PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Walker

Widescreen
10/30/2006, 12:25 AM
I know it's early but is he the best corner we've had since Strait (or maybe since Onyenegecha :D)?

The guy always seems to be in the right place to make a play. Even when he gave up the deep pass early Saturday, he was in exactly the right place to make a play.

BASSooner
10/30/2006, 12:30 AM
He's one of the best lately, but he's no Derrick Strait

All_Day_28
10/30/2006, 01:25 AM
he is the best since Strait.. too bad they burned his redshirt.. I know he had some injuries the past couple of years, is it possible for him to get some kind of medical redshirt and get back a year of eligibilty?? I don't know how this works, can someone who's knowledgable please inform me??

instigator
10/30/2006, 09:20 AM
I think he could get a medical if he wanted one. Jason had 6 years of eligibility because of injury and Walker basically lost last season because of his shoulder.

jk the sooner fan
10/30/2006, 09:37 AM
with the exception of the blown coverage on that dropped pass early in the game, i think Lendy Holmes had one of his best games as well

Walker covered that one long reception about as well as you can cover a deep route.....the ball was perfectly thrown

Partial Qualifier
10/30/2006, 09:41 AM
Our secondary hasn't looked so sharp in a long time. Good to see :)

Mjcpr
10/30/2006, 09:43 AM
Walker covered that one long reception about as well as you can cover a deep route.....the ball was perfectly thrown

Yep....I think that's the one Davie kept saying he misplayed but I didn't think so, looked like he played it perfectly and missed knocking it down by an eyelash and they just made a great play.

trpltongue
10/30/2006, 09:57 AM
I'd have to say that Reggie Smith is the best corner we've had since Strait, probably better than Strait. It's too bad our safety's are so bad that Smith can't play the position he's best at.

Also, Walker was covering on that deep ball and had great position but let up and then didn't even jump to block the ball. It was a great thrown ball but he could and should have broken up the play. Also he was burned at lest twice later in the game, once when Smith destroyed the receiver causing the drop and again on a play when we were fortunate and Missou's QB didn't see the receiver running wide open.

So in summary, Walker has the potential to be very good, but right now he is not there yet.

IMO

birddog
10/30/2006, 10:01 AM
smith hasn't played corner enough to really say that, considering he's playing safety.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/30/2006, 10:12 AM
Personally I think Reggie could play kicker and be all Big XII by end of the year...he is that damm good!

trpltongue
10/30/2006, 10:14 AM
Smith has only been playing safety for the last 5 games. For the first 3 games he played incredible corner. The only reason we moved him to safety is because Keenan Clayton couldn't tackle and Nic Harris couldn't cover. Smith blanketed his receivers at corner and I don't recall any receptions against him. He is a GREAT cornerback that just so happens to be our best safety as well.

critical_phil
10/30/2006, 10:18 AM
Also he was burned at lest twice later in the game, once when Smith destroyed the receiver causing the drop

holmes was the underneath guy on this play. also, i wouldn't call him "burned" either since he got a hand on the ball.

Scott D
10/30/2006, 10:24 AM
Smith has only been playing safety for the last 5 games. For the first 3 games he played incredible corner. The only reason we moved him to safety is because Keenan Clayton couldn't tackle and Nic Harris couldn't cover. Smith blanketed his receivers at corner and I don't recall any receptions against him. He is a GREAT cornerback that just so happens to be our best safety as well.

yeah except he played it in 12 games last season.

MiccoMacey
10/30/2006, 10:50 AM
I'd have to say that Reggie Smith is the best corner we've had since Strait, probably better than Strait. It's too bad our safety's are so bad that Smith can't play the position he's best at.

Also, Walker was covering on that deep ball and had great position but let up and then didn't even jump to block the ball. It was a great thrown ball but he could and should have broken up the play. Also he was burned at lest twice later in the game, once when Smith destroyed the receiver causing the drop and again on a play when we were fortunate and Missou's QB didn't see the receiver running wide open.

So in summary, Walker has the potential to be very good, but right now he is not there yet.

IMO

Which is it? Is he better than Strait, as you stated, ordoes he just have potential to be good at a later date, as you also stated. 'Cause Strait didn't just have potential to be great. He was great. One of the best cb's OU's ever had.

Not knocking Marcus...most of you guys know I am the President of his fan club...but this didn't make any sense to me.

trpltongue
10/30/2006, 11:09 AM
Micco,

I'm not sure what you mean? I said that Smith is as good or better than Strait, and that Walker has the potential to be very good but is not there yet.

Scott,

Again, the only reason Smith played safety last year was because we didn't have anyone else to play there. He was very well regarded as a corner last year by the coaches.

critical_phil,

I didn't realize Holmes was the underneath guy on that play. For some reason I thought it was Walker. Also, the only reason he got a hand on it was because it was underthrown. The receiver had separation.

Don't get me wrong, I think Walker is going to be a very good cornerback. I also think Holmes is going to be very good. The two of them just need to work on their coverage skills in the first 5 yards. They often miss the stuff at the line and are playing catchup. Fortunately they're usually quick enough to get back, but they keep making the same mistake. However, Smith has shown more at CB in his limited time at the position than both of these guys have. It's just too bad that he has to play safety.

Desert Sapper
10/30/2006, 11:10 AM
It might be that we need a good Safety. Could be that Reggie has a good enough head on his shoulders to be in position at Safety. He has the physical abilities to play corner, but he also has the physical abilities to play safety and could be of more benefit there, because it doesn't seem like anybody else has the head for it. As long as we don't lose anybody, this could be one of the best secondaries we've ever had next year and (possibly) in '08. I just don't want to see the position carousel again.

trpltongue
10/30/2006, 11:13 AM
Desert,

I think you're exactly right. We need safety's more than CB's and Smith is the best safety we have right now. Lot's of people were expecting big things from Kennan Clayton but he hasn't developed yet. I hope he does because the Coaches were really talking him up.

Scott D
10/30/2006, 11:31 AM
I wasn't arguing why he played safety, just pointing out he's played it more than just 5 games this season.

picasso
10/30/2006, 11:33 AM

IMO
I doubt OU has ever had a better corner than Strait. he had one the finest careers possible in college.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 11:45 AM
I doubt OU has ever had a better corner than Strait. he had one the finest careers possible in college.

i'd argue darrell royal, others would say "who?"

jk the sooner fan
10/30/2006, 11:49 AM
rickey dixon was no slouch

and you'd be correct to argue Royal

i'd like to see a well thought out list to the 10 best linebackers in OU history.....there's a name i think should be on there, but i bet most would leave him off

picasso
10/30/2006, 11:49 AM
i'd argue darrell royal, others would say "who?"
yes, I'm sure we both enjoyed watching him play every week.:D

I can recall many good one's we had under Switzer but Derrick was good from day one as a red/frosh.
helluva career Jerry.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 12:04 PM
i was watching some of the 1950 season on ozone. royal could have had 40 ints for his career. he knocked so many down on 4th down it wasn't even funny (since the punt apparently wasn't legal or some crap).

i think defensive back would be a much easier list than linebacker. there are so many good linebackers, it isn't even funny...

jk the sooner fan
10/30/2006, 12:09 PM
well there are 2 from the 50's era that would have to be on the list.....Tubbs and Burris

just my opinion

and its fun to watch those games from the 50's..........wish i could find some old 50's games on DVD for a gift for my dad

MiccoMacey
10/30/2006, 12:13 PM
Micco,

I'm not sure what you mean? I said that Smith is as good or better than Strait, and that Walker has the potential to be very good but is not there yet.

Crap, me and my bad reading comprehension. I thought you were talking about Walker in both sentences.

Mea culpa, mea culpa.

okienole3
10/30/2006, 12:17 PM

i'd like to see a well thought out list to the 10 best linebackers in OU history.....there's a name i think should be on there, but i bet most would leave him off

Dante Jones?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 12:26 PM
i'm surprised soonersports doesn't sell them. it looks like they only go back to 75 now though

Tear Down This Wall
10/30/2006, 12:51 PM
My, my...how quickly some of us forget about Antonio Perkins.

picasso
10/30/2006, 01:07 PM

Dixon was a free safety.

Andra Johnson might have been a comparable player to Strait had he not been injured in the wreck. he was stud from day one as a red/frosh.

Rhino
10/30/2006, 01:13 PM
My, my...how quickly some of us forget about Antonio Perkins. What's there to remember?

He was an out-of-this-world punt returner.
He was a very, very mediocre cornerback.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 01:18 PM
remember when we were playing mark bradley at corner? good times, good times. luckily his knee hurt so bad playing it they moved him back to receiver...

jk the sooner fan
10/30/2006, 01:27 PM
thanks for the correction on dixon

MiccoMacey
10/30/2006, 02:06 PM
remember when we were playing mark bradley at corner? good times, good times. luckily his knee hurt so bad playing it they moved him back to receiver...

Remember when Stoops originally had Jason White playing as a corner his freshman year just so he could get his best players on the field?

Good times. Good times.

:D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 02:26 PM
thanks for the correction on dixon

dixon was drafted into the NFL as a corner and in essence he played that at OU. the 5-2 that gibbs ran had the FS man up on opposing WRs a LOT...

picasso
10/30/2006, 02:44 PM
dixon was drafted into the NFL as a corner and in essence he played that at OU. the 5-2 that gibbs ran had the FS man up on opposing WRs a LOT...
ok but he played FS at OU.:) I recall vividly because my boy Scott Garl was strong safety then and in turn Scott's final season he was moved to corner and made all Big 8.
Dixon's famous pick at Nebraska in '87 from from the safety spot.

if we're throwing safeties into the best corner category that's opening up an entirely different list. I'll say Darrel Ray needs a mention.;)

starrca23
10/30/2006, 03:26 PM
I think Reggie will be a great Saftey. Did you see that hit? To me that is what has been missing from the D. That hard hitter. Guys seem to drop more balls when they know there is a hitter back there. (makes me rember the good old days with superman back there and up there and everywhere.)

Desert Sapper
10/30/2006, 03:28 PM
I want to say that kid Hawkins would have been something special, but alas...

Strait was the best I've seen in person.

jk the sooner fan
10/30/2006, 03:40 PM
hitting isnt the only thing that makes a safety "great"

coverage counts.....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/30/2006, 03:48 PM
hitting isnt the only thing that makes a safety "great"

coverage counts.....

why do you hate scott hill? (http://www.jimsoklahomasportspage.com/videos/thehit1.mpg)

:pop: ;)

jk the sooner fan
10/30/2006, 03:57 PM
man he was a headhunter.....fun to watch

Harry Beanbag
10/30/2006, 05:29 PM

Paul Migliazzo?

And getting back to Walker, I love the decisiveness and attitude he brings to the corner position. Since Strait left, the CBs have been fairly passive for a mulititude of reasons I'm sure. It looks like it may be rubbing off on Holmes now.

critical_phil
10/30/2006, 05:38 PM
why do you hate scott hill? (http://www.jimsoklahomasportspage.com/videos/thehit1.mpg)

:pop: ;)

i don't think this is the proper forum to discuss his business practices....

tulsaoilerfan
10/30/2006, 09:20 PM
If we are talking safeties now, the name Randy Hughes should be very high on that list; he probably would have had a long NFL career without all the shoulder problems

All_Day_28
10/31/2006, 02:58 AM
Boz? :confused:

RedstickSooner
10/31/2006, 10:10 AM
Boz? :confused:

Dangit. You beat me to it. I'm pretty sure that's who he meant.

Most people, you see, only think of The Boz as an actor -- they don't realize that he actually had a pretty good collegiate career as a linebacker!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2006, 11:53 AM
when you are the only 2 time butkus award winner in history, you tend to be at the top of "who's best" lists...

Harry Beanbag
10/31/2006, 03:27 PM
Dangit. You beat me to it. I'm pretty sure that's who he meant.

Most people, you see, only think of The Boz as an actor -- they don't realize that he actually had a pretty good collegiate career as a linebacker!

Shirley, you can't be serious. :confused:

Widescreen
10/31/2006, 04:21 PM
Why wouldn't Shirley be serious? I've often heard Boz compared to Kenneth Brannagh.