media for all things Cow.

The thread is about who will get the award, not who is the better QB. I'd take McGee any day of the week over McCoy. McGee is a complete stud, total competitor. Love that kid. Almost changed the outcome of the game in Norman last year.

But unless A&M upsets Texas, McCoy will get the award.

MiccoMacey
10/30/2006, 02:22 PM

That's because A&M hasn't played anybody. Their SOS is one of the worst. While Texas has played great teams, like Rice. And Sam Houston State. ;)

shankag
10/30/2006, 03:32 PM
No Martellus Bennett Love?

JohnnyMack
10/30/2006, 03:40 PM
Oh God we're being infiltrated by the cult. Must. Leave. Football. Board.

BIG_IKE
10/30/2006, 03:41 PM
Hmm....
A few players think are shoo in's are...

HArtley @ Kicker
Ross from Texass @ DB
McCoy is good, but not sure if he beats out Tech's guy.
Ruuu @ linebacker
Peterson @ RB...even with only 6 games!

I'd love to see Reggie get it too'.

BIG_IKE
10/30/2006, 03:51 PM
AGGIES....

McGee wont be on your All-conference list after the best defense in the conference finishes dealing with him.
And for the record, COLT MCCOY did not kick our asses.
Texas defensive adjustments in the 2nd half, and the hitting of their DB's is what beat us. That and the momentum took by turnovers and suspect calls. We shut them down for a good portion of the game.
And looking at MCgee's stats vs. McCoys...

MCgee
#26 in Pass Efficiency
1753 yards
11 TD's
1 INT
64.00% Completion Rate

Quality Opponents...

Missouri

McCoy
#7 in Pass Efficiency
1705 Yards
24 TD's
4 INT's
67.7 % Completion Rate

Quality Opponents: Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ohio State

Yeah, your right. Mcgee's numbers are better...lol

JohnnyMack
10/30/2006, 03:59 PM
McCoy and McGee have similar passing yardage stats and completion %.

No they don't, ****head.

Ruuuuuufus
10/30/2006, 04:01 PM
I'm not so sure Sepulveda is a lock... he is a good punter but right now there are 2 other guys in the South division with higher averages.

poke4christ
10/30/2006, 04:12 PM
I agree that Peterson should still be number 1 for RB. Bowman will be first team in WR and maybe D'juan will make an honorable mention. Matt Fodge should be first or second team punter.

As for the the QB, it's kind of up in the air. PT is performing great, but he isn't all big 12 quality. Unless Oklahoma wins the south, he doesn't get in. Reid and Colt are tops right now. Daniels will continue to drop as Missouri continues thier downward spiral, he's out. Taylor showed he couldn't perform under presure against OSU. McGee might contend, but he really hasn't done all that much, he just doesn't screw up.

I'd probably place the pecking order like this right now.

1. Colt
1. Reid
3. Thompson
4. Mcgee
5. Taylor
6. Daniels

Zach

OSUAggie
10/30/2006, 04:35 PM
I like McGee's #'s better than Reid's.. PT should get it just for the circumstances, although he won't... My vote is definitely for Bernard Jackson... what an unbelievable talent............................................ .............................

AustinTXHorn
10/30/2006, 04:49 PM
AGGIES....

McGee wont be on your All-conference list after the best defense in the conference finishes dealing with him.
And for the record, COLT MCCOY did not kick our asses.
Texas defensive adjustments in the 2nd half, and the hitting of their DB's is what beat us. That and the momentum took by turnovers and suspect calls. We shut them down for a good portion of the game.
And looking at MCgee's stats vs. McCoys...

MCgee
#26 in Pass Efficiency
1753 yards
11 TD's
1 INT
64.00% Completion Rate

Quality Opponents...

Missouri

McCoy
#7 in Pass Efficiency
1705 Yards
24 TD's
4 INT's
67.7 % Completion Rate

Quality Opponents: Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ohio State

Yeah, your right. Mcgee's numbers are better...lol
Don't bring facts into this. Even compare the two against Big 12 opponents.

82/135 (61%), 933 yards, 5 TD/1 INT (129.5 rating)
96/143 (67%), 1,071 yards, 16 TD/3 INT (162.8 rating)

This coming with identical Big 12 schedules to this point. Meaning that the combined conference records of both teams' opponents comes out to 11-13. McGee has been good, McCoy has been great. There is a difference.

Desert Sapper
10/30/2006, 05:37 PM
McCoy also has the best O-Line in the conference. And two of the best receivers. And a pretty good RB. And a pretty good defense. Just sayin'.

I thought he lit us up, and I have all the respect in the world for him for stepping into the face of pressure and making some key throws at RRS. I don't think he would beat our current D. Much has changed in the last 3 games.

McGee's stats won't look so good after this weekend.

AustinTXHorn
10/30/2006, 05:45 PM
McCoy also has the best O-Line in the conference. And two of the best receivers. And a pretty good RB. And a pretty good defense. Just sayin'.
This argument has never made sense to me. So are you saying Jason White didn't deserve the Heisman as much in 2003 because Fitzgerald and Manning played on significantly worse teams?

A player shouldn't get penalized for looking good just because the rest of their team is also good. It's like the Aggies who said the only reason Vince Young was better than Reggie McNeal was because of the team around them.

For the record (because I'm bored and looked it up), McGee is 7th in passing efficiency in Big 12 games. Behind Reid, McCoy, Harrell, Taylor, Daniel and Bell.

LysisAG
10/30/2006, 07:20 PM
McGee doesnt have great numbers because we dont have to rely on him to make great plays. He just needs to not make mistakes, which he dosent. 1 int from 225 passes. . . thats phenomenal. If we didnt have Jorvorskie Lane McGee would definitly have at least 5 if not 10 more TD passes.

If we ran a different offense Mcgee would look alot better in the stats. Hes all-conference material, but hes a very unlikely pick because of how we use him in our offense.

As far as Punter, either Daniel Sepulveda or Justin Brantly (whos averaging 46.8 yards a boot)

TE: Martellus Bennett; Leads the Big12 in overall yards(417), Leads in yards per reception for tights ends with more than 10 receptions (14.4), and is tied for 2nd in TD's (3)

EDIT: and yes, I personally dont think Jason White should have received the Heisman, Larry EARNED that award. But my vote is worth nothing.

birddog
10/30/2006, 07:39 PM
EDIT: and yes, I personally dont think Jason White should have received the Heisman, Larry EARNED that award. But my vote is worth nothing.

i think you could make the case that jason earned it as well.

top passer in the country on the #1 team doesn't necessarily mean he didn't earn it.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&SPSID=4577&SPID=190&DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=30292

Meisterman
10/30/2006, 08:37 PM
Has a freshman QB ever won 1st team Big 12 honors? Regardless, that is pretty impressive. Three more 3 years of McCoy and 2 years of Brantley to follow. No wonder Mack's limp is getting better.

BIG_IKE
10/30/2006, 08:57 PM
I wonder if Mack will have "relations" with Brantley too.

goingoneight
10/30/2006, 09:14 PM
I wonder if Mack will have "relations" with Brantley too.

Not if Josh tells him of the evils of all things horned. Hook em :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Collier11
10/30/2006, 09:23 PM
Some of you guys(including Ou fans) are being way too biased towards your own players, this is my look at it as of today, obviously this could change

qb- mccoy hands down , 2nd Reid
rb- Peterson and cornish(if patrick keeps up like he has and peterson doesnt make it back til bowl, he could sneak into 1st or 2nd team
te- Coffman, 2nd bennett
wr- Bowman and sweed, 2nd filani and kelly
line im not sure

dl wright from colorado and crowder, 2nd campbell from kstate and degrate from okie state

lb rufus, bowen isu, dizon cu
cb aaron ross and ???
s micheal griffith and reggie smith
k hartley
p sepulveda

stoopified
10/30/2006, 10:24 PM
Chase McDaniel played last year so he can't win newcomer of the year.I don't know about all-conference till the end of the season but McCoy is my reluctant but deserving choice as Off. Newcomer of the year.

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 10:29 PM
I'm not so sure Sepulveda is a lock... he is a good punter but right now there are 2 other guys in the South division with higher averages.

The Aggie punter has a higher average but not as many punts. In fact, he hasn't made enough punts yet for an official stat.