PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Bowden or Larry Coker, who's more deserving of getting fired/replaced?

JohnnyMack
10/30/2006, 12:06 PM
I put replaced in the title since you can't really fire Bobby Bowden.

Anyways, who needs to go him or Coker?

FSU is 4-4 and looks like a middle of the road ACC team.

The U is 5 - 3 and Coker seems to have lost control.

Thoughts?

snp
10/30/2006, 12:21 PM
Coker by far.

OUinFLA
10/30/2006, 12:21 PM
Bowden will not be fired.
Coker might

OUDoc
10/30/2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah, but Bowden had more years of poor performance lately, hasn't he?
Coker's future convicts were okay up until the last 2 years. And at least there's some fight left in them!

snp
10/30/2006, 12:43 PM
Bowden has also had infinite more good years. It's pretty easy to win a bunch of games when your entire offense and defense are going first round. Butch Davis left Coker a freaking gold mine, and he has been terrible once he has been using his own recruits.

They were down to using their punter as an extra WR. This is freaking Miami and they are short of WR? Does not compute.

Octavian
10/30/2006, 01:06 PM
No one knew who Florida State was until Bowden took over.

He won 2 national titles, finished in the top 5 for 14 straight years, played in 5 national title games, and won more games than Bear Bryant.

There's a larger-than-life statue of him in Tallahassee outside the field that's also named after him.

The Noles' slide started when his top assistants (save Mickey Andrews) took other HC jobs, and the program hasn't been the same since the 2000 NCG loss to Stoops and OU.

He also hired someone he couldn't fire as an OC - his son.

But IMO Bowden has accomplished enough that he deserves to stay if he wants.

Miami won 4 titles in less than 20 years prior to Coker's arrival.

Coker is too good of a man to have to coach in Coral Gables anyways, and the Canes have done nothing but decline during his tenure, embarrassing themselves and the sport along the way.

Bowden has also beat Coker the last two years head-to-head...probably with less talent.

If you took a vote among the fanbases though, they'd both be gone.

bixby28
10/30/2006, 01:40 PM
Bowden has more life left in him at FSU than Coker does at Miami. I think Bowden could stay another 3 or 4 years without a whole lot of complaints, but Coker should expect a U-Haul trailer at his driveway any week now.

Soonermagik
10/30/2006, 01:55 PM
Coker is a nice guy with a bunch of thugs who most coaches couldn't control. The problem for the U, and Florida State for that matter is they're both losing the recruiting battle. These schools aren't getting the top athletes any more since they are no longer winning.

*All schools will go eventually go up and down i.e. OU, Nebraska, Texas and USC are all examples. Every dog has his day, and right now both these programs are down a bit. Both coaches should be allowed to ride out a few down years IMHO.

KingDavid
10/30/2006, 02:10 PM
Coker is GONE, no question about it. The more interesting question is who will replace him . . .

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 04:23 PM
Bowden isn't the problem at FSU it's his assistants who is he unwilling to fire.
*cough*Steele*cough*

Scott D
10/30/2006, 04:28 PM
Yeah, but Bowden had more years of poor performance lately, hasn't he?
Coker's future convicts were okay up until the last 2 years. And at least there's some fight left in them!

Bowden did win the ACC last year...albeit in a Bill Snyder K-State 2003 kind of way.

mdklatt
10/30/2006, 04:55 PM
Coker is GONE, no question about it. The more interesting question is who will replace him . . .

We've got beaches!

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 05:15 PM
We've got beaches!

I bet they have a better Mary Kay market.

royalfan5
10/30/2006, 05:30 PM
Bowden isn't the problem at FSU it's his assistants who is he unwilling to fire.
*cough*Steele*cough*
Their defense isn't the problem, it's Jeff Bowden.

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 05:37 PM
Their defense isn't the problem, it's Jeff Bowden.
..................and Steele.

royalfan5
10/30/2006, 05:59 PM
..................and Steele.
Steele seemed to fit in just fine on some very successful NU staffs. Maybe it's just that Baylor is a Sunbelt program trying to play with the Big Boys.

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 06:18 PM
Steele seemed to fit in just fine on some very successful NU staffs. Maybe it's just that Baylor is a Sunbelt program trying to play with the Big Boys.

Yep, you guessed it. Steele was an AMAZING coach who was simply a victim of a program that can not win. Clearly, Steele is a hot coaching commodity.

Why, I remember all those times when players would screw up he'd coddle and hug them on the sideline with a pat on the head as they cried on his shoulder and tell them it was okay they "did their best."

Or those amazing game plans he'd unroll at each game. The breathtaking win/loss record. His ability to take a trained athlete out of HS and make them barely able to withstand the physical strain of an entire half of football. The inability of his staff to coach the line's to block, the LBs to tackle, or the QB to throw and actually complete a pass...(he was also the LBs coach). I think back to his amazing game day coaching skills that were presented in all their glory at the UNLV game. I loved the fact that he developed almost no relationship with high school coaches around the state and was content to recruit based on whoever was left after every other damned school in the country picked the state clean of all its talent.

He taught us that getting emotionally invested in a football game is unchristian so there's no reason to ever get mad about a call or even challenge an official...no need to get the team fired up before a game because this is Baylor damned it! Hell, we gave him an extension for it! Then there's those vegetarian meals because he didn't believe in eating meat.

Yes, Coach Carrot, the man who made pulling your pants up to your neckline fashionable is truly one of the unsung heroes of collegiate coaching.

royalfan5
10/30/2006, 06:25 PM
That doesn't make him a bad assistant though. If he was good enough to coach for Osborne, he is a good assistant.

Getem
10/30/2006, 06:27 PM
Bowden did win the ACC last year...albeit in a Bill Snyder K-State 2003 kind of way.

Speaking of Bill Snyder, I read a quote where he said he's been approached about coaching again, and is considering it. But right now, he's enjoying retirement. Putting 2 and 2 together, could it be Snyder with "the U" on the other side of the field next year?

SicEmBaylor
10/30/2006, 06:37 PM
That doesn't make him a bad assistant though. If he was good enough to coach for Osborne, he is a good assistant.

True.
I think his position coaching skills are at least somewhat suspect, but yeah I'd agree he's a much much better assistant than HC.

I simply continue to take pot shots at him whenever I possibly can because..you see...I hate him.

85sooners
10/30/2006, 06:53 PM
i hope neither because i like seeing them lose:pop:

goingoneight
10/30/2006, 09:00 PM
Bowden is one of my all-time favs. He's had great success and always gives credit where it's due. I remember when everyone disrespected Josh and Co. going into the 2000 OB, and even the players called it an "easy win." Bowden was quoted saying Josh was "brilliant" and "fiery" and said Stoops was an "amazing young head coach with nothing but a golden future ahead of him." I have that in a Sports Illustrated mag from December 2000. Switzer has said on several occasions that he has a lot of respect for BB, too... The right guy is in charge, you just kinda slip into mediocrity at times... OU, TX, ND, and USC all know what that's like. If Bowden goes and FSU doesn't get a seriously good replacement, FSU's gone with the wind, that's all there is to it...

crimson&cream
10/31/2006, 06:30 PM
No one knew who Florida State was until Bowden took over.

He won 2 national titles, finished in the top 5 for 14 straight years, played in 5 national title games, and won more games than Bear Bryant.

There's a larger-than-life statue of him in Tallahassee outside the field that's also named after him.

The Noles' slide started when his top assistants (save Mickey Andrews) took other HC jobs, and the program hasn't been the same since the 2000 NCG loss to Stoops and OU.

He also hired someone he couldn't fire as an OC - his son.

But IMO Bowden has accomplished enough that he deserves to stay if he wants.

Miami won 4 titles in less than 20 years prior to Coker's arrival.

Coker is too good of a man to have to coach in Coral Gables anyways, and the Canes have done nothing but decline during his tenure, embarrassing themselves and the sport along the way.

Bowden has also beat Coker the last two years head-to-head...probably with less talent.

If you took a vote among the fanbases though, they'd both be gone.
FSU did way back beat us in the Gator Bowl in 1964 36-19

KingDavid
10/31/2006, 07:04 PM
Speaking of Bill Snyder, I read a quote where he said he's been approached about coaching again, and is considering it. But right now, he's enjoying retirement. Putting 2 and 2 together, could it be Snyder with "the U" on the other side of the field next year?

This is a worthy question to discuss. Who will replace Coker? There's no way in hyell that Bowden gets replaced. Going to start new thread.

Octavian
10/31/2006, 07:49 PM
FSU did way back beat us in the Gator Bowl in 1964 36-19

By "no one knew who they were," I meant

"bowl win was an amazing year"

SoFla Sooner
10/31/2006, 11:01 PM
Part of me hates to see Coker get fired because I have seen first hand here what a first class guy he is and the many good things he has done for the University and the program. But hey, that's like WAY off subject huh. The team's losing big time. He's gone gone gone.

(too bad he's getting replaced though, because the humility from losing is really good for these UM fans)

stoopified
11/1/2006, 12:11 AM
Coker,but what the heck he could come back to Ok. and coach Fairfax.The only difference would be that they are now the Woodlands Cougars,not the Fairfax Red Devils.For those who don't know Coker was HC at Fairfax in the '70s.My JV squad played the Devils ,broke their 33 game(I think ) winnng streak.They still won the Class B title that year 3rd straight I think.

MamaMia
11/1/2006, 09:05 AM
I voted in the minority. Bobby Bowden has some of the best talent and yet cant seem to win the big ones.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/1/2006, 09:32 AM
True.
I think his position coaching skills are at least somewhat suspect, but yeah I'd agree he's a much much better assistant than HC.

I simply continue to take pot shots at him whenever I possibly can because..you see...I hate him.

Who doesn't hate that toolbag? His most notable contribution to football lore is nearly getting his *** kicked on the sidelines of an nfl game. Then he gets a head coaching gig.

Ahem, Bobby Bowden has earned the right to take that FSU program down in flames and keep his job. FSU was nothing without him. He earned them MILLIONS. I hate FSU, but I respect the work that Bowden has down to take a program that was on par with La-Monroe and give it a championship mentality. I also hate his sons. I wish they would just shut up.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/1/2006, 09:34 AM
Bowden is one of my all-time favs. He's had great success and always gives credit where it's due. I remember when everyone disrespected Josh and Co. going into the 2000 OB, and even the players called it an "easy win." Bowden was quoted saying Josh was "brilliant" and "fiery" and said Stoops was an "amazing young head coach with nothing but a golden future ahead of him." I have that in a Sports Illustrated mag from December 2000. Switzer has said on several occasions that he has a lot of respect for BB, too... The right guy is in charge, you just kinda slip into mediocrity at times... OU, TX, ND, and USC all know what that's like. If Bowden goes and FSU doesn't get a seriously good replacement, FSU's gone with the wind, that's all there is to it...

Hey, don't forget. CO and NE have had many sorry seasons. I just didn't want them to be left out.

EstablishedSooner1967
11/1/2006, 10:50 AM
they both should move on and let chizk have the job.